[SOLVED] SL install unable to Bless

AzN_DJ

4 posts in this topic

Hi. I am having issues installing Snow Leopard, with the final part of the install. I have tried multiple methods, and no success so far. But what has occured on every attempt is that the install has failed at the last section, with the error that the install is unable to bless the new installation.

This is what is in the logs.

Finalize disk "Snow" for OS Installation

Finalizing Disk for OS Install

Unable to set 'Snow' as boot disk: The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk

Install failed: The installer could not start up the computer from the disk "Snow". Try selecting your disk using the Startup Disk Utility.

Here is the hardware

Mainboard: ASUS p5kpl-cm - Chipset=Intel G31/ICH7

Processor: Intel Core2Quad Q6600 (2.4Ghz)

Graphics: Nvidia 8600

Ram: 2GB

SATA Hard Drive (250GB, install location) IDE Hard drive (160GB, contains linux installation and a spare partition that I have been using for install files) and SATA pioneer DVD rom

Other possible issues - I can't get Chameleon working properly, for Leopard I used grub and boot_v9.

DSDT - Confuses me, and I dont think I put the DSDT file in the right place.

ACPI - turned on in the BIOS.

I have been using a modified boot-132 disk to install SL. When I installed Leopard, I managed to just use the boot-132 and Leopard retail disk, install OS X and then load a few kexts afterwards. Things have become more complicated since then. The last installation of Leopard I had was 10.5.8 but this suffered from a failed upgrade.

Is anyone able to help me with this? Thankyou.

EDIT - I have found a solution to this problem. This solution may possibly solve some kernel panic issues.

AFTER installation, Open up a terminal. There is a Utilities tab at the top.

Type in: diskutil unmount -f (where you have installed Snow leopard)

So for example for me,

diskutil unmount -f /Volumes/Snow

(note that it has to be forced)

close the terminal

Open up Disk Utility.

Click on your install location on the left hand side

Press Repair disk - This will fix the boot sequence.

Then press Repair Disk Permissions. This also fixes the boot sequence, BUT it can also fix up incorrect Kext permissions.

After this, I was able to successfully boot into 64-bit snow without any further issues (excluding sound, but Im working on that at the moment)

• 2 weeks later...

i have this problem, i try to unmount the disk with terminal, but it tells me error couldnt find UUID error 35

any ideas?

in disk utility, the UUID is written in the info box of the HDD where SL has been installed.

i have rebooted, tried to unmount the disk in terminal but i got the same error. but i was able to unmount the disk in disk utility, repair the disk and permissions.

the disk now appears in startup drives, but when i try to set it as the startup drive, it says the bless tool cannot set this as the boot device.

when i reboot, change the boot drive in my bios to the SL drive, it boots with a blinking cursor.

???

• 2 months later...
i have this problem, i try to unmount the disk with terminal, but it tells me error couldnt find UUID error 35

any ideas?

in disk utility, the UUID is written in the info box of the HDD where SL has been installed.

i have rebooted, tried to unmount the disk in terminal but i got the same error. but i was able to unmount the disk in disk utility, repair the disk and permissions.

the disk now appears in startup drives, but when i try to set it as the startup drive, it says the bless tool cannot set this as the boot device.

when i reboot, change the boot drive in my bios to the SL drive, it boots with a blinking cursor.

???

I have exactly the same problem....Im trying to fix it, Ill let you know if I find any more info on it, so close!

• 6 months later...

I got the same problem as you'll and i fixed it.

After the installation failed i rebooted back into the installer, repaired the permissions and the disk.

Then i resized my partition by about a gb less and again repaired permissions and the disk and rebooted.

I was treated with the mac os welcome video.

I think resizing did the trick.Hope you both find this useful.