What about new releases? OSx86 dieing?

Hecke92

54 posts in this topic

?

Lol

All you need to make a retail install is a cdboot (cdboot-132, PCefi cdboot, chameleon cdboot), a retail Leopard DVD, kext helper, and the pkg for installing chameleon. All of then have graphical interfaces.

No need for typing anything.

I don't understand why is so many people afraid of the terminal. Probably if you wanted to do all that using the terminal you woulnd't need to know more than 3-4 different commands (all of which are explained if you type "man whatever_command_is" in the terminal)

Anyway I really think people who see MacOS X installation so "hard" on generic hardware should really buy the real stuff.

And just a small clarification about the joke in your signature. I think the point of most signatures here is to let know other users what hardware you have easily so they can help you or you can help them if they have the same as you and you already have it working.

I have a retail DVD, kext helper, latest Chameleon pkg that i don't know how to open it and what to do with it, and i have absolutely no idea what cdboot is.

Well, i can tell you why i don't like the terminal, i hate doing things without knowing exactly what i'm doing. I don't know how OSX boot sequence works, what's flagging partitions means, what's dsmos.kext, what exactly SMBIOS does, what's the deal with the infamous AppleACPIPlatform, what's the difference between boot.plist and boot.slist, what EFI strings are and what they do, what's DSDT Injection, etc...

However, i've been using Kalyway iDeneb and some other distros quite successfully on different computers without knowing all the stuff mentioned above, and everything works great except software updates. I agree that people who find it really hard installing OSX on a PC should buy a real Mac, but for me using distros is really easy and i always get great results using this method.

I have a retail DVD, kext helper, latest Chameleon pkg that i don't know how to open it and what to do with it, and i have absolutely no idea what cdboot is.

Well, i can tell you why i don't like the terminal, i hate doing things without knowing exactly what i'm doing. I don't know how OSX boot sequence works, what's flagging partitions means, what's dsmos.kext, what exactly SMBIOS does, what's the deal with the infamous AppleACPIPlatform, what's the difference between boot.plist and boot.slist, what EFI strings are and what they do, what's DSDT Injection, etc...

However, i've been using Kalyway iDeneb and some other distros quite successfully without knowing all the stuff mentioned above, and everything i ever need works great except software updates. I agree that people who find it really hard installing OSX on a PC should buy a real Mac, but for me using distros is really easy and i always get great results using this method.

What about spending a couple of hours searching the information you need? Distros perfomance, stability and reliability are non comparable to what you get with a proper retail installation.

You don't need to know how osx boot sequence works, you don't need to flag any partition, dsmos.kext is the kext that decryptes apple binaries (needed to boot), you don't need to know or worry about AppleACPIPlatform, I have never seen the "boot.slist" file in osx, EFI strings allows your VGA card to work and other stuff to work (can be created graphically), DSDT injection only requires from you to double click an icon or use a graphical application in Windows.

I think you are a bit confused because of so many outdated/wrong tutorials in insanelymac. But believe me, is MUCH easier than you think. And the results are way better than the best of the distros can get.

I think you are a bit confused because of so many outdated/wrong tutorials in insanelymac. But believe, is MUCH easier than you think. And the results are way better than the best of the distros can get.
I so hope that this is the case, because spending months on reading all the 30+ pages long tutorials in the sticky threads here on Insanelymac only makes me more confused than i was in the beginning. If you can recommend me some places where i can get updated information about all this stuff or at least point me in the right direction, it will be very appreciated. I come from OS9 background and i know exactly what each and every file in the System Folder does, but this knowledge seems to be completely useless when it comes to OSX because of how different things work here...

IMHO, as someone who has used both "distros" and Boot-132 approaches to install OS X on x86 PCs.....

1. The Boot-132 CD/HDD/USB stick + Retail DVD approach does not as yet work easily/readily with all non-Intel chipset MOBOs......e.g. nForce+Intel....although I have produced an nForceBoot132.iso image that I can successfully run with

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v boot-uuid=10.5.6 Retail DVD uuid

to get into the Retail OS X 10.5.6 DVD installer to install 10.5.6 Retail on a HDD partitioned/formatted as GPT/HFS+, with Chameleon 2.0 RC1 as the HDD bootloader.....

