Asus P8P67 Pro install guide

Guest ^Andy^

663 posts in this topic

Guest ^Andy^
Hi, Andy First I would like to thank you for taking the time to make this CD and Guide.

I am having issues installing this on my computer here are my specs.

Asus p8h67-m pro

Intel i5 2500k

Ati Radeon HD 5570

Crucial DDR3 Ram

Seagate 1 tb Hard drive

In the Bios I loaded Defaults and changed sata to AHCI and thats it.

I made an install USB from a retail DMG and im using your bootloader. I put in your disc along with with the USB Flash Drive, and the installer boots up fine I Partition the Hard drive to Mac Extended (Journaled) then I hit customize and I remove all the languages and printer's etc... then I hit install this is where my problem is, it goes down to about half way threw then it gives me a screen with an exclamation mark and says

Install Failed

Mac OS X could not be installed on your computer

The Installer Could Not copy the Necessary support Files

click ok to restart your computer and try installing again.

I already tried taking out a stick of ram and the Graphics Card.

Please help ;) And Thanks in Advance.

Sounds more likely that the problem is with the install usb stick. Have you tried using the original dvd instead?

Sounds more likely that the problem is with the install usb stick. Have you tried using the original dvd instead?

I do not have the dvd, to make sure I restored the dmg again onto the usb flash drive and it gives me the error at the same exact spot.

Guest ^Andy^
What version of OSX retail do I need? Will 10.6.7 be fine? Also will I benefit a ton over it being the pro board over the plain board in any way?

Is there a retail 10.6.7 install dvd?

I've done several builds using 10.6.3 and then updating to 10.6.7 and also using the mbp 2011 10.6.6 dvd and upgrading to 10.6.7 afterwards.

I don't know the full differences between the pro and the standard board other than audio and lan so I can't help you on that front.

Just wanted to say thanks for getting me started with this.

Between ^Andy^, who appeared almost everywhere I hunted for solutions, and everyone else's input, I have managed to get the P8P67 installed and stable for the most part. I also managed to learn a great deal of information I was ignorant to along the way. I'm still learning new things.

P8P67 Pro

I5-2500k

Saphire 5850

I reset my bios to "Optimized Defaults" - the only way this worked.

1 RAM module 2GB

Unplugged optional equipment.

DVD Drive - Intel 3gig SATA

WD FAL(Blue) 1 TB Hard Drive - Intel 6gig SATA

My LG DVD Drive wouldn't work or it worked extremely slow, so I switched it to an unbranded Sony DVD Drive.

Used Andy's boot cd to install 10.6.3

Rebooted using the boot cd.

Opened [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]

Installed 10.6.7 combo update, no restart.

Ran [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with System, FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement

Ran Andy's P8P67 Pro Install Package

Ran BridgeHelper

Rebooted to a nice looking desktop, I get waves when I drop widgets on dashboard and Cinebench runs.

I can not run DVD Player or Geekbench, still haven't figured that out. Something to do with the ATI framebuffer.

I still have 2 problems with my build.

1. My audio is still not working even though i've tried almost every method for audio.

i think im going to rage quit at life!

2. I know this is with the andy boot Bootloader, but with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] legacy, i still have to boot snow leopard from the bootloader and every time i try to boot directly from the hard drive, i get this error message:

boot0: GPT

boot0: test

boot0: error

Please help me! Thanks!

Is there a retail 10.6.7 install dvd?

I've done several builds using 10.6.3 and then updating to 10.6.7 and also using the mbp 2011 10.6.6 dvd and upgrading to 10.6.7 afterwards.

I don't know the full differences between the pro and the standard board other than audio and lan so I can't help you on that front.

The M-Pro will work the same though, any differences there?

1. My audio is still not working even though i've tried almost every method for audio.

2. I know this is with the andy boot Bootloader, but with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] legacy, i still have to boot snow leopard from the bootloader and every time i try to boot directly from the hard drive, i get this error message:

Please help me! Thanks!

Is your drive bigger than 1 terrabyte? I get this error when trying to boot from a volume bigger than 1T.

