Is there a way to make verbose boot the default?

Meatwagon

17 posts in this topic

Hey Meatwagon,

locate /Library/ Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist or if u use Chameleon take                               /Extras/com.apple.Boot.plist, There must be a XML Tag called "Kernel  Flags"

should look like:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
 <string>-v</string>

good luck 

no Problem

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-x32</string>

g00d luck

I believe you will find that has changed with the latest version to arch=i386 and the OP may want to add this snippet to turn off the Chameleon GUI/background and get a pure text boot.

<key>GUI</key>
	 <string>n</string>

Or for all three of his options in this example file in the correct location in the /Extra directory where Chameleon will find it.

MacUser2525s-Mac-Pro:~ MacUser2525$ cat /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist 
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
 <key>Kernel</key>
 <string>mach_kernel</string>
 <key>Kernel Flags</key>
 <string>arch=i386 -v</string>
	 <key>Timeout</key>
	 <string>5</string>
	 <key>GUI</key>
	 <string>n</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I have included the Timeout option of five seconds if not wanted then don't put it in and the machine will boot directly into OS X with no countdown delay.

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v arch=x86_64</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>3</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>Default</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>  
<string>Yes</string>
<key>RestartFix</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

thats what mine says right now. do you think x32 would be more stable?

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
 <plist version="1.0">
 <dict>
	 <key>Kernel</key>
	 <key>Kernel Flags</key>
	 <string>-v arch=x86_64</string>
	 <key>Timeout</key>
	 <string>3</string>
	 <key>Theme</key>
	 <string>Default</string>
	 <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	 <string>Yes</string>
	 <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>  
	 <string>Yes</string>
	 <key>RestartFix</key>
	 <string>Yes</string>
 </dict>
 </plist>

thats what mine says right now. do you think x32 would be more stable?

Can't see why it is not stable as it is from the looks of the hardware in your signature I don't see a problem there unless of course you are using the Jmicron IDE controller. If this is the case then get SATA devices and disable it in the BIOS it is a piece of junk or the driver for it is at the very least when you have over the 32bit limit (~3.3gb) of memory. You would think booting 64bit would not cause this but you can do something like maxmem=3072 as a boot option in the Kernel Flags section to limit the memory used to 3gb and see if this helps. Perhaps you should tells us more about the symptoms of the instability and the entire contents of the case hardware wise so we can get a better idea of what is going on.

Edit: One thing to check for in the BIOS if you have not already done it is this these Gigabyte boards seem to default to 1.8v on the RAM no matter what the SPD chip on them tells the BIOS so set the voltage to manual and the voltage the manufacturer specifies for them. Reboot and go into the PC Health section to check that the voltage has indeed increased to where it should be, BTW since I mentioned it BIOS settings used for everything would be nice to know as well.

Can't see why it is not stable as it is from the looks of the hardware in your signature I don't see a problem there unless of course you are using the Jmicron IDE controller. If this is the case then get SATA devices and disable it in the BIOS it is a piece of junk or the driver for it is at the very least when you have over the 32bit limit (~3.3gb) of memory. You would think booting 64bit would not cause this but you can do something like maxmem=3072 as a boot option in the Kernel Flags section to limit the memory used to 3gb and see if this helps. Perhaps you should tells us more about the symptoms of the instability and the entire contents of the case hardware wise so we can get a better idea of what is going on.

Edit: One thing to check for in the BIOS if you have not already done it is this these Gigabyte boards seem to default to 1.8v on the RAM no matter what the SPD chip on them tells the BIOS so set the voltage to manual and the voltage the manufacturer specifies for them. Reboot and go into the PC Health section to check that the voltage has indeed increased to where it should be, BTW since I mentioned it BIOS settings used for everything would be nice to know as well.

I had an IDE drive for my timemachine, but it wouldnt work properly, so ive taken it out, I remember seing something in the bios about JDmicron, but now i cant find out where to disable it. ive been getting KP randomly, it seems to happen with flash, and also when the cpu is doing some work, (about 40% of resources accodring to menu meters.) I did memtest on the machine (boot iso) and it all cleared fine. Some say it could be caused by my usb inputs, mainly have microsoft mouse, keyboard webcam and a usb 32 in 1 mounted on the case. here is a link to my bios pages.. I also did manually change the voltage of the ram,

Bios and Kernal panic capture

I had an IDE drive for my timemachine, but it wouldnt work properly, so ive taken it out, I remember seing something in the bios about JDmicron, but now i cant find out where to disable it. ive been getting KP randomly, it seems to happen with flash, and also when the cpu is doing some work, (about 40% of resources accodring to menu meters.) I did memtest on the machine (boot iso) and it all cleared fine. Some say it could be caused by my usb inputs, mainly have microsoft mouse, keyboard webcam and a usb 32 in 1 mounted on the case. here is a link to my bios pages.. I also did manually change the voltage of the ram,

Bios and Kernal panic capture

To disable you need the IDE controller option set to off/disabled while your at it if not using the serial/parallel ports you may as well disable them too. Good that it has passed the memtest but have you run the mprime on the machine it is the OS X version of Prime95 to stress test the CPU? Not sure about the USB possibilities as I run so manu of those on my main install I find it hard to believe you could be having problems with so few. Ithink you should test the CPU while I try to figure out why this damn forum software does not seem to allow me to edit typos see the cursor or basically do anything useful with the new Firefox 3.6 srrms to be only this forum so far anyways... damn there is another one with editing not allowed/possible GRRRR To use the mprime download from the Gimps site extract the archive you get then using the Termianl app change to the directory containing it then the command mprime -m to get the menu choose stress test answering the questions, when it is running if you want to quit the test use the CTRL + C keys at the same time to kill it if you get no panics and want to stop it.

To disable you need the IDE controller option set to off/disabled while your at it if not using the serial/parallel ports you may as well disable them too. Good that it has passed the memtest but have you run the mprime on the machine it is the OS X version of Prime95 to stress test the CPU? Not sure about the USB possibilities as I run so manu of those on my main install I find it hard to believe you could be having problems with so few. Ithink you should test the CPU while I try to figure out why this damn forum software does not seem to allow me to edit typos see the cursor or basically do anything useful with the new Firefox 3.6 srrms to be only this forum so far anyways... damn there is another one with editing not allowed/possible GRRRR To use the mprime download from the Gimps site extract the archive you get then using the Termianl app change to the directory containing it then the command mprime -m to get the menu choose stress test answering the questions, when it is running if you want to quit the test use the CTRL + C keys at the same time to kill it if you get no panics and want to stop it.

i ran the test for about 25 mins, no issues, also ran the default one as well for around 15 mins, no KP, Im baffled, strange, i think i may even do a complete fresh instal, and reinstall all my apps. who knows, its not the end of the world but it is annoying.

i ran the test for about 25 mins, no issues, also ran the default one as well for around 15 mins, no KP, Im baffled, strange, i think i may even do a complete fresh instal, and reinstall all my apps. who knows, its not the end of the world but it is annoying.

Yeah it does seem strange indeed so a fresh install may help/be the option to choose.

Yeah it does seem strange indeed so a fresh install may help/be the option to choose.

it seems that it runs fine after a fresh install or new user then yesterday, i got panic after panic after panic, i did another fresh install, took out one ram dim, so far so good.... could be falulty ram afterwards..

anyway.. have you ever encountered sleep issues out of the blue? Mine had no problem sleeping last week. now when i sleep, it goes to sleep fine, but when i wake it, it just reboots... any ideas?

it seems that it runs fine after a fresh install or new user then yesterday, i got panic after panic after panic, i did another fresh install, took out one ram dim, so far so good.... could be falulty ram afterwards..

Damn that sucks but sticks can go bad.

anyway.. have you ever encountered sleep issues out of the blue? Mine had no problem sleeping last week. now when i sleep, it goes to sleep fine, but when i wake it, it just reboots... any ideas?

Could be the "Start up automatically after power failure" got unchecked somehow it will do that on my test machine (the only one I sleep) if it is not set.

Damn that sucks but sticks can go bad.

Could be the "Start up automatically after power failure" got unchecked somehow it will do that on my test machine (the only one I sleep) if it is not set.

problem solved!!! thanks, heres on last thing... sometimes when i leave my computer unatteneded for a few hours ill come in and my screens are off the but the computer is still on.. I have put to sleep set to never. and the screens will not come back on.. i have to reset...

problem solved!!! thanks, heres on last thing... sometimes when i leave my computer unatteneded for a few hours ill come in and my screens are off the but the computer is still on.. I have put to sleep set to never. and the screens will not come back on.. i have to reset...

I have seen that one before too but only on Leopard about midway through around .5 or .6 is when Apple screwed that up. To get around the hardware reset if you have another machine that you can install a ssh client on attached to the network then you can ssh into your install and as root issue a reboot command which will shut it down properly then restart.

Sometimes you can see which device is preventing sleep by examining the system logs.

Usual suspects are Video Card and USB. Sometimes you can fix it by DSDT editing or changing video injection method.

Run Console.app to look at logs.

thanks beer! macuser was right, i have to enable reboot after powerfailure,

My other issue is that my screens will shut off if i leave my computer on for a while, and the compuer will still be running, but nothing will turn the screens back on.. kinda annoying.. not the end of the world....