Problem with Graphics (Geforce 7950 GT 512mb)

jakedilla

9 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I just installed iPC recently on my Asus P5Kpl-CM, and everything is working perfectly EXCEPT for the graphics; I am having problems such as....

-Full screen video is very choppy, though when I zoom in it looks fine

-Screen saver is also choppy

-Tried installing Logic 9 right now and it tells me I have ZERO mb of VRAM even though system profiler says 256mb (I was willing to put up with the other things but not this lol)

During installation I chose the nvInject for 7 series cards and nothing else. I was going to try installing other drivers but I'm not sure if more than one driver would make my system crash and whatnot so I figured I would talk to the experts first.

Is there a driver better suited for my card? If not then what card should I pick up at similar price range?

Thanks in advance

UPDATE: I realized that my card is 512 and not 256 so I did a fresh install with the nvinject 0.2.1 for 512mb but just before it boots into os x it still says vesa 3.0 256 mb. Still getting 0 Vram

I've been googling furiously and the only thing I've found is this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=112577

but the problem is the program doesn't install, says there's 0kb to install. Every other EFI program I've tried doesn't have the string for 7950gt. I even tried manually adding a string that I found from some poster here by googling and that didn't work.

I know SOMEONE must have got this video card to work so now its just a matter of finding them... where art thou?

Okay I found a way to do it but it requires you to flash the video card bios. I can't even get my usb drive to boot (I think I need a floppy?). But that program EFI installer says that it works with my card, too bad the link is down and no one seems to be able to upload the program.

hi there 

same card here 

os-x ideneb only boot in safe mode to let my 7950GT work on normal boot got a black screen

and just the basics @ 60 hz are working

can not adjust anything, card can run refresh @ 75 hz

should i choos darwin 512mb or injet 512 mb to let my card run 

i'm not gonna flash my card to risky for me 

need help on this one please

• 1 month later...

Hey, don't know if anyone is still following this thread?

I also have this card, and apparently the guy who started this thread

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...amp;mode=linear

has got it to work.

The thread was a little vague so i messaged galilenar:

Hey,

I understand from a forum post that you managed to get this card working fully on 10.6

I have a xfx geforce 7950gt

could you tell me please what method you used to get your card working

thanks!

alex

Hi! Yeah it works on 10.6. But only in "arch=i386 -x32" mode.

It works with Natit64-32 kext for me. You can get it here

http://narod.ru/disk/18584383000/Natit.kext.zip.html

I have patched ROM of my videocard by this instruction

http://redirectingat.com/?id=292X457&u...520ROM.doc.html

So there is the kext he used and english instructions on how to reflash your cards ROM.

I also got him to send me some more details, just in case!

I have:

Asus P5B - Deluxe Wi-Fi App

1 Gb RAM

Gygabyte NVidia Geforce 7950 GT 512 Mb

500 Gb Hard Disk (to Hackintosh I use 250 Mb MBR-partition)

I use boot132 method with CD-Disc. I have Extra folder on this CD-Disc (There are some other kexts for PS/2 keyboard, OpenHaltReastart, fakesmc and other). For video - I use Natit on hard disc. For audio - VoodooHDA on Hard Disc and for network - Yukon2 on Hard disc.

I had patched my video because it didn't work properly on 10.5.8 Leopard (I had seen only 128 Mb) - so Quartc Extreme didnt work. After I have patched it - it works fine on 10.5.8. So after I have reinstalled my OS from 10.5.8 to 10.6 Snow Leopard I have already patched videocard. But I dont know: maybe this video works fine on 10.6 without patching.

So I have worked patched video card on 10.6, so I didn't re-patch it to original bios. Maybe it works without patching on Snow Leopard 10.6.

On CD Disc i Have Hameleon bootloader.

I have heard that there are some problems with hameleon on hard disc - so I dont wanna to use it on my hard disc. Because I dont have some time to install hameleon on my hard disc and to solve some problems. Maybe I will do it on future.

I install 10.6 SL retail with HAMELEON CD Disc. I had modify OSinstall.pkg to install it on MBR partition.

I have not tried re flashing the ROM yet, as i was a little dubious, but i think i'm going to give it a go now, as so far i am having no luck with this card.

So i re-flashed the ROM on my graphics card (a surprisingly painless process), however still no QE! :blowup:.

OS X now thinks my graphics card is 7900 GTX instead of a 7950 GT, i had to change the device ids accordingly in NVinject, back to full res but still without acceleration,

any ideas ???