Great news everyone

RevoX

32 posts in this topic

Bull. I used a 500MHz G3 B&W w/ 512MB with Tiger (10.4.5 was the last version I had on it before I sold it) with a 16MB non QE video card and Tiger ran pretty damn good. Hell I used to sit and watch DVD's on it and stream video to it from my MythTV box without and issues.

The GF's 500MHz G3 iBook w/ 640 RAM and an 8MB video card run Tiger (10.4.7) quite smoothly as well.

Same here Roga - my G3 B&W 450 with 1 gig of ram (it was spare after an upgrade, wasn't a deliberate purchase...) with somesuch non-QE ATI PCI card in it runs tiger *really* well. Very snappy gui response, its not a chore using it.

Of course its pretty rubbish as a folding machine, but its no hardship to use safari on it - in fact, I'd be had pushed to tell the difference between that and my 450 G4 [*] - don't knock the G3's until you've tried one. Of course that IS a subjective opinion and only my $0.02 worth, ymmv.

//R

[*] my G4 AGP 450 has a twinview card in it which up until 10.4.5 alleged that QE was enabled. 10.4.7 - declares that its not a QE card anymore. Hmmmm. Time to get a strangedogs card methinks....

That's an interesting statement, as QE does not work (even hacked) on Beige G3s in any way shape or form. But a B&W G3 with a QE compatible card is actually quite good running Tiger - though Spotlight indexing will bring the system to a crawl. Without a QE card though, Tiger is unusable.

QE doesn't work on biege G3s? :) , i have even had it running on a powermac 9600. where do u find your information, I seem to be running QE perfectly fine here on my Biege G3 using a Radeon 7000 and pci extreme. spotlight is dependant on HDD speed, my 10,000rpm scsi drive takes care of that.

I have 512mb ram, a QE enabled videocard and a fast hdd. tiger runs just fine even if my cpu is only a 375mhz G3, can even play DVDs full screen.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Anybody had any success with leopard on an iMac g3 333???

I did all the steps written in the tutorial but when I boot into the installation, it shows the apple with the circle and then shuts down.

If anybody has an idea, don't hesitate!

• 2 months later...
Hi,

Anybody had any success with leopard on an iMac g3 333???

I did all the steps written in the tutorial but when I boot into the installation, it shows the apple with the circle and then shuts down.

If anybody has an idea, don't hesitate!

Well I tested that on my iMac G3 350mhz i removed all references to g3 in osinstall.dist. and it installed. But now my iMac g3 has died but I think it needs a new battery. I have ran Leopard on my new iMac and it runs great btw 17" iMac 2.0ghz Intel Core 2.

• 7 months later...