Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 driver

aroman

149 posts in this topic

i was trying to get iwi2200 to compile on my system, i worked out all the error messages during the make. still had a typedef mutex_t error, so i just commented it out

iwi_ieee80211defs.h: typedef mutex_t ieee802111_node_lock_t)

also,

in the instructions for compiling the firmware, its incorrect... it states:

$iwi2000/firmware> ./hex2string ipw-2.4-boot.fw iwi_boot > iwi_boot.fw.h

$iwi2000/firmware> ./hex2string ipw-2.4-ibss.fw iwi_ibss > iwi_ibss.fw.h

$iwi2000/firmware> ./hex2string ipw-2.4-bss_ucode.fw iwi_ucode_bss > iwi_ucode_bss.fw.h

but you also need to convert ipw-2.4-bss.fw

so you need to do..

$iwi2000/firmware> ./hex2string ipw-2.4-bss.fw iwi_bss > iwi_bss.fw.h

or else you will get errors upon the make...

hope this helps people out, then again, if your good enough to be working on the drivers, i'm sure you could have found this out yourself... but upon doing a ./load i recieved the error that was supposed to be given, yet nothing was logged to dmesg and no interfaces were added... strange :)

upon diagnosing with the command

sudo kextload -t iwi2200.kext we get...

osxibm:~/Desktop/iwi2200/build/Default jgilmour$ sudo kextload -t iwi2200.kext

kernel extension iwi2200.kext has problems:

Authentication failures:

{

"File owner/permissions are incorrect" = (

"/Users/jgilmour/Desktop/iwi2200/build/Default/iwi2200.kext"

"/Users/jgilmour/Desktop/iwi2200/build/Default/iwi2200.kext/Contents/Info.plist"

"/Users/jgilmour/Desktop/iwi2200/build/Default/iwi2200.kext/Contents"

"/Users/jgilmour/Desktop/iwi2200/build/Default/iwi2200.kext/Contents/MacOS/iwi2200"

"/Users/jgilmour/Desktop/iwi2200/build/Default/iwi2200.kext/Contents/MacOS"

)

}

Warnings:

{

"Kext has a kernel dependency prior to version 6.0 and CFBundleIdentifier does not match executable's MODULE_NAME" = true

}

Dependency errors seem to be in place, i'll see if ican correct and update.

after chown -R root:wheel'ing the directory i get the following:

root# kextload -t iwi2200.kext

kextload: extension iwi220.kext appears to be valid

kextload: iwi2200.kext loaded successfully

although nothing shows still in dmesg or ifconfig.... any ideas?

after chown -R root:wheel'ing the directory i get the following:

root# kextload -t iwi2200.kext

kextload: extension iwi220.kext appears to be valid

kextload: iwi2200.kext loaded successfully

although nothing shows still in dmesg or ifconfig.... any ideas?

Only this: implement the rest of the driver.

Basically, what you're seeing is that this is as far as aroman got with his code. If you download tuxx's code and compile that, you'll see that tuxx got a bit farther, but we're still a long way from a working kext.

I do have these hints for you. The easiest (but not easy) way to get this driver up and running is going to be by subclassing IOEthernetController (not IO80211 like aroman was attempting) because there is a lot more information out there about how to go that route. For example, you can download the Prism GT driver for hints as to what kind of routines need to be implemented for OS X.

As for the 2200BG side of it, tuxx had mentioned that he found the FreeBSD sources easier to work from.

As I see it, the "path of least resistance" to a working driver is going to be modifying the Prism GT source code so that it will talk to our hardware.

Hope this helps.

Edit - Ah. I see now that you're not actually a programmer. Never mind. :D

printf("programming makes me crazy\n");

:)

but i'll check out tuxx's src, i was looking at the ipw2200bg drivers for bsd, i saw only a few header files and a main .c file and was like 'wow, i can port this easy!!!' then i realized its like 9,000 lines of code in all of them lol.

