• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

eejake52

eejake52

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
My host is: Windows XP, VMware Player 3.1.4, Intel i3 processor.

I'm trying to run the 'unlocker' script, but at the step where the EXE runs, I get a 'usage' error.

Here is the trace:

</P> <P>VMware Mac OS X Patcher 1.0.0
=============================
Core=VMware Player
InstallPath=C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Player\
VMXPath=C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Player\
UIPath=C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Player\vmwarebase.dll</P> <P>The VMware Authorization Service service was stopped successfully.</P> <P>
The VMware USB Arbitration Service service was stopped successfully.</P> <P>Mac OS X guest unlocker for VMware, version 7</P> <P>Usage: C:\Scripts\Unlocker\windows_32.exe [<vmx dir> <ui path>]
Where <vmx dir> defaults to C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation
and <ui path> defaults to C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmwarebase.dll</P> <P>

Anyone else had this issue?

Jake

I'm trying to run the 'unlocker' script, but at the step where the EXE runs, I get a 'usage' error.

I found a work-around in another thread. If you temporarily rename the "VMware Player" directory to "VMware Workstation", then run the EXE without arguments, it works as expected; then rename the directory back to what it was.

Probably the program doesn't quite handle the optional arguments on the command line.

Jake

I found a work-around in another thread. If you temporarily rename the "VMware Player" directory to "VMware Workstation", then run the EXE without arguments, it works as expected; then rename the directory back to what it was.

Turns out I spoke too soon. The program goes one step further, but now I get this error:

C:\Scripts\Unlocker>windows_32
Mac OS X guest unlocker for VMware, version 7

Directory C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation:
File vmware-vmx.exe:
Unlocking Mac OS X guest on non-Mac host ...
Unlocking Mac OS X Client guest (method 0) ...
File vmware-vmx-debug.exe: Missing file.
File vmware-vmx-stats.exe: Missing file.

File C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmwarebase.dll:
Error opening file.

Any clues on that one?

Jake

File C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmwarebase.dll:
Error opening file.[/code]

Finally got it to work. If you get the "Error opening file" message, double check that HQTRAY.EXE is still stopped.

Jake

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

My host is: Windows XP, VMware Player 3.1.4, Intel i3 processor.

Probably the program doesn't quite handle the optional arguments on the command line.

Jake,

Thanks for sharing your experiences, before I update the original post, please can you clarify, did you try to install the "Unlocker" using Donk's updated script or Albert's original?

eejake52

eejake52

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thanks for sharing your experiences, before I update the original post, please can you clarify, did you try to install the "Unlocker" using Donk's updated script or Albert's original?

I used Donk's updated script - version 1.0.0. Based on the values that were printed by the "echo" statements, I believe he has extracted the correct strings for the install path & location of the dll. That is why I suspected there was something amiss in the way that the exe read those. Also, in another thread I noticed that another user had a similar problem; and yet another user noticed that the drive letter was hard coded to 'c:'. All this points to a glitch in the argument handling. Hope that helps.

Jake

shinji257

shinji257

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
I used this guide but I have an issue. For some reason the auto resize keeps breaking. I have to reinstall vmware tools followed by guestd patches to make it work again and even then the fix seems temporary. Any ideas?

I installed from a clean Mac OS X 10.6.3 install dvd image on a patched VMWare Workstation 7.1.4

Rotsiser Mho

Rotsiser Mho

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi all,

I'm a total newb to all of this so forgive me if this is a dumb question. What modifications would be needed for this process to work on an AMD CPU? I have a Phenom II X2. Can I follow most of it and just install the legacy kernel somewhere in the process? I've been doing some reading and successfully got OS X up and running in VirtualBox but it was just too unstable and I couldn't get it to recognize my iPhone (I'd like to be running XCode).

Any help is appreciated. Also, I enjoyed taking the quizzes. Nice idea.

grik

grik

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
I've had this working in the past, but recently got a new computer with the i5-2400 Sandy Bridge based processor. Now the VMware can't even boot the installer disc, I get the gray screen with the apple logo and then an error message:

A virtual CPU has entered the shutdown state. This would have caused a physical machine to restart. This can be caused by an incorrect configuration of the virtual machine, a bug in the operating system or a problem in the VMware Player software.

I'm not sure that this thread is the correct place for this, but seeing as how it's an issue getting OS X running on VMware I'm starting here. Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

I've had this working in the past, but recently got a new computer with the i5-2400 Sandy Bridge based processor. Now the VMware can't even boot the installer disc, I get the gray screen with the apple logo and then an error message:

I'm not sure that this thread is the correct place for this, but seeing as how it's an issue getting OS X running on VMware I'm starting here. Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

grik,

Not sure exactly what the problem is, but assuming you are using VMware Workstation or Player and your media is 10.6.3, then the first place to start is to add the CPUID mask to your VMK config file, between initial configuration and starting the install, the mask details are on the first post of this topic. as the CPUID will in effect hide the signature of the i5-2400 processor from the OS X Install DVD / ISO, we had the same problem with the original i5 and i7 processors.

