[GUIDE] Snow Leopard on Asus G51J/Jx

Obliviux

108 posts in this topic

Got another FIX...

it's more workaround a problem.... VoodooHDA sleep problem.

Till now, every one had problem after wakeup with VoodooHDA - it just didn't work anymore...

Until I saw this post.

In short:

1. download SleepWatcher and install it using the README.

2. Copy from /etc/ two files: "rc.sleep" and rc.wakeup" to a safe place ( in anything goes wrong )

If you don't have those file - just create a blank new one ( best through terminal using the mkfile command )

3. Enter the following text inside the corresponding files:

RC.SLEEP

# Vars
TRIES_UNLOAD=3

# Script

echo "Thireus - rc.sleep - VoodooHDA" >> /var/log/system.log

i=0
while [[ $i -lt $TRIES_UNLOAD ]] && ! /sbin/kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext; do
echo "Thireus - VoodooHDA - kextunload "$i >> /var/log/system.log
sleep 1
((i++))
done
# End of script

RC.WAKEUP

# Vars
TRIES_LOAD=20

# Script

echo "Thireus - rc.wakeup - VoodooHDA" >> /var/log/system.log

i=0
while [[ $i -lt $TRIES_LOAD ]] && ! /sbin/kextload /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext; do
echo "Thireus - VoodooHDA - kextload "$i >> /var/log/system.log
sleep $i
((i++))
done

# End of script

4. save both file and make sure again they're under /etc and have the same attributes like "rc.local" etc.

5. SLEEP and see the magic happens !

@night_mare007,

Great work I'll give this a try this week!!

Have you installed Lion yet? I am on Lion now and everything seems to work fine. The only minor issue is the volume of the audio is very low even with the audio volume all the way up. It could be an issue with the voodoo preference pane?

I don't have LION....

buy - WOW... So Lion does work ok on our G51jx ?

Do you needed any special kext or other hack ? ( I know about an auto-installation project for lion osx86 that suppose to ease the hole operation... )

what about dsdt ?

@night_mare007,

Great work I'll give this a try this week!!

Have you installed Lion yet? I am on Lion now and everything seems to work fine. The only minor issue is the volume of the audio is very low even with the audio volume all the way up. It could be an issue with the voodoo preference pane?

P.S

Look at my new BURG bootloader theme I made:

post-369261-1312397163_thumb.jpg

You can get it HERE along with my guide...

Just make sure you change PCI0 section ADR to UID, Zero in your DSDT.

Check for the fix or ask MaLd0n for help on this. . Also make sure you are using either the smbios.plist for MacPro 8,2 or 8,3 also on MaLd0n Auto patcher thread and the latest FakeSMC package from OSXproject.org.

Other than that I have everything working except I think my audio has a low volume which I have not had time to investigate.

Can't answer or help more than what I have told you!!

Thats it.

• 4 months later...

I have a g51ja I think, I did install Lion but it has the intel 1000 bgn card so I dont think I will get wireless working. Btw I have terrible heat issues with mine, It always ran hot but once it hit about 15months old it will do thermal shutdowns, at that with just internet surfing, I dont play games on it anymore. I have repasted and put some holes in the backpanel, I was thinking about getting a newer model heatpipe, I notice the newer ones have 2 pipes on the gpu section, however I cant find a place that sells this. this is another reason I am going to bite the bullet and purchase a mbp hopefully without a nvidia card.

I have a broadcom 4311 now, with the io80211family.kext from my reading its suppose to work automagically, however it doesn't on mine. do I have to turn it on with the fn+f2? i haven't applied any of the fn key kexts yet.

• 2 months later...

G51JX's Atheros 9285 Wifi card owner - WPA2 & wifi "n" - IS AVAILABLE & WORKING !!!!!

Put the kext in S/L/E.

P.S - the original poster wrote that it's "only for 10.6.7"....

I can confirm that it's working under 10.6.7, and am able connected to a WPA2 (AES) with "n" config.

it's also solve the DHCP problems I had when tried to connect to WEP G networks.

:-)

how did you got this to work? i placed the contents of /contents/plugin/ to S/L/E and nothing happened. any ideas?

• 4 months later...