AppleACPIBattery in 32/64 flavor for Snow Kitty.

adityaxavier

90 posts in this topic

BugsB, this is the result in 10.6.0:-

Dong VoodooBattery:-

32bit - Deinterlaced set to Better Quality only

64bit - N/A

Superhai VoodooBattery:-

64bit - N/A

adityaxavier AppleACPIBatteryManager:-

64bit - N/A

Dong AppleACPIBatteryManager:-

64bit - Deinterlaced set to Better Quality only

valv/slice AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext:-

64bit - Deinterlaced set to Better Quality only

N/A - kext failed to load but DVD movie played without any problem using the DVD player. Video also visible with all deinterlaced settings.

Deinterlaced set to Better Quality only - DVD playback is normal in this setting. Black/blank screen (can hear audio only) with Optimal & Good Quality settings.

All kexts is downloaded from this thread & using BugsB's smbios.plist (MacBookPro5,1).

:rolleyes:

EDIT: Added test results - battery kext posted by valv.

kizwan

@kizwan, slightly erroneous result here, as SuperHai's VoodooBattery supports both archs (x32 & x64).

Am pretty sure about it as it is the one am using on sl x64 as shown below

post-498884-1273602373_thumb.png

Greetz,

thanks kizwan for the detailed tests + results posting, wow! So we know it is not the smbios.plist ..

@ valv:

- the SMserials are from your plist .. ;) but experienced the same limitation before with other values

- dmesg: system.log already got overwritten so I need to do that next reboot, am working right now

- Essentials package: I already did a fresh vanilla install without any extra kexts, even on a GUID drive, same thing

Maybe meter + playback are working in in 10.5.x + modded PM.bundle because I am using modded ACPI kexts (which do not exist for Snow and the ones from Leo do not work anymore --> kp)?

@kizwan, slightly erroneous result here, as SuperHai's VoodooBattery supports both archs (x32 & x64).

Am pretty sure about it as it is the one am using on sl x64 as shown below

post-498884-1273602373_thumb.png

Greetz,

There are a lot of Superhai's VoodooBatery out there. The one I have, might not the same version as yours. For sure, not all users with different computer, using the same kext, will produce the same results as mine. It depends on the hardware, BIOS, etc.

@BugsB, I believe your DSDT is broken. That is why you have issues with DVD Player when using (any) battery kexts. A lot of work need to be done to fix your DSDT.

There are a lot of Superhai's VoodooBatery out there. The one I have, might not the same version as yours. For sure, not all users with different computer, using the same kext, will produce the same results as mine. It depends on the hardware, BIOS, etc.

@BugsB, I believe your DSDT is broken. That is why you have issues with DVD Player when using (any) battery kexts. A lot of work need to be done to fix your DSDT.

Hi 'kizwan',

Could you please post your DSDT and version of battery kext you using ? I have the same problem that BugsB has, maybe comparing our DSDTs will help us solve this error..

Thanks in advance

s

Hi 'kizwan',

Could you please post your DSDT and version of battery kext you using ? I have the same problem that BugsB has, maybe comparing our DSDTs will help us solve this error..

Thanks in advance

s

Sorry, I was wrong about the broken DSDT. Just updated to 10.6.3 & now I get the same error. This is the error produced in the log file when it happen:-

bash-3.2# tail -f /var/log/kernel.log

May 12 11:12:35 kizwans-MacBook kernel[0]: IO80211Interface::efiNVRAMPublished():

May 12 11:12:35 kizwans-MacBook kernel[0]: AirPort: Link Down on en1. Reason 8 (Disassociated because station leaving).

May 12 11:12:35 kizwans-MacBook kernel[0]: FakeSMC: key not found BEMB, length - 1

May 12 11:12:36 kizwans-MacBook kernel[0]: NTFS driver 3.2 [Flags: R/W].

May 12 11:12:36 kizwans-MacBook kernel[0]: NTFS volume name , version 3.1.

May 12 11:12:37 kizwans-MacBook kernel[0]: FakeSMC: key info not found MSDS, length - 6

May 12 11:12:41 kizwans-MacBook kernel[0]: AppleRTL8169Ethernet: phyWaitForAutoNegotiation TIMEOUT

May 12 11:12:42 kizwans-MacBook kernel[0]: Auth result for: 00:11:6b:2c:32:88 MAC AUTH succeeded

May 12 11:12:42 kizwans-MacBook kernel[0]: AirPort: Link Up on en1

May 12 11:12:43 kizwans-MacBook kernel[0]: AirPort: RSN handshake complete on en1

May 12 11:13:40 kizwans-MacBook kernel[0]: NVDA(Video): Channel exception! exception type = 0x3 = Fifo: Unknown Method Error

May 12 11:13:49 kizwans-MacBook kernel[0]: NVDA(Video): Channel exception! exception type = 0x1 = Fifo: Fifo Method Error

This means the battery kext have compatibility problem with nvidia graphic card driver (at least with Nvidia Go 7300 - known problem - causing kernel panic in 10.6.3 64bit mode). For graphic card, I use DSDT code & GraphicsEnabler=Yes. Please check your log file & post it here. I want to see if yours also produced similar error messages as mine. Also describe how you get your graphic card working.

Actually, when using Snow Leopard I never load any battery kext because it failed to detect when I'm using battery only.

kizwan

Actually, when using Snow Leopard I never load any battery kext because it failed to detect when I'm using battery only.

kizwan

I've got exactly the same error in terminal with 7600go, loaded only with DSDT code. With small DSDT changes voodoobattery works fine on my system (thanks Superhai) except this one error, Sometimes I'm getting KPs when plugging unplugging AC adapter but thats rare enough to not to bother.

my system runs in 32bit mode

Voodoobattery.kext - ver 1.2.1 (53KB)

cheers

s

I've got exactly the same error in terminal with 7600go, loaded only with DSDT code. With small DSDT changes voodoobattery works fine on my system (thanks Superhai) except this one error, Sometimes I'm getting KPs when plugging unplugging AC adapter but thats rare enough to not to bother.

my system runs in 32bit mode

Voodoobattery.kext - ver 1.2.1 (53KB)

cheers

s

Not a lot of support in SL. I have spent my time tried to fix the battery issue my self before but it only leads me to the "dark side". ;) My Acer Aspire 9420's BIOS & DSDT also has gone a lot of modification. So, I'm not interested to fix it now. I'm also not impress with the longer boot time SL take to boot (waiting dsmos). I'm either going to use SL without the battery kext or going back to Leo which 99.99% working.

kizwan

so it looks like we are dealing with a incompatibility of Apple's internal DVD Playback + Battery Meter with NVidia Geforce Go 7x00 in Mac OS X >= 10.6.2 ..

The question remains: what is battery meter display triggering that has our machines look unacceptable to the DVD Playback (probably framework since it affects both, DVD Player AND Front Row)! I guess hacking that verification out of the framework (if that is where it is located) would be one way to go ..

[EDIT]:

/System/Library/Frameworks/DVDPlayback.framework/Versions/A/Resources/BridgeSupport/

DVDPlayback.bridgesupport and DVDPlaybackFull.bridgesupport:

<enum name='kDVDErrorNotSupportedConfiguration' value='-70013'/>

Not a lot of support in SL. I have spent my time tried to fix the battery issue my self before but it only leads me to the "dark side". :thumbsup_anim: My Acer Aspire 9420's BIOS & DSDT also has gone a lot of modification. So, I'm not interested to fix it now. I'm also not impress with the longer boot time SL take to boot (waiting dsmos). I'm either going to use SL without the battery kext or going back to Leo which 99.99% working.

kizwan

Hi kizwan

I've never tried Leopard on my laptop but I must agree with you about the boot time and battery problem, before I try to install Leo can you confirm that on your system under Leopard - battery metter+DVD works fine ? no AC plug-unplug issues ? and since you have Geforce Go 7x00 card can you recall if your display sleep+wakeup works ok?

On my system (with SL) display will not wake up properly, have to use cscreen script to wake it up or full sleep+wakeup to have desktop again.

thanks

s

so it looks like we are dealing with a incompatibility of Apple's internal DVD Playback + Battery Meter with NVidia Geforce Go 7x00 in Mac OS X >= 10.6.2 ..

The question remains: what is battery meter display triggering that has our machines look unacceptable to the DVD Playback (probably framework since it affects both, DVD Player AND Front Row)! I guess hacking that verification out of the framework (if that is where it is located) would be one way to go ..

[EDIT]:

/System/Library/Frameworks/DVDPlayback.framework/Versions/A/Resources/BridgeSupport/

DVDPlayback.bridgesupport and DVDPlaybackFull.bridgesupport:

<enum name='kDVDErrorNotSupportedConfiguration' value='-70013'/>

Thats right BugsB, this problem also exist on real Mac's with Geforce 7xxx, you probably know that,

anyway,

I have tried so many options including: checking all battery kexts, injecting VGA through 3 different methods: DSDT, EFI string, Graphicsenabler=yes in com.apple.boot, I'm giving up,

especially that we have unstoppable and unbreakable VLC player

best

s

Hi kizwan

I've never tried Leopard on my laptop but I must agree with you about the boot time and battery problem, before I try to install Leo can you confirm that on your system under Leopard - battery metter+DVD works fine ? no AC plug-unplug issues ? and since you have Geforce Go 7x00 card can you recall if your display sleep+wakeup works ok?

On my system (with SL) display will not wake up properly, have to use cscreen script to wake it up or full sleep+wakeup to have desktop again.

thanks

s

I can confirm that battery meter + DVD playback works fine in Leo. On my system (Acer Aspire 9420), battery meter + DVD playback works fine up to SL 10.6.0. I'm also not experiencing AC plug-unplug issues (tested while DVD playback). My GeForce Go 7300 graphic card also experiencing problem with display sleep+wake (with both Leo & SL). I found out that if I attached the secondary monitor, the display sleep+wake will works OK. Does real mac also experiencing the same problem?

kizwan

I can confirm that battery meter + DVD playback works fine in Leo. On my system (Acer Aspire 9420), battery meter + DVD playback works fine up to SL 10.6.0. I'm also not experiencing AC plug-unplug issues (tested while DVD playback). My GeForce Go 7300 graphic card also experiencing problem with display sleep+wake (with both Leo & SL). I found out that if I attached the secondary monitor, the display sleep+wake will works OK. Does real mac also experiencing the same problem?

kizwan

Thanks for that info kizwan,

I did read about similar problems from mac GeForce 7xxx users but not sure how much that was related to our problem, also our cards have this Go thingy (shared memory) and I dont remember any macbook with Geforce Go 7xxx, which will explain lack of support. but I may be wrong here.

s

SOLUTIONS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POSTING, [EDIT2] & [EDIT3]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats right BugsB, this problem also exist on real Mac's with Geforce 7xxx, you probably know that
2 b honest, my research did not surface that. Would you be so kind and post whatever links you have in regards to this? It must be MacBooks not Macs equipped with a 7xxx because Macs do not need a battery meter and would not experience this bug .....

We have the Go's and there has never been any MacBook equipped with a 7xxx Go - just google, you'll find nothing. The NVDANV40Hal.kext was not made for the Go 7xxx, it's just that with EFI injection we can force it to work up to a certain extent. That's most likely why we experience the black screen on display wake-up - the routine to reignite a 7xxx Go is simply not coded into the NVDANV40Hal.kext and needs to be jerry-rigged with cscreen/ sleepwatcher.

especially that we have unstoppable and unbreakable VLC player
were you able to make VLC start playback right on Video DVD insert, and if, how so?

I can confirm that battery meter + DVD playback works fine in [..] SL 10.6.0
I still have a 10.6.0 install on one of my externals and will test soon. If I can second your experience it should be possible to get Frontrow & DVD Player in 10.6.>0 working again with the 10.6.0 files (NVDANV40Hal.kext/ pm.bundle/ DVDPlayback.framework/ maybe some grfx FWs) - shouldn't it .. ? :wacko:

[EDIT]: GOT DVD PLAYBACK WORKING IN 10.6.3 ALONG WITH BATTERY METER !!

Thank you so much kizwan for the 10.6.0 hint, and also mahalo to swavek for not making me feel alone with this, that was great collaboration here!

DVDPlayer.app is the same in .0 and .3, same version, same # of bytes. DVDPlayback.fw is different. Tried the .0 fw in .3 but that made DVDPlayer not start at all. Applied the .0 NVDANV40Hal.kext to .3 = no grfx. Applied most of the grfx kexts from .0 = meter + playback at the same time as supposed to be!

I need to say that I also had to revert back to 10.6.2 OpenGL & OpenCL fws a few days ago to prevent my grfx to garble at some point while working in OS X, which had the desired effect (that bug surfaced after the 10.6.3 update so I kinda knew what to do).

I will update the 10.6.0 install to 10.6.1 soon, hopefully today, to see if that breaks anything, and can then upload & share the most current combo of kexts & fws which works in 10.6.3.

So the .2 and then .3 updates broke quite a bit for us NVida Go 7xxx users, darn ..

[EDIT2]: the 10.6.1 update did not change the grfx kexts for the Nvidia Gefore 7xxx, so here's the package (kexts, FWs, ReadMe.txt): http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zadzjznjmnq (40MB .dmg)

[EDIT3]: because swavek reported loss of QE/CI (= no transparent menu bar/ most screen-savers not working anymore) after applying above core package. Therefore I prepared a complementary package with the Nvidia Geforce Go related graphics files which I had left out in the main package because they are not necessary on my Toshi with the Go 7600. You can download it right here: http://www.mediafire.com/?kqmtyw25iqm (21.3MB). I tested this package and can confirm QE/CI working here, so hopefully it also works for you if you suffer from QE/CI loss

Feedback VERY welcome :wacko: !

