OSX on ASUS UL30A

boorok

78 posts in this topic

Same issue, I disabled hibernate mode.

Michel.

Were you able to run the wireless unit AR9285 ? I didn't find a kext for it !

Michel.

Hmm..yeah disabling hibernate mode would work, but having sleep is kind of important to me :rolleyes:

In terms of the wireless unit, I couldn't get it to work. There seems to be no way of getting it now, but that wifi card is also notorious for being a not-so-great wifi card. I'm planning on getting a Dell 1510 half-height pcie card and installing it internally in my UL30; I'll post a guide here when I get it and how things went. Here is everything that works:

- Sound + Headphone output (no internal input/mic though...)

- Native Resolution using the 4500MHD Intel card (no qe/ci..also compatible mode causes my boot to hang during the white screen + apple logo loading screen)

- Ethernet

- Wifi using an external USB card (golden n wireless penny stick..~$10 from meritline w/coupon)

- Trackpad/Keyboard w/2 finger scroll (only vertical...I know someone mentioned using VoodooPS2, but I used the ApplePS2 kexts and they seemed to work just fine..there's also a System Preferences Utility you can use to modifyt he trackpad, but I haven't tested it)

- Battery display

- Webcam (although the webcam is upside down; you can use iGlasses to fix it software wise)

- SD Card Reader

Things I haven't tested:

- VGA

- HDMI

I'd say it's 80% there; the only big things to get is Sleep, g210m support, and WiFi (although I'm not too hopeful for the WiFi honestly...). For g210m support, someone here has got it working; I haven't had time to test out their NVCap/Strings yet, but I will eventually try them and post back the results.

I also wanted to say thank you again to Michel, you've helped a tremendous amount and your efforts are greatly appreciated :(

Hmm..yeah disabling hibernate mode would work, but having sleep is kind of important to me ^_^

In terms of the wireless unit, I couldn't get it to work. There seems to be no way of getting it now, but that wifi card is also notorious for being a not-so-great wifi card. I'm planning on getting a Dell 1510 half-height pcie card and installing it internally in my UL30; I'll post a guide here when I get it and how things went.

I don't intend to open my UL80VT ( except if it is very simple and I didn't find a tutorial.) so I bought a Netgear WG111v3 USB stick. The native driver for Leopard can be downloaded from Netgear and the modified extension for Snow from the Internet.

I intend to wait for a cracked ectension for the AR9285.

Regards.

Michel.

Has anyone really been able to get the native GMA4500 kext working in Leopard (10.5.8) on their ASUS UL30VT ? I'm having the craziest time trying to get it to work. Installing both kexts in the original "GMA 4500 Solved Native Resolution" thread never seems to work on my UL30VT . It did work on an earlier UL30A build.

I think it's the conflicting dual Intel 4500/nvidia 2100 video chips. I run in "Enhanced" hard drive bios mode to ensure the Intel 4500 chip is dominant when I boot into OSX, but still the GMA 4500 kexts produce this ugly, fuzzy brown/grey screen. I can't get away from it. And I'd prefer not to run in "Compatible" hard drive bios mode cuz of the performance hit (even though it forces nvidia chip to run in osx).

I know GMA 4500/x4500 QE/CI remains a near-impossible wish, but still, has anyone been able to run the native 1366x768 on their UL30VT , using some X4500 kext or another correctly? If so, which kext(s) did you use and where can I get them? I understand the same applies to UL50VT or UL80VT owners.

Michel, have you been able to run native resolution on your UL80VT?

Thanks so much everyone, this is driving me nuts!

Has anyone really been able to get the native GMA4500 kext working in Leopard (10.5.8) on their ASUS UL30VT ? I'm having the craziest time trying to get it to work. Installing both kexts in the original "GMA 4500 Solved Native Resolution" thread never seems to work on my UL30VT . It did work on an earlier UL30A build.

I think it's the conflicting dual Intel 4500/nvidia 2100 video chips. I run in "Enhanced" hard drive bios mode to ensure the Intel 4500 chip is dominant when I boot into OSX, but still the GMA 4500 kexts produce this ugly, fuzzy brown/grey screen. I can't get away from it. And I'd prefer not to run in "Compatible" hard drive bios mode cuz of the performance hit (even though it forces nvidia chip to run in osx).

I know GMA 4500/x4500 QE/CI remains a near-impossible wish, but still, has anyone been able to run the native 1366x768 on their UL30VT , using some X4500 kext or another correctly? If so, which kext(s) did you use and where can I get them? I understand the same applies to UL50VT or UL80VT owners.

Michel, have you been able to run native resolution on your UL80VT?

Thanks so much everyone, this is driving me nuts!

Yes, I have been able to run native resolution on my UL30VT-A1. Use the kext attached and install it with Kext Helper, restart, and presto! No QE/CI though :unsure:

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext.zip

And I'd prefer not to run in "Compatible" hard drive bios mode cuz of the performance hit (even though it forces nvidia chip to run in osx).

What's so bad with the Compatible mode? Is there anything other than a performance hit for the hard drive? It probably doesn't help the battery life but it should not be a problem with the size of the battery on it. Getting fully functional graphics is much more important to me than any performance hit, and the Intel GPU will never give us that.

Yes, I have been able to run native resolution on my UL30VT-A1. Use the kext attached and install it with Kext Helper, restart, and presto! No QE/CI though :wacko:

Hi, thanks for the help but for some reason I still got that horrid grey/brownish screen on my UL30VT-A1. Dunno why it worked for you but didn't for me. Really strange.

In any case, I finally got my native resolution working with a modified Chameleon "boot" file from Deviato; by specifying "Graphics Mode", I got it running. Although which kext it's using (if any) is a mystery to me. ;)

Yes, I have been able to run native resolution on my UL30VT-A1. Use the kext attached and install it with Kext Helper, restart, and presto! No QE/CI though :(

BTW isyiwang, were you ever able to get sound working on your UL30VT-A1 ? I've tried several VoodhooHDA and AppleHDA kexts and still can't get it working. Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Steve

Okay, got sound working finally on my ASUS UL30VT. Turned out that the only audio solution that would work , for my laptop is the AppleHDA.kext + HDAEnabler.kext combination. VoodooHDA.kext wouldn't work no matter how many different versions I tried.

And even working out the ideal pairing was a bit tricky too.

I took Michel's recommended AppleHDA.kext and it never worked with other HDAEnabler.kext files until I finally found an HDAEnabler.kext that functioned perfectly with it. Well not "perfectly" actually, cuz I still get kernel panics on shutdowns after playing MP3s -- but it's better than no sound...

The suitable HDAEnabler.kext file came from this post (which also complained about HDAEnabler):

http://www.micropctalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=36608

The compatible, specific HDAEnabler.kext file is mentioned in an earlier post. The file's location is here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/136164700/HDAE...r.kext.zip.html

Whew, guess that's almost everything now: wired LAN, native x4500 video, audio . No sleep of course, and wifi is courtesy of a usb stick. I have a Dell1510 that just arrived but there's no way I'm opening up this laptop and installing it by voiding the warranty...

Oh, and after spending all this time trying to get audio to work, the anticlimax is the fact the sound isn't so great coming from the speakers . Well, what do you expect on a compact notebook...

This notebook's set up for Quad boot btw -- by partition order, I've installed Win7Pro, Leo 10.5.8, Win7Home, Ubuntu with a gorgeous Chameleon theme boot loader. Used Anguish's triple-boot instructions (from mydellmini) as a guide. I'll write up installation instructions when I have time and if there's sufficient interest.

I'll preface this by saying i'm new to OSX.

My UL80VT is mostly working as well on Retail 10.6.3 in 32bit mode. I haven't tried much in 64bit so far as i wasn't have anything luck getting the keyboard and touchpad working in 64bit mode.

I got my sound working using the VoodooHDA kext, but i had to put it in /S/L/E rather than in my chameleon partition. I'm pretty sure (i can't check currently) that i had to have the AppleHDA.kext installed for my sound to work. I also had to put VooDooBattery.kext in /S/L/E for the battery meter to show up. I couldn't get VoodooPS2Controller.kext to work at all, but found that the ApplePS2Controller.kext works. I did have to get a 10.6.3 compatible version of sleepenabler.kext for the touchpad to work using the ApplePS2Controller.kext.

My internal wired networking worked 1 time using AtherosL1cEthernet.kext and then wouldn't work again. I finally got it working again using ionetworkingfamily.kext with AtherosL1cEthernet.kext. For wireless i have the same usb wireless on order from meritline that was mentioned before. Should hopefully be here in a few days.

Using the modified x3100FB driver posted earlier in this threat would give me native resolution, but would make my mouse cursor disappear. The mouse would function, but it's pretty difficult to use without a cursor. This was with both the touchpad and using an external mouse. Found a workaround for native resolution using the following method

http://deviato.wordpress.com/2010/02/24/ch...-gma-version-2/

While the desktop is at native resolution it is not perfect. The apps seem to think that it's still running at 1024x768. If i maximize safari it doesn't maximize to the screen, but to a smaller portion that is roughly 1024x768. I can make it take the whole screen by manually dragging the safari window to be full screen. Works, but is not ideal. I'm new to OSX so maybe it's supposed to be this way or i'm doing something wrong. I don't have a native Mac to compare it to. I didn't have time to try any other apps to see if they had the same problems before i had to leave for work this morning. The animations scrolling through the apps and utilities folders are still choppy.

While i like this laptop i wish i had just bought a macbook pro. It would have been a lot easier to just dual boot windows (and have 2 completely functional OS's) on that than the 10+ hours i've already put into this one to just getting a barely functional Snow Leopard on this one along with my Windows 7 partition.

can someone please post a full detailed guide on how to install snow leopard retail on an ul30 that has a win7 partition? i can access a macbook if needed, and of course i want to install osx from usb.. thank you in advance

edit: cancel that, i finally got it working with a snow leopard hazard release

right now i'm trying to get native resolution, but none of the kext proposed in this page helped me with my 4500mhd.. any help would be appreciated

edit2: ok got native resolution too with a modified chameleon rc4 bootloader and now I want to ask.. have you got smooth graphics? cause everytime I use spaces or open a stack in the dock the animation is slow and flickering.. is it normal?

Why is everyone focussing on the unsupported Intel GMA when at least a few successes with the nVidia card have been reported on the VT. Running OS X without full graphics functionality is not appealing to me, in fact I'd rather buy a UL30 (or something similar and smaller-cheaper) without the nVidia GPU and run it under Windows. To me, Open CL and everything that is dependent on QI-QE (Videos, VMWare, smooth menus, etc) makes OSX86 worth it.

Why is everyone focussing on the unsupported Intel GMA when at least a few successes with the nVidia card have been reported on the VT. Running OS X without full graphics functionality is not appealing to me, in fact I'd rather buy a UL30 (or something similar and smaller-cheaper) without the nVidia GPU and run it under Windows. To me, Open CL and everything that is dependent on QI-QE (Videos, VMWare, smooth menus, etc) makes OSX86 worth it.

I've tried to get nVidia GPU working, but booting up in the 'Compatible Mode' in the BIOS causes OSX to freeze when loading up. You're right in that Open CL and QE makes OSX86 worth it, but you also have to consider the amount of battery being used when using the nVidia GPU vs. Intel's GMA chip. Right now, I get ~4 hours with normal browsing on my UL30VT w/Intel GMA; if I were to use the nVidia GPU, the battery would be dramatically reduced. Of course, you can't game or get the nice shiny effects of OSX w/o QE/CL but I'm sure support for not only the nVidia GPU but the ability for switching between the two chips in software is coming soon ;) Patience is a virtue!

