Support Group for Confused Owners of the GA-X58A-UD3R **rev 2.0**

660 posts in this topic

I'm going to then run a diff of A and C so we'll know exactly what makes a rev 1 different from rev 2 from the board.

Then run a diff of A and B to see what changes were made to make the DSDT work for Mac OS X.

Wonderful! This is exactly what I've been hunting for!

Kakewalk,

Audio with Legacy drivers, and replacing the AppleHDA.kext

Where can i find these legacy drivers? which AppleHDA.kext did you replace with? there are several it seems...

I have everything working except audio using arch=i386 and realtek drivers from website.

I currently have a usb audio solution but i would like to get everything working asap.

I am also running the newest kernal from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 2.0. and using the dsdt from soemo (which gets me the best scores in geekbench compared to the other dsdts i have tried). sleep seems to work except when chosen in the finder...

// econ

x58a-ud3r rev2

i7 920

msi n260gtx

12GB ddr3 1600

Where can i find these legacy drivers? which AppleHDA.kext did you replace with? there are several it seems...

I have everything working except audio using arch=i386 and realtek drivers from website.

I currently have a usb audio solution but i would like to get everything working asap.

I am also running the newest kernal from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 2.0. and using the dsdt from soemo (which gets me the best scores in geekbench compared to the other dsdts i have tried). sleep seems to work except when chosen in the finder...

// econ

x58a-ud3r rev2

i7 920

msi n260gtx

12GB ddr3 1600

How did you get Sleep working? I installed the 10.6.3 SleepEnabler kext from googlecode and when I selected Finder -> Sleep (I know you said it didn't work for you) it shut down the machine but then something strange happened: it appeared to shut down, restart, have some issues, shut down, restart with a BIOS failure which I could continue and then restart all the way, after that, it appeared that it had waken up from sleep mode. If I use Sleep and just let it time out, does that work?

I also have Audio working but only with the Line Out hole (every other hole is dead) using LegacyHDA and Networking with the Realtek drivers mentioned here. I have a DSDT.aml but I think it's from my Kakewalk install.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X58A-U3DR rev 2.0

CPU: i7 930

EVGA 512 MB n260gtx

6GB DDR3 1600

Kakewalk/SL 10.6.3

Well my hackintosh is running with audio and everything like i said on my previous post, but sometimes when i try to open a folder it takes for ever to display the images, and it happens a lot that in any program it freezes for about a second or two. Is there something i should check so i can narrow down the problem.

I checked kernel.log and found this, i think it is problem, the hard drive is brand new so i am hoping it is not the problem, just a kext or something

1502:Jun 10 15:24:46 The-Lu-Hackers-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: disk2: I/O error.

1503-Jun 10 15:24:51 The-Lu-Hackers-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, SENSE_KEY = 0x03, ASC = 0x02, ASCQ = 0x00

1504:Jun 10 15:24:51 The-Lu-Hackers-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: disk2: I/O error.

1505-Jun 10 15:25:14 The-Lu-Hackers-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, SENSE_KEY = 0x03, ASC = 0x02, ASCQ = 0x00

So, this DSDT business is hard. :)

Here's the unmodified DSDT extracted via Ubuntu Live CD: ga_x58a_ud3r_r2_fa.zip

So far, the only changes I've been able to roll in are Speedstep for an i7-930 and the Advanced DSDT Fixes: Enable Sleep on P55 Motherboards which did not enable sleep, but did enable iPad/iPhone charging on my two USB/eSata ports on the back of the board.

So I've finally jumped into the DSDT mess and built a custom DSDT for the rev2.0 x58a-ud3r board and the i7-930 proc. I didn't include any fixes for video (GraphicsEnabler=yes takes care of basic video). Ethernet is included, so remove any ethernet strings (including built-in) from your com.apple.boot.plist.

x58_ud3r_rev2_dsdt.zip

This was all done according to d00d's excellent (if overwhelming) guide, and the performance I'm seeing is better than the soemo DSDT that was posted earlier. Even startup is quite faster. System is also very stable.

** Note: you need to make the following changes to your .plists:

To make the CPU changes work correctly, add the following to com.apple.Boot.plist.

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>yes</string>

Identify your machine as MacPro4,1 in smbios.plist.

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacPro4,1</string>

Modify fakesmc.kext/Contents/Info.plist in two places with MacPro4,1 specific information (1.30f3 and smc-napa changed to 1.39f5 and smc-thurley).

or just grab this fakesmc i've already modded:

macpro4_1_fakesmc.kext.zip

So I've finally jumped into the DSDT mess and built a custom DSDT for the rev2.0 x58a-ud3r board and the i7-930 proc. I didn't include any fixes for audio or video (GraphicsEnabler=yes takes care of basic video, and audio is turning out to be rather tricky - the same AppleHDA.kext fix I posted about earlier isn't working at all with this new DSDT). Ethernet is included, so remove any ethernet strings (including built-in) from your com.apple.boot.plist.

This was all done according to d00d's excellent (if overwhelming) guide, and the performance I'm seeing is better than the soemo DSDT that was posted earlier. Even startup is quite faster. System is also very stable.

To make the CPU changes work correctly, add the following to com.apple.Boot.plist.

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>

Modify fakesmc.kext/Contents/Info.plist in two places with MacPro4,1 specific information (1.30f3 and smc-napa changed to 1.39f5 and smc-thurley).

We have practically the same machine :) My machine is working with your audio fix and the Realtek drivers but I'm only getting about 4700 in Geekbench. What kind of numbers are you getting? I don't have Sleep working (tried a few things including the new 10.6.3 kext) but otherwise am pretty happy with the machine and the stability.

I think I'm going to hold off on your DSDT until something can be done about the ALC889. Really appreciate the R&D you're doing on this though!

We have practically the same machine :) My machine is working with your audio fix and the Realtek drivers but I'm only getting about 4700 in Geekbench. What kind of numbers are you getting? I don't have Sleep working (tried a few things including the new 10.6.3 kext) but otherwise am pretty happy with the machine and the stability

at standard 2.8 clock, 10070. at 3.57ghz overclock, 12930. You're low because of powermanagement/speedstep issues, and my DSDT will fix them. Soemo's DSDT will improve scores too, and his seems to work with the audio fixes (though it was off in other areas).

Sleep isn't working for me either with my new DSDT - it will sleep, and the machine will power back up, but there's no video or ethernet, so it's useless.

I used Soemo's DSDT but I can't figure out what method to use to get sound. I tried the AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E and the Legacy889HDA.kext in E/E but I get no sound. I also tried the voodoo from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] but I can no longer boot when I use that one.

How did you guys successfully get sound using Soemo's DSDT?

just updated to 10.6.4 - for some reason, my ethernet stopped working altogether, even though I have ethernet enabled in the DSDT (not in com.apple.boot.plist or with kext).

Couldn't explain it, so I gave up and re-installed the RTGNICv2.0.4.pkg realtek driver (which from what I can see just has the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext in it)... now my ethernet's back...

But what I really don't understand, is there is *no* realtek .kext or AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext in my S/L/E or *anywhere* - so how is this possible?

AUDIO SUCCESS!

So thanks to rankrotten I finally got the right HDEF code into the DSDT - I've updated the attachment in post #33 with the new DSDT file. That new DSDT, in combination with tonymac's Legacy889HDA.kext and this new patched AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.4 will give you *fully functional* audio, including encoded digital 5.1!

patched_10.6.4_AppleHDA.kext.zip

Legacy889HDA.kext.zip

update to 10.6.4, then replace existing AppleHDA with this patched one in S/L/E, put Legacy889HDA in E/E, repair permissions and rebuild kext caches, then reboot and enjoy a movie...

AUDIO SUCCESS!

So thanks to rankrotten I finally got the right HDEF code into the DSDT - I've updated the attachment in post #33 with the new DSDT file. That new DSDT, in combination with tonymac's Legacy889HDA.kext and this new patched AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.4 will give you *fully functional* audio, including encoded digital 5.1!

Legacy889HDA.kext.zip

update to 10.6.4, then replace existing AppleHDA with this patched one in S/L/E, put Legacy889HDA in E/E, repair permissions and rebuild kext caches, then reboot and enjoy a movie...

nullspot - you are awesome. I hope you're not neglecting too many other duties in your life to make this happen for all us rev 2.0'ers :rolleyes: Strangely enough, seeing the e-mail updates from insanelymac that this thread has been updated is the currently most exciting thing I'm expecting in my inbox.

Will try tonight, can't wait to see the better geekbench scores.

So I've finally jumped into the DSDT mess and built a custom DSDT for the rev2.0 x58a-ud3r board and the i7-930 proc. I didn't include any fixes for video (GraphicsEnabler=yes takes care of basic video). Ethernet is included, so remove any ethernet strings (including built-in) from your com.apple.boot.plist.

x58_ud3r_rev2_dsdt.zip

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>

What changes do I have to do for a i7-920 procesor, will it work the same as yours?

AUDIO SUCCESS!

Legacy889HDA.kext.zip

I tried using your two kexts here and making your HDEF changes to my DSDT, but still no joy. Since I'm rocking the i7-930 and NVidia card, I tried to just swap in your DSDT, but when I booted up, all my disks were orange! I can't remember if my sound was working or not.

So, I've got no sound from the board, but I'm getting by with my USB soundsticks.

Anyway, here's my DSDT if you want to compare. I do have some really cool USB stuff in there that's got my iPad/Phone charging on the USB ports. Maybe we can get ours merged to some sort of Super DSDT.

howboutjoe_i7_930_ga_x58a_ud3r_r2_dsdt.zip

Is your box sleeping yet?

I tried using your two kexts here and making your HDEF changes to my DSDT, but still no joy. Since I'm rocking the i7-930 and NVidia card, I tried to just swap in your DSDT, but when I booted up, all my disks were orange! I can't remember if my sound was working or not.

So, I've got no sound from the board, but I'm getting by with my USB soundsticks.

Anyway, here's my DSDT if you want to compare. I do have some really cool USB stuff in there that's got my iPad/Phone charging on the USB ports. Maybe we can get ours merged to some sort of Super DSDT.

howboutjoe_i7_930_ga_x58a_ud3r_r2_dsdt.zip

Is your box sleeping yet?

I still don't have sleep working - trying the xnu-sleep enabler kext breaks my machine and I have to disable it at startup. However, the machine is rock solid.

Does not having sleep/speedstep enabled mean that when the machine is idle it's still using full power?

I tried using your two kexts here and making your HDEF changes to my DSDT, but still no joy.

I was just looking in my /Extra folder and saw Legacy889HDA.kext, so I'm thinking maybe I was a dumbass and didn't put in in /E/E.

Since I saw it from remote desktop, I'm not going to reboot remotely, but I'll let you guys know if that was my problem when I get home tonight.

nullspot - I have to applaud the elegance and simplicity of the simple act of adding a color label to the AppleHDA.kext you uploaded. It was so easy to confirm that it was still the one I had loaded. Well done.

I was just looking in my /Extra folder and saw Legacy889HDA.kext, so I'm thinking maybe I was a dumbass and didn't put in in /E/E.

Since I saw it from remote desktop, I'm not going to reboot remotely, but I'll let you guys know if that was my problem when I get home tonight.

Using any Legacy889HDA.kext makes my coreaudiod go crazy and just eat cpu. Yanked it, but still no audio here.

nullspot

What's your kext situation look like now? Which ones are still in /E/E and What's new and/or modified in /S/L/E? I want to try your DSDT again with the right set of extensions and see if that works for me.

What's your kext situation look like now? Which ones are still in /E/E and What's new and/or modified in /S/L/E? I want to try your DSDT again with the right set of extensions and see if that works for me.

Looks like you have the *exact* same hardware as me... not sure why you're having so much trouble. I just realized I've actually got sleep working - i just have to wake up the box with the power button (usb devices don't seem to wake everything up).

Only new stuff is the tonymac JMicron36xSATA.kext (so the sata controller doesn't appear as "unknown") and d00d's modded fakesmc.kext in S/L/E simply for its support of temp, fan and voltage monitoring in iStat Menus.

Other than that, everything's just as I've posted earlier, 10.6.4 update and all...

E/E:

- Legacy889HDA.kext

- OrangeIconFix.kext

- JMicron36xSATA.kext

S/L/E:

- AppleHDA.kext (10.6.4 patched)

- fakesmc.kext (d00d 1.8.1 mod) - note: the older fakesmc.kext in E/E works just fine too

nullspot - how did you get sleep working? Did it work out of the box or did you install someone's sleep enabler?

I'm currently using a 10.6.3 sleep enabler and it's crashing on startup, I have to have pmVersion=0 for it to work.

However, the more I think about it, the more I realize I don't really use/need sleep on desktops, I just want it to turn off monitors, hard drives and speedstep to a low CPU wattage when it's not being used...

nullspot - how did you get sleep working? Did it work out of the box or did you install someone's sleep enabler?

However, the more I think about it, the more I realize I don't really use/need sleep on desktops, I just want it to turn off monitors, hard drives and speedstep to a low CPU wattage when it's not being used...

i have no sleepenablers or special settings or plists...

just my custom DSDT that I posted earlier. Like I said, it's not working perfectly. Going to sleep is easy, waking up and having displays and keyboards work was the issue. But just pushing the power button seem to be enough for me...

But yes, I also don't really need sleep much at all.

**EDIT**

I just tried waking from sleep again by just pressing a key. Worked! Don't know what's changed... display came back on, usb worked... actually ethernet did not come back - I had to go into network prefs and turn it off and back on for it to become active again.

NOTE - I am currently using a TRENDnet TEG-PCITXR network card, as I am not totally confident in the built-in ethernet solutions. I've had my built-in working with DSDT and realtek drivers, but bonjour has only worked with certain other macs on my network, and I've had many "freezes" where my network traffic disappears and the machine seems to lock up (one by one programs get stuck in spinning beach ball, even though the OS isn't totally frozen). I've simply heard using this card is much more "vanilla" as it uses the same 8169 chipset as apple. It's also 64-bit compatible. But I'm not sure why it doesn't come back to life automatically after sleep. I'm wondering if my DSDT edits dealing with the "en0" interface (this pci card is listed as "en1") has anything to do with it...