How I got my ALC888 working in 10.9 Without DSDT

Elad Nava

55 posts in this topic

The kext loads for me, but there are no output or input devices. AppleAzaliaAudio Works for my green output, but that's it. VoodooHDA works for some of my ports but they are mixed and very distorted.

Specs:

AMD

10.6.4 (10A432)

GA-MA770T-UD3P

ALC888

Modbin's mach_kernel.test7

Glad so many people found my upload useful and solved their sound problems!!! :lol: Sorry SkyD but my guess is that you have a different "address" for example these kexts are for address 0 you might have address 2 as has been stated in page 1 of this topic, give it a read.

• 4 weeks later...

OMG Thank you very much! I can confirm that this work on 10.6.4 on my HP m9360f with some ALC888S card built into the mother board...

I used the Kext Helper b7 to install it, and it's working GREAT (Once I setup the output's correctly).

I'm currently using the 32bit kernel, but hell sound is kind of nice to have, I'll have to try to force it on the x86_64 to see what it does.

Thanks again!

OMG Thank you very much! I can confirm that this work on 10.6.4 on my HP m9360f with some ALC888S card built into the mother board...

I used the Kext Helper b7 to install it, and it's working GREAT (Once I setup the output's correctly).

I'm currently using the 32bit kernel, but hell sound is kind of nice to have, I'll have to try to force it on the x86_64 to see what it does.

Thanks again!

No problem mate! :D

This works really well. Thanks man! Only solution I've found that actually works for the ALC888 and ABit IP35-e.

One thing that I've noticed is that it's almost like my speakers are 2x as loud as they were with whatever my previous solution was (I really don't remember what it was). Unless I turn the software volume to 50% or so, there's a lot of distortion. Not a problem at all. Anybody experience this? I'm coming from an IP35-E.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you it did work out form me BUT i got one problem with i really hate!

When booting and when my speakers will play the first sound it is a loud plopping sound! This is pretty annoing and i don't know how to fix it or if it's bad for my laptop/speakers. Does someone has the same problem as me with this kexts and how'd you fixed it? I really hope someone will reply as i cant find other forums for a fix!

• 2 months later...
Thank you it did work out form me BUT i got one problem with i really hate!

When booting and when my speakers will play the first sound it is a loud plopping sound! This is pretty annoing and i don't know how to fix it or if it's bad for my laptop/speakers. Does someone has the same problem as me with this kexts and how'd you fixed it? I really hope someone will reply as i cant find other forums for a fix!

Sorry, not sure how to fix the popping sound at startup. Try searching insanelymac?

Awesome job!! Just put 10.6.5 on my HP Pavillion P6110f about 2 days ago and have been looking for an alternative to VoodooHDA since. You are a life saver! Awesome job!!

No problem! Always glad to be of help! :)

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi! I'm on Lion 10.7.3 and this is the first AppleHDA.kext that seems working on my Acer Aspire 5930G :D

But there's just one problem; the card seems recognized in the audio settings but actually there's no sound! Also the system profiler seems quite strange; check the attached pictures out...

AudioPrefs.tiff

AudioPrefs2.tiff

Profiler.tiff

I'm quite noob in this Hackintosh world, can someone help me? If useful, here are the verbs I found in Windows Registry:

PinConfigOverRides.txt

P.S.: I have three jacks, Headphone, Mic and Line In

EDIT: I'm also having this errors on boot, I saw them booting with -v

Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1656 goto Exit
Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 203 goto Exit
Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1656 goto Exit
Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 203 goto Exit

Did you check all ports? Can you change system volume from taskbar / keyboard keys?

Whoa, that was fast :D

Yes, I tried all the ports but none of them was working :( I can also change the volume from taskbar and keyboard keys, but there's still no sound...

Also, the "Master" sliders in Audio MIDI Config are at 0 and greyed out, for all the inputs/outputs O.o

AudioMidi.tiff

Hi folks,

I have been trying countless combinations of kexts from around the net to get my ALC888 sound working.

Why didn't you just install VoodooHDA and then modify the kext? To find device and vendor ID look at THIS. Be sure to install JAVA JDK or the System Info program will not work. Your output should look like this...

ev0v9c.png

Be sure to choose the right audio device. My graphics card has an audio device. That is presumably for HDMI.

Copy the installed VoodooHDA to the desktop. Now right click on the installed VoodooHDA kext and click "show package contents". A folder called contents should be visible. Double click on that. You should see a file called "Info.plist". Open that with TextEdit. Modify the two lines just like the guide says. Your finished product should look something like this...

rl969v.png

Once you are sure everything is correct save the file and reinstall it back into s/l/e using kextwizard. Delete the AppleHDA kext. Repair permissions and rebuild caches and then reboot. Everything should work... hopefully. You will have to go into the Voodoo prefpane to make some adjustments for optimal sound. Check out the guide I linked to earlier it has some other edits you can do to the Info.plist if you need to tweak VoodooHDA beyond what you can do in the prefpane. This method works well to get rid of VoodooHDA kernel panics.

It's not "vanilla" but you only add one kext and you actually delete another. The thing is if you do an update you must remember to remove the AppleHDA kext or you could have a KP.

I tried VoodooHDA, it had terrible quality if I remember correctly and low sound volume for my card.

Like I said modify the kext, tweak the sliders in the prefpane and if you need to do tweaking beyond that edit the Info.plist. I believe your low volume issue with VoodooHDA could be solved with this...

2emofvc.png

I have found installing VoodooHDA is only the first step. A lot of people have to tweak it a bit to get optimal sound.

Caveat! I have not tried other sound methods. They may sound better than VoodooHDA even with all the tweaks. I am in the process of exploring DSDT. I will report back if I get it working and it sounds better.