[Help] Dell Latitude E6400

congotim

65 posts in this topic

Hi guys

Can someone give me a few pointers, I am struggling to get ML running on a Dell E6400.

I have downloaded the 10.8.2 OSX image above, copied that to a Dell d620 running SL, then restored it to the drive I took out of the E6400, problem now is it will not boot when put back in the E6400.

From reading the posts, I believe I need to install a bootloader on the E6400 drive, but it seems all the links are now dead, could someone (KoliberK perhaps who was kind enough to create the image) give me a clue as to which bootloader I need and where it is available from? and how to install it.

I have to say, as yet I have very little MAC knowledge, being a Windows person, I have borrowed the D620 and have to say I am hooked!.

any help much appreciated.

Regards

Tony

From reading the posts, I believe I need to install a bootloader on the E6400 drive, but it seems all the links are now dead, could someone (KoliberK perhaps who was kind enough to create the image) give me a clue as to which bootloader I need and where it is available from? and how to install it.

Hi Tony,

try Chameleon r2137 from http://onehalfkiller.com/?p=605 or my dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p8xknw46rhobbbw/0PGV1VtsZh

Thanks for the link Koliberk, I doenloaded it from your dropbox. i'll try it this evening when I get home.

Am I correct in thinking I connect the E6400 drive attached to the D620 USB via a sata / usb adapter.

Then, run Chameleon on the D620 and perform the operations on the E6400 ML drive atttached to the USB?

Finally, remove the USB / sata adapter and put the drive back in the E6400 and it should boot ML?

Thanks again

Regards

Tony

Guess I have done something wrong somewhere, I have done what I noted above, when the drive is put back in the E6400 (80GB sata drive), when it tries to boot I get

boot0: GPT

boot0: test

boot0: test

boot0: done

the cursor is flashing but nothing further happens, so I will format the drive and restore the image again using Disk Utility and try again.

Tony

Progress...., repeating the above procedure, seems to have had some effect, the drive when put back in the E6400, now starts to boot, I see the bootloader screen, then after about 5 seconds it crashes, and restarts, this crash / restart loop continues indefinately.

If I press spacebar when the bootloader screen is visible, then type -v, I get screen fulls of text scrolling up the screen, but it still crashes and restarts, what else can I try? is it possible to find what caused the crash?

Tony

Finally got it running, the boot / reboot issue seemed to have been caused by the E6400 having a WWAN card inside, I removed the WWAN card, and it booted up fine.

KoliberK, did you have any problem with the screen going completely white after a set time, I have done a bit of testing and it is when the 'energy saver' comes in, if I set it to say 1 minute, then after 1 minute of no computer use, I get a completely bright white screen until I hit a key.

The E6400 I have is an intel graphics version if that makes any difference?

Tony

• 1 month later...

Hi, I know this thread is a little old, but does anyone still have the 64-bit Kexts from last year? I'm running snow leopard and those Kexts and Extra package from the OP seem to be the only ones that work for me, but I lost them when upgrading (sidegrading, really) to OSX Latitude EDPs. When I click on the link in the OP to download the Kexts, it just redirects me to the forum main page.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the Hackintosh working, but I need the USB to boot from Chameleon, Not sure what I need to do, there are no clear instructions.

My wifi is not working either. I downloaded myHack.kext from Koliber's Dropbox used Kext wizard to installed it. Still no Wifi. WTF am I doing wrong and can someone please do a 1, 2, 3 step.

• 5 months later...

Hi, try to go through this post one more time Updated my Dell Latitude E6400 from 10.6.3 to 10.6.6.

to get necessary files [E/E and S/L/E] go there:

dropbox E6400

google drive E6400 and here

chomikuj E6400

you need to have new chameleon boot loader as well - Chameleon v2.2 rev2255

Got the Hackintosh working, but I need the USB to boot from Chameleon, Not sure what I need to do, there are no clear instructions.

My wifi is not working either. I downloaded myHack.kext from Koliber's Dropbox used Kext wizard to installed it. Still no Wifi. WTF am I doing wrong and can someone please do a 1, 2, 3 step.

• 4 months later...

Hi there,

Have updated files [Extra and S/L/E] for new OS X - Mavericks 10.9.1 Retail - supporting E6400.

CCC 7GB DMG copy of OS X Mavericks Retail 10.9.1 partition - 25x 230MB

Extra - need to add/change 11 character serial number - 10.9.1_Extra_5.01.2014

System/Library/Extensions - all kexts works - 10.9.1_SLE_5.01.2014

some other old files - Dropbox - E6400

System installed from 8GB USB pendrive, using myHack with my own kexts and extra folder. After deleted myHack.kext and installed my kexts when system boots first time.

I changed my WiFi card from DW1397/BCM4312 to new Atheros AR5BHB112 Half Mini PCIe AR9380 with full Apple Airport support for AirDrop. No kext are needed for this card. Works OOB.

Now I have fully working Sleep, Reboot and Shutdown.

11775411514_411c3b9d06_n.jpg

Replaced my old OCZ Solid 60GB SSD for new OCZ Vertex 2 120GB with SandForce-1200, really good speed for my old E6400

Write 257MB/s

Read 268MB/s

11776370034_01bc8c244b_m.jpg

Tom

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Koliberk!

Thank's very much for your job!

I'm new in the mac world and I tried to install OSX in my dell E6400 without success.

Now I tried to download your file but I'm not able to burn an image from a sparsimage files with my win7. Do you know some software to make this?

I see 24 file but with Transmac I'm able to burn only 1 file.

Thank's.

Christian.

N.B.: I'm regitered to dropbox from your link!  ^_^

• 1 month later...

I am so :) for everyone who was able to install OS X on their Latitude E6400's.

I am beating my head into the wall, because I can't even boot into the language selection part using my OEM Snow Leopard 10.6.3. Boot 132 ISO link is broken and every other search for it produces the version that never gets to the step where you can insert SL DVD and press F5 twice to see it.

This is very frustrating

• 1 month later...

Hi Koliberk!

Thank's very much for your job!

I'm new in the mac world and I tried to install OSX in my dell E6400 without success.

Now I tried to download your file but I'm not able to burn an image from a sparsimage files with my win7. Do you know some software to make this?

I see 24 file but with Transmac I'm able to burn only 1 file.

Thank's.

Christian.

N.B.: I'm regitered to dropbox from your link!  ^_^

You have to download carbon copy cloner and then restore this image to your HD. This image is not installable, it can only be restored.

• Like 1