Acer Aspire Revo Hackintosh?

85 posts in this topic

Detailed what I got working and how on my blog here: http://www.neonkoala.co.uk/component/conte...-x-snow-leopard

I have a Revo 3610 with the Atom 330 so I've got some details on how to fix hyperthreading among other things in your DSDT. I plan to update it should I find more information about the Wireless and HDMI audio.

how do i use the dsdt you've linked to on your site? with, i placed the dsdt.aml file from the zip file in my /Extra directory, then pointed chameleon to it, using the 'Lizard' app. When I enable hyperthreading in the bios tho, i still get a kp. Im sure ive done something wrong, any tips?

Edit: Without hyperthreading, my system boots flawlessly. I'm on 10.6.2 with the chocolate kernel.

I've got sound working via an m-audio micro usb soundcard, and wifi working (i took the mini pci wifi card out of my appletv and presto - it works without a hitch!). Hyperthreading is the last step, will it improve performance a little?

Sorry to bump this thread so much, but i have had success! using cuparMTB's guide, i managed to get SL installed only after flashing my A4 firmware to the "linux" variant, A4L.

How did you find the A4L BIOS?

When I try to get it from Acer's site, I get a filename that says 1600, even though the download is listed under 3610.

Is it still possible to boot Win7 with the A4L BIOS?

How did you find the A4L BIOS?

When I try to get it from Acer's site, I get a filename that says 1600, even though the download is listed under 3610.

Is it still possible to boot Win7 with the A4L BIOS?

dont remember the file name, i just know i used whatever one they had listed under the 3610. i was really looking for the A2 version of the bios, but couldnt find it. tried A4L as a last resort and surprise! my vanilla disk booted up on my revo for the first time. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone tried an install with myHack 1.0? I've got :

hyperthreading on

QE working

Gigabit ethernet working (only with XD bit OFF)

and 1920x1080 via HDMI on my R1600

but i'm using the crackly voodoohda

I've disabled USBLegacy by changing the boot.plist (thank you splonk for that tip)

However, sometimes when i boot (doest matter if its -v, -f, both, none, or -x) i get stuck with the bluescreen and no cursor, but i can still VNC into the revo.

I've read that this maybe the cause the login app crashing (although i've turned on autologin)

anyone experience this with this or other methods? any tips about how to fix it?

Has anyone tried an install with myHack 1.0? I've got :

hyperthreading on

QE working

Gigabit ethernet working (only with XD bit OFF)

and 1920x1080 via HDMI on my R1600

but i'm using the crackly voodoohda

I've disabled USBLegacy by changing the boot.plist (thank you splonk for that tip)

However, sometimes when i boot (doest matter if its -v, -f, both, none, or -x) i get stuck with the bluescreen and no cursor, but i can still VNC into the revo.

I've read that this maybe the cause the login app crashing (although i've turned on autologin)

anyone experience this with this or other methods? any tips about how to fix it?

Hmm... never heard of myHack 1.0 - enlighten me please ? I have my Acer Revo 1600 running S10 patched retail SL DVD, the only things I cant seem to get working are:

- NIC - had to leave it disabled in BIOS or else no boot to desktop

- QE is not working, cannot change the resolution either - any idea what kext/fix I have to apply ?

Thanks.

Is it possible to Hackintosh the Acer Aspire Revo??

Using the S10 Enabler - on my Acer Aspire Revo 1600, so far got:

-USB working

-Sound working but crackly

-Ethernet - not working

-DW 1390 Wifi -not working

-Accelerated graphics w/all modes - working

Could someone please offer a suggestion on what I could do to get some sort of networking going ?

Forgive me if this is a repost of what someone else did, but here's how I got my Revo going:

Boot with Empire EFI 1.0.85R2 Legacy (Atom version) in Safe Mode

Install from retail DVD

Boot with Empire EFI 1.0.5 R2 (Atom version) in SAFE MODE

Run MyHack 1.0 with graphics enabler (all other selections at default)

The only thing not working is the sound and for that I just plugged in a USB sound card. I don't have wireless in it and the wired Ethernet works fine.

Hmm... never heard of myHack 1.0 - enlighten me please ? I have my Acer Revo 1600 running S10 patched retail SL DVD, the only things I cant seem to get working are:

- NIC - had to leave it disabled in BIOS or else no boot to desktop

- QE is not working, cannot change the resolution either - any idea what kext/fix I have to apply ?

Thanks.

Boy am I glad to be back here! Gave up on the R1600 but then found a tutorial to install SL on a rebranded European version of the Revo (the Packard Bell iMax):

http://www.newtale.com/pp/article509.html

This site has a link to some very useful kexts (including WORKING AUDIO with no crackle or fuzz)

Here is my setup:

R1600 with default BIOS settings (AHCI, USB Legacy support, XD Bit, HT, all ON)

1GB ram, no WiFi card, running with a 1080p monitor via HDMI

SL 10.6.0 on an eSATA disk formatted GPT

-Copied SL install disc to 8gb USB, patched with myHack 1.0.1

-Reinstalled myHack 1.0.1, copied audio kexts, etc. to /E/E, repaired permissions with kextutility

-edited the boot.plist in /E/E with TextWrangler to turn off USBLegacy (thanks splonk!)

everything seems to work, haven't tried updating though or dualbooting win7

the website mentioned above used the Empire EFI 1085 which includes an older myHack. its "quick and easy method" (using a retail copy of the SL install disc) did not have OpenGL working, but the other method it suggested used a patched version of SL to install on MBR disks had OpenGL working. not sure if the newer myHack solves the OpenGL problem.

hibernation/deep sleep is also fixed in this tutorial (if thats a feature that people are missing)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I saw many people report that their sound not working on R1600 or 3610. I have a R1600 and my sound works perfectly. So, don't give up yet.

What I did is:

1. Still rename HDAC to HDEF in DSDT, add Method (_DSM ...), but

2. "PinConfigurations" set to empty like:

"PinConfigurations",

Buffer (0x0) {}

3. Remove VoodooHDA, even latest version will not work with ALC662.

4. Backup your oringial AppleHDA.kext from /S/L/E (I believe you already did)

5. Download Attached Patched AppleHDA.kext (I forget where I found it, some with HDA Patch manual or something like that).

6. Rebuild kext cache and reboot or reboot with -f -v.

Some interesting comments:

1. The actual PinConfigurations on R1600 ALC662 is different from patch AppleHDA.kext, but it still works.

2. Because of different PinConfigurations been used, System Profile may give you more connectors (Digital in, Digital out and so on), but that's OK.

3. There has only one analog output on R1600, and it's "Internal Speaker" or "Speaker", not "HeadPhone", so select "Internal Speaker" (should be first one) instead of "Headphone", you will hear sound from there.

4. HDMI is another sound card to system, if you dump codec from Linux, you will found two (codec0 and codec3), 0 is for ALC662, 3 is for HDMI, but I don't know where to add it and how to patch path map (Too complicated to me).

As most of Revo user, I use USBLegacyOff=yes (with patched Chameleon), GraphicsEnabler=yes (so no EFI string needed), EthernetBuiltIn=yes (Don't know if this help on anything, tried without it, nothing changed). But one thing a little different to me is:

When I first install OSX on R1600, I was using a Dell 2007 4:3 monitor, both VBIOS=yes and VBIOS=no works fine. So I set VBIOS=yes in com.apple.Boot.plist.

When I done with installation, I moved to a Dell 2007WFP 16:10 monitor, screen keep flashing, I can use share screen connect to it, and it display fine, just monitor keep flashing. I tried to change resolution and so on, no help at all. I can get in with "GraphicsEnabler=no, Graphics Mode=1680x1050x32", but I lost QE/CI. Finally, I found I cannot use VBIOS=yes, after I change VBIOS=no, it works.

I also tried PSS on CPU fix in DSDT, but doesn't work, if I remove NullCPUManagement.kext, I got KP. SleepEnabler make sleep/wake work fine. HTT is still on, I can see two core in Activity Monitor (R1600 come with N230). Any of you want all cores, try to remove CPU alias from DSDT.

The only issue I have is: after wake up, attach new USB device cannot auto detected. I think I still need to play with DSDT for a while.

[Edit]

BTW, I'm running 10.6.3 with all latest update in 64bit mode. 2G RAM 512M VRAM, all default BIOS setting.

AppleHDA_1.8.4fc3for_ALC662.zip

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ok, this thread seems to be a little quiet but seems appropriate to post this because i can't find anything about it anywhere else. vda video acceleration does work on the revos. it requires upgrading to 10.6.4 though. got it working this morning.

Hi El Massman

I read your post on the plex forums too, great job getting it all running. I got as far as running a 3610 revo with headphone audio but gave up and went to Linux and xbmc because I wanted full surround sound. My last Linux update killed the nvidia driver. So I'm back to looking at the hackintosh version.

Looking forward to finding out how you got hdmi audio. I've seen the new Mac mini is nvidia based, has audio out over hdmi and has a specific 10.6.4 update package so I'm thinking that's the way forward.

Going to start working on it again in the next few days after backing up.

I'm running 10.6.4 on Acer Revo R1600, it looks like VDA still not working. Not sure if it's because ION Lite instead of ION. How did you test VDA? XBMC for Mac? or Flash?

ok, this thread seems to be a little quiet but seems appropriate to post this because i can't find anything about it anywhere else. vda video acceleration does work on the revos. it requires upgrading to 10.6.4 though. got it working this morning.

I have installed without Rebel EFI, but there are still plenty of hurdles to overcome. USB is now working after initially refusing to play ball.

Currently looking at solving the crackly sound I get with VoodooHDA and hopefully through HDMI as I currently only get the Analog input and output and presumably the SP/DIF (two digital ports) output ports recognised at present.

hi splonk.

Dunno if you can help me... I tried EVERYTHING... really everything but, I cannot get iDeneb, iAtkos or simply Snow Leopard to install on my R3610. I checked the BIOS settings, used the myhack to boot up... it boots up but I get stuck on "still waiting for root device".

I tried booting using rd=disk2... no joy.

Tried booting with arch=i386... also no joy.

Checked back the BIOS and all settings are like everyone else's.

Is there any way I could find a ghost image (torrent) of a hackintosh installation on a r3610?

I know, lazy and easy that would be for me...

but I am getting really fed up... nothing seems to work... grrrr...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Hi El Massman

I read your post on the plex forums too, great job getting it all running. I got as far as running a 3610 revo with headphone audio but gave up and went to Linux and xbmc because I wanted full surround sound. My last Linux update killed the nvidia driver. So I'm back to looking at the hackintosh version.

Looking forward to finding out how you got hdmi audio. I've seen the new Mac mini is nvidia based, has audio out over hdmi and has a specific 10.6.4 update package so I'm thinking that's the way forward.

Going to start working on it again in the next few days after backing up.

Audio over HDMI is the one thing I haven't got running unfortunately. Patching AppleHDA is a little out of my league but hopefully someone else can step up and sort that. That said, the headphone socket optical sockets are working just fine. Hopefully that'll be enough to tide you over until someone cracks the whole HDMI audio thing.

I'm running 10.6.4 on Acer Revo R1600, it looks like VDA still not working. Not sure if it's because ION Lite instead of ION. How did you test VDA? XBMC for Mac? or Flash?

Hmm... It might be. I used Apple trailers to see how smooth things were and Plex to get a definitive answer. If you enable debugging in Plex and try to start an h264 encoded video the log will show if it's using VDA or not.

Can try latest XBMC for Mac to see if VDA is supported? I'm thinking to get a 3610 for hackingtosh.

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/osx/

Hmm... It might be. I used Apple trailers to see how smooth things were and Plex to get a definitive answer. If you enable debugging in Plex and try to start an h264 encoded video the log will show if it's using VDA or not.

Just tried one 1080p Apple Movie Trailer, no shutter, perfect. But no XBMC nor Flash support that. :)

Just double checked. XBMC can use VDA. Not flash. Even on R1600.

This is cool

Just tried one 1080p Apple Movie Trailer, no shutter, perfect. But no XBMC nor Flash support that. :(

Hi Noodle09 :

Followed your instructions, could not get it to work. Could you share your DSDT file? I'm using 10.6.3 kernel.

K.

Hi All,

I saw many people report that their sound not working on R1600 or 3610. I have a R1600 and my sound works perfectly. So, don't give up yet.

What I did is:

1. Still rename HDAC to HDEF in DSDT, add Method (_DSM ...), but

2. "PinConfigurations" set to empty like:

"PinConfigurations",

Buffer (0x0) {}

3. Remove VoodooHDA, even latest version will not work with ALC662.

4. Backup your oringial AppleHDA.kext from /S/L/E (I believe you already did)

5. Download Attached Patched AppleHDA.kext (I forget where I found it, some with HDA Patch manual or something like that).

6. Rebuild kext cache and reboot or reboot with -f -v.

Hi K.

I already upgrade to 10.6.4. Somehow in 10.6.4 I had to set PinConfig value for HDEF in DSDT. but after that, it still work as before.

I don't have access to that machine yet. Will upload everything once I back to home.

BTW, are you using R1600 or R3610?

Noodle

Hi Noodle09 :

Followed your instructions, could not get it to work. Could you share your DSDT file? I'm using 10.6.3 kernel.

K.

Noodle :

I'm using R3610. I've also just upgraded to a patched 10.6.4 kernel.

Keeping my eyes peeled!

k.

Hi K.

I already upgrade to 10.6.4. Somehow in 10.6.4 I had to set PinConfig value for HDEF in DSDT. but after that, it still work as before.

I don't have access to that machine yet. Will upload everything once I back to home.

BTW, are you using R1600 or R3610?

Noodle

Ok, so my DSDT may different from yours, but you can use it as reference.

Attached include all files I used except AppleHDA. include boot (Patched Chameleon 2.0 for USBLegacyOff=yes support) DSDT, smbios.plist, com.apple.Boot.plist, kexts in /E/E. I use EFI partition and connect to a 1680x1050 monitor (HDMI). For Patched AppleHDA, you need to remove (move) old AppleHDA from /S/L/E and replaced with the one from: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140941 first post, download file name: AppleHDA_1.8.7f1_ALC662_LayoutID_662.zip and put it into /S/L/E

BTW, let me know how good R3610 handle regular flash content, R1600 cannot handle them very well, maybe because of weak CPU, maybe because of USB wifi adapter (use many CPU resource).

Thanks

Noodle

Noodle :

I'm using R3610. I've also just upgraded to a patched 10.6.4 kernel.

Keeping my eyes peeled!

k.

R1600.zip

Hi,

I've got an R3610 and interested in running SL on it. Got it running on all my other computers but this one seems trickier!

I've not got access to a USB DVD drive (Argh! Can't find it!) and so have to do it all with USB Drives. I've got the retail SL disk, I've restored it to my 8GB SD card which is in a USB reader. Installed MyHack on it and it boots fine. But then gets stuck on 'Still waiting for root device'.

Any help? I've looked around and not many people seem to have done an install without a DVD drive and those that have haven't documented how they made it work!

Would really appreciate some help, I can provide more info if needed?!

Thanks!

P.S. @ El Massman - Been following your posts on the Plex forum for a while and great job with the R3610! Can't believe you've got so much to work in such little time! Good stuff and thanks for documenting it all as well! It'll be very helpful to me when I get the SL install disk usb to get past the 'Still waiting for root device' error!

:(

• 3 weeks later...
Can someone posted the fixed DSDT for 3610 and matching kexts then please??

Give the ones attached on this post a go. You should end up with everything working besides audio over HDMI.

Hi,

I've got an R3610 and interested in running SL on it. Got it running on all my other computers but this one seems trickier!

I've not got access to a USB DVD drive (Argh! Can't find it!) and so have to do it all with USB Drives. I've got the retail SL disk, I've restored it to my 8GB SD card which is in a USB reader. Installed MyHack on it and it boots fine. But then gets stuck on 'Still waiting for root device'.

Any help? I've looked around and not many people seem to have done an install without a DVD drive and those that have haven't documented how they made it work!

Would really appreciate some help, I can provide more info if needed?!

Thanks!

P.S. @ El Massman - Been following your posts on the Plex forum for a while and great job with the R3610! Can't believe you've got so much to work in such little time! Good stuff and thanks for documenting it all as well! It'll be very helpful to me when I get the SL install disk usb to get past the 'Still waiting for root device' error!

:)

I don't really know if this'll work but if you swap the chameleon boot file with the one I posted on the Plex forums and use LegacyUSB=Off you may be able to get it to boot. I guess your other option would be to install from another machine by taking the hard drive out or something similar. Kind of a hassle but definitely worth it I think.

PS: Just fixed the issue with blue screen on booting with HDMI. :D