PowerHack G-i5 with Video

akira9000

15 posts in this topic

Now with video -

Finished the build part two days ago, installed retail OS X 10.6.2 yesterday and done some testing today.

Sometimes I thought this thing was never gonna end, but hey, thats what you get when you decide to do a case mod properly and not just buy off the shelf pc cases.

Hardware -

Dual 2Ghz PPC Powermac - DOA so gutted for the pristine case. Got lucky with this one.

Retail OSX Snow Leo

Intel Core i5 750

Gigabyte P55M-UD2 ( p55 chipset - no headaches )

Corsair HX series modular PSU

4 x 2Gb Crucial i5 1333mhz DDR3

2 x Samsung 1Tb F3 Hdds

1 x Pioneer SATA DVD rewriter ( had it in the spares draw but up to date spec )

Palit 9500 GT Silent VGA/DVI/HDMI

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 rev2 PWM fan/heatsink

1 x LIAN LI aluminium HDD drive cage

1 x Coolermaster Wavemaster motherboard tray direct from Coolermaster NL ( many thanks to their superb customer service, they went digging through the warehouse to find me one and DHL'd next day. And a shout to Aquamac for pointing me in the right direction )

The hard part -

post-376701-1263747870_thumb.jpg

post-376701-1263747935_thumb.jpg

post-376701-1263748005_thumb.jpg

post-376701-1263748063_thumb.jpg

post-376701-1263748147_thumb.jpg

The easy part -

post-376701-1263748349_thumb.jpg

post-376701-1263748656_thumb.jpg

Everything working except sleep. Cinebench score of 12631. Running CS4 master collection. Cuts through video like a knife through butter.

post-376701-1263748225_thumb.jpg

post-376701-1263748421_thumb.jpg

post-376701-1263748786_thumb.png

Hardware -

Dual 2Ghz PPC Powermac - DOA so gutted for the pristine case. Got lucky with this one.

Retail OSX Snow Leo

Intel Core i5 750

Gigabyte P55M-UD2 ( p55 chipset - no headaches )

Corsair HX series modular PSU

2 x 2Gb Corsair Dominator DDR3

2 x Samsung 1Tb F3 Hdds

1 x Pioneer SATA DVD rewriter ( had it in the spares draw but up to date spec )

Palit 9500 GT Silent VGA/DVI/HDMI

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 rev2 PWM fan/heatsink

1 x LIAN LI aluminium HDD drive cage

1 x Coolermaster Wavemaster motherboard tray direct from Coolermaster NL ( many thanks to their superb customer service, they went digging through the warehouse to find me one and DHL'd next day. And a shout to Aquamac for pointing me in the right direction )

Everything working except sleep. Cinebench score of 12631. Running CS4 master collection. Cuts through video like a knife through butter.

Very nice and clean work, but the scores ... hmmmm ... ugly ??? I got 12915 with my Q9550. I thought about upgrading to an i series, but i think, i´m well done right now :rolleyes:

Cheers

Goron

At the moment I'm limping along with 1.8v DDR3 as its all I could get in time for the build.

This is throttling itself back to 1033mhz at 1.5v.

Hopefully this week I will be getting some i5 rated DDR 3 to run at 1333Mhz as the system should be and I'll re-run cinebench.

reverse cooling?

I'd probably go in the front out the back to prevent dust from behind the rig getting sucked right in.

But it looks very clean. Kind of loses the stock look with the drives were they are, but it's not terrible, to me it would just be hard to go in and change drives or something.

very very recessed mobo tray, almost looks like the rear fan is outside the case when you look at the shot of your internals.

• 2 weeks later...

xcross92 -

Lian Li HDD cage was just from ebay, cost about £12 I think. Not the cheapest way to do it but a well engineered product, light, smooth edges and includes a great 1500rpm 120mm cooling fan all built in.

Eric M -

Again, just found a standard PC broadcom wifi pci card on ebay. Plug and play, OS X picks it up with no hassle and no extra kexts. Have been using the same wifi card in all my hackintoshes since my first OS X Tiger build a couple of years ago. Have not needed any additional kexts as the system identifies it as as Apple Airport.

• 4 months later...

Is this thread dead?

I was getting ready to mod my G5 case & was woundering if anyone new about the

"Coolermaster Wave" and Lian Li also made a cases With MoBo trays

Then I just found this thread :thumbsup_anim:

I too am going that route..........way easier and looks Clean (Stock)

Great job and awsome Video

Have you upgraded to an i7 or anything new?

Regards Highwaytrucker

www.highwaytrucker.com

• 6 months later...