• 2 weeks later...

BugsB,

I totally forgot. :rolleyes: I have tested your package with 10.6.3 on Acer Aspire 9420 & the result is DVD playback is working with battery kext loaded.

Back to battery kext; Does AC & Battery showed in your System Profiler (under Power Settings)? Mine only list the Battery Information & AC Power settings.

10.6.3 Sys Profiler with Superhai's latest VoodooBattery 1.3.3:

Battery Information:

Model Information:
 Serial Number:	396
 Manufacturer:	
 Device name:	
 Charge Information:
 Charge below critical level:	No
 Charge below warning level:	No
 Charge remaining (mAh):	2248
 Fully charged:	Yes
 Charging:	No
 Full charge capacity (mAh):	2248
 Health Information:
 Cycle count:	935
 Condition:	Replace Soon
 Battery Installed:	Yes
 Amperage (mA):	0
 Voltage (mV):	12529

System Power Settings:

AC Power:
 System Sleep Timer (Minutes):	131
 Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes):	0
 Display Sleep Timer (Minutes):	15
 Automatic Restart On Power Loss:	No
 Wake On AC Change:	No
 Wake On LAN:	Yes
 Current Power Source:	Yes
 Display Sleep Uses Dim:	Yes
 Battery Power:
 System Sleep Timer (Minutes):	15
 Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes):	10
 Display Sleep Timer (Minutes):	5
 Wake On AC Change:	No
 Display Sleep Uses Dim:	Yes
 Reduce Brightness:	Yes

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed:	No

AC Charger Information:

Connected:	Yes
 ID:	0x0000
 Wattage (W):	0
 Revision:	0x0000
 Family:	0x0000
 Serial Number:	0x00000000
 Charging:	No

Feedback VERY welcome ;) !

Hi 'BugsB',

Thanks for sharing your work here, recently have very little time but I managed today to find time and install your package. It solved DVD problem on my system but then breaks mplayer and VLC playback, also QE and Cl doesn't work, so I had to go back to 10.6.3 kexts, frameworks. In case if you ask: I cleaned cache, repaired permissions and booted system 3 times after installation of your kexts.

regards

s

10.6.3 Sys Profiler with Superhai's latest VoodooBattery 1.3.3:

EDIT: revised wording - 2/6/2010

I assume there is no Battery tab in System Preferences (Power) (Energy Saver), right? The same scenario happen on my Acer Aspire 9420. On my Dell Studio, (battery kext is not loaded) there are "Battery Power" & "AC Power" under "System Power Settings" in System Profiler. Both AC & Battery tab visible in System Preferences. If I remember correctly, I got the same results (AC & Battery tab) with battery kext (only) on either Acer Aspire 3680 or 9420 with Leo. It seems the battery kext is not properly detected/utilized battery in Snow Leo. What do you think? I'm attached here System Profiler dump taken from my Dell Studio.

http://www.mediafire.com/?zot0ihyt32z

@ swavek: sorry to hear about your loss of QE/CI! I had only included the files which were really necessary here on my Toshi. I just prepared a 2nd = complementary package with the files I had (intentionally) left out because I am following the primary rule to always only swap what is really required ("less = more"). You can find the additional package with more 10.6.1 grfx files here (bottom of the posting, under [EDIT3]. Hope you have the space & time to apply both packages and see if all three work (battery meter, DVD Playback, QE/CI). They work here.

@ kizwan: your wording appears a bit imprecise - in System Preferences/ Energy Saver I have the entries Battery and Power Adapter, everything being fully configurable in the Battery Tab :)

Try different Battery kexts? Again, I am using Superhai's latest VoodooBattery 1.3.3 from May 5 2010.

@ kizwan: your wording appears a bit imprecise - in System Preferences/ Energy Saver I have the entries Battery and Power Adapter, everything being fully configurable in the Battery Tab ;)

Try different Battery kexts? Again, I am using Superhai's latest VoodooBattery 1.3.3 from May 5 2010.

Sorry, I wrote previous post in windows (at work I think, my mac was at home). :D On my 9420, battery tab is not vissible in Energy Saver with 1.3.2 & 1.3.3 VoodooBattery kext. I'm guessing this happen because dsdt. I'm looking to it right now.

Sorry, I wrote previous post in windows (at work I think, my mac was at home). :) On my 9420, battery tab is not vissible in Energy Saver with 1.3.2 & 1.3.3 VoodooBattery kext. I'm guessing this happen because dsdt. I'm looking to it right now.

Hi,

What is the value of system-type as per your ioreg ?

If its not 02,then i guess you need to change that in FADT table by using PM_PROFILE value as 02 for mobile devices,compile it and there you go....

please let me know if it gives back all the power settings in system profiler ...

Edit: As a simpler solution,you can also check if you sue the SystemType=n flag in the Boot.plist file

Hi,

What is the value of system-type as per your ioreg ?

If its not 02,then i guess you need to change that in FADT table by using PM_PROFILE value as 02 for mobile devices,compile it and there you go....

please let me know if it gives back all the power settings in system profiler ...

Edit: As a simpler solution,you can also check if you sue the SystemType=n flag in the Boot.plist file

Thanks but I didn't found "system-type" entry in my ioreg. I'm also not familiar with FADT table. I'm looking into it right now. Thanks again for the info. :D

Thanks but I didn't found "system-type" entry in my ioreg. I'm also not familiar with FADT table. I'm looking into it right now. Thanks again for the info. :wacko:

Well, it should be like :

+-o MacPro3,1 <class IOPlatformExpertDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 21>

| {

| "IOBusyInterest" = "IOCommand is not serializable"

| "IOInterruptControllers" = ("io-apic-0")

| "IOPlatformSerialNumber" = "W52182AHPL3"

| "clock-frequency" = <00b5644f>

| "version" = <"1.0">

| "product-name" = <"MacPro3,1">

| "IOInterruptSpecifiers" = (<0900000005000000>)

| "board-id" = <"Mac-F42C88C8">

| "model" = <"MacPro3,1">

| "serial-number" = <154d53000000000000000000007535323138314148504c330 0000000000000000000000000000000000000>

| "manufacturer" = <"Apple Inc.">

| "IOPlatformArgs" = <0050b30000d069007880b20000000000>

| "name" = <"/">

| "IOPlatformUUID" = "33DB4D5B-1FF7-401C-9657-7441C03DD766"

| "compatible" = <"MacPro3,1">

| "IOGeneralInterest" = "IOCommand is not serializable"

| "IOPolledInterface" = "SMCPolledInterface is not serializable"

| "system-type" = <05>

| }

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually FADT table is one of the table in BIOS like DSDT and this table containes a field "Preferred_PM_Profile"

You can find more about the accepted values on page 118 of the ACPI v4 specs or just search for PM_PROFILE in that pdf.

Chameleon can also override this PM_PROFILE value by using SystemType or system-type in the boot.plist file.The exact key depends upon the version of Chameleon used.

Other way is to decompile the FADT table change this value and complile it and use Chameleon variant like Andy's which can load FADT tables as well.

I use a HP DV6114TX laptop and my FADT table had Preferred_PM_Profile as 0(Unspecified).Also most Chameleon distros use default value as 0 which is for desktops and 2 is the value needed for laptops/mobile devices.

Actually FADT table is one of the table in BIOS like DSDT and this table containes a field "Preferred_PM_Profile"

You can find more about the accepted values on page 118 of the ACPI v4 specs or just search for PM_PROFILE in that pdf.

Chameleon can also override this PM_PROFILE value by using SystemType or system-type in the boot.plist file.The exact key depends upon the version of Chameleon used.

Other way is to decompile the FADT table change this value and complile it and use Chameleon variant like Andy's which can load FADT tables as well.

I use a HP DV6114TX laptop and my FADT table had Preferred_PM_Profile as 0(Unspecified).Also most Chameleon distros use default value as 0 which is for desktops and 2 is the value needed for laptops/mobile devices.

Thank you for the explanation. ;) I really appreciate it. I believe you're referring to this right?

[02Dh 0045  1]				   PM Profile : 00 (Unspecified)

This code actually part of the FADT/FACP table taken from Dell Studio. Strangely, Battery & AC tab are visible in System Preferences. I have not yet take a look FADT/FACP table on my Aspire 9420. I'll try change the value to 02 & see if it make any difference or not.

Thank you for the explanation. :( I really appreciate it. I believe you're referring to this right?

[02Dh 0045  1]				   PM Profile : 00 (Unspecified)

Exactly.

I also have 00 specified by default and did not have any abttery settings.But then i added the key SystemType as 02 in com.apple.Boot.plist file and was able to get battery settings in system preferences.

In case you were not able to locate system-type in ioreg,then you can try this command :

ioreg -lw0|grep -i system-type

This should work fine.