The GMA4500 will never work I think. Even the New "HD Graphics" Intel GPU doesn't work yet even though it's present in the new MBPs. Support for switching is also dreamland stuff, even Linux doesn't have it. I'm asking about the NVidia option because people there seem to have done it: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1408590

What battery have you got in your UL30 (what color is it?). Patience doesn't go well with Asus' philosophy: outing new laptops every 4 months (see UL30-JT). Their prices are not good unless one is out for the high tech solution with a good GPU in a small package. If it is not usable, Acer makes cheaper-smaller laptops...

everybody here focus on the 4500 because.. ul30a has intel 4500.. and this is ul30a topic. go make yourself one for your ulvt

Thanks to this thread I was able to install iATKOS v7 on my UL30A (so it's not SL even though this thread is in the SL section).

There are three very helpful posting in this thread:

1. Installation of the basic system

2. Getting full resolution with the GMA 4500

I have to state that this guide did not work for me in this way, as osx86tools are not to be found within my Application folder. So I used the Kext Helper 7b which is included within the downloaded archive. Using this tool I installed 1st AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and 2nd AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext (within two steps, not both atonce). After a reboot the resolution was set to 1366x768.

3. Enableing wired ethernet

I used the Kext Helper tool again to install AtherosL1cEthernet.build from the Release folder.

Sound was working without futher modifications. But I have to say, that sometimes (and only sometimes) there is a kind of clicking during playback.

So what is working for me when it comes to graphics support:

- normal programs behave the way I'm used to it. Exposé and Spaces are running flawless (all the animation stuff)

- Youtube via flash player in Firefox is not a probleme at all.

- I can even use applications that demand some graphic skills (tried a 3D molecule viewer).

What is not working:

- Photo Booth (can live with that easily)

- Front Row (can live with that easily)

- couldn't play videos, neither using VLC nor using Quicktime (only sound was present)

What surprised me:

- I was able to use an external monitor via VGA. Dual screen is working!

If only video playback was working I had everything I want. If somebody has an idea to make this work I would be very pleased.

Found a solution for the video issue!

After noticing that avidemux2 (video cutting program) is able to display and play videos, I've been trying different video players and I found one that's working quite nicely. It's MPlayer OSX Extended. Another one that's also able to play video is Miro, but that one couldn't play all my file formats.

I also tried one more that didn't work: NicePlayer.

So thanks to MPlayer I have everything I want.

Found a solution for the video issue!

After noticing that avidemux2 (video cutting program) is able to display and play videos, I've been trying different video players and I found one that's working quite nicely. It's MPlayer OSX Extended. Another one that's also able to play video is Miro, but that one couldn't play all my file formats.

I also tried one more that didn't work: NicePlayer.

So thanks to MPlayer I have everything I want.

Hi all..

could you anyone, who had succesfully installed SL in ul30vt, make some summary please?

And I wanted to know if the turbo33 of ul30vt work in Snow leopard..

thanks..

• 3 weeks later...
hey guys!

after some tries i got it working. here we go:

1) get iatkos v7

2) insert and boot from dvd...

3) when it asks you to press f8 to add some boot commands, press f8

4) type in: -v cpus=1

5) now it should boot properly

6) open disk ultility from the installer (at the top: utilities -> disk utility)

7) select the partition you want to install leopard on, click on erase and erase it with "mac os extended (journaled)"

8) close disk utility and click next and agree stuff and next where you have to select your partition

9) select the formated partition and click next

10) afer that click on customize... now mark the things i did:

- iATKOS v7 Main System

Section Bootloader:

Chameleon v1

Section x86 Patches

/Extra directory

DSDT

AppleDecrypt (subsection Decrypters)

9.7.0 Kernel voodoo (subsection Kernel)

Disabler

Section Driver -> System

Intel SATA/IDE (subsection SATA/IDE)

Voodoo HDA Driver (subsection Sound)

Voodoo PS/2 driver (subsection PS/2 mouse/keyboard) !important

Laptop Battery

NTFS 3G (so you can write on NTFS partitions)

Section Languages

simply your language

Post-Install Actions

if it does not boot properly, boot with "-v -f cpus=1"

so this are the main points i have selected. to be honest, there is not that much working up to now exept the main system. So ethernet (both wireless and wired) is not working, sleep is not working, graphic card is not installed... usb and sound works pretty good. i will have to test some more kexts for video and so on, but it would be nice if you guys also try some things to get everything to work ;)

have fun

What are you talking about? The notebook asus ul30a has not dvd reader. you said "insert and boot from dvd..."

I've tried to install it with Usb, everything goes okey but when I reboot My pc doesn't recognize the Usb. I have no mac so I tried with iAtkos and iDeneb.iso

And I cannot find the configuration in BIOS to set to AHCI mode. It doesn't exist...

I found this site, they said that there is a good way to install Snow leopard with Usb

Taranfx: install Snow Leopard with USB

Need help.

//Lucas

What are you talking about? The notebook asus ul30a has not dvd reader. you said "insert and boot from dvd..."

I've tried to install it with Usb, everything goes okey but when I reboot My pc doesn't recognize the Usb. I have no mac so I tried with iAtkos and iDeneb.iso

And I cannot find the configuration in BIOS to set to AHCI mode. It doesn't exist...

I found this site, they said that there is a good way to install Snow leopard with Usb

Taranfx: install Snow Leopard with USB

Need help.

//Lucas

no the ul30a hasn't any dvd reader, but you can use usb dvd reader and it work for me to install snow leopard (dist hazard), so i think it will work to install it with usb ;)

the ul30a is in AHCI mode by default.

PS: sorry for my english  ;)

Thanks Michel, everything is working now.

I've run into an issue though, when the UL30 goes to sleep, I can't wake it up again and it breaks my installation completely (I have to reinstall everything again as the myHack bootloader just hangs). Have you run into this issue? Is sleep enabled for you?

Boot with the option "Wake=n" to surpass this issue, it worked for me once so far (but I hear it only works once or twice, but can't confirm this is true).

• 1 month later...

This thread is so great, you just have to read it all and you will find solution for everything.

iAtkos v7 worked fine for me and I have now the version 10.5.8 with good resolution and I also run windows 7 (I use Easy Bcd to boot between OS) I bought an usb wlan. sound and wired works fine.

THx.

CMP-WNUSB31.JPG

Have someone tried to install any version of OSX on the Asus UL30A?

Or at least what do you think about the hardware? Could it be possible to install OSX on it?

Specs:

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo SU7300 1.3GHz

Memory 4GB DDR3-800 (2 DIMMs)

Chipset Intel GS45 Express

Graphics Integrated Intel GMA 4500MHD with 64MB dedicated memory

Display 13.3" TFT with WXGA (1366x768) resolution and LED backlight

Storage Seagate Momentus 5400.6 320GB 2.5" 5,400-RPM hard drive

Audio Stereo HD audio via Realtek codec

Ports 3 USB 2.0

1 VGA

1 HDMI

1 RJ45 10/100 Ethernet via Atheros AR8132

1 analog headphone output

1 analog microphone input

Expansion slots 1 SD/SDHC/MMC/MS/MSPRO/xD

Communications 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi via Atheros AR9285

Input devices "Full size" keyboard

Trackpad with multi-touch scrolling

Internal microphone

Camera 0.3 megapixel webcam

Dimensions 12.7" x 9.0" x 0.9-1.1" (323 mm x 229 mm x 22.9-27.9 mm)

Weight 3.7 lbs (1.7 kg)

Battery 8-cell Li-Ion 84Wh

So I found this post last night:

http://osx86.net/f5/atheros-card-9285-t4431/page3.html

First off, I wouldn't be surprised if it's legit. It would save me a lot of hassle from buying a tiny wlan adapter and then using it all the time :(

Anyone here capable of doing what needs to be done? Or at least have a step by step instruction on how to do it? I'd be willing to spend a few hours editing the kext if I knew how.

After this, all that's left is getting full video support!