How to Install Retail OS X 10.6 "Snow" under VMware Workstation 7 or Player 3

MSoK

69 posts in this topic

I've had this working in the past, but recently got a new computer with the i5-2400 Sandy Bridge based processor. Now the VMware can't even boot the installer disc, I get the gray screen with the apple logo and then an error message:

A virtual CPU has entered the shutdown state. This would have caused a physical machine to restart. This can be caused by an incorrect configuration of the virtual machine, a bug in the operating system or a problem in the VMware Player software.

I'm not sure that this thread is the correct place for this, but seeing as how it's an issue getting OS X running on VMware I'm starting here. Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

I've had this working in the past, but recently got a new computer with the i5-2400 Sandy Bridge based processor. Now the VMware can't even boot the installer disc, I get the gray screen with the apple logo and then an error message:

I'm not sure that this thread is the correct place for this, but seeing as how it's an issue getting OS X running on VMware I'm starting here. Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

grik,

Not sure exactly what the problem is, but assuming you are using VMware Workstation or Player and your media is 10.6.3, then the first place to start is to add the CPUID mask to your VMK config file, between initial configuration and starting the install, the mask details are on the first post of this topic. as the CPUID will in effect hide the signature of the i5-2400 processor from the OS X Install DVD / ISO, we had the same problem with the original i5 and i7 processors.

It may be more involved, I have a new laptop on order with an i7-2620m processor, so will be able to investigate further, if the CPUID mask does not resolve the issue.

Hi, I have WS 7.13, I'm about to update it to 7.14, but I just wanted to know, if I install the unlocker, will my current guest OS's running in WS be affected in any way?

Also, I have win7 64bit running on a gigabyte p35ds3p mobo and e2160 CPU.

Does this mean I definitely cannot run snow leopard? and Is it possible to run 10.5 if 10.6 cannot?

Also, I have 10.6 on a usb drive, which is how it came originally, can this be used or a dmg file I made after I installed all the updates and programs I wanted? ( that is if there's a workaround for my CPU)

Thanks!

:)

Not sure exactly what the problem is, but assuming you are using VMware Workstation or Player and your media is 10.6.3, then the first place to start is to add the CPUID mask to your VMK config file...

Man, do I feel like a bonehead! The CPUID was the problem, it really helps when you follow the directions.

My old computer was a Core 2 Duo and I just assumed that the process would be the same as last time.

Thanks for answering so quickly, I'm up and running now.

• 2 weeks later...

On Linux, to convert the DMG image into an ISO, you can use the dmg2img tool (it's a small and very simple command line tool.) I use Gentoo Linux, and the tool is provided already in portage (sys-fs/dmg2img) so simply install it with "emerge dmg2img". If your Linux distro doesn't offer it, you can find it here:

http://vu1tur.eu.org/tools

To convert a DMG to an ISO image, simply do:

dmg2img OSX_10.6.3.dmg OSX_10.6.3.iso

You can then mount the resulting ISO in VMWare or burn it to DVD.

Hi There, I ran Albert's program and I thank him for making it available!!

It got me further on the installation than I ever have been before. I have a Dell T5500 workstation with a Westmere processor bios enabled and it seems to hang up on the installation (Apple gray screen, it just keeps restarting in the first 15 seconds). The Mac OS is listed in the Virtual Machines I can create, so I guess the patch was installed correctly. I have VM Worstation 7.1.4 running on Windows 7x64. Is there a setting I am missing? I am using a retail Apple disc, should I be using something different?

Thanks a bunch,

Mike

I too forgot the cpu mask, but now on the installation it gets to the screen "Select the disk where you want to install Mac OS X" and there is nothing listed in the white box. Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch,

Mike

Getting an error when installing mac os 10.6.3 on an i5 with the cpuid added on vmware workstation via a retail iso image on an external hdd.

I've set a journal partition, I choose it to install, the installation starts and at about half it stop and say: install failed - mac os x could not be installed on your computer - the installer could not copy the necessary support files

I too forgot the cpu mask, but now on the installation it gets to the screen "Select the disk where you want to install Mac OS X" and there is nothing listed in the white box. Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch,

Mike

Mike,

If you are getting to the "Install Mac OS X" screen then you need to select Utilities > Disk Utility and go in to the Partition tab, see the link to an extract from my full installation tutorial in the first post of this topic.

MSoK.

Getting an error when installing mac os 10.6.3 on an i5 with the cpuid added on vmware workstation via a retail iso image on an external hdd.

I've set a journal partition, I choose it to install, the installation starts and at about half it stop and say: install failed - mac os x could not be installed on your computer - the installer could not copy the necessary support files

WildParadise,

Sounds like you may have an issue either with the external HDD or the ISO image, try installing to an internal drive, you can alsways move the VMDK files later, also try with the Retail DVD rather than the ISO, or recreate your ISO.

MSoK.