It may be more involved, I have a new laptop on order with an i7-2620m processor, so will be able to investigate further, if the CPUID mask does not resolve the issue.

InsanelyMacMember

InsanelyMacMember

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I have WS 7.13, I'm about to update it to 7.14, but I just wanted to know, if I install the unlocker, will my current guest OS's running in WS be affected in any way?

Also, I have win7 64bit running on a gigabyte p35ds3p mobo and e2160 CPU.
Does this mean I definitely cannot run snow leopard? and Is it possible to run 10.5 if 10.6 cannot?

Also, I have 10.6 on a usb drive, which is how it came originally, can this be used or a dmg file I made after I installed all the updates and programs I wanted? ( that is if there's a workaround for my CPU)

Thanks!

:)

grik

grik

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Not sure exactly what the problem is, but assuming you are using VMware Workstation or Player and your media is 10.6.3, then the first place to start is to add the CPUID mask to your VMK config file...

Man, do I feel like a bonehead! The CPUID was the problem, it really helps when you follow the directions.
My old computer was a Core 2 Duo and I just assumed that the process would be the same as last time.
Thanks for answering so quickly, I'm up and running now.

RealNC

RealNC

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
On Linux, to convert the DMG image into an ISO, you can use the dmg2img tool (it's a small and very simple command line tool.) I use Gentoo Linux, and the tool is provided already in portage (sys-fs/dmg2img) so simply install it with "emerge dmg2img". If your Linux distro doesn't offer it, you can find it here:

http://vu1tur.eu.org/tools

To convert a DMG to an ISO image, simply do:

dmg2img OSX_10.6.3.dmg OSX_10.6.3.iso

You can then mount the resulting ISO in VMWare or burn it to DVD.

Mikelli

Mikelli

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi There, I ran Albert's program and I thank him for making it available!!

It got me further on the installation than I ever have been before. I have a Dell T5500 workstation with a Westmere processor bios enabled and it seems to hang up on the installation (Apple gray screen, it just keeps restarting in the first 15 seconds). The Mac OS is listed in the Virtual Machines I can create, so I guess the patch was installed correctly. I have VM Worstation 7.1.4 running on Windows 7x64. Is there a setting I am missing? I am using a retail Apple disc, should I be using something different?

Thanks a bunch,

Mike

Mikelli

Mikelli

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I too forgot the cpu mask, but now on the installation it gets to the screen "Select the disk where you want to install Mac OS X" and there is nothing listed in the white box. Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch,

Mike

WildParadise

WildParadise

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Getting an error when installing mac os 10.6.3 on an i5 with the cpuid added on vmware workstation via a retail iso image on an external hdd.

I've set a journal partition, I choose it to install, the installation starts and at about half it stop and say: install failed - mac os x could not be installed on your computer - the installer could not copy the necessary support files

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

I too forgot the cpu mask, but now on the installation it gets to the screen "Select the disk where you want to install Mac OS X" and there is nothing listed in the white box. Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch,

Mike

Mike,

If you are getting to the "Install Mac OS X" screen then you need to select Utilities > Disk Utility and go in to the Partition tab, see the link to an extract from my full installation tutorial in the first post of this topic.

MSoK.

Getting an error when installing mac os 10.6.3 on an i5 with the cpuid added on vmware workstation via a retail iso image on an external hdd.

I've set a journal partition, I choose it to install, the installation starts and at about half it stop and say: install failed - mac os x could not be installed on your computer - the installer could not copy the necessary support files

WildParadise,

Sounds like you may have an issue either with the external HDD or the ISO image, try installing to an internal drive, you can alsways move the VMDK files later, also try with the Retail DVD rather than the ISO, or recreate your ISO.

MSoK.

Hi, I have WS 7.13, I'm about to update it to 7.14, but I just wanted to know, if I install the unlocker, will my current guest OS's running in WS be affected in any way?

Also, I have win7 64bit running on a gigabyte p35ds3p mobo and e2160 CPU.
Does this mean I definitely cannot run snow leopard? and Is it possible to run 10.5 if 10.6 cannot?

Also, I have 10.6 on a usb drive, which is how it came originally, can this be used or a dmg file I made after I installed all the updates and programs I wanted? ( that is if there's a workaround for my CPU)

Thanks! :D

InsanelyMacMember,

Unfortunately your processor does not support VT-x which means the Unlocker or darwin.iso installations will not work, you will need a modified kernel have a look at Zenith432's topic titled "SnowKitty running under VMware Workstation" link below:

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1288448

MSoK

Mikelli

Mikelli

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks MSoK,

I finally figured that out and have it all installed now, it updated to 10.6.8 just fine, I am running iWorks 09 and iLife 11 and Adobe CS5.5. Works great, thanks for the guide. That was the only thing that was missing in the instructions for us "never ran a Mac before" people!!

Mike

Mike,

If you are getting to the "Install Mac OS X" screen then you need to select Utilities > Disk Utility and go in to the Partition tab, see the link to an extract from my full installation tutorial in the first post of this topic.

MSoK.

WildParadise,

Sounds like you may have an issue either with the external HDD or the ISO image, try installing to an internal drive, you can alsways move the VMDK files later, also try with the Retail DVD rather than the ISO, or recreate your ISO.

MSoK.

Unfortunately your processor does not support VT-x which means the Unlocker or darwin.iso installations will not work, you will need a modified kernel have a look at Zenith432's topic titled "SnowKitty running under VMware Workstation" link below:

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1288448

MSoK

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Thanks MSoK,

I finally figured that out and have it all installed now, it updated to 10.6.8 just fine, I am running iWorks 09 and iLife 11 and Adobe CS5.5. Works great, thanks for the guide. That was the only thing that was missing in the instructions for us "never ran a Mac before" people!!

Mike

Mike,

Glad to here you are up and running, I will add a comment in the guide so people who have never installed OS X before know what is required.

MSoK!

Sp0oner

Sp0oner

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Great thread, followed the instructions and all working and updated to 10.6.8 although no QE/CI. I am actually finding this better than Hackintosh on my laptop as in full screen its great and can just minimise it and be back in Windows.

Anyone managed to upgrade it to Lion? I tried a straight upgrade and it killed the vm cpu.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Great thread, followed the instructions and all working and updated to 10.6.8 although no QE/CI. I am actually finding this better than Hackintosh on my laptop as in full screen its great and can just minimise it and be back in Windows.

Anyone managed to upgrade it to Lion? I tried a straight upgrade and it killed the vm cpu.

Spooner,

Thanks for the vote of thanks, although all the credit belongs to Donk, Zenith, Albert et al. I just pulled it in to one place. I think the answer is probably wait for Workstation 8 which is due, and has the relevant code to support Lion, and Donk has a patch ready to go once it is launched, hopefully in the near future, watch this space, I will update this topic as soon as we have a solid offering.

Another topic exists which has been attempting to get Lion up and running so have a look, link below, but be sure to come back soon.

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1645219

dan blah

dan blah

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Heya Donk, Zenith, Albert, Mac Son of Knife, and others who've contributed to this rad thread,

I've a host machine running 10.7 with a i7 core, VMWare Fusion 3.1.3, and a 10.6.7 install disk. The install process with 10.6.7 is a bit different than outlined in the first post. Immediately after the language selection, the installer moves to the preparing installation phase. This fails with the "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer." dialog with options to "Restore From Backup" or "Restart" options. At this point, the tool bar up top appears allowing the Disk Utility to run where I've successfully erased and created the partition as instructed in the first post. Unfortunately, the aforementioned dialog persists following a restart.

My apologies if the solution is somewhere apparent. All searches keep leading me back here. You've my gratitude for any assistance.

Cheers,
--
Dan

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Heya Donk, Zenith, Albert, Mac Son of Knife, and others who've contributed to this rad thread,

I've a host machine running 10.7 with a i7 core, VMWare Fusion 3.1.3, and a 10.6.7 install disk. The install process with 10.6.7 is a bit different than outlined in the first post. Immediately after the language selection, the installer moves to the preparing installation phase. This fails with the "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer." dialog with options to "Restore From Backup" or "Restart" options. At this point, the tool bar up top appears allowing the Disk Utility to run where I've successfully erased and created the partition as instructed in the first post. Unfortunately, the aforementioned dialog persists following a restart.

My apologies if the solution is somewhere apparent. All searches keep leading me back here. You've my gratitude for any assistance.

Cheers,
--
Dan

Dan,

I have not seen this issue, my initial thought is the SL disk you are trying to use is a recovery disk, i.e. grey in colour rather than the full coloured retail DVD. The reason is as far as I am aware the latest retail OS X SL disk available is 10.6.3. If indeed your DVD is a recovery that would explain the issue, as it only designed to recover a Mac, say your Mac which I assume came with SL and you have upgraded to Lion?

Cheers MSoK.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy