• Please log in to reply
654 replies to this topic

howboutjoe

howboutjoe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

im just hoping that as more people start getting rev2.0 boards, more solutions start to arise as time goes on...

Well, the good news is, only the rev 2 boards can charge an iPad, so we've got that going for us.

Phorte

Phorte

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

I had this same problem - somewhere in the process of updating to 10.6.3, experimenting with audio kexts, etc., my NIC went slow too. It took a lot of trial and error to get it back right. I had to try reinstalling things in various orders, and eventually it stuck at gigabit...

wow so weird! i went all the way back and:

uninstalled realtek drivers. deleted network preferences and rebuilt caches with onyx. then i followed the same steps as when i first built my hack, so i re-ran 10.6.3 update then re-ran kakewalk 2.2 usb then reinstall realtek drivers. im still stuck at halfduplex!! hah!

edit: weird. after all of that, all i did one last thing that didnt cross my mind (but then, why should it) - i rebooted my router too. wtf now my nic has 1gbit link speed. errrrr im not complaining. at least it works now.

nullspot

nullspot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

wow so weird! i went all the way back and:

uninstalled realtek drivers. deleted network preferences and rebuilt caches with onyx. then i followed the same steps as when i first built my hack, so i re-ran 10.6.3 update then re-ran kakewalk 2.2 usb then reinstall realtek drivers. im still stuck at halfduplex!! hah!

edit: weird. after all of that, all i did one last thing that didnt cross my mind (but then, why should it) - i rebooted my router too. wtf now my nic has 1gbit link speed. errrrr im not complaining. at least it works now.

I would note that in my experience, these built-in ethernet ports (on all my Gigabyte boards) are **very finicky** with many gigabit routers. Won't reliably link at gigabit speeds with certain brands - if you have D-link, try netgear, or vice versa...

jdc

jdc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well, I have practically your same hardware.

First I tried ##### + #####. I installed it with no problem, it booted but i had now audio and no ethernet card. I installed Voodoo 0.2.6.1 and the audio worked, it seemed ok, i didnt do any special tests but it sounded ok. The problem was the ethernet card i tried many things, then read about a problem with the realtek driver and 64 bits, booted with 32 bits, but it didnt seemed to work.

After a while i messed up with so many kext that i had problem booting, and i can only booted with the ##### cd.

I tried a clean install with kakewalk. It worked fine, i did everything you did up to installing kakewalkboot 2.2 and installed the realtek driver. (it worked, but i had no audio).

So i tried installing #####, for voodoo 0.2.6.1 but i had a problem booting, it just didnt boot. so i used the ##### cd, and everything worked, even audio and ethernet card. Installed some stuff, but couldnt boot without the cd. So at the end i did something and my computer only recognized 4 GB ram instead of 8, and nothing was working.

I did a new install with kakewalk and followed your steps i think that you can use directly new kakewalk cd, instead of an old version and then upgrade it, if you add arch=i386 to your /Extras/com.apple.Boot.plist, so the ethernet works.

To sum everything up,

##### + #####

Audio with Voodoo kext,
Ethernet card didnt work, (even with 32 bits, but the problem might be that i tried to many options and /S/L/E was kind of a mess also /E/E)
Processor recognized as I7 Core 2 Quad not as 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
VideoCard GeForce 9800 GT, worked dual monitors
Sleep seemed to work. It went to sleep and came back without any problems

Kakewalk,
Audio with Legacy drivers, and replacing the AppleHDA.kext
Ethernet card worked with drivers from the website.
Processor recognized as 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, i dont know if this will affect the performance, i am pretty sure there is something i can do to fix this.
VideoCard GeForce 9800 GT, worked dual monitors
Sleep, when i pressed sleep, the computer crashed, i just finished installing so i have to do further testings, i read somewhere you can fix this..

In both cases I installed SL 1.6 and upgraded to 1.6.3 with the combo thing. It didnt seem to matter the changes in the hardware between the upgrade.

I also have PCI firewire card (800), it works out of the box, the external e-sata ports are working. I will keep you updated.
If I knew how to create DSDT, i would have but right now i am to lazy and there are so many things i have to do. My plan was to use the DSDT file they give in TonyMacx86 (http://www.tonymacx8...3&t=931&start=0), for the REV 1.0 and work my way up.

howboutjoe

howboutjoe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
I have plan for the DSDT.

A friend and I are building the same Hackintosh. Identical down to the case. Only difference is that he's got a Rev 1 board. He's putting his together today. Before he loads Mac OS X, I'm going to extract his DSDT from the BIOS using an Ubuntu Live CD. When he's done, I'm going to take a copy of his working DSDT. Then I'm going to use the live CD to get my vanilla DSDT.

So, at this point I'll have three DSDTs:

A: An untouched i7-930 / GA-X58A-UD3R (rev 1) / nVidia 9800GT DSDT
B: A working i7-930 / GA-X58A-UD3R (rev 1) / nVidia 9800GT DSDT
C: An untouched i7-930 / GA-X58A-UD3R (rev 2) / nVidia 9800GT DSDT

I'm going to then run a diff of A and C so we'll know exactly what makes a rev 1 different from rev 2 from the board.

Then run a diff of A and B to see what changes were made to make the DSDT work for Mac OS X.

Hopefully both of those diffs will paint a clear enough picture to figure out what modifications I'll need to make to © to make a working DSDT for rev 2 boards.

Will keep you posted.

----

Rev 1 vs Rev 2. Originally I thought that a Rev 2 board could charge an iPad on the red USB hookup. This is incorrect. That red port allows charging in almost every state (except no power), but that feature still requires a driver that is not available for Mac OS X.

As for iPad charging, it's also a driver issue. When an iPad gets plugged in, it basically asks the port to crank up the amps so it can charge. Without the proper driver, the port is all "Sorry, I can't let you do that Dave." All USB 2.0 ports will trickle charge an iPad as long as it's sleeping. Sorry if it's not entirely related.

nullspot

nullspot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

I'm going to then run a diff of A and C so we'll know exactly what makes a rev 1 different from rev 2 from the board.

Then run a diff of A and B to see what changes were made to make the DSDT work for Mac OS X.

Wonderful! This is exactly what I've been hunting for!

wobbly80

wobbly80

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
have you had any success yet?

econ3000

econ3000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Kakewalk,
Audio with Legacy drivers, and replacing the AppleHDA.kext

Where can i find these legacy drivers? which AppleHDA.kext did you replace with? there are several it seems...

I have everything working except audio using arch=i386 and realtek drivers from website.
I currently have a usb audio solution but i would like to get everything working asap.

I am also running the newest kernal from ##### 2.0. and using the dsdt from soemo (which gets me the best scores in geekbench compared to the other dsdts i have tried). sleep seems to work except when chosen in the finder...

// econ

x58a-ud3r rev2
i7 920
msi n260gtx
12GB ddr3 1600

heythisisdave

heythisisdave

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Where can i find these legacy drivers? which AppleHDA.kext did you replace with? there are several it seems...

I have everything working except audio using arch=i386 and realtek drivers from website.
I currently have a usb audio solution but i would like to get everything working asap.

I am also running the newest kernal from ##### 2.0. and using the dsdt from soemo (which gets me the best scores in geekbench compared to the other dsdts i have tried). sleep seems to work except when chosen in the finder...

// econ

x58a-ud3r rev2
i7 920
msi n260gtx
12GB ddr3 1600

How did you get Sleep working? I installed the 10.6.3 SleepEnabler kext from googlecode and when I selected Finder -> Sleep (I know you said it didn't work for you) it shut down the machine but then something strange happened: it appeared to shut down, restart, have some issues, shut down, restart with a BIOS failure which I could continue and then restart all the way, after that, it appeared that it had waken up from sleep mode. If I use Sleep and just let it time out, does that work?

I also have Audio working but only with the Line Out hole (every other hole is dead) using LegacyHDA and Networking with the Realtek drivers mentioned here. I have a DSDT.aml but I think it's from my Kakewalk install.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X58A-U3DR rev 2.0
CPU: i7 930
EVGA 512 MB n260gtx
6GB DDR3 1600
Kakewalk/SL 10.6.3

jdc

jdc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well my hackintosh is running with audio and everything like i said on my previous post, but sometimes when i try to open a folder it takes for ever to display the images, and it happens a lot that in any program it freezes for about a second or two. Is there something i should check so i can narrow down the problem.
I checked kernel.log and found this, i think it is problem, the hard drive is brand new so i am hoping it is not the problem, just a kext or something

1502:Jun 10 15:24:46 The-Lu-Hackers-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: disk2: I/O error.
1503-Jun 10 15:24:51 The-Lu-Hackers-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, SENSE_KEY = 0x03, ASC = 0x02, ASCQ = 0x00
1504:Jun 10 15:24:51 The-Lu-Hackers-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: disk2: I/O error.
1505-Jun 10 15:25:14 The-Lu-Hackers-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, SENSE_KEY = 0x03, ASC = 0x02, ASCQ = 0x00

howboutjoe

howboutjoe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
So, this DSDT business is hard. :)

Here's the unmodified DSDT extracted via Ubuntu Live CD: Attached File  ga_x58a_ud3r_r2_fa.zip   18.21KB   54 downloads

So far, the only changes I've been able to roll in are Speedstep for an i7-930 and the Advanced DSDT Fixes: Enable Sleep on P55 Motherboards which did not enable sleep, but did enable iPad/iPhone charging on my two USB/eSata ports on the back of the board.

nullspot

nullspot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

So far, the only changes I've been able to roll in are Speedstep for an i7-930 and the Advanced DSDT Fixes: Enable Sleep on P55 Motherboards which did not enable sleep, but did enable iPad/iPhone charging on my two USB/eSata ports on the back of the board.

Can you document those speedstep changes for the 930?

nullspot

nullspot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
So I've finally jumped into the DSDT mess and built a custom DSDT for the rev2.0 x58a-ud3r board and the i7-930 proc. I didn't include any fixes for video (GraphicsEnabler=yes takes care of basic video). Ethernet is included, so remove any ethernet strings (including built-in) from your com.apple.boot.plist.

Attached File  x58_ud3r_rev2_dsdt.zip   6.55KB   1227 downloads

This was all done according to d00d's excellent (if overwhelming) guide, and the performance I'm seeing is better than the soemo DSDT that was posted earlier. Even startup is quite faster. System is also very stable.

** Note: you need to make the following changes to your .plists:

To make the CPU changes work correctly, add the following to com.apple.Boot.plist.

<key>DropSSDT</key>
<string>yes</string>

Identify your machine as MacPro4,1 in smbios.plist.

<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacPro4,1</string>

Modify fakesmc.kext/Contents/Info.plist in two places with MacPro4,1 specific information (1.30f3 and smc-napa changed to 1.39f5 and smc-thurley).
or just grab this fakesmc i've already modded:

Attached File  macpro4_1_fakesmc.kext.zip   32.62KB   799 downloads

heythisisdave

heythisisdave

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

So I've finally jumped into the DSDT mess and built a custom DSDT for the rev2.0 x58a-ud3r board and the i7-930 proc. I didn't include any fixes for audio or video (GraphicsEnabler=yes takes care of basic video, and audio is turning out to be rather tricky - the same AppleHDA.kext fix I posted about earlier isn't working at all with this new DSDT). Ethernet is included, so remove any ethernet strings (including built-in) from your com.apple.boot.plist.

This was all done according to d00d's excellent (if overwhelming) guide, and the performance I'm seeing is better than the soemo DSDT that was posted earlier. Even startup is quite faster. System is also very stable.

To make the CPU changes work correctly, add the following to com.apple.Boot.plist.

<key>DropSSDT</key>
<string>yes</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>

Modify fakesmc.kext/Contents/Info.plist in two places with MacPro4,1 specific information (1.30f3 and smc-napa changed to 1.39f5 and smc-thurley).

We have practically the same machine :) My machine is working with your audio fix and the Realtek drivers but I'm only getting about 4700 in Geekbench. What kind of numbers are you getting? I don't have Sleep working (tried a few things including the new 10.6.3 kext) but otherwise am pretty happy with the machine and the stability.

I think I'm going to hold off on your DSDT until something can be done about the ALC889. Really appreciate the R&D you're doing on this though!

nullspot

nullspot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

We have practically the same machine :) My machine is working with your audio fix and the Realtek drivers but I'm only getting about 4700 in Geekbench. What kind of numbers are you getting? I don't have Sleep working (tried a few things including the new 10.6.3 kext) but otherwise am pretty happy with the machine and the stability

at standard 2.8 clock, 10070. at 3.57ghz overclock, 12930. You're low because of powermanagement/speedstep issues, and my DSDT will fix them. Soemo's DSDT will improve scores too, and his seems to work with the audio fixes (though it was off in other areas).

Sleep isn't working for me either with my new DSDT - it will sleep, and the machine will power back up, but there's no video or ethernet, so it's useless.

nitro805

nitro805

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I used Soemo's DSDT but I can't figure out what method to use to get sound. I tried the AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E and the Legacy889HDA.kext in E/E but I get no sound. I also tried the voodoo from ##### but I can no longer boot when I use that one.

How did you guys successfully get sound using Soemo's DSDT?

nullspot

nullspot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
just updated to 10.6.4 - for some reason, my ethernet stopped working altogether, even though I have ethernet enabled in the DSDT (not in com.apple.boot.plist or with kext).

Couldn't explain it, so I gave up and re-installed the RTGNICv2.0.4.pkg realtek driver (which from what I can see just has the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext in it)... now my ethernet's back...

But what I really don't understand, is there is *no* realtek .kext or AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext in my S/L/E or *anywhere* - so how is this possible?

nullspot

nullspot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
AUDIO SUCCESS!

So thanks to rankrotten I finally got the right HDEF code into the DSDT - I've updated the attachment in post #33 with the new DSDT file. That new DSDT, in combination with tonymac's Legacy889HDA.kext and this new patched AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.4 will give you *fully functional* audio, including encoded digital 5.1!

Attached File  patched_10.6.4_AppleHDA.kext.zip   1.86MB   750 downloads
Attached File  Legacy889HDA.kext.zip   7.72KB   629 downloads

update to 10.6.4, then replace existing AppleHDA with this patched one in S/L/E, put Legacy889HDA in E/E, repair permissions and rebuild kext caches, then reboot and enjoy a movie...

heythisisdave

heythisisdave

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

AUDIO SUCCESS!

So thanks to rankrotten I finally got the right HDEF code into the DSDT - I've updated the attachment in post #33 with the new DSDT file. That new DSDT, in combination with tonymac's Legacy889HDA.kext and this new patched AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.4 will give you *fully functional* audio, including encoded digital 5.1!

Attached File  patched_10.6.4_AppleHDA.kext.zip   1.86MB   750 downloads
Attached File  Legacy889HDA.kext.zip   7.72KB   629 downloads

update to 10.6.4, then replace existing AppleHDA with this patched one in S/L/E, put Legacy889HDA in E/E, repair permissions and rebuild kext caches, then reboot and enjoy a movie...

nullspot - you are awesome. I hope you're not neglecting too many other duties in your life to make this happen for all us rev 2.0'ers :rolleyes: Strangely enough, seeing the e-mail updates from insanelymac that this thread has been updated is the currently most exciting thing I'm expecting in my inbox.

Will try tonight, can't wait to see the better geekbench scores.

jdc

jdc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

So I've finally jumped into the DSDT mess and built a custom DSDT for the rev2.0 x58a-ud3r board and the i7-930 proc. I didn't include any fixes for video (GraphicsEnabler=yes takes care of basic video). Ethernet is included, so remove any ethernet strings (including built-in) from your com.apple.boot.plist.

Attached File  x58_ud3r_rev2_dsdt.zip   6.55KB   1227 downloads

<key>DropSSDT</key>
<string>yes</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>

What changes do I have to do for a i7-920 procesor, will it work the same as yours?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy