VoodooHDA Volume Control Fix [UPDATED][REUPLOADED]

christina

67 posts in this topic

Just noticed something interesting, after pressing the mute button on my keyboard or checking the box under System Preferences / Sound, it works and sound goes off as you would expect, however when I uncheck the Mute box / press the button again, there is no sound, I have to toggle the volume up/down to get it back. Is this expected and if not, does anyone know how to fix it?

Running on an Asus P5Q Pro Turbo.

Thanks!

To restore volume on unmute I need to know it's previous value (before mute). I should store it somewhere and then re-allocate it on unmute.

Sorry if the above stuff didn't make sense

• 3 weeks later...

new version of voodoohda by slice here: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=355

-->the good:

- no more sleep problem. Sound is good after wake.

- automatic change names while autodetect in Leo. Strange, but in Snow names will be changed only after close/open sound prefs.

- no kernel panic at start. But...

- corrected startup volumes

- some minor fixes

-->the bad: (i have hp dv5 (idt))

MAX/MIN/MUTE not WORK in this version

-->can someone fix it, please?

thanks in advance and sorry for my english

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I downloaded the VoodooHDA kext, but I cannot install it. (I don't know how to do it via the terminal, so I'm using Kext Utility), and it says: Packing new "Extensions.mkext" ...

Sorry, could not create "Extensions.mkext"

Can anyone help me? I would really like to be able to control my sound!!

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

hi pcrew,

could you post a more recent version of such modified VoodooHDA based on latest voodooHDA_256 taken from projectosx forum ? http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=483

This VoodooHDA has better support of all codecs or if you find an even better VoodooHDA than that can you please update this PCM-to-Volume modification to it ?

Thanks!

Mal

*UPDATE*

I modified and compiled it by myself with such modifications for Snow Leopard 32/64 bit. It's based on voodooHDA.kext version .256 .

*UPDATE*

...same for version .261 . It show as 260, just cosmetic , like in unmodified voodooHDA .261, but trust me: it's based on latest voodooHDA 261.

I try to keep it updated as soon as new and improved VoodooHDA versions will be out. The new 261 version gives me less kernel panics at startup. It seems a lot better here that 256 version that crashed sometimes while booting.

I tested on my hp laptop and it works. It works on all devices that have a "digital" volume control (not an "analog"/mechanic one like in toshiba A100 and similars) and on all devices where pcmDevice slider (in voodooHDA pref pane) acts on VolumeControl.

In the future (when i will have some time) I will try to improve it to have a smoother volume control(not reactive just after the first half of the cursor).

Please give me feedback for it if it works or not for you.

Thanks,

Mal

VoodooHDA_256_HP_HDX18.kext.zip

VoodooHDA_261_HP_HDX18.kext.zip

Both the 32 bit version on the first page and that 64/32 bit version do not change anything for me on my Toshiba Satellite A100 -- The volume control / slider does not adjust the volume at all when changed, the output is always maxed.

It has the Realtek ALC861 soundcard, and I have a copy of the linux codec dump if someone requests it :(

Any help is appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Toshiba Satellite A100 has a hardware mechanical volume control if i am not wrong, hasn't it ? Have you got a wheel that ends and starts or is it an "endless" wheel?

Mal

Both the 32 bit version on the first page and that 64/32 bit version do not change anything for me on my Toshiba Satellite A100 -- The volume control / slider does not adjust the volume at all when changed, the output is always maxed.

It has the Realtek ALC861 soundcard, and I have a copy of the linux codec dump if someone requests it :P

Any help is appreciated.

Well after lurking for a while, I decided to register just so I could download the needed file and also say a big THANK YOU!!! Volume control works fine now, I am very happy...it was the one issue that really bugged me with my 10.6.3 Dell XPS 9000. :|

So a big thank you to everyone who helps out the noob, it is much appreciated!

I needed to make this change too but I found that it made the volume too low. I got a copy of the source from another branch and made a change similar to what was suggested here. I modified and added the following line

mDevice->audioCtlOssMixerSet(pcmDevice, SOUND_MIXER_PCM, newValue, newValue);

in VoodooHDAEngine.cpp in the volumeChanged method - right before the "break;" that comes after the "case SOUND_MIXER_VOLUME". For my card, it turned out that the device that needed to be changed was SOUND_MIXER_PCM, not SOUND_MIXER_VOLUME. I'm sure that's not exactly the right way to do it either, but it does have close to the right effect. It's not perfect because the volume is still too low but it's good enough. Here's my kext: VoodooHDA.kext.zip

• 1 month later...
I needed to make this change too but I found that it made the volume too low. I got a copy of the source from another branch and made a change similar to what was suggested here. I modified and added the following line
				mDevice->audioCtlOssMixerSet(pcmDevice, SOUND_MIXER_PCM, newValue, newValue);

in VoodooHDAEngine.cpp in the volumeChanged method - right before the "break;" that comes after the "case SOUND_MIXER_VOLUME". For my card, it turned out that the device that needed to be changed was SOUND_MIXER_PCM, not SOUND_MIXER_VOLUME. I'm sure that's not exactly the right way to do it either, but it does have close to the right effect. It's not perfect because the volume is still too low but it's good enough. Here's my kext: VoodooHDA.kext.zip

Thanks. Your kext solved my problems with the sound after the sleep. And now the sound is higher than before. I suggest you to download the Vodoo HDA prefpane and voodoo HDA Helper because in the prefpane you can make the volume even higher (from 80% to 100% of the sound in windows). There is one other annoying problem: the mute doesn't work. In the previous kext was fixed by pcrew. Do you know how to fix it? Can you do it?

@pcrew: please explain how you fixed the mute problem

Mobo: Asus P7P55 LX with VIA VT1708S. I can get sound using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] VoodooHDA 0.2.61 & AppleHDA 10.6.2 Rollback. but without volume control on my keyboard. Have tried the 64 bit kext on page 2 but it does not work. I get no sound if I use that kext. What should I do?

Very strange. I boot into 32 bit to test something out and then back into 64 bit and now it works. I can control the volume with my keyboard buttons. Thanks guys.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I tried using this. When placing it into /S/L/E, it breaks my sound so it doesn't work at all.

I tried putting it in /E/E and same thing.

So I tried reinstalling VoodooHDA from their website, but my system gives the circle with a line through it while booting and never loads into the OS. I ended up booting from the OSX installation dvd and, using Terminal, was able to copy back the VoodooHDA.kext from my backup. The system then booted normally.

Any ideas?