2. Not every one has a Retail DVD to hand and/or access to an Intel Mac, or Hack, or Live Leopard OS X DVD........e.g. as hecker says

we can't create the ISO file on any other OS than OS X (I have been unable to find a way to do it on Windows or Linux yet).

The only practical solution is to download one of the pre-patched distros, install and create the ISO from there. This should be possible because you don't need any graphic accelerators, network, sound or any other peripherical funcionality other than your keyboard and mouse.

There is, I believe, also a live version of OS X around which could be used.

This tutorial was intended to be used by those who already have a non-retail OS X system running and wish to use the EFI boot for it's many advantages (like updating and keeping the main system untouched).

3. For some non-vanilla system configurations, it is probable that a customized patched distro on a single DVD will remain the most convenient/user-friendly option for many users......

I so hope that this is the case, because spending months on reading all the 30+ pages long tutorials in the sticky threads here on Insanelymac only makes me more confused than i was in the beginning. If you can recommend me some places where i can get updated information about all this stuff or at least point me in the right direction, it will be very appreciated. I come from OS9 background and i know exactly what each and every file in the System Folder does, but this knowledge seems to be completely useless when it comes to OSX because of how different things work here...

I think the answer is not reading tutorials, they often get outdated and have incorrect procedings.

The basics to install MacOS X are:

- A cdboot

- A retail dvd

- dsmos.kext (to decrypt the binaries), disabler.kext (to turn off a couple of conflictive kexts), openhaltrestart.kext (to make osx able to restart and shutdown), UUID.kext (to solve UUID errors)

- Chameleon 2 RC2 (or other bootloader)

- The specific drivers for the rest of your hardware (they are not so hard to find in insanelymac)

- EFI Studio (to create the EFI string for your VGA, and your ethernet card so you have a proper hardware ID)

- DSDT Fixer (to fix problematic bioses)

That is it. Maybe the list seems long, but believe me it's not so hard. And everything can be made without typing a single line in the terminal.

On the other hand, the source of most problems in OS X is it seems people still don't understand the main point with OS X is not to adapt the system to your hardware, but the opposite. If you want to be able to run OS X properly you have to get the most compatible hardware.

This is also one of the reasons which makes very difficult to create a proper tutorial. People is trying to run OSX in very different hardware, and most of the times in hardware that is not really suited for OSX (nvidia/via chipsets, amd cpu's, non compatible audio/ethernet chips, motherboards without native AHCI support).

I could write a tutorial explaining how to properly make a retail osx installation, the problem is it would be based on the most compatible hardware.

I think the answer is not reading tutorials, they often get outdated and have incorrect procedings.

The basics to install MacOS X are:

- A cdboot

- A retail dvd

- dsmos.kext (to decrypt the binaries), disabler.kext (to turn off a couple of conflictive kexts), openhaltrestart.kext (to make osx able to restart and shutdown), UUID.kext (to solve UUID errors)

- Chameleon 2 RC2 (or other bootloader)

- The specific drivers for the rest of your hardware (they are not so hard to find in insanelymac)

- EFI Studio (to create the EFI string for your VGA, and your ethernet card so you have a proper hardware ID)

- DSDT Fixer (to fix problematic bioses)

That is it. Maybe the list seems long, but believe me it's not so hard. And everything can be made without typing a single line in the terminal.

Cdboot? What's this? Downloaded couple of Boot-132 versions but they didn't seem to work.

I have a legit retail version of 10.5.2 that comes with my MacBook Pro, it's a set of 2 DVD's.

And the latest Chameleon version "Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640.pkg.zip" that i don't know how to use.

I have no problem getting all the kexts, and i already have a collection of drivers for my hardware.

EFI Studio - i have it, but never had to use it because it wasn't necessary.

DSDT Fixer - i'll google for it rigt now.

My hardware list is: Asus P5K-E, Q6600, nVidia 7300 GT, RME 9632 soundcard (i disabled the AD1988B card in BIOS because i don't use it) , SATA hard drive and DVDR, additional IDE hard drive on jMicron, PS2 keyboard and USB mouse. That's it basically. At the moment i'm using iDeneb 10.5.4 with Vanilla kernel.

Cdboot? What's this? Downloaded couple of Boot-132 versions but they didn't seem to work.

