Full System Backup

4 posts in this topic

Is there a solution that can backup both Windows in NTFS format and OSX in HFS+ Journaled format? Norton ghost changed the Active partition on my setup and made it inactive and was not able to boot.. had to go back in and change Darwin boot loader back active.. Need to create a full archive...

Not sure if ghost can do it but i guess your looking for some sort of binary drive image solution since your unlikely to get a program that can image both NTFS and HFS filesystems.

Acronis True Image works fine. I made backups often from my OSX Partition. And had often recovered it without any probs. Acronis dont cares about the filesystem it makes a fully backup of all you want. You can also backup the MBR only, if you want. Good for trying out some boot manager.

The best on True Image is that you can mak a bootable CD or FDDs. And it also recognises RAID Systems and Sata HDDs. All Drivers are included. totaly professional. So you can restore data with your bootble cd without using a installed OS.

Only thing is that you can only backup a complete HSF+ partition or HDD. backing up files and folders are only possible with Windows and Dos filesystems like NTFS or FAT.

• 6 months later...

I've used Acronis True Image to backup my OS X and have been successful in reinstalling the OS on the same partition.

Although I am planning to do a backup of all three OSs that I have: XP, Vista, and OS X. I intend to do this as I want a larger partition for my OS X. Has anyone done this before? And if so, will I the boot manager also be preserved in the backup?

Hoping someone has had a similar experience.