• Please log in to reply
1537 replies to this topic

wastez

wastez

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
I upgraded my cpu to a phenom II x945 with 4x 3.0Ghz and dince this update i was not able to boot with anval.
It stops by initialing the drives.
All other bootloader are working.

Does anybody else have this problem?

josjev

josjev

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi all. I installed 10.6.7 on a Sandy Bridge system (GA-H67N-USB3-B3 + Core i3-2100) using a auto-patched DSDT. It's all Vanilla and the only two Macbook Pro 2011 specific files are the 10.7.3 kernel and and the AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext. All the rest is 10.6.3 retail + regular 10.6.7 combo update.

In the BIOS all CPU powermgt settings are set to enabled, with 30x busratio (lower multi's does not make a difference and default multi 31x gives reboot loop). I did specify a busratio and maxcpuspeed in smbios.plist but this does not seem effective.

The system works great though, including auto-sleep and everything seems to be loading up nicely, with Cstat and Pstat info visible in IOReg (see attachment).

However, Pstates is not working, with "CPU: Attempting to enable IDA: Failed!" showing in bdmesg (attached).

Another important error from the kernel log (attached) is: "kxld[com.apple.kpi.unsupported]: This symbol set has the following unresolved symbols: _lapic start"

I am also puzzled why "Mac Pro" is mentioned in various places despite the Macbook Pro 8,1 sysdef in smbios.plist

Despite spending numerous hours on many powermgt related threads I am without clues as to where to start to get to the root cause of this.

From looking at the attached files, hopefully someone feels challenged to come up with a good hint how to enable p states? this would make the system 100% perfect!! :P

PS I am using ^Andy^ boot file which merges Anval 5.1.4 (shown on boot) with recent code from Kabyl and MBP2011 ATI kexts.

[EDIT:] In the meantime I tried a number of things, which all did not make any difference at all, so I am beginning to wonder if Anval 5.1.4 actually supports my CPU (Core i3-2100) properly. I tried: 1) use regular 5.1.4 (instead of Andy's merged one with Kabyl), 2) change sysdef into Mac Pro 3,1 or iMac 11,1, 3) use various busratios in BIOS between 20 and 30, 4) use 10.7.3 kernel in combination with 10.6.7 for MBP2011 versions of AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowermanagementClient.kext, 5) confirm proper speedstepping of the system in Windows 7.

Attached Files

C.Frio

C.Frio

InsanelyMac Legend

• Pandora Team
  • 1,252 posts

Hi all. I installed 10.6.7 on a Sandy Bridge system (GA-H67N-USB3-B3 + Core i3-2100) using a auto-patched DSDT. It's all Vanilla and the only two Macbook Pro 2011 specific files are the 10.7.3 kernel and and the AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext. All the rest is 10.6.3 retail + regular 10.6.7 combo update.

In the BIOS all CPU powermgt settings are set to enabled, with 30x busratio (lower multi's does not make a difference and default multi 31x gives reboot loop). I did specify a busratio and maxcpuspeed in smbios.plist but this does not seem effective.

The system works great though, including auto-sleep and everything seems to be loading up nicely, with Cstat and Pstat info visible in IOReg (see attachment).

However, Pstates is not working, with "CPU: Attempting to enable IDA: Failed!" showing in bdmesg (attached).

Another important error from the kernel log (attached) is: "kxld[com.apple.kpi.unsupported]: This symbol set has the following unresolved symbols: _lapic start"

I am also puzzled why "Mac Pro" is mentioned in various places despite the Macbook Pro 8,1 sysdef in smbios.plist

Despite spending numerous hours on many powermgt related threads I am without clues as to where to start to get to the root cause of this.

From looking at the attached files, hopefully someone feels challenged to come up with a good hint how to enable p states? this would make the system 100% perfect!! :P

PS I am using ^Andy^ boot file which merges Anval 5.1.4 (shown on boot) with recent code from Kabyl and MBP2011 ATI kexts.

Hi...

sorry this basic question, but, how and where should I use this "Andy" boot file and Anval 5.1.4,

'cause I'm trying to instal Lion on a P67 with sandy bridge..

thank you..

c.frio

LinearBurn

LinearBurn

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Well. I've tried with Netkas Exotic Cards with no success on Full Resolution or QE/CI. I tried today another strategy for Full Resolution. Here the steps:

1.- Download ATY_Init.kext for Snow Leopard. Put in S/L/E.
2.- Get your Leopard ATINDRV and ATIRNDRV kexts and copy to S/L/E.
3.- Disable GraphicsEnabler from /Extras/com.apple.boot.plist
4.- Move or remove ATISupport and ATIFramebuffer kexts from S/L/E.
5.- Repair permissions and regenerate caches.
6.- Restart.

Now i have Full Resolution Changing, but no QE/CI.

ATI Radeon HD 3600:

Modelo de chipset: ATI Radeon HD 3600
Tipo: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Ranura: Slot-1
Anchura de canal PCIe: x16
VRAM (total): 512 MB
Fabricante: ATI (0x1002)
ID del dispositivo: 0x9598
ID de la revisión: 0x0000
Revisión de la ROM: 113-B1480A-236
Versión del driver EFI: 01.00.236
Pantallas:
HP w1907:
Resolución: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz
Profundidad de píxel: Color de 32 bits (ARGB8888)
Pantalla principal: Sí
Duplicado: Desactivado
En línea: Sí
Conector de pantalla:
Estado: No hay ninguna pantalla conectada

Attached are the ioreg dumping and the Kexts used for the Resolution changing.

b04r

why are you using a enabler ATY_Init.kext is not needed you need to edit your ATIRadeonX3000.kext only for your card add 0x10029598 to the section <string> </string> save the info.plist and close it, open your com.apple.Boot.plist it should look simular to the one below the part that is important is in bold below. last thing GET A BIOS DUMP FOR YOU CARD! put it in extras and replace all the junk you deleted or replaced in s/l/e reboot and you will have full working graphics oh and repair permissions before rebooting .. I havent understood the need to hack stuff that dont need to be hacked OSX 10.6.7 has exlent ATI support

your bios file needs to be named 1002_9598.bin for the loader to see it

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com...yList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v -force64 arch=i386</string>
<key>Rename Partition</key>
<string>"System Reserved" Windows</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>UseAtiROM</key>
<string>Yes</string>

</dict>
</plist>

Attached Files

artimess

artimess

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
It seems this boot loader does not support all sandy bridge processors. I have a laptop, from Asus G53SW series with i7-2630QM, 6Gig DDR3 memory. I have installed OSX and updated with the latest combo from apple. The only way I can run it is to use ##### legacy cd.
When I try to run without boot CD, I get recurrent reset.
I have tried to use busratio, cpus, memmax boot loader in all the combination possible with no avail.

So I am beginning to question if this boot loader has support for new intel processors like the one in my laptop.

Any suggestions and help is really appreciated. Is one of you developers could send me a moded version with support for the above processor? I would be willing to test it and report back?

Thanks for help,
Artimess
PS: I use a corrected dsdt thanks to MadLOn

LeXa2

LeXa2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:IT, *nix, SciFi
Andy, valv, any news on the AnVAL? Is the project still being developed or it had been superseded/merged with some other Chameleon-derived product?

bcc9

bcc9

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,281 posts
Now that a lot of useful branch features are in the rc5 trunk, any plans to get the valv branch changes synced up?
I think the sandy bridge changes should at least be merged in. I did sync that portion myself in a private tree and it seems to be working fine. Diffs if you're interested. I'm cross posting from over here http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1684008 as the question came up in that other thread.

JBraddock

JBraddock

Ph.D (Can) in Human Rights

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Now that a lot of useful branch features are in the rc5 trunk, any plans to get the valv branch changes synced up?
I think the sandy bridge changes should at least be merged in. I did sync that portion myself in a private tree and it seems to be working fine. Diffs if you're interested. I'm cross posting from over here http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1684008 as the question came up in that other thread.

@bcc9, if possible, can you please also take a look at EnableC6State key in Valv's branch and commit it, if it doesn't require a lot of work, to the main branch should it be considered useful. I want to try RC5 and waiting this key to make its way to the official branch.
Thank you,

bcc9

bcc9

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,281 posts

@bcc9, if possible, can you please also take a look at EnableC6State key in Valv's branch and commit it, if it doesn't require a lot of work, to the main branch should it be considered useful. I want to try RC5 and waiting this key to make its way to the official branch.
Thank you,

I just posted some working diffs over here:
http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1684161

Unfortunately I haven't looked into what the valv branches changes are about concerning c-states, really someone who is familiar with those changes should handle that.

JBraddock

JBraddock

Ph.D (Can) in Human Rights

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

I just posted some working diffs over here:
http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1684161

Unfortunately I haven't looked into what the valv branches changes are about concerning c-states, really someone who is familiar with those changes should handle that.

Thank you. I am sure it will make it to the main branch eventually.

Darkone84

Darkone84

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Also, why are you using the EFI partition to install the booter? imho, it's a waste of time!! :graduated: but that's just my opinion...

well most people feel the same way like it its a waste of time.. IMHO.. but the truth of the matter is installing to the efi partition prevents you from "Accidentally" deleteing over writing and many other things.. like what if your main install crashed and you need to reinstall.... if you installed it to your EFI partition all you have to do is boot to your retail dvd with your boot cd then re format not Partition your drive and you Still will have your EFI partition intact and in the long run it saves you alot of time and headache and saves you from always having to reinstall chameleon.. Thats the Point of installing it to the EFI partition.. man I can't believe it hasn't really been that long since the efi thing came to fruition and people are already taking it for granted.. . well any way thats my 2 cent about the efi partition.. oh and btw I don't use the EFI my self.. but I did for a long while and I tell you it saved me a lot of headache.. Now I use my own Homemade Chameleon "E-Fix"..lol which is all e-fix is anyway..lol :thumbsup_anim:

3.14r2

3.14r2

The Round One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
I have an interesting issue with boot screen resolution. In version 5.0.3 the Chameleon boot screen had a proper resolution (1280x768). I have "Graphics Mode=1280x768x32" key in com.apple.Boot.plist.

Now, after an update (needed to make some SMBIOS.plist values to load correctly) to latest Chameleon version from trunk RC5rev1052, the boot screen resolution is wrong. I've changed only boot files (no other files were changed). Changing theme's .plist values makes no difference. It seem like "Graphics Mode=1280x768x32" flag is ignored completely.

The question is what has changed between these Chameleon versions to provoke the above problem? If anything could be done with source code to revert the proper boot screen resolution function?

Azimutz

Azimutz

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Interests:At the moment, OSx86.. In general, music, audiophile, computers.. to much to mention...

Hi bcc9; you should post this stuff on a bug tracker issue; here loses visibility :D
I can't test this stuff (for now) and i'm pretty busy with other stuff, or i would take a look at it...

well most people feel the same way like it its a waste of time.. IMHO.. but the truth of the matter is installing to the efi partition prevents you from "Accidentally" deleteing over writing and many other things.. like what if your main install crashed and you need to reinstall.... if you installed it to your EFI partition all you have to do is boot to your retail dvd with your boot cd then re format not Partition your drive and you Still will have your EFI partition intact and in the long run it saves you alot of time and headache and saves you from always having to reinstall chameleon.. Thats the Point of installing it to the EFI partition.. man I can't believe it hasn't really been that long since the efi thing came to fruition and people are already taking it for granted.. . well any way thats my 2 cent about the efi partition.. oh and btw I don't use the EFI my self.. but I did for a long while and I tell you it saved me a lot of headache.. Now I use my own Homemade Chameleon "E-Fix"..lol which is all e-fix is anyway..lol Posted Image

Darkone84, i just like to pick on the EFI partition from time to time :D
Just to make it clearer, when i say "it's a waste of time", i'm comparing to Extra on a "normal" partition.
Anyway, i already found what i wanted to know about the ESP; messed with it for a few days and believe me,
that "excuse" you mention to use the ESP for booter partition, it's worth nothing when you face a screwed up GPT table :P
That lead me to diagnose a Chameleon "fragility", that can leave us without a way of booting the installed systems,
even from an external booter, if the boot management is all done via Chameleon.
So you see, there isn't total safety on ESP install... it's just an ilusion and that's why i like to pick on it :D

I have an interesting issue with boot screen resolution. In version 5.0.3 the Chameleon boot screen had a proper resolution (1280x768). I have "Graphics Mode=1280x768x32" key in com.apple.Boot.plist.

Now, after an update (needed to make some SMBIOS.plist values to load correctly) to latest Chameleon version from trunk RC5rev1052, the boot screen resolution is wrong. I've changed only boot files (no other files were changed). Changing theme's .plist values makes no difference. It seem like "Graphics Mode=1280x768x32" flag is ignored completely.

Will take a look into this... already did, but need a bit more time.
Meanwhile, you should start getting your Chameleon binaries from here or compile them your self,
if that falls into your comfort zone; i can't "process" that "5.0.3" version :P

3.14r2

3.14r2

The Round One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Will take a look into this... already did, but need a bit more time.
Meanwhile, you should start getting your Chameleon binaries from here or compile them your self,
if that falls into your comfort zone; i can't "process" that "5.0.3" version :help:

Thanks!

As for compiling, already did that. Hence the problem. The version I'm using now is
Chameleon 2.0-RC5 (svn-r1055)
and the above issue still present. I'll try a newer version though.

EDIT:
Tested with
Chameleon 2.0-RC5 (svn-r1076)
same result - wrong resolution.

bcc9

bcc9

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,281 posts

Hi bcc9; you should post this stuff on a bug tracker issue; here loses visibility ;)
I can't test this stuff (for now) and i'm pretty busy with other stuff, or i would take a look at it...

I already re-sync'd those diffs to the head and kabyl commited the diffs to the mainline a while back. (Was followed up in the main chameleon rc5 thread here).
Others are making good use of the MSR flex ratio fix for gigabyte h67 motherboards too.
chameleon gets discussed all over - I guess forge.voodooprojects.org is your preferred place?
My regular voodooprojects.org login doesn't work there so I have to make yet another one I guess?

Azimutz

Azimutz

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Interests:At the moment, OSx86.. In general, music, audiophile, computers.. to much to mention...

I already re-sync'd those diffs to the head and kabyl commited the diffs to the mainline a while back. (Was followed up in the main chameleon rc5 thread here).
Others are making good use of the MSR flex ratio fix for gigabyte h67 motherboards too.

:) sorry, i totally missed the date of the post: I remember that, yes :P

chameleon gets discussed all over - I guess forge.voodooprojects.org is your preferred place?
My regular voodooprojects.org login doesn't work there so I have to make yet another one I guess?

It's not really a question of preference; the more centralized things are, the better for everybody.
I get lost easily in confusion and start missing posts dates :)
Yeah, you need a diff login/account for the forum; it's not "synced" with the forge one.

p.s.: Ok, i totally failed on this pair of posts! On the answer above, i missed you were talking about the forge;
in that case, i take Meklort's words below, as mine! All issues should be posted there.

Edited by Azimutz, 27 June 2011 - 04:26 AM.

meklort

meklort

InsanelyMac Geek

• Developers
  • 139 posts

I guess forge.voodooprojects.org is your preferred place?

Forge is regularly checked by the developers for issues and changes. InsanelyMac is not. Anything not at forge has a much higher chance of not being seen / being ignored than it does if it's in forge. That is especially true for bugs, those should all be reported at forge if you want the issue fixed.

evilouse

evilouse

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Depend on the explaination on the page one, can I install Snow leopard for VGA GeForce FX 5500 256MB?? :worried_anim:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy