• This topic is locked This topic is locked
148 replies to this topic

cybercommunist

cybercommunist

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I am still using UBUNTU 6 on my IBM T42p besause ipw 2200 driver works?
Cannot we use the ubuntu driver for example?? Can this version be adapted for Mac OS X86???

Jajo

Jajo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

I am still using UBUNTU 6 on my IBM T42p besause ipw 2200 driver works?
Cannot we use the ubuntu driver for example?? Can this version be adapted for Mac OS X86???

PLEASE,

Read the thread! Only tiny parts of the linux-driver could be used for reference while coding the OSX-driver.

/ jajo

cyclonefr

cyclonefr

InsanelyMacaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts
no news of this so waited driver?

jacksont123

jacksont123

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
apparently :)

gengar_cm

gengar_cm

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
Does that card's original driver work on 10.4.1 ?

MacMaui

MacMaui

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Is it likely that the development of this ipw2200 driver will be usable as base for a ipw3945 driver?

tuxx

tuxx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Is it likely that the development of this ipw2200 driver will be usable as base for a ipw3945 driver?

acctually the driver might be should be very compatible to 3945.. but i dont think we'll be seeing an ipw2200 driver any time soon..

too bad folks,

tuxx

james2mart

james2mart

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired Developers
  • 344 posts
tuxx is right. Until apple gives out information on IO80211Family, we're trying to stab a ghost.

jpsolares

jpsolares

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
hope this help ... https://svn.binaerva...irportExtreme.m

BugsB

BugsB

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

hope this help ... https://svn.binaerva...irportExtreme.m

oops .. :) - enlighten us a bit, jpsolares - who could all these lines help :D ?

Burning Dog

Burning Dog

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
i'm also interested int othis drivers for ipw2200bg :)

for people with 2100 one, if one day driver is working for 2200 just buy a new mini pci :) ==> http://www.nextag.co...200/search-html

zubi_won

zubi_won

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
I will pay 50$ as well for a working 2200 driver!

thysm00

thysm00

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
I just bought a broadcom mini-pci card for 15$ on ebay... works pretty good...

rb2k

rb2k

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
hmmm... seems like a nice idea... is switching mini-pci cards not that big a problem? or may this result in bios errors and other strange behaviour?

Burning Dog

Burning Dog

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
no, it should be really easy and you shouldn't have problem, mini pci is almost the same as PCI and is designed to allow the modification of the card. just take care your notebook antennas connectors and the same as the ones on the mini pci you'll buy. also take care of the length of the card that could be too big and can't fit your notebook due to CPU rad or such thing.

to remove the antennas youjst unplug 2 connectors, you pull 2 "switch" to remove the mini, put the new clip the antenna and it's up and running :(

thysm00

thysm00

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
This is exactly what i did, and the intel pro 2200 is quite a big card, i mean thick. So i think broadcom ones are thin enought, but take care of the antenna connections, mine had two, and it seems that some mini-pci has only one...
That is the one i bought:

Broadcom 802.11 b/g Wireless Mini-PCI Card-BCM94306MPSG

photo here:

http://i3.ebayimg.co.../e3/67/12_1.JPG

it worked perfectly with jas 10.4.6 install (wireless package)

zubi_won

zubi_won

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Has anyone herd from aroman lately? his site has not been updated in a long time.

tuxx

tuxx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
hi guys,

i just recieved an interresting link to a discussion on the IO80211Controler on the apple dev-mailing list from Jussi.

http://lists.apple.c...n/msg00056.html

Its pretty much what I've tried to explain to aroman. Using IO80211Controller might look nice in the system preference pane.. but its really not a good idea considering that its completely UNDOCUMENTATED and really hard to reverse engenieer.

Anyone seriously interrested in porting this shld checkout the method described in the following posts of that address..
It seems that "the Airport (Atheros and Broadcom variants) now use a variant of the FreeBSD net80211 code with 'plugins' to support the specific chipsets, and a custom layer on top to talk to the IO80211 parts."

sounds like a very interresting method.. sadly i dont have such an interface anymore and cant help develop for it.. good luck guys

tuxx (with a special thanks to Jussi for the link)

eugmoon

eugmoon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

It seems that "the Airport (Atheros and Broadcom variants) now use a variant of the FreeBSD net80211 code with 'plugins' to support the specific chipsets, and a custom layer on top to talk to the IO80211 parts."

The problem with that method, though, is that we would need to figure out what 'plugins' we need to write. Also, wouldn't writing the required custom layer have the same problems that aroman had with the IO80211 parts being undocumented? :D

I think it's more likely that we will see a driver based off of IOEthernetController (like the Prism GT driver).

That's just what I think, though.

pablasso

pablasso

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Computers and Sports
i changed my 2200 for a truemobile 1450 and it worked out of the box

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy