• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

eelhead

eelhead

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Yeah it was the right ohms but wrong watts lol but all in all the thing is fine and I'm happy now lol

eelhead

eelhead

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Well It looks like I will be getting a mobo tray and opening up that back more for some PCI slot action.
I got a couple of things today and one is a homemade airport card that goes in the little white PCI slot and the rear fans are there :/ and I can't raise the mobo up more because I need all four main PCI openings lol.
So I just tore it all apart while I have to bring my 24" Apple monitor in for a looking at I will do some more modding.

zammykoo

zammykoo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
are you talking about the Winking adapter mod? I can't seem to find that card anywhere on the net...

But anyway, here's Part 2 of my optical disc drive button relocation:

I found a thin aluminum rod at a local art supply store that fits nicely through the front grid holes. It has 3/32" (2.38mm) diameter.
Attached File  G5_project30.jpg   222.57KB   144 downloads
Attached File  G5_project31.jpg   271.67KB   214 downloads

Can you spot where it is??
Attached File  G5_project32.jpg   478.08KB   242 downloads

There it is!
Attached File  G5_project33.jpg   299.65KB   283 downloads

eelhead

eelhead

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Nice and hidden!

Looking good :wacko:

Yeah it is the Winking Airport mod but I I didn't get the same exact one. I did get the 3.5v or 3.3 I can't remember lol but it should all still plug and play.

zammykoo

zammykoo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Nice and hidden!

Looking good :rolleyes:

Yeah it is the Winking Airport mod but I I didn't get the same exact one. I did get the 3.5v or 3.3 I can't remember lol but it should all still plug and play.

Thanks man!

I may do the airport mod once I get osx running on the rig

dolan

dolan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
zammykoo, how did you keep the PCI cards inside the motherboard? I was thinking surely gravity will pull the heavy graphics card and other pci cards and will put loads of stress on the motherboard? So a motherboard tray with a PCI brackey thingy is needed?

If you have this, where did you buy one? I'm trying to find one now and Lian Li's ones are all sold out

this is what I am trying to look for:
http://www.kustompcs.../info_2010.html

zammykoo

zammykoo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
dolan, I custom fabbed my own aluminum bracket that 'hangs' the graphics card to the ceiling divider. It works quite well, and also did not need to drill any holes in the case because I shared the same screw holes as the hdd tray.

You can kind of see it here, but I can post more pics if needed
Attached File  G5_project24.jpg   464.41KB   411 downloads

And yes, I am using a mobo tray.... I didn't buy mine because I salvaged an old pc case I had, severed the mobo side panel off with an angle grinder :)

I also had the PCI support holder installed initially, but decided to replace it with the custom bracket to improve airflow.

eelhead

eelhead

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I picked up another case zammy.
So now I have three others and of course the one I have done with my hack in. I am thinking of doing a how too on a cut mod and a no cut mod. I will use you board but wait a bit before I go in the waiting list, I have to get things ready. What I was thinking was setting them up for all hardware and then throwing them on eBay ready to have hardware installed for those who don't want to do it. I might also snag a Mac Pro and try a mod with that one as well. We shale see.
The one the was bent on shipping I straightened out and now all I have to do is JB weld the screw studs back into there openings. Hopefully I can recoup some money by selling all the other parts to these machines lol.

zammykoo

zammykoo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
eelhead,

very nice! was it hard to straighten it out? what did you use?

I've been really thinking about Mac Pro's as well. I am not sure about the amount of ppl who would want to do a no-cut MP mod. What do you think?

eelhead

eelhead

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Well the middle section was a slight pain in the {censored} to take apart but once out you have enough room to hand straighten the lower legs/stands. I used nothing but my hands to bend them back into shape. I was kinda worried but after moving the aluminum some realized that it's really soft to move about.

I'm not sure about the MP, I really think that the G5 is just roomier for what we want to do. I like the idea of dual optical drives but the PSU placement drives me nuts lol, I like the PSU on the bottom.
I will see about getting my hands on one like I said and going from there about no cut mod on that case. I honestly think a no cut might be better with a MP.

dolan

dolan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
i see i see, very interesting.. with your aluminium hand made bracket thingy... would all the PCI cards rest on top of each other? isnt that abit hard for the motherboard?

zammykoo

zammykoo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Well it probably won't work if you use more than one card, not this design at least, since I made it to support just the graphic card's weight.

Maybe if you drill holes down the side of the bracket, so when you install more cards you can screw them in place.

Gus.Carrie

Gus.Carrie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
Hey zammy.
Right, I'm now planning to sell the g5 case I've modded so I've installed a tact switch for the disk drive.

How did you make that metal rod stick to the end of your tact switch, unfortunately whilst buying the switch i wasn't really thinking and went for one with a rubber button with a little dimple on it. So it doesn't reach through the holes in the g5 case but i do have a large surface to glue too.

Next, how did you actually stick the whole tact switch assemble to the side of the case? I would like to put mine where eelhead put his, under the carry handle. But did you just glue yours to the top of your disk drive so it was through the front of the case when the disk drive was installed?

Cheers gus.

zammykoo

zammykoo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Gus, you are selling your case?? Are you planning on getting something else?

I super glued the metal rod to my switch and mounted the the switch board to the ceiling of the case with heavy duty double sided tape (i love this stuff). That way if I need to replace my optical drive, my switch is not in the way.

Hope that helps!

eelhead

eelhead

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
What!?! Selling your case Gus?
You didn't mention that on my thread ;)
Like zammy asked, are you getting a new one or what's the plan?

Gus.Carrie

Gus.Carrie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
Yeah, going to sell it all. So its a completely modded case with internals. And yeah, i do want to get another g5 and do it differently, mATX, Zammykoo rear io, front panel cable, power supply inside original housing. That sorta thing. But i have so many projects i want to start.

Anyway, so can you see the tape through the holes in the case? I want to avoid them being filled with glue if i use it. I have double sided foam tape, but i don't know if it would be strong enough. I'm also really annoyed i didnt put a connector in the circuit somewhere, allowing the cd drive to be removed without removing the tact switch.

zammykoo

zammykoo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Gus, the tape is pretty much impossible to see because it is wedged in between the case ceiling and the switch board. Better yet, you can't really even see the switch board because of the narrow gap between the disc drive and the ceiling.

And for the tape... you are right, you should use something heavier duty than foam tape. The kind I have is for automotive use, 3M brand. I'm sure you can find it at a local auto parts store.

Also looking forward to your new build!

Gus.Carrie

Gus.Carrie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
Yeah i have automotive grade too. Still dont trust it. I'm going to have to figure this out. I cut my board really small thinking i was being clever. No, however, its very annoying.

panzer

panzer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Hello everyone,

I'm planning of doing the same "no-cut G5 mod" soon.
zammykoo, would you mind to help me a bit if I ask you few things about the front i/o wiring and the rear i/o wiring when I'll start my mod ?

The project has not started yet though.

zammykoo

zammykoo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
@billy_rk

Yes, of course. That's what we're here for right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy