Come all, tell all, Vista and the Mac

Bartboy919

13 posts in this topic

Because there is no place in the Wiki that talks about Vista installation on a mac this will be the place to post Methods for installing Windows Vista on an Intel mac. If you make a tutorial please include a way to get most (if not all) drivers working on a mac, IE. Sound, Eject, wireless and so forth. If there is indeed an addition of a vista section in the wiki I must request that this thread be closed down.

there arent any instructions because its really quite simple.

all you need to do is delete the efi partition when you install.

then, using a dumped imac drivers cd point the device manager to each device.

thats really about it, wireless works and everything (except isight)

That sums it up quite well, but what about those who are not as technologically advanced? I think we would get a reduction in threads asking how to do this and that in Vista if we made a single thread that goes through it all.

I posted a detailed list. I don't remember the title of the thread. But I hosted it here as well:

http://wordpress.dimf.ca

The only part missing is the bluetooth, I did get t work but only half the time. So Not really a solved problem yet.

Don't hesitate if you need any help.

Best Regards

Kada

You don't need to delete the EFI partition at all, just set it to disabled with fdisk. You can then just re-enable it as an EFi partition again when required without having to re-create it.

How do you do this exactly? I would highly apprecitate instructions on how you did this - I don't know how to type in the commands and when to disable or enable a partition. Thanks!

PS. Yes, I am a total noobie sometimes, but I think that's the point of this thread, right?

Ok, here goes... May be easier to go with the majority of removing the EFI partition if you are unsure

Open up the terminal, type

sudo -e /dev/rdisk0

<enter pw>

print

<this gives you a list of the partitions>

setpid 1

<type 0 to disable>

quit

exit

Thats it, the efi partition is now disabled. Vista installed with no errors from here with me.

Two questions...

1. After you disable the efi, how do you re enable it?

2. Once you've enabled it again, can you unpartition the drive to just one partition without having to wipe the whole hd clean again? (meaning can I keep same mac partition, but add the memory back to it)

It may be because I did a straight upgrade to Vista, but I've not had any of these driver problems. Nope, i've got my own! I keep getting unknown devices come up! I think one of them is Bluetooth.

edit: one usb, one "Performance Counters" (???), and one unknown. Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

ok, is there a way to install vista without xp intalled first? because well, my xp disc is a service pack 1, and then i have the service pack 2 disc as just that, an updater. so If someone has a way to install without xp first for dual booting, that would be much abliged

Since you dont need to activate windows to install vista i suggest asking a friend if they have an xp disk. None of my friend have one so I may just get XP off of demonoid. I dont belive it is illigal if i dont even boot into XP. :)

RichBUK are you talking about this within XP or OSX? and if OSX how do you open up the terminal? It is a rather noob question but I have just ordered my macbook and expect to get it on the 25th, so yeah.

EDIT: I got it never mind.