1,149 posts in this topic

From my notes:

0. Install current chameleon rc5 to osx 10.6 installation or a thumb drive

1. Mount 10.7 image

2. open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg

3. Run disk utility

4. select restore

5. select 'Mac OS X Base System' as source

select a partition on usb thumb drive as destination, where partition has >= 5GB of space

6. Remove “Packages” alias from System/Installation on the partition you just set up

7. cp -R /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation

8. cp /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/mach_kernel /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/

I did my initial installs on a GPT partitioned disk, so I didn't have to use a patched OSInstall.

I later imaged the working installed 10.7 partition to an MBR based disk, as I still need MBR to boot windows.

Thanks bcc9, I did the exactly same, and processed a little further. Now the system hangs at this last output:

(...)

DSMOS has arrived

NVEthernet: Ethernet address [my mac id]

00000000 00000020 NVEthernet::setLinkStatus - not Active

Is this a type of "DSMOS has arrived" error that some people have seen, or something else? I'll see if the DSMOS related fixes make any sense.

Is this a type of "DSMOS has arrived" error that some people have seen, or something else? I'll see if the DSMOS related fixes make any sense.

What fixes are you alluding to?

I suspect your next stumbling blocks would be not using the smbios.plist&com.apple.boot.plist changes I recommended for lion. Should be detailed in my earlier posts in this thread.

Hi all,

First I would like to thank all members for their always helpful questions and answers. I particularly thanks bcc9: actually he's my 'GURU'.

I installed Lion from scratch (you find my hardware in signature): everything works like a charme with 3 minor bugs; minor but annoying bugs.

The used DSDT is the last released by bcc9 and I carefully followed all notes about parameters (I use Chameleon 2.1s svn-r1684), kexts, patching, etc.

- Bluetooth icon in menu bar: Is there a way to enable/disable bluetooth and/or change its status (discoverable/hidden) using the drop-down menu? In icon menu such options are always grayed so I have always to go into System Preferences.

- Serial ATA: Using Lion I read 'Unknown AHCI Standard Controller' in System Profiler. I know... it's a cosmetic thing but in SL (until Rel. 10.6.7) I got the right description 'MCP79 Nvidia Controller'.

(Note: I've already checked that AppleAHCIPort.kext contains the right string).

Is there a possible solution?

- Battery and Energy status: Here is the strangest behavior.

When I boot my laptop using its AC adadper I see that laptop is using battery but with the highest screen brightness (!)

At this point, if I unplug the AC adapter, System Profiler shows that laptop uses its battery automatically lowering the screen brightness.

Now, if I replug the AC adapter, System Profiler shows that laptop uses main power automatically readjusting the screen brightness.

Do you know in which way could I solve that behavior?

Where am I wrong?

Could it due to the graphic adapter or wrong smbios.plist?

(it's Nvidia 9500M - Note: Using OpenGL Extension Viewer in Lion 10.6.7 I get 850 fps!! In SL I got 420 fps)

(Smbios.plist refers to MacBook Pro 5,5 middle 2009)

Anyway I can't get the estimated battery residual time or other infos about (battery icon always shows an "X"): could you confirm that it's due to voodoobattery kext? (I use rel 1.3.3)

I apologize for the long post (hoping nobody posted the above in the past…) and I thank in advance for a possible feedback. :-))

Hi all,

First I would like to thank all members for their always helpful questions and answers. I particularly thanks bcc9: actually he's my 'GURU'.

Hey, thanks a lot. Good to hear from someone using 10.7 successfully with a 9500m.
- Bluetooth icon in menu bar: Is there a way to enable/disable bluetooth and/or change its status (discoverable/hidden) using the drop-down menu? In icon menu such options are always grayed so I have always to go into System Preferences.
Not sure; I always just use the antenna hotkey (with BIOS set to WAN&WPAN), to turn the hardware on&off when I want to control bluetooth as well.
- Serial ATA: Using Lion I read 'Unknown AHCI Standard Controller' in System Profiler. I know... it's a cosmetic thing but in SL (until Rel. 10.6.7) I got the right description 'MCP79 Nvidia Controller'.
This one should show up named if you s/SAT0/SATA/ in your dsdt.

I didn't bother with such purely cosmetic changes in the dsdt I made. The complete set of patches I'm aware of would be:

#patch #9: Cosmetic device name changes

,s/MAC0/GIGE/

,s/MTH0/MATH/

,s/SMB0/SBUS/

,s/SAT0/SATA/

#requires ssdt9 change

,s/LPC0/LPCB/

,s/P2P0/PCIB/

- Battery and Energy status: Here is the strangest behavior.

When I boot my laptop using its AC adadper I see that laptop is using battery but with the highest screen brightness (!)

At this point, if I unplug the AC adapter, System Profiler shows that laptop uses its battery automatically lowering the screen brightness.

Now, if I replug the AC adapter, System Profiler shows that laptop uses main power automatically readjusting the screen brightness.

Do you know in which way could I solve that behavior?

Where am I wrong?

? Sounds like correct behavior for the screen brightness. I don't have a 1340 with me this week to try and follow exactly what you're seeing.

(it's Nvidia 9500M - Note: Using OpenGL Extension Viewer in Lion 10.6.7 I get 850 fps!! In SL I got 420 fps)
lion 10.6? I think you are trying to say you're getting lower performance with 10.7. If so, I wonder whether or not you're using the 9400m_gstate_inject.kext I posted or one of oleg's versions. The AGPM changes may be adversely affecting performance.
Anyway I can't get the estimated battery residual time or other infos about (battery icon always shows an "X"): could you confirm that it's due to voodoobattery kext? (I use rel 1.3.3)

I apologize for the long post (hoping nobody posted the above in the past…) and I thank in advance for a possible feedback. :-))

Battery status failing to show implies you don't have my 10.7 DSDT loaded or my patch to AppleACPIPlatform applied.

THANK YOU SO MUCH... it worked perfect in my dsdt, now I have battery support in Lion & Snow, so this is certainly "the real fix" as you said my friend. Also I want to say, THANK YOU AGAIN for all your contributions, Legend. God bless you.

Juanerson I have seen you have successfuly patched your DSDT to show the battery status on your GM965, my mobo is PM965 which should be very similar to yours.

I must admint that I don't really understand much of DSDT patching so that unless I follow instruction I will not be able to amend it my self.

Can you please point me in the direction of what needs to be done to show the battery status?

Thanks and Regards

My dsdt is attached

What fixes are you alluding to?

I suspect your next stumbling blocks would be not using the smbios.plist&com.apple.boot.plist changes I recommended for lion. Should be detailed in my earlier posts in this thread.

I meant the NullCPUPM kext, but it didn't work for me either. Tried changing smbios.plist with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] utilities, but it didn't make any difference (changed the computer name to Macbook3,1). Also used your new DSDT for lion, but still stuck at the same point. anyways, i'm thinking that this is not a DSMOS related issue as something about ethernet configuration shows up after "DSMOS has arrived" message.

This is the last lines before my system gets stuck:

(...)

DSMOS has arrived

NVEthernet: Ethernet address [my mac id]

00000000 00000020 NVEthernet::setLinkStatus - not Active

Ethernet [nvenet]: Link up on en0, 100-Megabit, Full-duplex, Symmetric flow-control, Debug [796d,0000,0c01,000d,cde1,3c00]

05f5e100 00100026 NVEthernet::setLinkStatus - Active

Ethernet [nvenet]: Link up on en0, 100-Megabit, Full-duplex, Symmetric flow-control, Debug [796d,0000,0c01,000d,cde1,3c00]

05f5e100 00100026 NVEthernet::setLinkStatus - Active

here is the screenshot of the verbose output, as well: http://imgur.com/UvQrH

I tried searching for the same error but apparently no one is stuck at this point. So I seek help from you, bcc9 :D

So what do your smbios.plist & com.apple.boot.plist look like at this point? I recommend you follow my 10.7 directions, not using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], nullcpupm, or the like. I can't really know what went wrong when you're using other 3rd party solutions.

To whoever, I had a question.

There was a APGM kext posted a few pages back that claimed to improve battery life and whatnot. A few posts after that, there were a few 9400m_inject kexts or something too.

Well, which one should I use, and do I just install it normally like I would any other kext?

To whoever, I had a question.

There was a APGM kext posted a few pages back that claimed to improve battery life and whatnot. A few posts after that, there were a few 9400m_inject kexts or something too.

Well, which one should I use, and do I just install it normally like I would any other kext?

I still recommend & am using the version I posted:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1743068

oleg seems to be doing something different, but is using a different dsdt from king for which I found no functional difference:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1744918

So what do your smbios.plist & com.apple.boot.plist look like at this point? I recommend you follow my 10.7 directions, not using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], nullcpupm, or the like. I can't really know what went wrong when you're using other 3rd party solutions.

here's my smbios.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<string>02/29/08</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MP31.88Z.006C.B05.0802291410</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>MacPro</string>
<key>SMmanufacter</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacPro3,1</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>G88014V4XYK</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F42C88C8</string>
</dict>
</plist>

and here's my com.apple.Boot.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(0,4)</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>
<key>PCIRootUID</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>PciRoot</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>Quiet Boot</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I am using your instructions, by the way

Um, no you aren't. For starters: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1766745 "As of 10.7, you should have a SystemId defined as the 1340 doesn't have a UUID defined in its SMBIOS and booting hangs for a minute or so without it."

and: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1736543 "be sure to configure <key>GraphicsEnabler</key><string>Yes</string> ... in your com.apple.Boot.plist"

Given those two mistakes, it's no wonder you can't boot. Those are not optional config settings!

also your Kernel flags and SMproductname are not as I recommended, and you have other keys in there that I never recommended.

Hi bcc9

I have a lenovo G460 running 10.7.2 and the battery works only with appleacpiplatform.kext from 10.6.8. I have attached my DSDT. Would be very thankful if u suggest any solutions. :(

I don't have time to modify 3rd party DSDTs for others, but you just need to follow my guidelines regarding converting ACPI EC battery access methods from using 16-bit IO to 8-bit IO. I have detailed how I did this for my system. http://www.projectos...indpost&p=15697

There are also now other threads that go into this in more detail (mostly not giving credit where credit is due on how to convert 16-bit IO to 8-bit, grr). For example: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=264597

and http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=272459

QUOTE (aliveli123 @ Nov 21 2011, 10:38 AM)

Um, no you aren't. For starters: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1766745 "As of 10.7, you should have a SystemId defined as the 1340 doesn't have a UUID defined in its SMBIOS and booting hangs for a minute or so without it."

and: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1736543 "be sure to configure <key>GraphicsEnabler</key><string>Yes</string> ... in your com.apple.Boot.plist"

Given those two mistakes, it's no wonder you can't boot. Those are not optional config settings!

also your Kernel flags and SMproductname are not as I recommended, and you have other keys in there that I never recommended.

OK, this time, I tried your org.chameleon.boot.plist and smbios.plist. created an UUID and used it in the boot.plist. also tried graphicsenabler, but placing it to org.chameleon.boot.plist causes my SL system to panic (You need to restart your computer screen). Do you have any idea why this happens?

anyways, i entered graphicsenabler=yes thru chameleon while booting from my usb stick, but it still stays stuck at the dsmos has arrived + nvethernet stuff. As I used legacy kexts for ACPIPlatform & IOPCIFamily, I'm thinking this might be related to that since there are some people who said they are stuck at dsmos has arrived after using legacy kexts. (haven't seen any solutions for that specific case, though)

OK, this time, I tried your org.chameleon.boot.plist and smbios.plist. created an UUID and used it in the boot.plist. also tried graphicsenabler=yes, but placing it to org.chameleon.boot.plist causes my SL system to panic (You need to restart your computer screen). Do you have any idea why this happens?

anyways, i entered graphicsenabler=yes thru chameleon while booting from my usb stick, but it still stays stuck at the dsmos has arrived + nvethernet stuff. As I used legacy kexts for ACPIPlatform & IOPCIFamily, I'm thinking this might be related to that since there are some people who said they are stuck at dsmos has arrived after using legacy kexts. (haven't seen any solutions for that specific case, though)

-v should show issues while booting.

makes it easier to not guess.

OK, this time, I tried your org.chameleon.boot.plist and smbios.plist. created an UUID and used it in the boot.plist. also tried graphicsenabler, but placing it to org.chameleon.boot.plist causes my SL system to panic (You need to restart your computer screen). Do you have any idea why this happens?

Hard to do anything but guess without details from the panic message. As a guess, the most common reason for a panic is corrupt kext cache, and booting chameleon with the ignore kext cache flag set clears things up.

In any case, I'm getting confused about what you're doing as you say 10.6 is panic-ing but you're following 10.7 instructions. There is a new thread for 10.7 now, if you're really just concerned with 10.7 it'd be best to post there. Also a couple other users with A15 BIOS are reporting their systems hanging when booting 10.7, I wonder if you're using A15 BIOS too?

Hard to do anything but guess without details from the panic message. As a guess, the most common reason for a panic is corrupt kext cache, and booting chameleon with the ignore kext cache flag set clears things up.

In any case, I'm getting confused about what you're doing as you say 10.6 is panic-ing but you're following 10.7 instructions. There is a new thread for 10.7 now, if you're really just concerned with 10.7 it'd be best to post there. Also a couple other users with A15 BIOS are reporting their systems hanging when booting 10.7, I wonder if you're using A15 BIOS too?

No, I'm using A14. Updating kext cache did not solve the panic.

On another note, I've upgraded to 10.6.8 just now and touchpad stopped working. why would that happen?

No, I'm using A14. Updating kext cache did not solve the panic.

On another note, I've upgraded to 10.6.8 just now and touchpad stopped working. why would that happen?

And the panic message indicates?

If your touchpad isn't working, then the kext didn't load. What error message do you get when you try to load it by hand? In my experience this is always either due to a kext install problem (wrong permissions) or a bad kext cache.

And the panic message indicates?

If your touchpad isn't working, then the kext didn't load. What error message do you get when you try to load it by hand? In my experience this is always either due to a kext install problem (wrong permissions) or a bad kext cache.

I couldn't find the panic log in Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports, where should I look?

btw, touchpad issue was resolved after running kextutility.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so I'm having a problem on 10.6.8. If I boot with a DSDT, the boot up stalls at "DSMOS has arrived". If I boot without the DSDT and with GraphicsEnabler=No, then I will actually boot up to the desktop, but I have no real video driver, so videos don't work and no acceleration. Then, if I boot with no DSDT and with GraphicsEnabler=Yes, it boots up as normal and then when it tries to boot to the desktop, I just get a black screen.

Any ideas?

Which DSDT are you trying? If you're using the one from post #1 in this thread, you shouldn't need GraphicsEnabler; the injection strings are in the DSDT. The newer DSDTs I built for 10.7 leave out the injection strings (and so you use GraphicsEnabler=yes instead).