OS X on a Sony Vaio

Drew82

7 posts in this topic

Well allow me to get the ball rolling--

At current, I sit here typing away on my Sony Vaio VGN-760 laptop, solely using Windows XP Pro. However, I'm feeling particularly gutsy and have decided that it's time to turn this lovely machine into a real eye-catcher. Yet there is some hesitation.

Whatever your method may be in obtaining OS X to work on x86 hardware (demon, bay, tspy, or puchasing the OS for $129) The question is simple: Which installation method works best in making everything work? (Sound, wireless, screen resolutions, DVD burning, etc.)

Please provide feedback on either partial or full-success of your process. As the thread grows, I will eventually create a lovely looking, well-documented, image-filled, step-by-step installation guide. :D

Thanks,

Drew82

I got OSX86 working perfectly on my Sony VAIO VGC-RB53 desktop. I started back in Feb. with 10.4.3, and as time went on, I eventually came up to 10.4.6. All ISOs were obtained from Demonoid. Once omni's ATI driver came out, my X800 XL has nearly perfect support, graphic wise, except for minor mouse tearing, but everything else worked right out of the box. I attached an edited[removed personal info] copy of an Everest Home Edition report if you want to see the hardware.

vaioreport1.txt

Theres no one good method. It depends on your computer hardware setup. You should check out the wiki for your hardware, and see if its supported. If not, dont bother. If so, the best thing to do is download one of the OSx86 torrents from one of the many sites that provides them (The latest version is probably best). Then come back here for friendly help from everyone. :)

The 10.4.6 install worked on my Sony VAIO S360. It was fairly straightforward compared to the original install in 10.4.1. The only drawback so far has been an inability to get the ALPS trackpad to work, the sound (only comes out of line-out), and the lack of wireless drivers (which can be solved by PCMCIA or a new miniPCI card). Otherwise with the OMNI ATI drivers, the notebook is almost perfect. I say, give it a try!

A number of VAIO users have also had problems getting the trackpad working, so maybe we can pool our ideas together here and get that working.

The 10.4.6 install worked on my Sony VAIO S360. It was fairly straightforward compared to the original install in 10.4.1. The only drawback so far has been an inability to get the ALPS trackpad to work, the sound (only comes out of line-out), and the lack of wireless drivers (which can be solved by PCMCIA or a new miniPCI card). Otherwise with the OMNI ATI drivers, the notebook is almost perfect. I say, give it a try!

A number of VAIO users have also had problems getting the trackpad working, so maybe we can pool our ideas together here and get that working.

Long ago when I had a VAIO laptop, I found an ALPS trackpad driver that worked just fine for me. http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...ic=5419&hl=ALPS was the driver topic i believe.