[GUIDE] Minimalist retail install of Snow Leopard on Dell D830

msingh

Did this guide work as advertised for your Dell D830 ?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Did this guide work as advertised for your Dell D830 ?

• Yes.
    • No, and I am posting the problem I have.
    • Something else - see my post.

85 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone has given 10.6.3 a go yet ?

yeah, apparently applehda.kext is now hardcoded, so save your applehda from 10.6.2 and reinstall it in 10.6.3 to get sound working. also you need a new sleepenabler.kext (as per usual), which is pretty easy to get from google. and lastly look for a lidsleep.kext, since clamshell no longer works if you use the kext.

hmm yeah i think that's it, I haven't noticed anything new with .3 though.

yeah, apparently applehda.kext is now hardcoded, so save your applehda from 10.6.2 and reinstall it in 10.6.3 to get sound working. also you need a new sleepenabler.kext (as per usual), which is pretty easy to get from google. and lastly look for a lidsleep.kext, since clamshell no longer works if you use the kext.

hmm yeah i think that's it, I haven't noticed anything new with .3 though.

Thanks for the tip.

I think I will hold off on updating for now if there is nothing new.

• 2 weeks later...

I just updated from 10.6.1 to 10.6.3 and it was pretty straightforward. This is what I did:

* Installed chameleon 2.0 RC4. For some reason I can only use this bootloader if I add arch=i386 to the command line. v1.0 worked fine in 64 bit mode (i.e. no arch=i386 needed there).

* The system booted up to a black screen, but kept running. I had to copy NV* and Ge* from the 10.6.1 installation to get the graphics to work again. Everything seems fine there

* I had to delete AppleHDA for sounds to be working again

As far as I can tell, everything else still behaves as before.

Edit/Correction: I never booted in 64 bit mode in the first place (as I incorrectly assumed above). The older version of the boot loader just automatically triggered 32 bit mode.

I just updated from 10.6.1 to 10.6.3 and it was pretty straightforward. This is what I did:

* Installed chameleon 2.0 RC4. For some reason I can only use this bootloader if I add arch=i386 to the command line. v1.0 worked fine in 64 bit mode (i.e. no arch=i386 needed there).

* The system booted up to a black screen, but kept running. I had to copy NV* and Ge* from the 10.6.1 installation to get the graphics to work again. Everything seems fine there

* I had to delete AppleHDA for sounds to be working again

As far as I can tell, everything else still behaves as before.

v 1.0 Defaulted to i386 mode. The default to 64 bit mode is a recent thing. You were probably never working properly in x64 mode unless you set boot flags specifically to set them up.

• 2 weeks later...

I got reboot working using OSXRestart.kext. I have to unload VoodooPower.kext first though. Also, it takes about 30 seconds for the AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext to unload. If I unload it first, the reboot happens quickly.

I've been looking into merging openhaltrestart and osxrestart but without any luck so far. osxrestart must be doing something right to be working even though I have an nvidia card.

I read that the trick to get the shutdown working is to mess with DSDT. Has anyone managed this?

• 2 weeks later...
I got reboot working using OSXRestart.kext. I have to unload VoodooPower.kext first though. Also, it takes about 30 seconds for the AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext to unload. If I unload it first, the reboot happens quickly.

I've been looking into merging openhaltrestart and osxrestart but without any luck so far. osxrestart must be doing something right to be working even though I have an nvidia card.

I read that the trick to get the shutdown working is to mess with DSDT. Has anyone managed this?

I will give this a try.

One thing I have noticed. I was running 10.6.2 and out of nowhere (I had put of the 10.6.3 update for a month as I did not want to risk bricking it), my hack stopped resuming from sleep (hibernate does not work on this - maybe your fix may help) every second time. Insanely irritating :rolleyes:

What happens is that there is hard disk activity, the screen backlight remains lit and the password prompt never appears.

I just upgraded to 10.6.3, and the problem persists.

• 1 month later...

Its all in the DSDT.aml how well it is scripted. The XPS M1330/M1530 have a near 100% clone. Brett and others have shutdown working maybe we can add that script to our DSDT?

A perfect DSDT means a perfect Hack in the end.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190780

• 1 year later...