OS X Netbook vs iBook

pdawg51

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am going on a trip and would like to take a cheap laptop with me instead of my MacBook Pro.

I was thinking of getting a netbook that is compatible with OS X however, would it be worth it to get an iBook that is in the same price range instead?

Would an iBook be faster than a netbook?

Thanks for the help!

It comes down to personal preference.

Things to take into consideration.

- iBook screens are a resolution of 1024x768 while most netbook screens are 1366x768 or 1024x600

- iBooks can only run up to 10.5 Leopard (that's only if you have a 867mhz+ PPC G4), while a netbook can run 10.6

Snow Leopard

- iBooks are natively compatible with OS X, but a netbook will most likely require some hacking (Kexts, Bootloaders, etc) :/

- Most netbooks are on the "Intel Platform" which means that you won't have to worry about compatibiliy with programs (such as google chrome which required 10.5 or later and an Intel Processor)

- Hackintoshed Laptops/Netbooks get a lot of attention in public ;)

- A netbook would be a brand new computer, not one that is 5 years + old

- Accessories for a netbook are a lot cheaper than Apple accessories :/

- If I can think of more, I will post them :D

Well, I happened to have a bookmark to this page...

http://lowendmac.com/bookrev/09br/0206.html

which discussed that topic. copy and paste--

The guys at Apple Different did some good old fashion benchmarks, and discovered that an Atom N270 at 1.66 GHz and 1 GB of RAM churned and cogitated Leopard better than a late 2004 iBook with a Power PC 1.33 GHz processor and 768 MB of RAM, with a boot up time of around 48 seconds to the iBook's agonizing minute..post-663161-1283610967_thumb.jpg