Dell 1545 Snow Leopard Retail/boot132 Install

doriean

426 posts in this topic

Ok, thank you!!

- C2D p8600

- 4go ddr2 ram

- ati MR HD 4330 256

- hard drive toshiba MK3255GSX ATA 320go

Hey There, After Reading About Your Problems And Viewing Your Hardware Specs Here's What I Can Tell You.

I See You Have Windows Installed On One Partition And MacOSX On Another, First Make Sure The Partition You Are Installing MacOSX Is Set To Primary And Is Formated To Fat32 As MacOSX Does Not LIke Being Set To a Secondary Partition.

And Try The Install Again.

Next If This Didnt Work I Would Reccomend Doing A Clean Install Of MacOSX And Seeing If That Works For You,

And If It Did, Then Learning How To Dual Boot MacOSX and Win7

As You Are New To This, I Would Always Do A Clean Install As This Will Tell You Many Things

So I take it I MIGHT be out of luck? :(

Hey There Remember Patience Is A Virtue And No Your Not Out Of Luck

The First Thing I Would Do

I would Reinstall everything except this time skip over the part where you install the Extensions folder and do everything else

then restart your computer and find out what is not working then from there we will install what you need

just post back your results and ill help you take care of the rest

No Your Not Out Of Luck

Sometimes This Happens I Would Just Reinstall Everything Just This Time Skip Over The Extensions Folder And Then Post Back What Doesnt Work AND we WILL Take It From There

I got Snow Leopard installed no issues using my retail DVD, when I installed all of the kexts in the step before the boot loader I got that nasty "you need to restart your mac" message and after that OSX would not boot again, I am now in the process of reinstalling it but wondering what I did wrong.. :(

EDIT: My specs don't match yours wonder if that could be the reason..?

Inspiron 1545, Intel Core 2 Duo T6500, 2.1GHz, 800Mhz, 2M L2 Cache

3GB, DDR2, 800MHz 2 Dimm

15.6 High Definition+ (900p) Bright LED Display with TrueLife

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD

250G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive

Edit: 2 Got everything installed and the kexts are done minus the enablesleep I suspect that was the issue before, so far only issue I have is the touchpad is too SENSITIVE and the prefvodoo crashes if I try to use it to change anything..

I got the same problems! Did you managed to make things work with 1366 resolution? The kexts for resolution doesn't dork for me. I've tryed reinstalling those kext's 15 times and still nothing. help is needed here

I got the same problems! Did you managed to make things work with 1366 resolution? The kexts for resolution doesn't dork for me. I've tryed reinstalling those kext's 15 times and still nothing. help is needed here

Do Everything over just this time dont use any kexts from the extensions folder, it seams that maybe sleepenabler might be the problem hope this helps

I've been trying to install snow leopard with your method and it's been successful. I've had some problems, though. First of all, i didn't knew how to install the kexts. Finally i did it, but i'm worried that after installing them, since i've already did before, i'll have a kernel panic. I've not installed the sleep kext. I'll post what happened. I sincerely hope this works out :)

An update I got everything working on my 1545 with the specs I posted earlier except for the 1366 res or w.e it was, I did get 1280 x 800 working editing the com.boot plist and trying "Graphics Mode"=1280x1024x32" and 1280 x 800 was working overall I wasn't too happy with it and ended up going back to Linux Mint and my Dual of 7. I give in and am going to be buying a macbook soon so I can have the best of both worlds. When I didn't install the sleep kext everything was fine btw for anyone wondering.

Good luck to everyone else and thanks for the info and support :)

I've been trying to install snow leopard with your method and it's been successful. I've had some problems, though. First of all, i didn't knew how to install the kexts. Finally i did it, but i'm worried that after installing them, since i've already did before, i'll have a kernel panic. I've not installed the sleep kext. I'll post what happened. I sincerely hope this works out :)

Im Glad To See I Could Help And Please Post Back Your Results.

Great Job

An update I got everything working on my 1545 with the specs I posted earlier except for the 1366 res or w.e it was, I did get 1280 x 800 working editing the com.boot plist and trying "Graphics Mode"=1280x1024x32" and 1280 x 800 was working overall I wasn't too happy with it and ended up going back to Linux Mint and my Dual of 7. I give in and am going to be buying a macbook soon so I can have the best of both worlds. When I didn't install the sleep kext everything was fine btw for anyone wondering.

Good luck to everyone else and thanks for the info and support :D

Thanks For Posting Back Your Results And Good Luck With Everything

will the included boot 132 cd help boot up SL in a Dell Studio XPS w/Core i7 (1645)?

I know the specs are very different, but approach would you recommend for my laptop to install SL?

You Can Find Many Great Tutorials Here For That But My Personal Opinion Use This Boot CD and Install Using The Retail Disk Then Do A Search For The Kexts That Match Your Hardware Ie Audio Wireless And Sound Hope That Helps.

Well. I installed all the kexts, including sleep. Everything works fine now, but i can't seem to get the native resolution....

This Is What Worked For Me, After The First Time i Installed The Kext And Placed The Dsdt File In Root And Restarted My computer And It Didnt Work ,

I Reinstalled The Kexts Again, Then I Dragged And Dropped The Dsdt File Again in root Replacing The One I Copied Earlier Then I restarted My Computer And There It Was. Hope This Helps

This Is What Worked For Me, After The First Time i Installed The Kext And Placed The Dsdt File In Root And Restarted My computer And It Didnt Work ,

I Reinstalled The Kexts Again, Then I Dragged And Dropped The Dsdt File Again in root Replacing The One I Copied Earlier Then I restarted My Computer And There It Was. Hope This Helps

Well, still no luck with that. I wonder what is it that i do wrong :) Does it has to do that i've installed the update combo??

Well, still no luck with that. I wonder what is it that i do wrong :) Does it has to do that i've installed the update combo??

The Update Does Erase Most Kexts So If You Do Update You Probaly Have To Reinstall Everything

Hope This Helps

I have now the native resolution. Thanks a lot. I reinstalled the os. But, i haven't installed the combo yet. Thanks for the advice, i'll post what happens after the update. Also, i copied the mac.boot.plst from another post, and have it working. Now i don't know if it was because of that that my resolution get native. it looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=x86 GraphicsEnabler=No</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Also, i have a question. Is there anyway to allow what in windows would be 3d acceleration? just wondering. After all, i am VERY new here on mac

I've done the combo update. Have to reinstall the wifi and video kexts. Everything is working now. I assume it was due to the com.apple.plst thing i did. Thanks a lot for the guide :(

Congratulations On A Great Job Done. Im Glad That Everythings Up And Running, Also I Would Love

A Copy Of That com.apple.plst You Can Email It To Me Here At doriean@yahoo.com And Ill Try It Out

And If It Works Ill Post It Here. Thanks

And As Far As 3D Acceleration On A Mac, Im Not Sure, But Im Gonna Look It Up.

Also, i copied the mac.boot.plst from another post, and have it working. Now i don't know if it was because of that that my resolution get native. it looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=x86 GraphicsEnabler=No</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Where is mac.boot.plist located? I can only fond com.apple.Boot.plist ! Is one and the same file? thanks

I've been doing some research into the graphic acceleration. Now i know it's called Quartz. I think it's used in apps like imovie, google earth and the dvd player. But i've found that it's actually not compatible with the intel gmax3100 that the inspiron comes with. I wonder if this will be resolved... Also, i've found that the touchpad works halfway. It's too sensitive and the touch click doesn't works. Apart from those problems, i'd say that it runs really really good. Much better than windows.

I've been doing some research into the graphic acceleration. Now i know it's called Quartz. I think it's used in apps like imovie, google earth and the dvd player. But i've found that it's actually not compatible with the intel gmax3100 that the inspiron comes with. I wonder if this will be resolved... Also, i've found that the touchpad works halfway. It's too sensitive and the touch click doesn't works. Apart from those problems, i'd say that it runs really really good. Much better than windows.

Thanks For All The Info, Im Glad To Hear Everything is Working Great. If You Could Please Send Me A Copy Of The .plist That Would Be Awesome.

( HAPPY NEW YEARS TO EVERYONE )...........

First Off, Ive already talked with Charlesterror about the com.apple.boot.plist and when he sends it to me ill post it with a tut After i verify that it works with my computer , second dont upload stuff that can only be downloaded ten times from a free account , and third dont use other ppls threads to post download links and to give advice, get your own thread.

so thanks for everything But......

Sorry for disturbing, I'm just trying to help! (I've deleted my post)

happy new year

Hey, i got the resolution working. But sometimes when i start the computer i get the display with lines, is there a kext that will fix this. Most times i have to restart computer to get in without the lines showing up.

And still no fix for the master sound volume?

Guess Not.... It would be awesome to get the touchpad to work better and the Quartz Extreme support. If that solved, I bet it would be practically the same as an original mac. (Just guessing) :)

I Have Been Doing Some More Research On The Quartz Extreme And Your Right, Our, Or At Least My Hardware Does Not Support It. As Far As The Touchpad Im Gonna Work On That Tommorow And Ill Post Back My Results.

Thanks Again To Everybody Who Has And Still Is Helping With This Project, Your Comments And Suggestions Are Always Welcome.

Thanks again, im doing research and trying things out with sound. But with the resolution, did anyone notice that after the 1366x768 resolution worked that some of the backgrounds(defaults) looked odd, colors, like they were not blended correctly?? Or is this just me, and something maybe did go wrong.

But i am successfully dual booting also.

Guide worked great.

Just update if anyone finds fix for master volume control, good working trackpad, sleep, and Quartz.