• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

Ocha888

Ocha888

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It says its 64 bit on folder name but when you go to pref pane its 32 bit. yea its VoodooPS2 installer with 10.4.0 vanilla kernel. i downloaded iatkos 7 DVD and extracted installers from there.

quaestor

quaestor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:In no particular order:<br />Photography (digital: Nikon D90), Electronic music (making...

It says its 64 bit on folder name but when you go to pref pane its 32 bit. yea its VoodooPS2 installer with 10.4.0 vanilla kernel. i downloaded iatkos 7 DVD and extracted installers from there.

I don't understand what you mean by "with 10.4.0 vanilla kernel". The VoodooPS2 installer includes the kernel?!
I'm a little confused; iAtkos 7 is Leopard (10.5.7). It shouldn't have any 64-bit kexts or pref panes (note to self; I see that there's a very new VoodooPS2 installer at nawcom.com... newer than the kext files there).
I'm still curious as to how you got sound working. It seems as though you ran a VoodooHDA installer, and then copied files over top of that by hand. Is that the case? Also, I take it that the pref pane you mention is the HDA pref pane, not the one for PS2?

Ocha888

Ocha888

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hmm. it was latest iATKOS. its 10.6.3 DVD. I pulled installers from there. Vanilla kernel --> i mean that my a.c.B.p uses kernel that came with mac (located at /OSX_DRIVE/mach_kernel). I use arch=i386 flag for kernel flags but it still buts in 64bit mode (i go to activity screen and it says Intel 64bit)

VoodooPS2 had no prefpane. I am using mac's original built in prefpane and everything works great. clicking/dragging/swiping.

When I installed VoodooHDA i restarted pc. I got kernel panic. So I booted using -x -s and deleted VoodooHDA from the S/L/E folder. At that pint VoodooHDA pref pane (both 32 and 64 bits) are installed. I boot back without panic (kext is gone) and install the kext that you linked to. I change PCIMatch and restart. It starts with everything working. Line in/Mic/Speakers both internal and external work.

quaestor

quaestor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:In no particular order:<br />Photography (digital: Nikon D90), Electronic music (making...

hmm. it was latest iATKOS. its 10.6.3 DVD. I pulled installers from there. Vanilla kernel --> i mean that my a.c.B.p uses kernel that came with mac (located at /OSX_DRIVE/mach_kernel). I use arch=i386 flag for kernel flags but it still buts in 64bit mode (i go to activity screen and it says Intel 64bit)

VoodooPS2 had no prefpane. I am using mac's original built in prefpane and everything works great. clicking/dragging/swiping.

When I installed VoodooHDA i restarted pc. I got kernel panic. So I booted using -x -s and deleted VoodooHDA from the S/L/E folder. At that pint VoodooHDA pref pane (both 32 and 64 bits) are installed. I boot back without panic (kext is gone) and install the kext that you linked to. I change PCIMatch and restart. It starts with everything working. Line in/Mic/Speakers both internal and external work.

Great, thanks, much clearer.
If you're booting with "arch=i386", you are NOT booting the 64-bit kernel. You are booting the 32-bit kernel with 64-bit extensions.
The following is (roughly) what you'll see in system.log when booting the 32-bit kernel (this is actually from Leopard, but SL is very similar):
May 7 09:09:02 localhost kernel[0]: PAE enabled
May 7 09:09:02 localhost kernel[0]: Darwin Kernel Version 9.7.0: Tue Mar 31 22:52:17 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1228.12.14~1/RELEASE_I386

On SL booting the 64-bit kernel, the end of the second line will state "x86_64" or something very similar

Cknoblet

Cknoblet

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
Update on my system:

DUAL BOOT OSX & WIN7

I've finally managed a dual boot (MBR) with OSX as the first partition, and Win7 as the second. I wanted to keep the Chameleon bootloader, so I found a way to make it happen.

Simplified
1. Install OSX, creating BOTH partitions with the disk utils.
2. Boot from Win7 disc and Install Win7. (OSX will no longer start)
3. Boot OSX from boot disk and install Chameleon2 rc4 loader. (Win7 will no longer start)
4. Boot Win7 from install disc and run the "startup repair".
5. Boot directly into Win7.
6. Using "diskpart" in Win7, set your OSX partition to be active (this MUST be done in Windows).

Chameleon will now start and should be able to boot to either OS.

FIXING WIN7 HIBERNATION

Apparently Win7 must have its partition set to Active if you want to use hibernation. I've tested this, and it is true. So using the steps I've listed above, essentially breaks Windows hibernation. Well there is a workaround, but it's not for the weak of heart, and may only work with MBR installs.

You have to hex edit the bootloader to where it doesn't care if the OSX partition is active or not. That way you can set Win7's partition active, fixing Windows hibernation. Here's a link to the posting where I found the fix (WARNING MIGHT BE MBR ONLY):

Hexedit Chameleon to fix Win7 Hibernation

I pulled the free version of Neo that they link to, and had to enable it's trial to be able to edit the harddrive directly. Also note that when you Open your harddrive with that program, there's a check box that makes it read only. You have to uncheck that for the edit to save.

What's kinda neat with this is that when you resume hibernation, you're presented with the Chameleon loader. At which point you can choose OSX or Windows. Choosing Windows resumes from hibernation. This means you don't really have to shut down Windows when you want to boot into OSX, simply hibernate and wake the system, then boot to OSX.

I'm still working on sleep in OSX. I think we might be out of luck here.

quaestor

quaestor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
@nfshp253:
Sorry, man, I have no clue about handwriting input. I strongly suspect that without "native" trackpad support (i.e. Apple Trackpad pref pane is available and usable) the system doesn't think there's a trackpad connected and doesn't offer handwriting input. Just a guess.

@Ocha888:
Is there any way you can upload or attach the installers you used for PS2 and sound? I can't find a 64-bit VoodooHDA prefpane anywhere, and the latest VoodooPS2 installer from nawcom.com does not work for me at all.

@Cknoblet:
Interesting. I may try that out this weekend if I'm feeling particularly brave.

Fradical One

Fradical One

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Do you mean you let the Software Update app do an update? If so, that's a Very Bad Idea for OS version updates (i.e. from 10.6.0 to 10.6.4; letting it update apps like iTunes and such is fine).

Any time Software Update offers an *OS* update, uncheck it. If you want to do that particular update, look at Apple's website for a Combo Update, which you download and install manually. I don't know why the difference, but OS auto-updates are poison for hackintoshes.

Hmm .. I have been looking for information on this .. I installed Hazard 10.6.2 in VirtualBox, and so far it works well. I am glad I snapshotted the install, cause I used Apple Software Update to move up to 10.6.4, and it killed my boot.

So you think the combo install will get around this? I will have to try this. Is there anything else I should look out for?

quaestor

quaestor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Hmm .. I have been looking for information on this .. I installed Hazard 10.6.2 in VirtualBox, and so far it works well. I am glad I snapshotted the install, cause I used Apple Software Update to move up to 10.6.4, and it killed my boot.

So you think the combo install will get around this? I will have to try this. Is there anything else I should look out for?

I've always gotten good results from downloading the Combo Updates and applying them manually. As far as anything else goes, I've never heard of Hazard and I've only ever installed/run OSX bare-metal, so I can't speak to anything involved with running it virtualized.
In any case, this is a little off-topic; I'm sure there are threads out there which deal more specifically with virtualized OSX.

Fradical One

Fradical One

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I've always gotten good results from downloading the Combo Updates and applying them manually. As far as anything else goes, I've never heard of Hazard and I've only ever installed/run OSX bare-metal, so I can't speak to anything involved with running it virtualized.
In any case, this is a little off-topic; I'm sure there are threads out there which deal more specifically with virtualized OSX.

I am not sure what the right forum is for this! Hazard is one of those OSX86 distros. It can be installed directly to metal, or used in VirtualBox.

I did install the combo, and the error I get is the same as when I installed 10.6.4 from Apple Software Update. I get Panic (CPU 0 ) "Version mismatch between Kernel and CPU PM".

Cknoblet

Cknoblet

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
I just got my replacement Broadcom wifi card in. It's a full height B/G card, so I'm giving up Wireless N, but that's no big deal. If I want fast transfers, I'll use a cable. The full height card fit in fine just like you said. Simple to install, electrical tape to hold it in place.

A boot up and a restart and it's ready to go, OSX thinks it's a legit Airport!

I am still wrestling with sound and ps2 issues. I'm using voodooPS2 and voodooHDA. There's a lot of versions of both of these kexts, their pref panels, and even the helper apps. I think we need to find combinations that work well together.

At this point, my sound quality is good, no skipping, no crackle. But my pref panel has a lot of devices listed that probably aren't in use. Plus my microphone isn't working at all.

The ps2 kext and pref panel is working fine, but seems to lack precision when you're trying to click on an X or option box, etc. I tried it on a real Mac and when making fine movements on a trackpad, it should be very precise. Mine is kind of hoppy when you try to put the pointer on a small target. Maybe thats a pref panel option that I need to turn on?

VoodooPS2 has it's own panel, but also lets you use the vanilla trackpad pref panel to set things.

How are things going with the sound and ps2 kexts you're using Quaestor?

quaestor

quaestor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
Sorry for the late reply.

At this point, my sound quality is good, no skipping, no crackle. But my pref panel has a lot of devices listed that probably aren't in use. Plus my microphone isn't working at all.

Good that it's working. I had to mess around a bit with that wacky Voodoo control panel to figure out which slider does what - some of them aren't so obvious; I'll take a look tonight and try to remember what I did to get the mic working.

The ps2 kext and pref panel is working fine, but seems to lack precision when you're trying to click on an X or option box, etc. I tried it on a real Mac and when making fine movements on a trackpad, it should be very precise. Mine is kind of hoppy when you try to put the pointer on a small target. Maybe thats a pref panel option that I need to turn on?

I've ended up using SteerMouse. It doesn't really fix the problem all the way, but it helps. This issue is the main reason I'm using the meklort kext vs Voodoo: the Voodoo kext (when I first did the install) was unusable; really bad tracking, cursor jumping around like a flea... The last time I tried Voodoo (after I read Ocha888's post) it didn't work at all

How are things going with the sound and ps2 kexts you're using Quaestor?

See above for PS2. Everything I'm using is is linked to in the "kext" section of the guide. Sound works great, no complaints, except the minor annoyance that I get a quick pop of feed back when the kext loads during boot. Since the control panel and prefs loader aren't available at that point, I don't know of anything that can be done about it.

The main disclaimer for me is that I'm primarily using this laptop with a USB mouse (so the trackpad flakiness isn't really a show-stopper, although if I'm on the road and don't have the mouse, I do find it annoying) and S/PDIF for sound. I don't need the mic, although I do know that it works.

Cknoblet

Cknoblet

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
Well I'm still at it. I can't seem to get my mic working without it echoing everything it picks up through the speakers. I have now switched back to the meklort and hda drivers you're running to see if I can get things to work as well as possible, but the problems persist.

Also, I've got the the helper applications for ps2 and hda working, but the HDA one leaves a terminal window open upon boot. Do you know of a fix for that? To suppress that window?

Another problem I'm having is that my clock is running too fast. And by clock I mean the system time. It starts out right, but minutes go by in about :45 seconds. I've read of other hackintoshes having this issue, but I haven't found a fix that works.

I gave steermouse a go, but I didn't love it, so I uninstalled that one.

Oh and by the way, the hibernate in windows fix I posted has been working great. No problems on many reboots into and out of each system. I think it's a pretty safe hack that has great benefits.

Thanks for the continued support!

jayhc

jayhc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Noob here...

"•Do the edit to SystemVersion.plist described in this post at netkas' blog. This allows you to install the MBP Update; you won't be able to otherwise."

netkas also says to rewrite SMBIOS.plist located in the /Extra folder, but I don't seem to have an /Extra folder or an smbios.plist. I searched everywhere.

I'm using the empire efi you suggested, and installed 10.6.3 retail. I'm stuck.

Any ideas why I don't have that folder or file? Thanks for any help!

Cknoblet

Cknoblet

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Noob here...

"•Do the edit to SystemVersion.plist described in this post at netkas' blog. This allows you to install the MBP Update; you won't be able to otherwise."

You have to create that /Extra folder manually, and you have to find a copy of smbios with google. There might be a copy of it on the EFI disc, but I don't remember. I just googled and found a default one.

You have to OSX booting from your harddrive before that smbios file will be read though (bootloader install). So if you haven't done it yet, you gotta get Chameleon or Asere working and the system booting without EFI.

When I tried the bootloader install, I kept getting kernal panics. The fix for me was to use the kernal that's on the EFI disk. I mentioned something about it in this thread in an earlier post.

Oh and have a usb keyboard ready, cuz when the bootloader starts working, the EFI kexts won't be loading, and your laptop keyboard WILL stop working.

jayhc

jayhc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

You have to create that /Extra folder manually, and you have to find a copy of smbios with google. There might be a copy of it on the EFI disc, but I don't remember. I just googled and found a default one.

You have to OSX booting from your harddrive before that smbios file will be read though (bootloader install). So if you haven't done it yet, you gotta get Chameleon or Asere working and the system booting without EFI.

When I tried the bootloader install, I kept getting kernal panics. The fix for me was to use the kernal that's on the EFI disk. I mentioned something about it in this thread in an earlier post.

Oh and have a usb keyboard ready, cuz when the bootloader starts working, the EFI kexts won't be loading, and your laptop keyboard WILL stop working.

Ok, I've been trying to get this working without bugging the heck out of you with a bunch of step by step questions, but I guess I'm just a loser when it comes to mac. Thanks for the quick reply by the way.

I installed that machack thing from the EFI disk, which put the extra folder, smbios etc on the os, but it still wouldn't boot. I found the files you referenced and tried the changes, but still wouldn't boot. Just hangs on the white default theme screen.

So, now I've wiped my G60jx and started again using EFI for AMD/i5-m and retail Snow Leopard 10.6.3.

After the install is finished, are these my steps to get it to boot on it's own? Replace mach_kernel in root with mach_kernel from EFI. Then use terminal to sudo Asere as the boot. Then edit SystemVersion & use/edit the smbios from EFI.

Do you happen to have the specs I need to put in the smbios? I'm usually pretty good at this stuff, but I'm becoming more & more convinced that I'm just a loser.

Thanks for helping me with this.

Cknoblet

Cknoblet

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Ok, I've been trying to get this working without bugging the heck out of you with a bunch of step by step questions, but I guess I'm just a loser when it comes to mac. Thanks for the quick reply by the way.

Jayhc, I can help you through it all, but it's probably better done via chat. Check your PM and I'll give you my chat info.

oSxFr33k

oSxFr33k

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:Sound and Graphic Design. Electronics in general.
quaestor,

Thanks for the guide. Just bought the Asus G51Jx from TIgerDirect Now called CompUSA. It has 4GB ram and the I7-720QM. I notice two extra slots and I wonder if that means I can install two more 2GB modules which would be great anyhow I have spend most of Saturday Night and most of the day Sunday trying to figure out why this Asus reboots right after the Chameleon Boot. The Kernel never even starts it boot so I am assuming something is wrong with it?

Using Mozo Chameleon Build 364 and using the C and P state enablers in the com.apple.Boot.plist.

I am actually using Kevin171 dsdt.aml and maybe this might be the problem? The kernel still never boots? It does not even get to the very first line of script we see when the kernel boot. "npvhash"

I never installed the MBP 3.1 update. I just installed 10.6.3 retail. Then from that point on I have had to boot Snow with Empire Boot CD.

I am wondering if your the DSDT is the issue?

Can I install the MBP 3.1 update after a 10.6.4 Combo update?

I have the latest Bios 207. Is this a real BIOS or an EFI bios?

I am guessing I will have to extract my own DSDT using Ubuntu and do the basic fixes DTGP HPET RTC Along with USB/UHCI and Orange Icon fix etc etc. All the fixes we know about.

There is a shutdown fix for gigabyte and Dell XPS M1330/1530 Laptops DSDT hack. WOndering if that will work on your DSDT?

Sorry about the scattered post but really cannot figure out why it just reboots constantly!!

EDITED A FEW HOURS LATER:

I figured out the issue. I had to remove the script referring to enabling C and P states in the com.apple.Boot.plist.

From what I heard there isn't really anything like C States maybe P states on the i7's?

I may have to use Pacifist to extract the kernel and appleIntelcpupm kext unless I need to install other packages besides those two?

Thanks

Now if I could somehow get the APple MBP v1.3 update to install referring to your instructions.

One more thing SHutdown fix for Gigabyte and Dell XPS M1530 with Nvidia cards would this DSDT patch work for us?

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=190780

softlake

softlake

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
My experience "hackintoshing" My Asus G60jx. Unless noted i used the guidelines in this topic.

• I could install Retail 10.6.0 using Empire EFI bootcd.iso to boot. Couldnt do it using 10.6.3 Retail.
  • 10.6.3 Combo Failed always so i did:
  • Tried combo 10.6.2 update and then 10.6.3. It failed (note that i reinstalled from 10.6.0 everytime)
  • Tried combo 10.6.4 update it failed (note that i reinstalled from 10.6.0 everytime)
  • Tried 10.6.3 Using "Pacifist" (google for it) it worked
  • Tried MacBookProUpdate 1.3 Using "Pacifist" it worked
  • Tried 10.6.4 combo update Using "Pacifist" it worked.
[*]Here, i got video working flawlessly
[*]Used VoodooPS2 Package (installed on 32-Bit) It worked
[*]Used AtherosL1c for ethernet It worked
[*]Used VoodooHDA for audio It worked
[*]Changed com.apple.boot.plist to override booting 32bit only... crossed fingers... it worked!
[*]Now i got 64Bit Osx 10.6.4
[/list]Happy Happy. Joy Joy

• It doesnt sleeps/hibernates/nor shutdowns. Not an issue, i dont use those features. If im using laptop, its on. When i leave desk computer must be off. So no pain. Besides, it starts / shuts off so fast, so no need.
  • Pacifist software is so good. So i decided to donate.

scushkadee

scushkadee

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
Just wanted to thank you for making this guide. I know what laptop to buy now.

Thanks.

scushkadee

scushkadee

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
Hey - Does HDMI out work? All resolutions? 1920x1080??

Thanks
Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy