Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 driver

aroman

149 posts in this topic

OOOooooo... this is basically the only thing I'm worried about with a switch, my XP Pro SP2 is acting really crappily right now, so I thought I might try the old OS x86 switch while I reformat anyway. But wireless connectivity is really.. important hopefuly, the fact that there's clearly some geniuses on this board, the proper {censored} will be written so I won't have to worry about having a laptop sans the wireless helpfulness.

Well, now I need to implement firmware and microcode loading. After that, I'll have to implement a bunch of methods relating to wireless. Then, it's packet flows. And only then there may be real testing (I may release something which just shows the interface as an Airport...).

If you really think you need to know exactly what's going on, you can follow the blog I set up at http://osx-ipw2200.blogspot.com/.

Cheers,

Alex.

Don't let this thread become like the last one. If you are going to post here, make sure it's for technical reasons(I.E. technical discussion). Enough with the praises and chants.

Good luck to all those working on this.

Amen

i'd like to volunteer my services. they are sparse, but willing. i can code at an intermediate level. not sure if that will actually help you guys out but if i can lighten your work load in any way, let me know.

also, for all the 2100 people, when compiling the 2200 driver, you need to dl the firmware for the 2200 to compile it. has anyone tried swapping out the firmware for the 2100 firmware before compiling? i'm sure that would end in a {censored} storm of errors and problems, but that'd be the first thing i'd try if i had a 2100 just for the fun of it.

u really shouldnt let that minor thing hold you back from OS X.

i've been using it for almost a month now and only when i need to use wireless i switch back to windows...

by the way, i see that your laptop has PAE and i thought about a temp fix to the wireless problem, i don't know if it would work but it wouldn't hurt to try...

what i was thinking of was runing osx on vmware, and let it use one of vmware virtual Ethernet cards, then you could bridge the virtual card to the wireless card on windows creating a virtual network... while using wireless internet...

i think it should work... maybe with some tinkering but try it out...

i wish i could but my laptop doesn't have PAE so i cant start osx on VMware.

good luck...

and Aroman, good luck with your drivers if you manage to get it running i will personaly start a campain to make you the undisputed leader/president/prime minister/add_your_own of this planet !

same goes for you too tuxx...

LOL moseschrist... I don't want power :D A black macbook would be nice though :P jks

[EDIT] Unfortunately I'll have some exams starting soon throughout june, so I might be a bit inactive in development and posts... But don't worry, I've not abandoned the project. I just need some time to study for these exams... [/EDIT]

aroman, I'm a Junior computer engeering major with experience in C and Java Programming OOP. Also, I've taken Operating Systems, and Networks classes. I've been looking at the ipw2200.cpp. I'm wondering is there any sample driver for a different hardware we could refer to better understand how to even start writing the setRATE(), or setPOWER() and how much different could it be? I'm thinking about helping out after finals... like June 10th. Anyway, I really excited about this, and would love to contribute in writing some parts of this driver if I'm of any use. Thanks guys! You're awesome.

the same.....

how is the progress?

people, come on. This isn't something that is done in like 2 days.

1) he gave you the address to his blogspot for more updates

2) he said he had exams right now.

Don't be impatient, and if you are still impatient, don't post. It won't bring us any further, and will only clutter up this thread.

1. This is exam season. May/June is known for it. Give the dude some space.

2. He gave you a link to the blog. There's a link to the CVS repository there. It has a development version of the driver (although it doesn't do much, as it is still a very early dev. version)

I was planning on contributing (since the source is available, and I'm sure the extra support would be appreciated), but I've recently got a windows programming book publishing contact sorted out, so I'll be busy with that. That said, I'm still very interested in OSX, and will try to find the time to contribute. I suggest everybody do the same.

There are plenty of great IOKit examples out there, especially for network devices.

1. This is exam season. May/June is known for it. Give the dude some space.

2. He gave you a link to the blog. There's a link to the CVS repository there. It has a development version of the driver (although it doesn't do much, as it is still a very early dev. version)

I was planning on contributing (since the source is available, and I'm sure the extra support would be appreciated), but I've recently got a windows programming book publishing contact sorted out, so I'll be busy with that. That said, I'm still very interested in OSX, and will try to find the time to contribute. I suggest everybody do the same.

There are plenty of great IOKit examples out there, especially for network devices.

Amen.

+2

I hope that when you could back to work on the driver you can impress us with a fancy apple's style instalation assistant, or an ugly Unix type, but with a working one!

Good luck, and May the Force be with You!

+2

I hope that when you could back to work on the driver you can impress us with a fancy apple's style instalation assistant, or an ugly Unix type, but with a working one!

Good luck, and May the Force be with You!

That will be the salvation for users own the first generation laptop of Centrino. The 855 graphic chipset and intel pro 2200 wireless series are the main problems to heaven. huh~ :D

whilst I must reiterate that we must not put too much pressure on anybody, it has been a long time without any message at all. I'm sure aroman and tuxx together can get it to work (if they are still working on it. This community has a tendancy to release teasers and never continue from that).

OK my exams are over, and I think I did pretty well, so I'm happy :thumbsup_anim:

Meanwhile because I needed a windows program (and my only windows machine was my laptop) I installed xp on my laptop and accidentally wiped os x. whoops! But I have all my source code in the CVS so it's all good. I will just have to re-install OS X. Will do that this weekend.

Another guy is working on this driver sorta by himself... Just letting you know. But I'll continue to work on this, no worries.

That being said, relax I haven't abandoned the project. :)

Cheers,

Alex.