[Guide] P6X58D Premium. Retail 10.6.4 Install. :)

kup

247 posts in this topic

PLEASE USE THIS BOOT132 CD AND FILES ATTACHED TO THE BOTTOM OF THE POST.

===

The BOOT132 CD has been updated. Please redownload the archive if you've had problems booting the Snow Leopard Install DVD.

===

THIS GUIDE ASSUMES PEOPLE HAVE RESEARCHED THEIR GRAPHICS CARDS AND KNOW WHAT WILL AND WON'T WORK WITH SNOW LEOPARD. PLEASE KEEP GRAPHICS DISCUSSION IN THE GRAPHICS FORUM.

===

Bios Setup.

Follow the pictures below (borrowed from the P6T Deluxe thread here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=208724)

===

1: Boot the System with the provided Boot132 CD and put the Extra and Bootloader files on a USB stick (you'll need them later).

2: Once the Boot Menu appears, wait for the light on the DVD to stop and then eject the CD, insert your Snow Leopard DVD and press F5.

3: The Menu should refresh and show the Snow Leopard Install DVD instead.

4: At this point you can enter any flags you require (You should only need Safe Mode if you're running a single nVidia card) ;

-x (Safe Mode)

-v (Verbose)

arch=i386 (Enable 32Bit mode)

cpus=# (# = Number of cores)

busratio=# (# = Multiplier of CPU, use 20 if you have an i7 920, 21 if you have a 930, 22 if you have a 940 and so on)

"Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32@85" (Width x Height x Depth x RefreshRate)

-v -x cpus=1 arch=i386 busratio=20

5: Hit Enter and OSX should start to boot, eventually resulting in the Language Menu. Select your chosen Language and continue.

6: You will now be greeted with a very basic OSX desktop, focusing on the Installer in the center on the screen. Ignore that for now and on the top menu bar go to Utilities and then Disk Utility.

7: Select the HDD you wish to install to and click the Partitions Tab. Adjust the partitions according to your requirements (I would recommend 1 partition first time round).

8: Select GUID Partition Scheme and apply the changes. Disk Utility will format the HDD/Partitions. Once completed exit Disk Utility and you'll be back at the Installer.

9: Click through until you get the option to pick a Volume (HDD/Partition) to install Snow Leopard to. At this point you can also click Customise and choose which extra bits and pieces you wish to install (Printer Drivers and stuff).

10: The installation will continue through until the end but MAY tell you that it has failed right at the end, this is fine and expected. We'll fix this in the next few steps.

11: Reboot the System when prompted to do so and hit F8 to bring up the Asus Boot Menu. Eject the Snow Leopard Install DVD and insert the Boot132 CD once again.

12: Boot the Boot132 CD and you'll be back at the Boot Menu, this time with the Boot132 CD and your Snow Leopard HDD visible. Select the Snow Leopard HDD and apply the same flags as before, hit Enter and cross your fingers.

13: Watch the Video (or don't) and continue through the setup, you will need a password on your user account. Skip the registration with Command+Q (Windows Key+Q, or on some Keyboards this will be Alt+Q).

14: You should now be at the desktop with a CD Icon at the top right. Insert the USB stick you prepared earlier.

15: Run the BootLoader Installer and just click through to the end (you may wish to manually specify the location when prompted to do so).

16: Now switch back to your USB stick and copy the Extra folder from the .ZIP to the root of your Snow Leopard HDD. (this is the first Folder that includes all other Folders).

17: You should now have a Folder labled 'Extra' installed in the Root of your main HDD.

18: On the USB navigate to the 'Kext Apps' folder. Copy and Paste both 'Kext Utility' and 'Kext Helper B7'to your desktop.

19: Double click 'Kext Utility' on the desktop, enter your password and let it run. This step is to reset permissions on your Kexts and allow the system to boot correctly without the Boot132 CD.

At this point you could reboot and Snow Leopard should run just fine without the Boot132 CD.

20: If you wish to update Snow Leopard I recommend using the 10.6.4 Update located here (http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL1048/en_US/MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.4.dmg).

==========

10.6.4 Audio Fix

==========

10.6.4 causes issues with Audio right now, but there are several solutions to the problem.

1: Download and install the 10.6.4 Update (to install just click through, it's pretty simple).

2: Once installed you will be required to reboot. Do so and when you return to Snow Leopard you'll have lost your Audio.

3: Open up 'Kext Helper B7' from the desktop, drag and drop the 10.6.4 AppleHDA.kext into it, enter your password and click 'RUN'. This should now be replacing your 10.6.0 AppleHDA.kext with the working one. Once completed close 'Kext Helper B7' and open 'Kext Utility' from your desktop. Enter your password and hit Enter. This is just to double check and reset permissions on your HDD.

4: Once completed, close 'Kext Utility' and reboot. This time you should have Audio back and working.

===

Any queries or problems, please post in this thread instead of sending a PM. :(

P6X58D_Premium_Files.zip

• Like 1

I'd like to thank the various contributors who's work I have used to compile this guide.

IanT, BChemist, The_King, Netkas and all of the creators of the Apps and Kexts that have been used here. :(

Thank you for the noble act :):wacko:

Quick question: With i930, does it mean my command line is "-v -x cpus=4 arch=i386 busratio=21"?

Since 930 has 4 cores. Also if i omit the arch command, does it mean my installation won't work or it'll become 64bits?

I'm hoping to tap onto the full advantage of 64bits in SL

Thank you very much once again!! :P

If you have just a single nVidia graphics card I'd give it a try with no flags, it works for me that way. If not, maybe give safe mode and busratio a try?

Without the arch command it defaults to 64bit mode once you've installed the Bootloader but on the Boot132

CD you should use it for 64bit. I'm going to double check this tonight as I may have got that wrong.

I'm building a new Boot132 CD right now. It should fix a few issues I've spotted and will be using the same bootloader (AsereBLN v1.1.9) as the final installed OS will use. :)

EDIT: The BOOT132 CD has been updated. Please redownload the archive if you've had problems booting the Snow Leopard Install DVD.

WOW!! Thats so cool!! :D U the man!! I succeeded!! Hurray!! Thank you very very very much!!!

The V2 of 132 BootCD works. Initially with V1, my SL disc wouldn't boot.

Now i'm face with a few issues & hoping you can enlighten me. ;)

1) Keyboard is USB. In bootup screen, i can't use it to select the OSx option / partition. In order to do it, i have to put the USB connector to a PS/2 adaptor into the PS/2 port. However, upon booting into OSx, mac says no keyboard detected.

Another way to go around it is to set USB Legacy to Enable/Auto inside BIOS, but doing so disable USB ports when OSx boots up, so i can't use thumbdrive or other USB devices.

2) When i install SL, i've to kill off Win7 partition in order to set the HDD to GUID. There are 2 partitions right now, SL is installed in the 2nd & i'm reserving the 1st for Win7 again. How do i go about dual booting? Do i insert 132BootCD & then F5 & put in Win7 installer, or something else? Maybe in OSx i should use Boot Camp?

Sorry, i don't have the option to put in another HDD dedicated for Win7 only, becos' i've used up all the SATA ports for data HDDs & ODDs. Any help to the issues is greatly appreciated. :P

Once more.... THANK YOU VVVVVVV MUCH!!! ;)

Ok, more updates :(

1st thing 1st. I load BIOS to default again just to be sure everything is ok & VIOLA!! The USB keyboard working w/o issues when i set Legacy to Auto. Inside OSx USB ports are all working fine less the USB 3.0 of course.

After playing with OSx & updating it to 10.6.4, some other stuff props up.

1) No audio. Was w/o audio with 1st install ver 10.6.3. So after updated to 10.6.4, there's still no sound. Any kexts i can try? I've done what u put up in the instructions with Kext Helper B7.

2) I'm not sure if QE/CI is working. The Sys Profiler didn't show if its enable, but the menu bar is translucent. I assumed its ok until i tried to calibrate the screen. Those sliders work ok but i can't see the effect of that mac logo behind those curtain blinds background for calibration. So maybe QE/CI not really working? My graphics is nVidia GTX-275 EVGA, the profiler identify it correctly but the calibration is just not really working properly

3) The Win7 dual booting tips on the same HDD?

Thanks a million!! ;)

I'll try again tom, now busy with some work

Tried, the one in the Extra folder & also the one found in your original bundle package that says 10.6.4. AppleHDAalc889binpatch.zip But both didn't work.

Also whenever i run kexthelper, i can't quit. I have to force quit it. SO not sure if thats the problem, maybe the kext was not install properly thats why it hung? Also i ran Kext utility to repair permission juzt in case, that didn't help too.

Edited: I tried manually putting the kext from the Extra Folder into the sys/lib/extensions , there's an error msg saying that the kext cannot be use. Also tried putting in HDAEnabler & LegacyHDA kexts, didn't work either. Maybe that error is causing KextHelper to hang.

Tried, the one in the Extra folder & also the one found in your original bundle package that says 10.6.4. AppleHDAalc889binpatch.zip But both didn't work.

Also whenever i run kexthelper, i can't quit. I have to force quit it. SO not sure if thats the problem, maybe the kext was not install properly thats why it hung? Also i ran Kext utility to repair permission juzt in case, that didn't help too.

Edited: I tried manually putting the kext from the Extra Folder into the sys/lib/extensions , there's an error msg saying that the kext cannot be use. Also tried putting in HDAEnabler & LegacyHDA kexts, didn't work either. Maybe that error is causing KextHelper to hang.

Ok, try this. Boot into safemode. Delete AppleHDA manually from S/L/E. Copy and paste the new fixed AppleHDA from the supplied archive into S/L/E. Now run KextUtilty and reboot. That might fix it. The only other thing I can think of is not having the audio enabled or set the HD in the bios?

Slammin, glad it worked for you. :)

has anyone tried this with P6X58D-E?

I am trying it as we speak. I know the board is pretty similar so I was hoping there wouldn't be any serious issues with trying out the dsdt and kexts on this board. So far my CD ROM drive has quit 5% into installation once already so I'm hoping that isn't a problem.

Also where have people been having hang ups with the version 1 installation?

Ok, try this. Boot into safemode. Delete AppleHDA manually from S/L/E. Copy and paste the new fixed AppleHDA from the supplied archive into S/L/E. Now run KextUtilty and reboot. That might fix it. The only other thing I can think of is not having the audio enabled or set the HD in the bios?

WOOHOO!!! U THE MAN!!! Booting into safe mode & replacing it did it!! :P

So the next challenge... how to get Win7 back into 1st partition with dual boot features? :star_smile:

has anyone tried this with P6X58D-E?

I am trying it as we speak. I know the board is pretty similar so I was hoping there wouldn't be any serious issues with trying out the dsdt and kexts on this board. So far my CD ROM drive has quit 5% into installation once already so I'm hoping that isn't a problem.

Also where have people been having hang ups with the version 1 installation?

The version 1 BootCD had issues booting on certain hardware configs. v2 is fine. :D It should work fine on the P6X58D-E because the only difference is one less LAN and a newer SATA3 chip (which isn't supported anyway yet). Try Boot132 CD v2 and let me know how you get on. :)

Read two posts before me FAIL.

Has anybody else gotten:

You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button until it turns off, then press the Power button again.???

This is a kernel panic. At the bootloader, boot with Verbose mode using -v and see what it says the panic is due to. If you're not using the v2 Boot132 CD, redownload the archive and give v2 a try.

With audio out of the way, any idea how to get the colorsync to calibrate properly? Somehow i feel it has something to do with the display driver, thats causing the calibration slider not working & color of photos looking strange.

What prompted me to suspect its the driver thats the culprit, RAW photos has a dark greenish hue like the Matrix movie, jpegs are fine. Didn't had this prob when using Leopard 10.5.7

Any display kext i could try? ;)

Hi, another quick question.

Is there a drive size limitation on 132BootCD? I can't boot up the sys with the 1TB Western D Scorpio Black drive attached. Its not the port or the cable, i've tested to be triply sure. After the sys booted up, i can hotplug the 1TB drive in & everything's intact, drive is working fine.

Anyway to get around it?

That's strange. I'm using the bootloader on the HDD. But i've tried bootloader from the CD, its the same, it won't boot after POST with the 1TB attached.

Currently, i'm thinking of installing the bootloader onto a thumbdrive so i can plug it permanently to dual boot Win 7 & OSx. ATM, testing out dual booting from the CD, but kind of slow. U reckon its a good solution? :)

How can i install the bootloader ISO into the thumbdrive & make it bootable?

Thanks a million!! :D

The 1TB drive is attached to port 3. I've swap out the ODD at port 5, tried port 4 (where my 500GB HDD is attached) & the result is the same. No problem when the comp POST & also everything is normal if i install Win7 as per a normal PC. Tested the power as well, plug out all drives except for boot HDD & 1TB, no issue with power supply but same result.

Sorry , can i check, when you say install bootloader into the thumbdrive, do you mean just copy the BootCD ISO image into it after journaled formatting? Or something else? Maybe in Utility & do a image restore into the thumbdrive?

Sorry, my bad. The bootloader is installed from the Bootloader folder. I actually need to select which drive to install. :P

After booting from USB thumbdrive with OS selection menu, i can select OSx, but it wouldn't boot, i got a blankscreen after the apple logo. Win7 boots fine though.

Looks like I still need the boot cd to boot up both win7 & OSx.

Did you copy the 'Extra' folder to the root of the USB as well? Basically just follow the guide for installing on the HDD but change the location to the USB.

Have you done that on the HDD too? Run the bootloader installer and copied the 'Extra' folder over?

15: Run the BootLoader Installer and just click through to the end (you may wish to manually specify the location when prompted to do so).

16: Now switch back to the files I supplied and copy the Extra folder from the .ZIP to the root of your USB. (this is the first Folder that includes all other Folders).

17: You should now have a Folder labled 'Extra' installed in the root of your USB.