Microsoft Vs Apple

Guest Georgie 31

13 posts in this topic

will it deliver a better experience than iOS?

no, i don't think so

moved to "Reader News and Reviews".

Well that kinda depends. I've had quite a few debates when it comes to "experience" in reference to technology. When it comes to the iOS, my experience is worse than anyone who just needs a dumbed down OS to so the can twitter that they just took a large poo.

My biggest problem with the mobile oses and the arm chipset is that my software that I use on a daily basis can not be replaced by a dumbed down, mobile app to run on the arm chipset. I want the iPad, but I want it runnning real hardware and a real OS.

Back to the mobile experience, just the very fact that with WinMo6.x, I can customize and make my device EXACTLY as I need it, makes it a better user experience than Android (next version is rumored to removed a lot of GUI customization) and the iOS even though WinMo, all around, generally blows.

Gramda Marge might be fine with a locked down, walled garden experience, but others are not.

I do expect to see Windows to find some type of newer tablet version, but really, with my experiences so far, Windows itself, is already touch friendly to a point and that can be easilly maximized with simple tweaks and some free software (that are very resources light). Then add to the fact, combine a specialized (and better) windows tablet version with the Padd formfactor, no mobile OS can touch it.

The biggest problem with the technology industry is that the majority of the people buying things are technology stupid. Apple people tend to be just as stupid (or dumber) but Apple (with their marketing and subtle manipulation) has many of those users THINKING they are technology competent, when they are not. Most complaints (when coming from the "experience" avenue) come from the technologically stupid.

Experience is a very, very subjective thing. My dreams of a quality Padd device, running a full OS will be out soon enough. lol

The biggest problem with the technology industry is that the majority of the people buying things are technology stupid. Apple people tend to be just as stupid (or dumber) but Apple (with their marketing and subtle manipulation) has many of those users THINKING they are technology competent, when they are not.

Well, that reminded me of what is probably the biggest contradiction within the OSx86 Project.

OS X is very easy to install, use and maintain on a Mac.

However installing it and maintaining it on a PC is far from trivial.

Hence the multitude of users who come here with almost zero basic knowledge. And therefore the vast majority go away disappointed.

The biggest problem with the technology industry is that the majority of the people buying things are technology stupid. Apple people tend to be just as stupid (or dumber) but Apple (with their marketing and subtle manipulation) has many of those users THINKING they are technology competent, when they are not. Most complaints (when coming from the "experience" avenue) come from the technologically stupid.

You should have just taken that whole out of your post because that's a very ignorant thing to say about a user population of an OS being possibly "dumer"(would be nice if you threw in the b to spell it right). You will have the less "techie" folks of every OS right down to the different unix distros. And os x being a form of *nix, accusing these users of "thinking" they are "technology competent" would be as if I were going around making fun of every windows user that has incurred a form of a virus/spyware in their lifetime and calling them technologically incompetent for getting it. Complaints do not come from the "technologically stupid" they come from people who are inquisitive about finding about a certain things. Had they been stupid in the first place, they would have no desire to learn more in their form of "complaints."

You've used the word stupid a few times throughout just that paragraph. I haven't found one scenario where it actually fit it's on definition of stupid but then again who am I to be caring about people's misuse of words these days...

Well, that reminded me of what is probably the biggest contradiction within the OSx86 Project.

OS X is very easy to install, use and maintain on a Mac.

However installing it and maintaining it on a PC is far from trivial.

Hence the multitude of users who come here with almost zero basic knowledge. And therefore the vast majority go away disappointed.

If the parts are acceptable parts, maintaining OS X on PC without the Apple logo is next to easy. Anyone with basic computer knowledge can handle it. This is mainly because of the few higher up peoples that are really smart in all this jazz. The main bulk of the OSX86 community already have the basic computer knowledge to handle it. The problem with the people lacking even the basics is that they generally do not have the hardware that is acceptable enough to run OS X AND they don't want to take the time to learn how to do stuff. People just want things "to work" and yet have hardware that doesn't allow that to happen. lol

You should have just taken that whole out of your post because that's a very ignorant thing to say about a user population of an OS being possibly "dumer"(would be nice if you threw in the b to spell it right). You will have the less "techie" folks of every OS right down to the different unix distros. And os x being a form of *nix, accusing these users of "thinking" they are "technology competent" would be as if I were going around making fun of every windows user that has incurred a form of a virus/spyware in their lifetime and calling them technologically incompetent for getting it. Complaints do not come from the "technologically stupid" they come from people who are inquisitive about finding about a certain things. Had they been stupid in the first place, they would have no desire to learn more in their form of "complaints."

You've used the word stupid a few times throughout just that paragraph. I haven't found one scenario where it actually fit it's on definition of stupid but then again who am I to be caring about people's misuse of words these days...

For one, a generalization doesn't apply to EVERYONE. That wouldn't be logical. But it can be shown, just go out and talk to the average Mac/iDevice user, and you will find, generally, they know next to nothing about technology. It isn't that they are "Stupid" in general, just tech stupid. Apple tries to make their customers feel like they actually know something with the way they market, the way they describe and term things, etc, etc, etc. The problem with having something with no learning curve at all is that a person actually doesn't learn ANYTHING, they just use and consume. Even one of my best friends, Apple everything, thinks she is all that and tech wise and yet, refused to fully accept I was running OS X on my computer until I pulled out the retail disk and did a restore of my backup image and I had to explain to her, in simple terms, how the hardware is the same. There is nothing "special or magical" with her Macbook Pro. It is just another OEM PC Laptop under a brand name and logo.

Of course you will have the "less techie" but that is different that being technologically ignorant. Throw me on a distro of linux and I'd be way less techie than with OS X or Windows BUT I still have the basic computer knowledge and the drive to learn more. It isn't like I sit down on Linux and look around all confused because all I know how to do with computers is use the iOS/OS X (or another other combination of OSes there).

Personally, hand me a tablet like the iPad that can run Windows7 and I'll make that thing very touch friendly and provide an excellent experience. Most people just want things to work out of the box. I say no room with 5 guys (or chicks) can create the perfect experience for me. So if Windows does come with a newer tablet version, I'm sure the merging would be even better! But I'll take the time to fix the problems of an OS (all three major ones have problems, this is including OS X).

I kinda can't wait to see what is brought out!

If the parts are acceptable parts, maintaining OS X on PC without the Apple logo is next to easy. Anyone with basic computer knowledge can handle it. This is mainly because of the few higher up peoples that are really smart in all this jazz. The main bulk of the OSX86 community already have the basic computer knowledge to handle it. The problem with the people lacking even the basics is that they generally do not have the hardware that is acceptable enough to run OS X AND they don't want to take the time to learn how to do stuff. People just want things "to work" and yet have hardware that doesn't allow that to happen. lol

And that is exactly the point. People come with no knowledge and with incompatible hardware.

In the past it was different, building a compatible hackintosh was your first priority.

I have some doubts about "If the parts are acceptable parts, maintaining OS X on PC without the Apple logo is next to easy".

Nothing is trivial about OSx86, you must be a user with knowledge, abilities and desire to learn much above average.

And that is exactly the point. People come with no knowledge and with incompatible hardware.

In the past it was different, building a compatible hackintosh was your first priority.

I have some doubts about "If the parts are acceptable parts, maintaining OS X on PC without the Apple logo is next to easy".

Nothing is trivial about OSx86, you must be a user with knowledge, abilities and desire to learn much above average.

It goes back to "it should just work" mentality. Something, I really can't stand when it comes to computer. 99% of the time, things "just work" but it promotes no learning (something a majority of consumers don't like to do). So when people come here, they expect the same thing, and like you said, leave disappointed.

As long as you don't update first thing, and give the main people writing the drivers/software to do all this, I'd wager maintaining a PC with acceptable parts is rather easy. It is more when the parts are not so acceptable that one runs into problems. This is even more true, because the software we all use to run all this, is being made with the idea that updates hopefully shouldn't break things.

I started out in all this just to see what I could get working. Other than the netbook being a slight pain, the main desktop and the media center were/are rather easy. The AMD system was actually easier than my Intel system. lol Pop in the one modCD from NC, let it do all its stuff and I was done! I didn't even pretend to know if the parts would work, I just tried! lol

I would agree, I'm probably above average on those things, but I've still got plenty to learn myself! lol

General expectations of a working system include being able to update without any issues, sleep working perfectly, audio working, network working etc.

It goes back to "it should just work" mentality. Something, I really can't stand when it comes to computer. 99% of the time, things "just work" but it promotes no learning (something a majority of consumers don't like to do). So when people come here, they expect the same thing, and like you said, leave disappointed.

As long as you don't update first thing, and give the main people writing the drivers/software to do all this, I'd wager maintaining a PC with acceptable parts is rather easy. It is more when the parts are not so acceptable that one runs into problems. This is even more true, because the software we all use to run all this, is being made with the idea that updates hopefully shouldn't break things.

I started out in all this just to see what I could get working. Other than the netbook being a slight pain, the main desktop and the media center were/are rather easy. The AMD system was actually easier than my Intel system. lol Pop in the one modCD from NC, let it do all its stuff and I was done! I didn't even pretend to know if the parts would work, I just tried! lol

I would agree, I'm probably above average on those things, but I've still got plenty to learn myself! lol

• 3 weeks later...

I like Ios, but personally I feel Android is a much better system for my wants and needs. Ios isn't bad at all, and Android right now is not a tablet os. But Apppe may not directly create the market, but they sure as hell know how to populate the market. There was a small market for tablets before, but since the Ipad came, everyone wants a tablet. A tablet that's bigger, smaller, Android, Windows, Linux, even RIM is stepping up into the tablet market.

OS X isn't any worse than Windows, or any major Linux distro in my opinion.

Unfortunately, that's not how it goes for everyone. Nawcom boot CD right now is not supported on my mobo because of DSDT settings, and so far nothing I've done has fixed it. Yet, I have all the parts that should be supported on osx86. I also didn't build this rig for it either, which many people don't. There are other issues too, not related to DSDT, the Nawcom bootCD, or my system. Osx86 can be easy to manage if you have the right system, and if the person trying to manage it is willing and capable of learning how to. With osx86, it can easily become a case of hit or miss.

I now can see the reason why apple is not shutting us down, because it is often hit and miss we crave for an almost system. And that is why I bought a PPC Mac. Maybe later on I will buy and Intel Mac, whatever it is, I am saving for it. It's because of that experience. I came from the Windows world, has built numberous systems and make it work. I am tired of making it work anymore, I just wanted it to work.

This hackintosh thing started it as a hobby, trying to duplicate the experience I have during the time when my first touch a real mac many years ago. Now I am into it, bringing old macs back to life again just to understand fully what is behind this operating system and it relationship with the hardware.

There is no perfect system, I am just looking for the system that just works for me. Fortunately I found it in Mac OS'es. And I am definitely not "stupid".

Systems should deliver good experience not painful once. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Well that kinda depends. I've had quite a few debates when it comes to "experience" in reference to technology. When it comes to the iOS, my experience is worse than anyone who just needs a dumbed down OS to so the can twitter that they just took a large poo.

My biggest problem with the mobile oses and the arm chipset is that my software that I use on a daily basis can not be replaced by a dumbed down, mobile app to run on the arm chipset. I want the iPad, but I want it runnning real hardware and a real OS.

Back to the mobile experience, just the very fact that with WinMo6.x, I can customize and make my device EXACTLY as I need it, makes it a better user experience than Android (next version is rumored to removed a lot of GUI customization) and the iOS even though WinMo, all around, generally blows.

Gramda Marge might be fine with a locked down, walled garden experience, but others are not.

I do expect to see Windows to find some type of newer tablet version, but really, with my experiences so far, Windows itself, is already touch friendly to a point and that can be easilly maximized with simple tweaks and some free software (that are very resources light). Then add to the fact, combine a specialized (and better) windows tablet version with the Padd formfactor, no mobile OS can touch it.

Experience is a very, very subjective thing. My dreams of a quality Padd device, running a full OS will be out soon enough. lol

This is the point of argument that has been done over in the past, and it was a very valid point indeed. Nevertheless, even MS is moving onto cloud computing. The future revenue for them from their Office Suite might not be hard drive based anymore. Besides, the new portable hardware now sport the ARM processor and soon NVidia processors. It does not make sense to them to rework the entire Office suite and put it on their MWin7 for each platform.

I think whoever owns the portal and the applet market now still has a sizable lead for at least 2 years to come. Android is good but still is growing up.

Finally, Apple has practically erases the cost barrier in notebooks when compared to brand names like Sony and the likes. This alone has push the adoption rate among college kids through the roof simply because of the iPhone innovation. Now the iPad owns that arena alone!

Man, it's tough life for those giant tech company that slept in late in the last 2 years.