[HOW TO] Install Darwine on 10.4.6

71 posts in this topic

I have tried to use several windows programs, primarily Bridge Base Online, that did not come with Darwine, but have had some issues. I followed the directions given in the first post (as of Feb 14, 2007). With each program I have tried, the installation crashes at exactly the point where it begins writing the files to disk. Notepad has no prblems writing to the disk, but these installation programs won't. I have tried installing to ~/.wine/drive_c (c:), /Users/Me (y:), and / (z:), but every time, the installation crashes. Any idea what is up?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

I tried to run an executable (which should download windows XP from a Server at University). Unfortunately it doesnt work. Can anybody help me?

The example Programs work perfect.

wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0xffffffff at address 0x8fe12f84 (thread 0009), starting debugger...
Can't attach process 8: error 5
unemÏ

Hey, everything is OK apart from registry functionality. I keep getting this error:

wineserver: could not save registry branch to /Users/dan/.wine/system.reg : Permission denied

: Permission denied

also :

:~/.wine dan$ touch system.reg

touch: system.reg: Permission denied

:~/.wine dan$ sudo touch system.reg

Password:

r:~/.wine dan$

so it needs to be ran as root?

Any easy fixes?

Im a new mac user, so explain things in retard terms :dev:

• 1 month later...

i followed the steps and things seem to be okay. i didn't see anything on the terminal that would indecate otherwise. Freetype installed alright. but my problem come with "Winehelper." i have it in the applications folder, but when i double click it, it says

"You cannot open the application "WineHelper" because it is not supported on this system."

It says this even for the programs in the Wine Apps.

I don't know what to do. Help!!!

also do i keep winetempz on the desktop?

• 2 months later...

hello,

I'm new to this forum, and this may sound silly, but I can's get the download to work for the following link:

http://darwine.opendarwin.org/download.php

Has the link been broken or is there a problem with a file? Could somebody just email me the file? If someone said yes to the last question my email address is airman122469@aim.com

thanks,

Aaron Law

Its ok now, I solved it installing the latest freetype.

How did you get Freetype 2.05 to install in JaS 10.4.8? Did you have to setup Xcode tools? I have version 2.1 from the old Marklar-Tiger.dmg 10.4.1 DVD; will this be okay to use? I tried everything mentioned on page 4 of this thread about installing Darwine on OS X 10.4.5, but it did NOT work for me. Also, i installed Fink, and fetched freetype2 from there, but it still does NOT fix the problem. Darwine gives me the 'needs freetype 2.05' error again. I believe i need freetype 2.05 , because a windows program i want to run loads, but displays gibberish sometimes. I 'm thinking this could be due to the fact freetype 2.05 is NOT installed, right? I'd really appreciate it if someone could post or PM me a pre-compiled Freetype 2.05 installer, so i can setup it up myself.

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm new here.

Just going thrugh the original post... I had gone thrugh step 2, and at that point, all program menus and program text (though not text that I actually typed in notepad) became just strange symbols, like boxes and circles. How do I get it working right?

Also, where exactly on the mac harddrive are programs installed?

And, is it normal for there to be errors on most programs I try to open?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've used Crossover and Darwine and i cant run CPU-Z! CrossOver seems to run very little but was a breezz to install and get up and running. Darwine is killing me.

In installed i followed the guide bang on. all demo app (clock,notebook...etc) run fine... but why nothing else. i just get this error.

fixme:actctx:CreateActCtxW 0x20f3fc68 00000088

wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0xffffffff at address 0x8fe12f94 (thread 0009), starting debugger...

Can't attach process 8: error 5

”¡±°

I used Fink to install truetype. that was great but i dont know what version it installed.. any help there? i see my Log is asking about this....

Wine cannot find the FreeType font library. To enable Wine to

use TrueType fonts please install a version of FreeType greater than

or equal to 2.0.5.

http://www.freetype.org

Please throw me a bone.

cheers.

i get the icon color error, someone knows whats the problem? i have x11 xcode tools everything pls i really need this to work i need a windows application that my isp provides so my internet connection works.. now i'm on vista.. oh yeah i get that error only with this app

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...