Andy,

Thanks man this was really painless took me a couple of hours using your boot CD, this is the second hack I've done (the first was an HP dv6 i7 lappy which was a pita). I've been using Macs for 20 years and this was a little bit more involved than installing on a real Mac but not by much.

I didn't even touch the BIOS settings left them as they where over clocked for windows.

Installed SL 10.6.3, updated to 10.6.7, installed your ASUS package, rebooted could not get GFX working (installed the TonyMac NVIDIA CUDA package but still not GFX (QE etc), set GraphicsEnabler=Yes and PCIRoot=0 to 2, 1 caused KP. 0 and 2 did nothing, thinking I was onto something I pulled the 9800GT I had for PhysX and GFX work fine now using PCIRoot=1, none of the Fermi freeze people are reporting.

After that I put my MacBook Pro in target disk mode and plugged it in thru FIrewire and run Migration Assistant transferred my user acc and apps for the MBP.

I have to use arch=i386 because of the Ralink 2500 USB Wi-Fi dongle I have, system works fine in 64bit mode but no Wi-Fi

Only think I need to play with is a DSDT and see if I can run the system with the 9800GT in it (any ideas?)

Onboard sound is untested (BOSE Companion 5's work great through USB), Firewire & USB2 work, USB3 untested.

System seems rock solid and very fast.

Thanks very much for your hard work.

brams

Please help me! Thanks!

I would try installing Andy's package again. My audio wasn't working even though I copied the install package to my hard drive before running it as per the instructions. I ran the package again and the audio kexts installed properly the second time.

Was wondering if you guys know if the 10.6.0 SL dvd will work with this method or do I need a 10.6.3 Dvd?

Also was wondering if this technique could be tested out inside Virtualbox first as I already have Win 7 installed and rather not kill that installation if I dont have to...

thanks!

Trying to get my ATI 5770 installed and having some difficulties.

With your bootCD, does it support injection commands? Does graphicsenabler=yes work as it does with chameleon?

Tried installing the package to allow you to book chameleon, but I have the non-pro version of the motherboard and when I try to use chameleon it thinks I have an xeon 1 ghz processor lol. so i'm stuck with your bootcd for now.

thanks for everything

Andy, thanks for the guide. I'm getting a SB system setup and I was wondering how up to date this guide is? For example, do you still use your bootloader or do you use RevoBoot, or something else?

Do you still use MacPro5,1? Or did you switch to iMac, and what DSDT do you use? And probably some other things I forgot.

This is my experience:

Boot with Andy cd: ok

Installation from Dvd :ok

Combo Update 10.6.7 and and p8p67 Install package without reboot:ok.

The first time, I rebooted my system after combo update and i obtained video hangs on apple logo.

So i installed p8p67 package after combo update without reboot and it worked.

The only problem is with my Radeon 5870 on display port: i obtain video output only on dvi port and i need the disconnect the displayport cable because if i left it connected the output through dvi port is as secondary monitor.

Any ideas to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I want to first thank Andy and the other pioneers that has made this project so fun. First thing though I have a P8P67 Deluxe and after swapping DVDs the SL10.6.0 install would reboot the system after saying 'DRMOS has arrived'. The only error message it put out was about the ioctrl driver being unsupported or something like that. So I couldn't even get into the installer with -x switch or using PciRoot=1,2 or 0. I disabled as many unneccessary devices in bios as I could. The hard drive though was on the Sata2 port as I am assuming sata3 port would be complicated maybe...

BUT: Thank god for VirtualBox!

Was able to follow your guide within Virtualbox's environment in Windows 7 and have it up and running. All I know is that ethernet is working and usb access. Didn't have time to check other devices. Thing is I am happy with it running in a virtual environment. Less chance of hardware compatibility issues and multibooting setups are a pain...

BTW: Pressing F5 after swapping DVDs was the key to almost success in the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] preloader environment. Was weird in that just pressing enter resulted in immediate kernel panic..

Man this was fun!

Hi,

I want to first thank Andy and the other pioneers that has made this project so fun. First thing though I have a P8P67 Deluxe and after swapping DVDs the SL10.6.0 install would reboot the system after saying 'DRMOS has arrived'. The only error message it put out was about the ioctrl driver being unsupported or something like that. So I couldn't even get into the installer with -x switch or using PciRoot=1,2 or 0. I disabled as many unneccessary devices in bios as I could. The hard drive though was on the Sata2 port as I am assuming sata3 port would be complicated maybe...

BUT: Thank god for VirtualBox!

Was able to follow your guide within Virtualbox's environment in Windows 7 and have it up and running. All I know is that ethernet is working and usb access. Didn't have time to check other devices. Thing is I am happy with it running in a virtual environment. Less chance of hardware compatibility issues and multibooting setups are a pain...

BTW: Pressing F5 after swapping DVDs was the key to almost success in the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] preloader environment. Was weird in that just pressing enter resulted in immediate kernel panic..

Man this was fun!

Hi you can't use 10.6.0 you have to use a "retail 10.6.3" or later, it installed yesterday on my P8P67-M-Pro and it was mega easy. Using this boot CD and thread. I also noticed that you run SLI and run a 9600 GSO for PhysX, mine kept panicking (GTX 480 as primary VGA and 9800 GT for PhysX), I removed the 9800GT and PCIroot=1 and everything went fine after that.

Cheers

brams

This is my experience:

Boot with Andy cd: ok

Installation from Dvd :ok

Combo Update 10.6.7 and and p8p67 Install package without reboot:ok.

The first time, I rebooted my system after combo update and i obtained video hangs on apple logo.

So i installed p8p67 package after combo update without reboot and it worked.

The only problem is with my Radeon 5870 on display port: i obtain video output only on dvi port and i need the disconnect the displayport cable because if i left it connected the output through dvi port is as secondary monitor.

Any ideas to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance

You may need to try a few different framebuffers or failing that revert back to the 10.6.6 ati kexts (as you are using a 5870 you don't need the 10.6.7 mbp ATI kexts)

You can select which framebuffer to use by using AtiConfig=xx (where xx is the framebuffer to use) at the boot prompt.

As always make a backup first because if it goes pear shaped I don't want a guilt complex! :P

So a lot of the ATI drivers have you replace the /boot image after installing the latest chameleon.

I tried just replacing the /boot image with your loader, and got a black screen shortly after startup. Just wondering if you think we can swap out the /boot image. Since all the x64 bit 5xxx drivers include swapping out the boot image, does this mean we can't have those drivers? Or is there another reason for my bug? thanks

So a lot of the ATI drivers have you replace the /boot image after installing the latest chameleon.

I tried just replacing the /boot image with your loader, and got a black screen shortly after startup. Just wondering if you think we can swap out the /boot image. Since all the x64 bit 5xxx drivers include swapping out the boot image, does this mean we can't have those drivers? Or is there another reason for my bug? thanks

If you are swapping the boot image you need to be sure that you are swapping it with a compatible chameleon build - i.e rc5.

Im a little unlear what you are actually swapping. Are you swapping the loader that has already been installed by the package with a different one or are you trying to overwrite your existing loader with the one from the package?

Hi Andy,

What graphic card will be best for your installation procedure? There will be no gaming, but intensive photography and video works.

I am planning on getting this MSI 5770 Hawk, will there be any modification to be done during installation? (Asus P8P67 Pro, Intel i7-2600k)

Thanks.

Hi you can't use 10.6.0 you have to use a "retail 10.6.3" or later, it installed yesterday on my P8P67-M-Pro and it was mega easy. Using this boot CD and thread. I also noticed that you run SLI and run a 9600 GSO for PhysX, mine kept panicking (GTX 480 as primary VGA and 9800 GT for PhysX), I removed the 9800GT and PCIroot=1 and everything went fine after that.

Cheers

brams

Then can I put the physx card back after the install?

Also I have to say its awesome running it in Virtualbox!

Thanks