I have a legit retail version of 10.5.2 that comes with my MacBook Pro, it's a set of 2 DVD's.

And the latest Chameleon version "Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640.pkg.zip" that i don't know how to use.

I have no problem getting all the kexts, and i already have a collection of drivers for my hardware.

EFI Studio - i have it, but never had to use it because it wasn't necessary.

DSDT Fixer - i'll google for it rigt now.

My hardware list is: Asus P5K-E, Q6600, nVidia 7300 GT, RME 9632 soundcard (i disabled the AD1988B card in BIOS because i don't use it) , SATA hard drive and DVDR, additional IDE hard drive on jMicron, PS2 keyboard and USB mouse. That's it basically. At the moment i'm using iDeneb 10.5.4 with Vanilla kernel.

All a cdboot needs to work on compatible hardware are dsmos.kext and disabler.kext. Then according on how compatible is your hardware you'll need a fixed DSDT.aml and/or kernel. If you are not using an usb keyboard you'll also need voodoops2.kext.

The sata controller must support AHCI and it must be activated on the bios. Jmicron controllers are not a good idea..they are quite unstable.

The Dvd's which came with your macbook pro are not retail, they are restoration discs, and they won't work without modifiying them. You need a retail disc. The one you can buy at an Apple Store. With EFI Studio or OSX86 Tools you don't have to use nvinject/nvkush/etc anymore, and you can set your ethernet card properly as internal (neccesary in order to run and register many commercial software).

So if i put dsmos.kext and disabler.kext into the Extras folder on Boot-132, do i have to put all the other kexts for my hardware like Network card drivers and Chipset drivers and everything else as well? What's fixed DSDT.aml and why and how should i fix it?

My SATA controller always runs in AHCi mode, and i don't use the Jmicron controller for booting anyway, i use it for storage only.

It's a little bit disappointing that i can't use my Macbook DVD without modifications, but i can borrow a retail DVD from my mate (i'm sure he has one) or just buy it from Apple. So what you saying regarding injection of EFI strings, is that i can use them instead of my video/network/audio kexts and such, or in addition to them?

So if i put dsmos.kext and disabler.kext into the Extras folder on Boot-132, do i have to put all the other kexts for my hardware like Network card drivers and Chipset drivers and everything else as well?
No. They are not neccesary to run the installer, and a first clean boot before installing the kexts on the real installed system.
What's fixed DSDT.aml and why and how should i fix it?
http://www.google.es/#hl=es&q=DSDT.aml...09ae20a7ce0d219

Just double click and follow the instructions.

My SATA controller always runs in AHCi mode, and i don't use the Jmicron controller for booting anyway, i use it for storage only.
IT still can make your entire os to kernel panic (specially if you have 4 or more gb of ram)

So what you saying regarding injection of EFI strings, is that i can use them instead of my video/network/audio kexts and such, or in addition to them?

You can completly replace your video kexts (and in somer cases the audio injector) with EFI strings, and it also allows your network card to be identified as internal and so having a proper hardware id (but you still need your network kext if is not supported out of the box in osx)

No. They are not neccesary to run the installer, and a first clean boot before installing the kexts on the real installed system.
Seen.

http://www.google.es/#hl=es&q=DSDT.aml...09ae20a7ce0d219

Just double click and follow the instructions.

Thanks!

IT still can make your entire os to kernel panic (specially if you have 4 or more gb of ram)
I have 2Gb at the moment. But if it's so problematic I have no problem to pull that IDE hard drive out, disable the Jmicron in BIOS and just forget about it's existence.

You can completly replace your video kexts (and in somer cases the audio injector) with EFI strings, and it also allows your network card to be identified as internal and so having a proper hardware id (but you still need your network kext if is not supported out of the box in osx)
I'm not entirely sure if anything in my setup is actually supported out of the box, because i always used to install a kext for each device...

Hey VooD,

I think it would be beneficial if you could write a generic guide to what you are talking about and post it. I know you have covered most points in here (and I think I could manage being a longtime Unix/Linux user), but it would be nice to have everything in one place.

I've always used iAtkos installs, but my hardware is very compatible from what I can tell (EP45-UD3R and Q6600). If I could use a retail DVD that would be awesome (since I have one!).

Hey VooD,

I think it would be beneficial if you could write a generic guide to what you are talking about and post it. I know you have covered most points in here (and I think I could manage being a longtime Unix/Linux user), but it would be nice to have everything in one place.

I've always used iAtkos installs, but my hardware is very compatible from what I can tell (EP45-UD3R and Q6600). If I could use a retail DVD that would be awesome (since I have one!).

All it takes is a little searching. There's a premade boot-132 .iso for your motherboard, on this page, specifically the link to it is here. For the EP45-UD3R.

It's excellent that you want to learn however, the main two boot-132 threads are the one I linked to above (for .iso's) and this one for general info.

On the other hand, the source of most problems in OS X is it seems people still don't understand the main point with OS X is not to adapt the system to your hardware, but the opposite. If you want to be able to run OS X properly you have to get the most compatible hardware.

This is also one of the reasons which makes very difficult to create a proper tutorial. People is trying to run OSX in very different hardware, and most of the times in hardware that is not really suited for OSX (nvidia/via chipsets, amd cpu's, non compatible audio/ethernet chips, motherboards without native AHCI support).

yes this is why there is "room for distros" extactly for ppl in this position. my comp meets all the conditions described above.^ and your first advice is to buy/build a comp that 'fits' an OSX hardware style...well, thats great advice for someone buying/building a new comp. im not buying new hardware just to get a "vanilla" OSX install. in order to get snow leopard working a "vanilla" install is not possible and i would be using the terminal alot. currently im using iDeneb 1.6 (10.5.6) and it works great! i only had to select the correct install options. this is why if i read another 'just install OSX "vanilla" post' i know that person is either a fool and/or has OSX friendly comp setup :)

yes this is why there is "room for distros" extactly for ppl in this position. my comp meets all the conditions described above.^ and your first advice is to buy/build a comp that 'fits' an OSX hardware style...well, thats great advice for someone buying/building a new comp. im not buying new hardware just to get a "vanilla" OSX install. in order to get snow leopard working a "vanilla" install is not possible and i would be using the terminal alot. currently im using iDeneb 1.6 (10.5.6) and it works great! i only had to select the correct install options. this is why if i read another 'just install OSX "vanilla" post' i know that person is either a fool and/or has OSX friendly comp setup :)

I have Snow Leopard working and I didn't have to replace any vanilla file. And about using terminal...you just have to use the terminal if you need the x86 version (which needs manual kextcache creation).

I'll explain why I stopped using "distros". Some time ago I used iatkos and apparently everything was working ok..that was until I decided to update via System Update. Suddenly the AHCI kext stopped working. I searched and searched, and I was not able to discover why was it failing...Then I learnt whas what happening, iatkos was using an ahci kext with a binary from tiger and a hacked plist from Leopard. After updating, the plist got modified and the versions, and the new dependencies and version numbers broke everything.

The point is, using distros you never know what is under the hood. You never know what files were modified, how and why. And that a very important source of potential problems which, in my case, I'm not willing to accept.

I have Snow Leopard working and I didn't have to replace any vanilla file. And about using terminal...you just have to use the terminal if you need the x86 version (which needs manual kextcache creation).

I'll explain why I stopped using "distros". Some time ago I used iatkos and apparently everything was working ok..that was until I decided to update via System Update. Suddenly the AHCI kext stopped working. I searched and searched, and I was not able to discover why was it failing...Then I learnt whas what happening, iatkos was using an ahci kext with a binary from tiger and a hacked plist from Leopard. After updating, the plist got modified and the versions, and the new dependencies and version numbers broke everything.

The point is, using distros you never know what is under the hood. You never know what files were modified, how and why. And that a very important source of potential problems which, in my case, I'm not willing to accept.

point well made & understood :)

however, although your right "You never know what files were modified, how and why." thats why you trust the group that assembled the install disc. i dont know about you but i d/l alot of stuff from the net that you trust cause of you "know" that person/group that created/posted it. so i disagree with you on that point. i would have no problems with a release by iDeneb(i never tested iAtkos) cause after many releases youve earned respect for a "quality" release.

point well made & understood :)

however, although your right "You never know what files were modified, how and why." thats why you trust the group that assembled the install disc. i dont know about you but i d/l alot of stuff from the net that you trust cause of you "know" that person/group that created/posted it. so i disagree with you on that point. i would have no problems with a release by iDeneb(i never tested iAtkos) cause after many releases youve earned respect for a "quality" release.

iAtkos also seemed trusted...then I found that they were mixing files from different versions. As I said, you never know what changes they did to the vanilla version, so I'll stick with retals installs :( . Also you don't have to wait for they to release a new version, or an update pack, you learn a bit about osx internals, and in most cases the installation is more complete and reliable.

Anyway is each one's choice, but I really believe, retail install is the way to go nowadays.

VooD

First of all thank you very much for taking your time to explain those things to a n00b like me, your explanations are very helpful and informative. :)

Thou I still don't entirely understand the difference between DSDT patching, EFI strings, and Injectors, but as far as i see all i need in order to set up a proper Boot-132 is a bootloader and a minimal set of kexts required to boot from a Retail OSX to install it on my hard drive. And then i can manually install all the other drivers (kexts) for my hardware, or alternatively use the EFI strings technique instead of installing kexts for audio/video/network devices. Please correct me if i wrong.

Two more questions, i've seen in other tutorials here that while putting kexts in Extra folder of Boot-132 you have to edit the .plist file... What this .plist file does, where do i locate this file, and what do i need to edit in it? And this UUID.kext, would it be enough to put this kext in my Extra folder or do i need to edit this kext first and use some UUID Generator in order to create a Unique User ID?

Yesterday i downloaded pcwiz Slimbuild and UInstaller that should simplify the creation of my cdboot, but before doing anything i have to fully understand the logic behind this process. Blindly following the (mostly quite misleading) step-by-step tutorials in here seems quite pointless to me, because i won't learn anything without understanding what exactly each step does and how things work.

VooD

First of all thank you very much for taking your time to explain those things to a n00b like me, your explanations are very helpful and informative. :D

Thou I still don't entirely understand the difference between DSDT patching, EFI strings, and Injectors, but as far as i see all i need in order to set up a proper Boot-132 is a bootloader and a minimal set of kexts required to boot from a Retail OSX to install it on my hard drive. And then i can manually install all the other drivers (kexts) for my hardware, or alternatively use the EFI strings technique instead of installing kexts for audio/video/network devices. Please correct me if i wrong.

Two more questions, i've seen in other tutorials here that while putting kexts in Extra folder of Boot-132 you have to edit the .plist file... What this .plist file does, where do i locate this file, and what do i need to edit in it? And this UUID.kext, would it be enough to put this kext in my Extra folder or do i need to edit this kext first and use some UUID Generator in order to create a Unique User ID?

Yesterday i downloaded pcwiz Slimbuild and UInstaller that should simplify the creation of my cdboot, but before doing anything i have to fully understand the logic behind this process. Blindly following the (mostly quite misleading) step-by-step tutorials in here seems quite pointless to me, because i won't learn anything without understanding what exactly each step does and how things work.

DSDT Patching: Most computers have BIOS's. Exceptions to this would be Macs which use EFI. This Differentiated System Descriptor Table contains the Differentiated Definition Block, which supplies the information and configuration information about the base system. It is always inserted into the ACPI Namespace by the OS at boot time. Hardware vendors can include support for different OS's (even different versions of the same OS, like Windows). When you patch your DSDT, you are not editing the BIOS itself, but it's the same effect as if you were, you are fixing errors/settings that are not optimal for your OS, and OS X can even have 'drivers' set in the DSDT so you don't need a kext/dev-prop strings.

Device Property Strings: Sometimes falsely called EFI strings, or GFX strings, they are used to inject information into the IORegistry of OS X, just like kext-based injectors. They are less flexible, and less easily edited than kexts.

Injector Kexts: The OS is run by the kernel, the software equivalent of a processor, every single instruction the OS receives or gives is sent through and by the kernel. In Linux, and in OS X, Kernel EXTensions (kexts, and kernel modules in Linux) provide extra device driver support for things that aren't built into the kernel by default. They provide extra functionality, usually always for a hardware piece, but sometimes just for software.

as far as i see all i need in order to set up a proper Boot-132 is a bootloader and a minimal set of kexts required to boot from a Retail OSX to install it on my hard drive. And then i can manually install all the other drivers (kexts) for my hardware, or alternatively use the EFI strings technique instead of installing kexts for audio/video/network devices. Please correct me if i wrong.

Correct.

Plists are property lists, they store serialized objects, mostly user settings, and they're not just for kexts, you can find them inside apps as well.

They're found inside of the .kext itself. You can use the GUI to get there. Right click the .kext, click "Show Package Contents". Double click the Contents folder (not all of them have this folder), and the Info.plist is there.

To edit it, you have to be root, so use the terminal (I always use nano) and type:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/Example.kext/Contents/Info.plist

. Alternatively, you can open Text Edit as root.

sudo open -a textedit /System/Library/Extensions/Example.kext/Contents/Info.plist

(offhand I can't remember if textedit is one word or too, I'm in Linux atm, not OS X. If it is two words, then it's text\ edit )

UUID: You already have a UUID, it's on the partition. It's just a matter of getting the OS to see it in all the places it needs to.

Right click UUID.kext > show package contents

Edit info plist and change 0016174EE065 to your MAC address (without colons) under:

IOKitPersonalities

Generic

CFBundleIdentifier

com.free.driver.UUID

IOClass

UUID

IOMatchCategory

UUID

IOProviderClass

IOPlatformExpertDevice

IOResourceMatch

SMBIOS

UUID-key

00000000-0000-1000-8000-0016174EE065

find your MAC address by typing

ifconfig -a

. it's a series of 6 sections of 2 numbers/letters, (00:00:00:00:00:00) representing the hardware identifier of your network card.

Save and load the kext, after repairing permissions properly (not with disk utility).

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Extra/Extensions/UUID.kext && sudo chmod -R 755 /Extra/Extensions/UUID.kext && sudo kextload -t /Extra/Extensions/UUID.kext

Replace /Extra/Extensions with /System/Library/Extensions if you choose to use that directory instead.

You can also use a dev-prop string in your com.apple.Boot.plist to assist this process. To determine your UUID open Disk Utility select your OS X disk and click on info, or right click>info, and look for Universal Unique Identifier.

Copy this number and paste it into a boot-uuid=string in your boot.plist

i.e.

Code:

<key>boot-uuid</key>
<string>PasteHere</string>

-----------------------------------------

Learning is good, the graphical version of slimbuild/uinstaller do not support learning.

I have NForce4 mobo, AMD, no AHCI. I used Leo4All before and now iPC. When this retail install options first came i believe it was only possible on Intel and I didnt bother with it since my install was working fine anyway. I feel like by this point it would be hard to jump in because I would need some sort of general overview of what each step is trying to achieve. Plus I would not know what guide or thread is current or relevant.

hey vood , can you make a smiple giude to cover all the basics stuff about installing retail leopard

i read each topic here about it , and i just got more confused

if u could just post a topic to talk about the essential things you need to do to run it well?

for example , there are an app called SlimbuildGUI - BOOT 132 ISO Creator

i downloaded it and i didn't know what to do

the app itself is simple but what should i add to create the boot ??

what plist to add , and do i have to chose kernel ?

also can i backup the extension with osxtools 86 and just add it to the boot 132??

can i extract the needed kext from any distro and also add it to the boot cd??

as u see , i am so cofused so a simple guide will be so apreicated

N.B : i am running leopard 10.5.8 ( vanilla kernel ) on dell insprion 1525 with ubuntu and vista

hey vood , can you make a smiple giude to cover all the basics stuff about installing retail leopard

i read each topic here about it , and i just got more confused

if u could just post a topic to talk about the essential things you need to do to run it well?

for example , there are an app called SlimbuildGUI - BOOT 132 ISO Creator

i downloaded it and i didn't know what to do

the app itself is simple but what should i add to create the boot ??

what plist to add , and do i have to chose kernel ?

also can i backup the extension with osxtools 86 and just add it to the boot 132??

can i extract the needed kext from any distro and also add it to the boot cd??

as u see , i am so cofused so a simple guide will be so apreicated

N.B : i am running leopard 10.5.8 ( vanilla kernel ) on dell insprion 1525 with ubuntu and vista

Alright, here we go:

21ctgkl.png

Which one do i need to put into boot.plist?

The "en0" that appears in Terminal and Network/Ethernet, one of the other ones from Terminal, or the one from Disk Utility?