• 2 weeks later...

great work all of you

i have tried to compile teh driver and came up with a new device detected in my preference pane

but it is'nt turned on

Here is what a get when i make a dmesg

iwi2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver, 
iwi2200: Copyright (c) 2005-2006 Joel Thomas
darwin_iwi2200 iomemory length: 0x1000 @ 0xb0006000
darwin_iwi2200 virt: 0x2946f000 physical: 0xb0006000
darwin_iwi2200 IRQ: 20, Vendor ID: 8086, Product ID: 4220
Medium is set to: 00000080
darwin_iwi2200: Ethernet address 00:12:f0:22:9d:fc
boot: 6464, ucode: 16326, bss: 168336
darwin_iwi2200: GotInterrupt: 0x 1000000		 (IWI_INTR_FW_INITED)
darwin_iwi2200: Interrupt::Firmware successfully loaded and initialized
darwin_iwi2200: Microcode OK, rev. 53594 (0xd15a) dev. 3 (0x3) of 11/22/04 20:27
darwin_iwi2200: GotInterrupt: 0x 1000000		 (IWI_INTR_FW_INITED)
darwin_iwi2200: Interrupt::Firmware successfully loaded and initialized
Configuring adapter
Setting power mode to 0
Setting RTS threshold to 100
Setting fragmentation threshold to 100
Setting .11bg supported rates (0)
Setting .11a supported rates (0)
Setting initialization vector to 305419896
Enabling adapter
Start scanning
darwin_iwi2200: GotInterrupt: 0x	 800		 (IWI_INTR_CMD_DONE)
darwin_iwi2200: GotInterrupt: 0x	   2		 (IWI_INTR_RX_DONE)
RxQueueIntr: hw 1 (1) -> 0
IWI_HDR_TYPE_NOTIF going into this...
IWI_NOTIF_TYPE_CALIBRATION
darwin_iwi2200: GotInterrupt: 0x	   2		 (IWI_INTR_RX_DONE)
RxQueueIntr: hw 2 (2) -> 1
IWI_HDR_TYPE_NOTIF going into this...
Scan completed (0, 0, 1, 0)
current rate: 0
ieee80211_end_scan(): passive

wow, if this can get my 2915ABG card working I'll be in bliss, hella. if anyone knows the progress please keep updating this.

thanks for all you're attempts and such :)

wow, if this can get my 2915ABG card working I'll be in bliss, hella. if anyone knows the progress please keep updating this.

thanks for all you're attempts and such :P

Is it likely that developing a ipw driver will be easier when Leopard is released?

It would be so great to have the original ipw running. Changing my wificard would void my warranty...

I'd prefer not to wait till leopard. regardless, I don't think it should take THAT long. if aroman and his buddy keep steady developement along with help from the community I immagine it should be finished before Leopard.

I'd prefer not to wait till leopard. regardless, I don't think it should take THAT long. if aroman and his buddy keep steady developement along with help from the community I immagine it should be finished before Leopard.

aroman doesnt seem to be developing this anymore and quite frankly, I dont even think he is up to it.

wow really??? ok, well we need to do something about that then. the only way a project as wanted as this can actually start making progress is if the community is allowed to be involved.

Solution? Release source code :D.

well, I hope it happens soon, I woul REALLY like to not have to buy another card since theres a good chance my 2915ABG will be supported, eventually.

wow really??? ok, well we need to do something about that then. the only way a project as wanted as this can actually start making progress is if the community is allowed to be involved.

Solution? Release source code :D.

well, I hope it happens soon, I woul REALLY like to not have to buy another card since theres a good chance my 2915ABG will be supported, eventually.

poplars, the source is available since a year too. If you had read this thread or my original thread, then you wld have known that.

MacMaui, I doubt that it will be easier (or more difficult) to code a driver for Leopard really. Unless apple plans on releasing a free IEEE80211Family framework in Leopard. I havent heard of anything like that, however I may be wrong.

for your convenience find source code and building instructions here:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...275&hl=tuxx

poplars, the source is available since a year too. If you had read this thread or my original thread, then you wld have known that.

MacMaui, I doubt that it will be easier (or more difficult) to code a driver for Leopard really. Unless apple plans on releasing a free IEEE80211Family framework in Leopard. I havent heard of anything like that, however I may be wrong.

for your convenience find source code and building instructions here:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...275&hl=tuxx

maybe i could set up a public mercurial repository for future development of the driver.

so everyone can checkout the current work state :D

Well, if you had read a little of this thread, just the last posts, you could have understood that there is no working driver for 2200bg chipset. Tuxx had began writing one, so did Aroman. Both have dropped the project, and thus the release of such a driver depends on someone will to continue development till its end.

I may be able to continue them a bit, but the probleme is i only know a little on C language and don't realy know ho to make XTools work at 100%

but i'm willing to participate even if i'm in my last graduating year and that it isn't going to be easy.

but you people have to help too

As said before...I just setup a mercurial version tracking repository for iwi2200 at http://linwizard.maui.at/iwi2200

Anyone who wishes to push developing on this further can gain write access to the repository by sending me your public ssh key. Find more information about checkin out mercurial etc. at http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi