[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1331 replies to this topic

dc5guy

dc5guy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I got the boot CD to work, however, on the OSX DVD, I keep getting the following error:

EBIOS read error: Error 0xbb
Block 0 Sectors 64

Any idea as to what is going on? I have the retail installation DVD.

Problem was a faulty DVD drive. On with the installation...

leppy700m

leppy700m

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

i got the ethernet working using the attached kext. im running 10.5.7. i havent upgraded to 10.5.8 yet, but i will post results when i do.

Glad you got your ethernet sorted out, Jay. I am not sure why you needed a different kext, but I guess it's possible that these machines vary slightly.

Problem was a faulty DVD drive. On with the installation...

Glad you figured it out. How'd things go with a different drive?

dc5guy

dc5guy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Glad you figured it out. How'd things go with a different drive?

Everything worked out great. I haven't tried updating to 10.5.8 yet. I ran the commands; seems like this is to prepare for us to download the updates?

On another note, I've been trying to get the 2-finger scrolling to work properly. It seems like the Alps Touchpad driver is not installed. I've been trying to figure out how to get this to work with the Voodoo app but no success so far. Any ideas as to how we can get this to work?

creed205

creed205

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

I am working on this installation with an upgrade to Snow Leopard 10.6. I will post my findings.

Current plan is to work on the installation as described for 10.5.6 which is the first Retail DVD I have. Then install 10.6 as an upgrade. (wasn't able to boot directly off the 10.6 DVD).

If that does not work, then I will attempt 10.5.6 to 10.5.7 then 10.6.

Then as a last effort, 10.5.6, 10.5.7, 10.5.8 up to 10.6.

Wish me luck and post any ideas :whistle:

I have now tried 2 scenarios. I have tried to install 10.5.6 and go straight to SL 10.6 and after the installation of SL it rebooted and came back to 10.5.6 like nothing happened. I also tried to go from 10.5.6 to 5.7 to 5.8 then to 10.6 SL and the same reaction. I tried booting the 132 CD with the 10.6 DVD and no luck.

Looks like it's stuck for some reason.

Has any one else seen this behavior?

leppy700m

leppy700m

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Everything worked out great. I haven't tried updating to 10.5.8 yet. I ran the commands; seems like this is to prepare for us to download the updates?

On another note, I've been trying to get the 2-finger scrolling to work properly. It seems like the Alps Touchpad driver is not installed. I've been trying to figure out how to get this to work with the Voodoo app but no success so far. Any ideas as to how we can get this to work? It is the last and final feature that will make this the main OS for me on the D620.

Thanks for all your help Leppy!

I haven't played with 2 finger scrolling yet, but it's on my to-do list. I used the Voodoo kext to enable mouse & keyboard - supposedly it can be set up to support 2 finger scrolling (an additional kext)?

The post install updates on the boot cd just make sure you're set up with the correct kernel to support dual core for the version you are updating to - it doesn't do the update. It also makes sure that compatible video kexts are in place for Intel video. If the wrong kernel is used, it will likely break things like USB support.

I have now tried 2 scenarios. I have tried to install 10.5.6 and go straight to SL 10.6 and after the installation of SL it rebooted and came back to 10.5.6 like nothing happened. I also tried to go from 10.5.6 to 5.7 to 5.8 then to 10.6 SL and the same reaction. I tried booting the 132 CD with the 10.6 DVD and no luck.

Looks like it's stuck for some reason.

Has any one else seen this behavior?

I'm still waiting for my Snow Leopard update DVD to arrive. I don't know if it will work at all or if I'll need to buy the retail DVD (only found in the new box set). I am curious to see how this works out myself, as I'd rather not buy a new box set after just buying one within the past couple of months.

One thing for sure - if you are going to run Snow Leopard, com.apple.Boot.plist will have to be edited in /Extra unless you've located a patched kernel for dual core support. Until one is available, you'll probably need the cpus=1 kernel param and remove the kernel spec and -tsync param.

Edijs

Edijs

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
So. Good news - I have my Nvidia videocard now fully working! :) I installed your d620 nvidia fix and now I have 1440*900 resulotion. That's cool. BUT! Now my broadcom wifi card isn't working! :D And it worked before installing Nvidia fix you posted. :) When I run lspci command in terminal, I can see my wifi card - Broadcom BCM4312 802.11a/b/g. But Airport tool says, that "there's no airport card". ;)

leppy700m

leppy700m

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

So. Good news - I have my Nvidia videocard now fully working! :D I installed your d620 nvidia fix and now I have 1440*900 resulotion. That's cool. BUT! Now my broadcom wifi card isn't working! :D And it worked before installing Nvidia fix you posted. :) When I run lspci command in terminal, I can see my wifi card - Broadcom BCM4312 802.11a/b/g. But Airport tool says, that "there's no airport card". :D

try a reboot with -F param at the Chameleon screen. let me know how it goes - the nvidia fix should not impact airport. I know the 10.5.8 update can.

Edijs

Edijs

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
This is something unbelievable.. I noticied that my touchpad and that blue thing in middle of my keyboard don't work either. Buy keyboard is working, usb mouse too.

I tried to restore com.apple.Boot.plist and Extensions.mkext that was in Extra folder before installing Nvidia fix. Impossible - video works fine without that enabling string in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist, but airport and touchpad is dead. Hmmmm.

Maybe it's somehow related with fact that yesterday I tried to install chameleon RC3? But today I installed RC2 back...

dc5guy

dc5guy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Couple of issues I've found so far:
-Once the display goes to sleep, can't "wake" it (this is not the SLEEP function itself, but the screen saver power setting)
-Can't "wake" from screen saver
-Touchpad and pointstick are both working; however, they are both not showing up as an Alps touchpad (I'm sure this is a big reason as to why the two-finger scrolling isn't working properly)

The display turning off could be a big issue since it kills battery life if you are away from your laptop for a bit.

Is there a way we can scroll with the touchpad at all (like windows; on the side)?

dlowe

dlowe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
First off, fantastic work and guide. I was able to get everything working on the laptop. I am trying to tether my iphone to the laptop and it never sees it as a new ethernet/modem. The iphone is setup using the At&t settings and official tethering toggle. I was able to get tethering working on an iPC distro on anther laptop (that laptop had an unresolved video incompatibility).

My D620 is the same setup as the guide uses and I have updated to 10.5.7. I have also tried 10.5.8 with no luck. Anyone seen this or have info.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

leppy700m

leppy700m

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

First off, fantastic work and guide. I was able to get everything working on the laptop. I am trying to tether my iphone to the laptop and it never sees it as a new ethernet/modem. The iphone is setup using the At&t settings and official tethering toggle. I was able to get tethering working on an iPC distro on anther laptop (that laptop had an unresolved video incompatibility).

My D620 is the same setup as the guide uses and I have updated to 10.5.7. I have also tried 10.5.8 with no luck. Anyone seen this or have info.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Thanks for the comments - I'd love to add a graphics refinement soon - a fix for those minor artifacts with Intel graphics.

I wasn't aware that AT&T had allowed tethering the iphone yet. My wife has one, and I'd love to tether it.

What is this "official tethering toggle" you are referring to?

Edit: I just saw this on the net:

Tethering squashed with i-phone 3.1 update

creed205

creed205

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
I was curious if I missed something or maybe I am the only one here.

When I start my system it stays on the boot menu screen unless I press enter. Is there something that can be changed so that it auto-boots into OS X?

Perfect Stranger

Perfect Stranger

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

6. I haven't addressed the PCI card slot. I have it disabled (I never use it). I can add it if there's a demand and a fix I can implement in Chameleon.

As for PCMCIA slot, I'm using solution from here: http://www.mediafire.com/?txgfj23weji it works perfectly on my D620. Slot is filled by PCMCIA SD card reader because D620 doesn't have built-in reader.

leppy700m

leppy700m

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

I was curious if I missed something or maybe I am the only one here.

When I start my system it stays on the boot menu screen unless I press enter. Is there something that can be changed so that it auto-boots into OS X?

That's the default behavior of Chameleon, the boot loader. It's giving you a chance to enter boot flags to fix/test things or select an alternate OS if you have one installed.

If you only have one OS installed, the system is stable and you want to automate booting, you can override the default by editing the end of your /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist to look like this:

<key>Timeout</key>
<string>1</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Note: 1 will allow a 1 second delay before booting starts, 2 = 2 secs and so on. However, 0 is the same as the default - meaning it will sit there until a keystroke is entered.

You can edit the .plist file by entering the following from terminal:

sudo /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

As for PCMCIA slot, I'm using solution from here: http://www.mediafire.com/?txgfj23weji it works perfectly on my D620. Slot is filled by PCMCIA SD card reader because D620 doesn't have built-in reader.

Thanks for the tip. I've got one of those cards laying around somewhere. I'll have to see if I can load and use that kext from /Extra without breaking anything.

StevoDevo

StevoDevo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

okay, here's a stab at Extensions.mkext and com.apple.Boot.plist for a D620 with Nvidia graphics. Unzip these, put them in your /Extra folder, replacing the ones that are there. (Drag & drop the existing ones to somewhere else to back them up, then delete them from /Extra). Once the ones in the zip file are in the Extra folder, run the following from terminal -

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Extra

Let me know if it works.

620 Nvidia

The NVidia fix works on my D630 with Nvidia graphics.

Leppy - that mediafire link doesn't have the d620 video files anymore - can you repost a link for this?

leppy700m

leppy700m

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Leppy - that mediafire link doesn't have the d620 video files anymore - can you repost a link for this?

It was a mediafire hiccup. The files are still there and are now available.

creed205

creed205

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

That's the default behavior of Chameleon, the boot loader. It's giving you a chance to enter boot flags to fix/test things or select an alternate OS if you have one installed.

If you only have one OS installed, the system is stable and you want to automate booting, you can override the default by editing the end of your /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist to look like this:

<key>Timeout</key>
<string>1</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Note: 1 will allow a 1 second delay before booting starts, 2 = 2 secs and so on. However, 0 is the same as the default - meaning it will sit there until a keystroke is entered.

You can edit the .plist file by entering the following from terminal:

sudo /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

Thanks, that worked very well. I had found something somewhere else but I edited the wrong com.apple.Boot.plist.

Another thing to note because you put the running com.apple.Boot.plist in the /Extra folder. You should rename the one in the root and create a link to the one in the /Extra folder. There are programs (ie. VMware) that need the com.apple.Boot.plist in the root.

Thanks for all your help, this is awesome!

leppy700m

leppy700m

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Thanks, that worked very well. I had found something somewhere else but I edited the wrong com.apple.Boot.plist.

Another thing to note because you put the running com.apple.Boot.plist in the /Extra folder. You should rename the one in the root and create a link to the one in the /Extra folder. There are programs (ie. VMware) that need the com.apple.Boot.plist in the root.

Thanks for all your help, this is awesome!

Thank you. There's a useful note for VMWARE users, but it's outside the scope of this project because it involves modifying code installed by the retail DVD. So far, everything that is not installed by the retail DVD is either the Chameleon boot loader or residing in the /Extra directory.

People can use this method and modify their own installations to their hearts content.

On another subject, my Snow Leopard DVD arrived. I haven't seen a dual core SL kernel patch yet, so I think for now I'm best off on 10.5.x. But that doesn't mean I won't start playing with it to see how everything else well it will run on a D620 with just one core enabled.

dc5guy

dc5guy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

On another subject, my Snow Leopard DVD arrived. I haven't seen a dual core SL kernel patch yet, so I think for now I'm best off on 10.5.x. But that doesn't mean I won't start playing with it to see how everything else well it will run on a D620 with just one core enabled.

Good to know you are still messing around with this! Please keep us updated. I wish I could do more to help out besides installing your little tweaks.

Thanks for all your work.

maleorderbride

maleorderbride

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
I have a Dell E1405, which is not quite within the scope of your guide ;p Dual-core, GMA950.

However, your Boot-132 CD works just fine (of course) for install and to boot the drive. Most of the kexts you include I do not need, but some carry over.

The thing I do not understand is that I can use your CD to boot into my 10.5.6 retail installation with no flags and everything works that is vitally important. However, when stealing the extensions.mkext (and boot.plist) from the initrd.img and trying to boot with that in the /extra folder I get a KP. I manually set permissions.

If I actually follow your guide and do the updates and sh packages then I get KPs. I assume it is because of the model differences.

Question:
Why does your Boot-132 CD boot with no flags in my e1505? I assume that means that if I copied all of the kexts from it then I should be able to do the same with my /extra folder? Can you upload your kexts maybe, in case I am somehow doing this wrong, so I can stick those in /E/E then kextcache a new extensions.mkext? Shouldn't that work, or am I just fundamentally misunderstanding something about the nature of boot-132 CDs and OS X in general?

I really just am tired of working on this lappy. I would love some help. The actual e1405 threads are centuries old and the guides are for non-retail installs.

I don't care about 10.5.7/8 or whatever. I just need this dell to run OS X so I can run MAQ and I do not want to need to use a boot-132 CD each time I want to go back and forth between XP and OS X.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy