NVidia GT 210 - kext issue

chewymix

26 posts in this topic

Hi

I built my first hack and it works good apart from video - i can use the machine in the correct resolution of 1440x900 however refresh is a bit off and acceleration does not happen. I have the following card...

"GeForce 210 512MB GDDR2 HDMI/VGA/DVI PCI-Express - Retail with PhysX, CUDA & 3D Stereo"

SL does not know what this card is and just says its a generic device - can anyone let me know what kext to use here. I tried the NVEnabler but once installed on reboot i just get blank screen.

thanks

That card is pretty much the 8400GS 512mb card, guys please correct me if I'm wrong. Please try EFI studio and select the strings for the the 8400GS 512. Insert these strings in the E/E com.apple.Boot.plist file. device-properties then the hex string that you copied to the clip-board. If this seems vague, I'm making a few assumptions here, that you have searched the forums (googled) and you are familiar with above application(s). ;)

snakeman

OK so i have found out that string and using x86tools added it to the pboot list but i get the black screen on boot again now when i should get the desktop. Do you know how i can go back to the previous driver? i though booting with -x would do it but i still just get the blank screen?

thanks

Try booting with -s, then mount -uw /

then edit the file with nano/pico cd /Extra/

pico com.apple.Boot.plist

Cheers

snakeman

yeah i did but there does not seem to be any change in that file, so its super odd that i am getting this display issue.

Do you know of a _good_ gfx card that works out of the box with SL ? I am wanting as vanilla as possible so what works well any clue?

thanks

thanks - i got it working by using

http://rapidshare.de/files/47461448/Enable..._cards.pkg.html

but it reports kinds strangely - NVRAM is correct but not card name

can you post what yours looks like in system profiler? Do you know what Enabler_for_Nvidia_and_multiple_ATI_cards.pkg actually installs in case i want to start over?

i just ordered a 9600GT also so i might try that out to see if its any better

thanks

care to post the EFI string as this is how i'd like to get it working rather than a third party kext if possible

thanks

It's at my parents' house, so I won't have access to it until later this week. Basically I just used osx86tools and did a custom geforce, with NVIDIA Geforce 210 as the name, 512MB, and then I changed the NVCAP to the value I got from NVCAP maker when I fed it the rom from gigabyte's Geforce 210 (only 210 bios I could find, but the gigabyte card has the ports in the same place as the evga I got). Also don't forget to rename the bios file to whatever.rom otherwise nvcap maker won't open it.

Hey guys,

I've followed all of these instructions, but although my res is fine and stuff, it is insanely laggy unless its in safe mode, where its fine. I have: Installed the ATI Nvidia Enabler, Natit & used EFI STudio. What am I doing wrong?

• 1 month later...

I didn't use any of those enablers. Mine is all vanilla except for the EFI string for the NVCAP, which wasn't necessary for QE/CI anyway.

Hey guys,

I've followed all of these instructions, but although my res is fine and stuff, it is insanely laggy unless its in safe mode, where its fine. I have: Installed the ATI Nvidia Enabler, Natit & used EFI STudio. What am I doing wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

can you post what yours looks like in system profiler? Do you know what Enabler_for_Nvidia_and_multiple_ATI_cards.pkg actually installs in case i want to start over?

thanks

I used the same injector before and it worked for me. Only now I need it again, but the link is broken!

Anyone have that injector from Netkas? Upload it somewhere please?

cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

thanks

rapidshare like is broken

can you mail it to me at sandeepshrestha@msn.com

• 1 month later...

I had trouble with the GeForce 210GT :) on my EP45-UD3P Gigabyte board ;) but all is working beautifully now. Network, graphics sound all works great. I solved it by pasting the identifier for another, similar card as mentioned earlier in this post (thanks for that).

Open the com.apple.Boot.plist file with bbedit, navigate the cursor to the end of the line ...Timeout</key>

and paste the following:

<key>@0,compatible</key>

<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>

<key>@0,device_type</key>

<string>display</string>

<key>@0,name</key>

<string>NVDA,Display-A</string>

<key>@1,compatible</key>

<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>

<key>@1,device_type</key>

<string>display</string>

<key>@1,name</key>

<string>NVDA,Display-B</string>

<key>NVCAP</key>

<data>

BAAAAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=

</data>

<key>NVPM</key>

<data>

AQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==

</data>

<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>

<string>0x20000000</string>

<key>device_type</key>

<string>NVDA,Parent</string>

<key>model</key>

<string>nVidia GeForce 8400 GS</string>

<key>name</key>

<string>display</string>

<key>rom-revision</key>

<string>nVidia GeForce 8400 GS OpenGL Engine [EFI]</string>

Save and you should be good to go. Shows as 8400GS in System Profiler, but who really gives a hoot when it works just fine?

post-679700-1287346201_thumb.png

Voila!

Hope it works for everyone.

MC&P

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I came across a solution for the GT210, but I ended up getting a different card (8400GS) because it was just a bit too much of a hassle.

I've read about Windows users having the same issue with this card, but here's what my experience revealed:

When you plug a VGA monitor in as well as a DVI/HDMI monitor/tv, the VGA becomes the first screen and there's nothing you can do about it. When both screens are turned on, the computer's boot screen is shown on the VGA, but then after OS X boots, the main display moved over to the DVI output. Then, the VGA screen became useless!

In any case, yes this card can work perfectly well (in 10.6.5 Snow Leopard actually), but it's just a bit weird.

I used it to watch movies and it was fantastic - it's just a little inconvenient to have two screens with one being useless, so I bought a $30 8400GS and it just worked OOB.

Here is the EFI string for the Gainward 512MB model that I generated and that worked with me using the process above.

Do the usual thing in the com.apple.Boot.plist file with

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>device-properties</key>
<string>PASTE ATTACHED CODE HERE</string>

Good luck, or ... buy a new card :blink:

GT210.txt