Hi, I have WS 7.13, I'm about to update it to 7.14, but I just wanted to know, if I install the unlocker, will my current guest OS's running in WS be affected in any way?

Also, I have win7 64bit running on a gigabyte p35ds3p mobo and e2160 CPU.

Does this mean I definitely cannot run snow leopard? and Is it possible to run 10.5 if 10.6 cannot?

Also, I have 10.6 on a usb drive, which is how it came originally, can this be used or a dmg file I made after I installed all the updates and programs I wanted? ( that is if there's a workaround for my CPU)

Thanks! :D

InsanelyMacMember,

Unfortunately your processor does not support VT-x which means the Unlocker or darwin.iso installations will not work, you will need a modified kernel have a look at Zenith432's topic titled "SnowKitty running under VMware Workstation" link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1288448

MSoK

Thanks MSoK,

I finally figured that out and have it all installed now, it updated to 10.6.8 just fine, I am running iWorks 09 and iLife 11 and Adobe CS5.5. Works great, thanks for the guide. That was the only thing that was missing in the instructions for us "never ran a Mac before" people!!

Mike

Mike,

If you are getting to the "Install Mac OS X" screen then you need to select Utilities > Disk Utility and go in to the Partition tab, see the link to an extract from my full installation tutorial in the first post of this topic.

MSoK.

WildParadise,

Sounds like you may have an issue either with the external HDD or the ISO image, try installing to an internal drive, you can alsways move the VMDK files later, also try with the Retail DVD rather than the ISO, or recreate your ISO.

MSoK.

Unfortunately your processor does not support VT-x which means the Unlocker or darwin.iso installations will not work, you will need a modified kernel have a look at Zenith432's topic titled "SnowKitty running under VMware Workstation" link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1288448

MSoK

Thanks MSoK,

I finally figured that out and have it all installed now, it updated to 10.6.8 just fine, I am running iWorks 09 and iLife 11 and Adobe CS5.5. Works great, thanks for the guide. That was the only thing that was missing in the instructions for us "never ran a Mac before" people!!

Mike

Mike,

Glad to here you are up and running, I will add a comment in the guide so people who have never installed OS X before know what is required.

MSoK!

• 1 month later...

Great thread, followed the instructions and all working and updated to 10.6.8 although no QE/CI. I am actually finding this better than Hackintosh on my laptop as in full screen its great and can just minimise it and be back in Windows.

Anyone managed to upgrade it to Lion? I tried a straight upgrade and it killed the vm cpu.

Great thread, followed the instructions and all working and updated to 10.6.8 although no QE/CI. I am actually finding this better than Hackintosh on my laptop as in full screen its great and can just minimise it and be back in Windows.

Anyone managed to upgrade it to Lion? I tried a straight upgrade and it killed the vm cpu.

Spooner,

Thanks for the vote of thanks, although all the credit belongs to Donk, Zenith, Albert et al. I just pulled it in to one place. I think the answer is probably wait for Workstation 8 which is due, and has the relevant code to support Lion, and Donk has a patch ready to go once it is launched, hopefully in the near future, watch this space, I will update this topic as soon as we have a solid offering.

Another topic exists which has been attempting to get Lion up and running so have a look, link below, but be sure to come back soon.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1645219

Heya Donk, Zenith, Albert, Mac Son of Knife, and others who've contributed to this rad thread,

I've a host machine running 10.7 with a i7 core, VMWare Fusion 3.1.3, and a 10.6.7 install disk. The install process with 10.6.7 is a bit different than outlined in the first post. Immediately after the language selection, the installer moves to the preparing installation phase. This fails with the "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer." dialog with options to "Restore From Backup" or "Restart" options. At this point, the tool bar up top appears allowing the Disk Utility to run where I've successfully erased and created the partition as instructed in the first post. Unfortunately, the aforementioned dialog persists following a restart.

My apologies if the solution is somewhere apparent. All searches keep leading me back here. You've my gratitude for any assistance.

Cheers,

--

Dan

Heya Donk, Zenith, Albert, Mac Son of Knife, and others who've contributed to this rad thread,

I've a host machine running 10.7 with a i7 core, VMWare Fusion 3.1.3, and a 10.6.7 install disk. The install process with 10.6.7 is a bit different than outlined in the first post. Immediately after the language selection, the installer moves to the preparing installation phase. This fails with the "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer." dialog with options to "Restore From Backup" or "Restart" options. At this point, the tool bar up top appears allowing the Disk Utility to run where I've successfully erased and created the partition as instructed in the first post. Unfortunately, the aforementioned dialog persists following a restart.

My apologies if the solution is somewhere apparent. All searches keep leading me back here. You've my gratitude for any assistance.

Cheers,

--

Dan

Dan,

I have not seen this issue, my initial thought is the SL disk you are trying to use is a recovery disk, i.e. grey in colour rather than the full coloured retail DVD. The reason is as far as I am aware the latest retail OS X SL disk available is 10.6.3. If indeed your DVD is a recovery that would explain the issue, as it only designed to recover a Mac, say your Mac which I assume came with SL and you have upgraded to Lion?

Cheers MSoK.

Spooner,

Thanks for the vote of thanks, although all the credit belongs to Donk, Zenith, Albert et al. I just pulled it in to one place. I think the answer is probably wait for Workstation 8 which is due, and has the relevant code to support Lion, and Donk has a patch ready to go once it is launched, hopefully in the near future, watch this space, I will update this topic as soon as we have a solid offering.

Another topic exists which has been attempting to get Lion up and running so have a look, link below, but be sure to come back soon.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1645219

Excellent, thanks. Also do you know if it is possible to get QE/CI working in the vm? I was going to use iMovie but wont work without QE.

Excellent, thanks. Also do you know if it is possible to get QE/CI working in the vm? I was going to use iMovie but wont work without QE.

Spooner,

Unfortunately currently the answer is no, Zenith432 has done some work on this area, have a look at the 3D graphics link in post 1 of this topic, but if you want full QE/CI you are either going to have to spend your money on a real Mac or create a hackintosh PC, i.e. run OS X natively on your PC. Plenty of help out there, I have had success using tonymacx86's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] solution, but some good support also on InsanelyMac.

Spooner,

Unfortunately currently the answer is no, Zenith432 has done some work on this area, have a look at the 3D graphics link in post 1 of this topic, but if you want full QE/CI you are either going to have to spend your money on a real Mac or create a hackintosh PC, i.e. run OS X natively on your PC. Plenty of help out there, I have had success using tonymacx86's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] solution, but some good support also on InsanelyMac.

Cheers. I've had previous Hackintosh's all work fine using iatkos s3 v2 but no apparent methods possible on my current new laptop due to the optimus dual switching between the gpus (Dell non 3d l702x) and so plumped for the vm to get up and running.

• 2 weeks later...

Question about booting OS X 10.6.3 retail dvd disc.

I ran albert's unlocker with no problem using donk's updated script.

I created the VM as per instructions and added the cpuid line in the .vmx file since i have a core i7.

I powered the VM up and i received the following errors:

Boot Failed. EFI SCSI Device

Boot Failed. EFI DVD/CDROM

I then went into the bios to check the boot order. Everything seems ok.

The original post stated i didn't need darwin.iso to boot.

Has anyone run into this and have a fix?

@MTXR,

A Google search for "Boot Failed. EFI SCSI Device" reveals there is a post here in this forum that points toward the solution.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1664097

"PS: i convert my .dmg to .iso with poweriso4.4 and it boot now thanks !"

Are you using a dmg file? You need to uncompress it. Try dmg2img.

http://vu1tur.eu.org/tools/

dmg2img -i <input.dmg> -o <output.img>

@MTXR,

A Google search for "Boot Failed. EFI SCSI Device" reveals there is a post here in this forum that points toward the solution.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1664097

"PS: i convert my .dmg to .iso with poweriso4.4 and it boot now thanks !"

Are you using a dmg file? You need to uncompress it. Try dmg2img.

http://vu1tur.eu.org/tools/

dmg2img -i <input.dmg> -o <output.img>

I'm using an actual retail DVD disc in my dvd-rom....

Has anyone got a link to a guide to do the same but on an amd cpu (that supports vtx)? I want to run the vm on my hp server but it uses amd opteron and every guide i've seen via Google so far I just end up getting the same message of a cpu has entered a shutdown state...

- This is my first time posting so feel free to tell me I'm doing it wrong.

- You guys are amazing, I have a fresh install of Snow Leopard working on my comp now thanks to you, and its running perfectly. It was amazingly simple to setup.

Ok so now for my issue, I can't seem to get my external hdd to connect to the vm. I'm trying to access a time machine backup I made on a normal Mac (i.e. hfs+ format). Wanting to isolate the cause I disconnected the hdd and tried to connect a fat formatted thumb drive and that also won't connect. I've googled and read through your forums and come up nothing as this is somewhat of an isolated issue. Any ideas ?

host OS: win 7 ultimate

- This is my first time posting so feel free to tell me I'm doing it wrong.

- You guys are amazing, I have a fresh install of Snow Leopard working on my comp now thanks to you, and its running perfectly. It was amazingly simple to setup.

Ok so now for my issue, I can't seem to get my external hdd to connect to the vm. I'm trying to access a time machine backup I made on a normal Mac (i.e. hfs+ format). Wanting to isolate the cause I disconnected the hdd and tried to connect a fat formatted thumb drive and that also won't connect. I've googled and read through your forums and come up nothing as this is somewhat of an isolated issue. Any ideas ?

host OS: win 7 ultimate

Edit the vm settings and check you have a usb controller added under hardware.