[Guide] Installing Mac OS X Lion (Developer Preview)

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

Poll: Please answer the poll! (62 member(s) have cast votes)

Did this help you?

1. Yes (28 votes [42.42%])

Percentage of vote: 42.42%

2. No (18 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

3. Somewhat helped (16 votes [24.24%])

Percentage of vote: 24.24%

4. Destroyed my system (4 votes [6.06%])

Percentage of vote: 6.06%

Vote Guests cannot vote

DaviDemon

DaviDemon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Ah yeah, I just realised that, thanks for pointing it out though. I will update the file again.

jmacie

jmacie

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Alright cool, maybe I'll try expand on different boot loaders and drivers. Congrats though.

DaviDemon,
Thank you for this, but it's not working for me. I DO appreciate how you've put it together. I am not a complete novice, but have tried all the methods in the other section and yours.
First it's unclear here: in your step #4 the formatted usb drive. Is it mbr or guid partition that's formatted to “Mac OS Extended (Journaled). ( I chose mbr)
Next, in step #14:
I use terminal a little, but the practice of setting permissions after pasting kexts is not something I'm used to, so ,
"type the following (drag and drop FakeSMC.kext):

sudo su
chown –R 0:0 FakeSMC.kext
chmod –R 755 FakeSMC.kext
I tried, and tried, and googled and tried some more, I understand your not giving terminal lessons, but, I swear, I cannot get this to take. I changed and dragged the proper directory over to terminal, after copying the kext to the extension folder on usb stick, Is there a simple explanation you can give me. And the ##### stick, I use an asus board, so maybe that's the problem, but I've tried xpc, xpc w/#####, ##### alone, and all I get upon booting are the words in RED, "MBR" with a warning to remove disk and press any key to restart, but maybe it's my asus board, I've been reading alot of asus people saying they're having problems with the usb stick not booting. Thank's again, I'm sure I will figure it out later on. I did manage to at least get it on fusion and workstation. I just wanted to give it a quality graphics try. thanks again, johnm

DaviDemon

DaviDemon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

DaviDemon,
Thank you for this, but it's not working for me. I DO appreciate how you've put it together. I am not a complete novice, but have tried all the methods in the other section and yours.
First it's unclear here: in your step #4 the formatted usb drive. Is it mbr or guid partition that's formatted to “Mac OS Extended (Journaled). ( I chose mbr)
Next, in step #14:
I use terminal a little, but the practice of setting permissions after pasting kexts is not something I'm used to, so ,
"type the following (drag and drop FakeSMC.kext):

sudo su
chown –R 0:0 FakeSMC.kext
chmod –R 755 FakeSMC.kext
I tried, and tried, and googled and tried some more, I understand your not giving terminal lessons, but, I swear, I cannot get this to take. I changed and dragged the proper directory over, after copying the kext to the extension folder on usb stick, Is there a simple explanation you can give me. And the ##### stick, I use an asus board, so maybe that's the problem, but I've tried xpc, xpc w/#####, ##### alone, and all I get iupon booting are the words in RED, "MBR" with a warning to remove disk and press any key to restart, but maybe it's my asus board, I've been reading alot of asus people saying they're having problems with the usb stick not booting. Thank's again, I'm sure I will figure it out later on. I did manage to at least get it on fusion and workstation. I just wanted to give it a quality graphics try. thanks again, johnm

Alright, sorry for being unclear. I will update the PDF soon.

First, Use GUID partition, as it works well with Mac OS.

Second, this is what I really mean:

sudo su
chown -R 0:0 [then drag the FakeSMC.kext in "System > Library> Extensions" directory into the "Terminal.app" window, and press Enter]
chmod - R 755 [same process as above]

I also use an ASUS motherboard, are you installing ##### properly? My mobo boots from USB/CD perfectly, so I'm not sure what is wrong here.

I hope it goes well over there.

Dellmantt

Dellmantt

STILL LEARNING

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

For some reason the download "link" in the pdf doesn't link...

Works for me ;)

jmacie

jmacie

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Yeah, Thanks, I'll keep trying, I'm sure appreciative of your help, as, the other thread was little pieces that didn't fit together. I'm gonna try again! johnm

DaviDemon

DaviDemon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Works for me ;)

Yeah, I just updated the file. :)

Yeah, Thanks, I'll keep trying, I'm sure appreciative of your help, as, the other thread was little pieces that didn't fit together. I'm gonna try again! johnm

Well, I hope it works. If it doesn't. post here what you don't get and I'll try to help. I know in the post I said not to ask too much, but at least you're not begging.

jmacie

jmacie

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Yeah, I just updated the file. ;)

Well, I hope it works. If it doesn't. post here what you don't get and I'll try to help. I know in the post I said not to ask too much, but at least you're not begging.

Well, started from scratch. Still stuck @ permissions in terminal. After sudo su, then my password I type chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext, then (enter), and I'm @ sh-3.2# (prompt). I type chmod - R 755 /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext I get :
chmod: R: No such file or directory
chmod: 755: No such file or directory

So, I'm really sorry, I tried again to google the answer, can't figure it out, and I'm still not @ trying to do the ##### disk yet! Take care, johnm

Yeah, I just updated the file. :)

Well, started from scratch. Still stuck @ permissions in terminal. After sudo su, then my password I type chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext, then (enter), and I'm @ sh-3.2# (prompt). I type chmod - R 755 /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext I get :

So, I'm really sorry, I tried again to google the answer, can't figure it out, and I'm still not @ trying to do the ##### disk yet! Take care, johnm

DaviDemon

DaviDemon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
By the way, did you copy FakeSMC.kext properly?
You need to copy it to your hard drive first.

Updated again, tried to simplify the instructions a bit.

I'm not sure what's going on, it works for everyone else. Are you sure you're following it correctly?

jmacie

jmacie

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

By the way, did you copy FakeSMC.kext properly?
You need to copy it to your hard drive first.

Updated again, tried to simplify the instructions a bit.

I'm not sure what's going on, it works for everyone else. Are you sure you're following it correctly?

I just copied the FakeSMC.kext from my extra folder on my main hackintosh drive. I actually think it might have chmod –R 755 right this last time. I don't know what happened. I did it over and over. But this last time it returned to the prompt, so maybe it worked. Now my ##### drive. I swear, I've redone this drive ten times on different flash drives that do work, and have worked. I get a flash that says MBR Start! (In red) and then thats it. I tried pressing "U", nothing I press "D" nothing. I can only think it has something to do with having three main sata drives. Maybe I have to unplug two of those drives or something. It's crazy. Hacks sure keep you crazy! johnm

DaviDemon

DaviDemon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Okay so, I think your problem for chmod is that sometimes there is an unwanted character after FakeSMC.kext. So for example you typed

chmod -R 755 FakeSMC.kext .

The "." causes problems. Also, maybe the "(space)" i.e. " " can affect it.
So yeah.. Maybe anyway..

For your #####, I'm sure you've set it up correctly since I also experience a red flash saying "MBR Start!" followed by a white line for a few seconds, then it boots into the GUI. At first, it took me some time to realise that the resolutions are incorrect, so I kept pressing "U" til it got to a visible state. If not, try "V" which refreshes all drives and refreshes the boot loader.

if it doesn't work, then... I am not sure.

fab

fab

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hi I use the same motherboard and at the beginning of the install it gives me a kernel panic AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

Can you post your bios settings?
or pm me?

thanks

Bungo

Bungo

InsanelyMac Sage

• Coders
  • 297 posts

Use -R instead of - R

DaviDemon

DaviDemon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Hi I use the same motherboard and at the beginning of the install it gives me a kernel panic AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

Can you post your bios settings?
or pm me?

thanks

Hi, are you using DSDT.aml? If so, remove it from the ##### drive and try again. DSDT's cause HPET and KPs on these mobos and aren't quite supported.

jmacie

jmacie

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Use -R instead of - R

Yes thank you. It seems that dragging the file to terminal added an extra space. Now that is o.k. I figured out my ##### problem, it seems that my #1 drive was blocking the ##### gui. I"m past gui now, and have installed. My problem is kernal panic. First it was /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist block, then AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement called panic, I added nullAppleIntelCPUPowermanagement, then It just loads a few lines and stops. I have my dsdt in #####. Next I just keep reading and trying and reading. I'm pretty stuck. I guess my next attempt is putting more of my SL extra file kexts in lions S/L/E. Hopefully someone will benefit from the little I've overcome with all your guys help.

jmacie

jmacie

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Use -R instead of - R

Yes thank you. It seems that dragging the file to terminal added an extra space. Now that is o.k. I figured out my ##### problem, it seems that my #1 drive was blocking the ##### gui. I"m past gui now, and have installed. My problem is kernal panic. First it was /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist block, then AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement called panic, I added nullAppleIntelCPUPowermanagement, then It just loads a few lines and stops. I have my dsdt in #####. Next I just keep reading and trying and reading. I'm pretty stuck. I guess my next attempt is putting more of my SL extra file kexts in lions S/L/E. Hopefully someone will benefit from the little I've overcome with all your guys help.

fantomas1

fantomas1

InsanelyMacaholic

• Supervisors
  • 2,949 posts
if I put my dsdt.aml in the sub-file " dsdt " on my key usb, I have KP then (no HPETs available), but if I put it on the root of my key usb, then my dsdt.aml is read by Lion (at least, it is to be what it seems to me), I even pointed out better one reactivity and fluidity without QE / CI :rolleyes:

jmacie

jmacie

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

if I put my dsdt.aml in the sub-file " dsdt " on my key usb, I have KP then (no HPETs available), but if I put it on the root of my key usb, then my dsdt.aml is read by Lion (at least, it is to be what it seems to me), I even pointed out better one reactivity and fluidity without QE / CI :rolleyes:

Cool, gonna try now! Thanks!

ginosih

ginosih

omnikohh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
i don't understand, how to make hdd bootable?only boot from usb now :)

fantomas1

fantomas1

InsanelyMacaholic

• Supervisors
  • 2,949 posts
you can't , for the moment ! :)

ginosih

ginosih

omnikohh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
ok, tnx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy