Anyone else running an ASUS G51 with i7 core?

Tamed G

36 posts in this topic

This feature breaks LPC:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

Yeah, looks like this fix is for desktop computer I think. I'll try it later on my Dell Studio & will let you know the result.

I am curious how you setup your smbios.plist

Are you using a MacBook Pro 6,2 or equivalent? I have iMAC for mine and that seems to have made the Notebook run lower temps now between 50-55 instead of 55-67. It may be for other reasons to maybe the Cleaned DSDT? Who knows?

Setting correct model identifier does help computer to run more efficient especially CPU speedstep. Help lower the temperature. On my Dell Studio, I set model identifier to iMac11,1 because it use i7 CPU & ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB (I believe it is mobility card & I have ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 512MB). Closest specification I can find. While on my Asus, I set it to MacBookPro6,2 (or 6,1) because it have i5 CPU & Nvidia Geforce GT 330M (I have GT 335M).

@oSxFr33k,

The _CST codes also doesn't work on my Dell Studio. Produced the same error as yours. Actually we don't need it since we didn't have _CST error in log file. I just patch LPCB device in my Dell Studio DSDT since the original device-id 3b03 is not listed in AppleLPC.kext. I inject LPCB device-id 3b02 (this one exist in AppleLPC.kext) in DSDT & this time AppleLPC.kext loaded. My i7 CPU temperature now much cooler, it reached 50 celcius with just browsing & watching youtube. :( It is no longer reached 60 celcius with normal load.

@kizwan.

That is great news!!

Im going to try some of the hacks posted by oldnapalm. Not sure if those variations will do anything or not but they go into the EHCx sections not USB sections correct?

I have seen some of those hacks go into each USB section of the DSDT script and I have tried them in the past which made no difference. Still got the Disk Removal Error upon wake.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1551502

Do you think we can benefit from Nvidia Cuda? I can't seem to find the download link.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...223526&st=0

@kizwan.

That is great news!!

Im going to try some of the hacks posted by oldnapalm. Not sure if those variations will do anything or not but they go into the EHCx sections not USB sections correct?

I have seen some of those hacks go into each USB section of the DSDT script and I have tried them in the past which made no difference. Still got the Disk Removal Error upon wake.

I already put the same fix in your EHCI device. No need to put it in USB (USB 1.1 to be exact). You just need to change the "AAPL,current-*" values with the one from oldnapalm's post. oldnapalm's post the script split into two. I combined it.

Do you think we can benefit from Nvidia Cuda? I can't seem to find the download link.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...223526&st=0

I never tried CUDA before. My Acer Aspire 9420 have Nvidia Geforce 7300 Go which doesn't support CUDA. I have to get Nvidia on my Asus to work first before I can use it.

@kizwan,

Still no luck even after changing the current values as oldnapalm has it.

My WebCam shows up as USB 2.0 with address 0x1a160000 in Ioreg.

I am wondering if this is keeping my system from complete sleep. I can confirm that it does some type of sleep but not deep sleep because I can still hear the USB Laptop Cooler Fans turning so the USB is not going to complete sleep, something is stopping it. I use Laptop Coolers for all my Notebooks.

I have an idea that it could still be the graphics card check this out this thread. I learned a lot from this guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190780

Look at this section in particular which I am going to try later on or tomorrow.

Quote:

"Optional: NVidia Injection (also required for clamshell and sleep):

Insert this code under the Device (VID) section within the Device (AGP) section (not in the independent (VID) section) under Name (_ADR, 0x00) and above the _DOS section. The "8400M GS" is the card found within the M1330. M1530 users will want to replace this with "8600M GT". If you do not use this patch and you have a NVidia card you can use an injector instead."

Code:

Name (_SUN, One)
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
   Store (Package (0x18)
   {
       "@0,built-in", 
       Buffer (One)
       {
           0x01
       }, 

"@0,compatible", 
       Buffer (0x0B)
       {
            "NVDA,NVMac"
       }, 

"@0,device_type", 
       Buffer (0x08)
       {
           "display"
       }, 

"@0,name", 
      Buffer (0x0F)
      {
           "NVDA,Display-A"
      }, 

"@1,compatible", 
       Buffer (0x0B)
       {
           "NVDA,NVMac"
       }, 

"@1,device_type", 
       Buffer (0x08)
       {
           "display"
       }, 

"@0,display-cfg", 
       Buffer (0x04)
       {
           0x03, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00
       }, 

"@1,display-cfg", 
       Buffer (0x04)
       {
           0xFF, 0xFF, 0x00, 0x01
       }, 

"@1,name", 
       Buffer (0x0F)
       {
           "NVDA,Display-B"
       }, 

"NVCAP", 
       Buffer (0x18)
       {
            /* 0000 */    0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00, 
            /* 0008 */    0x06, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 
            /* 0010 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
       }, 

"device_type", 
       Buffer (0x0D)
       {
           "NVDA,GeForce"
       }, 

"model", 
       Buffer (0x18)
       {
           "NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS"
       }
   }, Local0)
   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
   Return (Local0)
}

My WebCam shows up as USB 2.0 with address 0x1a160000 in Ioreg.

I am wondering if this is keeping my system from complete sleep.

If your webcam prevent your computer from goes to sleep, your computer will wake from sleep immediately after you set it to sleep.

I can confirm that it does some type of sleep but not deep sleep because I can still hear the USB Laptop Cooler Fans turning so the USB is not going to complete sleep, something is stopping it. I use Laptop Coolers for all my Notebooks.

My Acer Aspire 9420 also keep providing power to my USB disk when sleeping. I found this prevent the USB disk from not properly ejected when waking from sleep. Before I apply the EHCI sleep fix, the USB disk is not get any power at all when sleeping. From what I understand only USB devices get power when computer goes to sleep. Why? Take this an example, if USB keyboard is not getting any power from USB port, how you want to wake the computer from sleep using it (by pressing any key)? To make sure your computer actually goes to sleep, unplugged all USB devices/peripherals & put your computer to sleep. Pay attention to all LED indicator & CPU fan underneath your notebook. If all LED indicator & CPU fan did turned OFF completely, your notebook does go to sleep successfully. My Dell Studio have the ability to charge a device (e.g. mobile phone) through USB port in certain power mode/state. I just don't remember was it complete shutdown or sleep to use this function.

I have an idea that it could still be the graphics card check this out this thread. I learned a lot from this guide:

Look at this section in particular which I am going to try later on or tomorrow.

Quote:

"Optional: NVidia Injection (also required for clamshell and sleep):

Insert this code under the Device (VID) section within the Device (AGP) section (not in the independent (VID) section) under Name (_ADR, 0x00) and above the _DOS section. The "8400M GS" is the card found within the M1330. M1530 users will want to replace this with "8600M GT". If you do not use this patch and you have a NVidia card you can use an injector instead."

I don't think this will make any different but you're free to try. :wacko: This is equivalent with GraphicsEnabler=Yes but injecting manually in DSDT does give us an advantage to inject anything that can make our Nvidia GPU to work like original Apple Nvidia GPU.

@kizwan,

Thats true I forgot about the Chameleon Injection. I will still give it a try but it may be redundant since its already injected.

There where some links I provided several posts up. Especially this one where they try to get sleep/wake to function 100% by additional scripts. Further down there is some scripts on the OS.

Should Darwin (_OSI) be added in my DSDT or not? All the OS's, winXP, WIndows 2000, etc are there except Darwin. Not sure what benifits there will be by adding it?

CandyKane's Post. Your post is a couple down :(

http://osx86.net/f84/various-dsdt-mods-t1960/page3.html

I did try some of this script which still did not get me any further from fixing the issue. I wonder if these hacks can be applied to other sections in the DSDT to help resolve this. Would adjusting the AAPL Current values be my only way for now and where do these values come from? I made all changes as you requested and that oldnapalm suggested with no luck.

My Dell D830 Latitude also suffers from the Disk being removed improperly upon wake. The D830 model is the exact clone of the Inspiron XPS M1330 from this thread below they also cannot fix the Disk Removal Error nor can we fix the LPC initialization issue for the M1330 and M1530.

immo guide:

That thread is very helpful in many ways. They still have not solved the AppleLPC initialization Issue for any of the XPS Inspiron series.

My Dell XPS M1530 works almost 100% like a MacBook Pro except for no cstinfo in ioreg because of the LPC problem, this no _CST injection, but my processor stays below 50. Averages 45. So I am ok with this.

I really appreciate all the time and effort you put into this project. I have learned a lot. I am still very happy with the way the G51jx is running, and the Disk Removal Error is only a minor annoyance.

Thanks again for all the great help. I will continue trying other fixes and post my results here. Please post your results on your Asus and Dell Notebook if you come across any future fixes.

Thanks again!!

@kizwan,

Your not going to believe this. The Vantec Laptop Cooler was actually causing my CPU temperature to rise as much as 67 when powering it through the USB. I powered it through its own dedicated DC supply and now my temps are 45-50.

Some odd reason using the USB ports to power it causes the CPU temps to rise? That makes no sense to me.

@kizwan,

Your not going to believe this. The Vantec Laptop Cooler was actually causing my CPU temperature to rise as much as 67 when powering it through the USB. I powered it through its own dedicated DC supply and now my temps are 45-50.

Some odd reason using the USB ports to power it causes the CPU temps to rise? That makes no sense to me.

That is very odd indeed. I'm happy with my i7 temperature on my Dell Studio. Always between 50 - 55. If I use my Cooler Master Notepal, I think I can get lower than that. On my Asus, I can't monitor the i5 temperature since the sensor is not compatible with Mac OS X. Maybe I can get it to work by injecting device ID in DSDT.

That is very odd indeed. I'm happy with my i7 temperature on my Dell Studio. Always between 50 - 55. If I use my Cooler Master Notepal, I think I can get lower than that. On my Asus, I can't monitor the i5 temperature since the sensor is not compatible with Mac OS X. Maybe I can get it to work by injecting device ID in DSDT.

I hope you don't find this going off topic. I would like to take your opinions on CPU temp.

I don't remember what the last time was that I used Windows on my laptop so I can't really know what the normal temperature range for my laptop.

My HDX stays 40-50 most of the time. When I boot for the first time, the temp is around 28-37. It takes almost 15-20 minutes use of reading, surfing before hearing the first fan noise, which is generally after 50.

I don't have a constant fan noise. That's good.

It runs and then stops for a reasonable time.

In idle, I can only hear fan running in every 5 minutes for a 30 sec max. On battery mode, when it is idle, I hardly hear fan noise. May be the CPU goes to deeper C-States than when it is on AC.

I can feel that my fan is a little bit of dirty as it is clear from the fan noise. I'll try to clean it via compressed air. Finally, I believe that I can decrease the temp by modifying PSS section, which I don't know how to do yet.

Of course these are just the rough observations and you could also see that I don't do any power hungry tasks on my laptop but I would like to ask you if these are just normal temps & behaviours for a hackintosh?

Should I push it further?

I hope you don't find this going off topic. I would like to take your opinions on CPU temp.

I don't remember what the last time was that I used Windows on my laptop so I can't really know what the normal temperature range for my laptop.

My HDX stays 40-50 most of the time. When I boot for the first time, the temp is around 28-37. It takes almost 15-20 minutes use of reading, surfing before hearing the first fan noise, which is generally after 50.

I don't have a constant fan noise. That's good.

It runs and then stops for a reasonable time.

In idle, I can only hear fan running in every 5 minutes for a 30 sec max. On battery mode, when it is idle, I hardly hear fan noise. May be the CPU goes to deeper C-States than when it is on AC.

I can feel that my fan is a little bit of dirty as it is clear from the fan noise. I'll try to clean it via compressed air. Finally, I believe that I can decrease the temp by modifying PSS section, which I don't know how to do yet.

Of course these are just the rough observations and you could also see that I don't do any power hungry tasks on my laptop but I would like to ask you if these are just normal temps & behaviours for a hackintosh?

Should I push it further?

I find the temperature range are normal. My Acer Aspire 9420 with Core 2 Duo T5600 was running very hot. It can easily reached 100 celcius by just watching youtube. I have to open the notebook casing & do a full cleanup. Motherboard basically covered with dust. After that, my Acer running very cool. It even can reached 3X celcius. So I think the temperature range look OK for Core 2 Duo notebook with OSX. If the cooling system on your notebook working as it should be, even if you stressed the CPU, the temperature should not more than 65 - 70 celcius.