$155 Hackintosh

7 posts in this topic

So Apple says they can't / won't make low end desktops. I say that's bull. They are just trying to keep Apple products out of the reach of people without jobs like myself. Here is a Hackintosh I built that works Perfectly, Core Image and all.

ITX 220 Motherboard : 70 dollars

Hard drive 250gb : 40

2gb ram : 30

dvdrw : 15

total cost 155 dollars. used an old gateway case i had plus an old atx psu laying around. Installed iatkos 7. Runs great. I don't game, so this will hold me over till i can bulid something better once i find a job. Updated to 10.5.8 and still runs awesome.

<opinion>

I don't think its really the internal hardware that is why Apple won't do it. It's the design etc. The entire point of this site is that yes, anyone can build a computer that will run Mac OS X. They are still not Macintosh computers though... Don't get me wrong there are some other companies out there that build nice boxes. But few of them are on par with Apple's design and build quality...

</opinion>

While I can agree with your opinion, let me present this: What about the person who can't afford a Mac? THe person who doesn't really care about design or anything like that? They just want the OS X interface. I'm okay running Leopard on my hackintosh because Its still supported in new apps but they are done updating it for point releases. I know there won't be a 10.5.9 to come out and break my installation. But, what about the person who just wants a basic $200 walmart quality computer with Mac OS X? Why doesn't Apple serve that market? I am highly knowledgeable about computers, I used to have a quad core but had to sell it when i lost my job. There are tons of people in my situation who refuse to run windows but would like something from Apple that serves a paycheck to paycheck lifestyle in the price area. I'd love to run Snow Leopard on this board but Apple blocked out the CPUID in Snow Leopard. I refuse to run a hacked kernel. Why is apple so stubborn on building low end hardware?

While I can agree with your opinion, let me present this: What about the person who can't afford a Mac? THe person who doesn't really care about design or anything like that? They just want the OS X interface. I'm okay running Leopard on my hackintosh because Its still supported in new apps but they are done updating it for point releases. I know there won't be a 10.5.9 to come out and break my installation. But, what about the person who just wants a basic $200 walmart quality computer with Mac OS X? Why doesn't Apple serve that market? I am highly knowledgeable about computers, I used to have a quad core but had to sell it when i lost my job. There are tons of people in my situation who refuse to run windows but would like something from Apple that serves a paycheck to paycheck lifestyle in the price area. I'd love to run Snow Leopard on this board but Apple blocked out the CPUID in Snow Leopard. I refuse to run a hacked kernel. Why is apple so stubborn on building low end hardware?

Well, simply put - there's a discrimination towards people, regarding certain goods. That's how the economy goes. Rich > Poor. Branding and PR are so vicious.

Fixed:

While I can agree with your opinion, let me present this: What about the person who can't afford a Ferrari? The person who doesn't really care about speed or anything like that? They just want the ferrari quality. I'm okay running my pos 4 banger on my pinto because It would still get me to a job if I had one. I know there won't be a new ferrari to come out and break my pintos usefulness. But, what about the person who just wants a basic $2000 walmart quality car with a 4 cyclinder engine? Why doesn't ferrari serve that market? I am highly knowledgeable about cars, I used to have a 1972 cougar but had to sell it when i lost my job. There are tons of people in my situation who refuse to run nissan altimas but would like something from ferrari that serves a paycheck to paycheck lifestyle in the price area. I'd love to run a v8 on my pinto but ferrari won't give me one for free. I refuse to run a modified pinto. Why is ferrari so stubborn on building low end cars?

Fixed:

While I can agree with your opinion, let me present this: What about the person who can't afford a Ferrari? The person who doesn't really care about speed or anything like that? They just want the ferrari quality. I'm okay running my pos 4 banger on my pinto because It would still get me to a job if I had one. I know there won't be a new ferrari to come out and break my pintos usefulness. But, what about the person who just wants a basic $2000 walmart quality car with a 4 cyclinder engine? Why doesn't ferrari serve that market? I am highly knowledgeable about cars, I used to have a 1972 cougar but had to sell it when i lost my job. There are tons of people in my situation who refuse to run nissan altimas but would like something from ferrari that serves a paycheck to paycheck lifestyle in the price area. I'd love to run a v8 on my pinto but ferrari won't give me one for free. I refuse to run a modified pinto. Why is ferrari so stubborn on building low end cars?

Thank you for saying what I was thinking...

If you can afford one, great. If not, I'm sorry. Thats life.