[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1331 replies to this topic

rafisher79

rafisher79

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Awesome! It's working well on my d620 with 945GM now. I must have spent the better part of the past 2 days trying to get this to work with other installs. Thank you!!!!!!

I have a couple questions though: does your wake from sleep work? Mine does not want to work. I'm just getting a black screen. And I'm not getting 1440 x 900, I seem to max out at 1280 x 800.

Again, thanks. I should've tried this first!

leppy700m

leppy700m

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Hi Leppy,

First off, I wanna say thanks for all your work on getting a good BOOT123 disk working for the D620 - so that we can install from legit OS X DVD's - I'm sure there are lots of people out there (myself included) that really appreciate what you've done thus far. :-D

I would like to throw my hat into the ring on this and offer to help you get this running with the D8x0 series of machines, in addition to the D6x0 series that you're working on now. So....

I have a D820. I used the v2 .iso file to install 10.5.6, then updated to 10.5.7, and then to 10.5.8. The install went smoothly, but some things don't work on the D820 I have. Here are the specs on my machine:

1.6Ghz Core Duo (32-bit)
2GB RAM
120GB HDD
Nvidia NVS 110m Video
WSXGA+ Screen (1680x1050)
Sigmatel Audio
Bluetooth
Boradcom Wireless
Broadcom Ethernet
Firewire
USB x4
Modem
PCMCIA Slot
Express Card Slot

And here is what's working and what's not:

Both Cores of the processor work
Video acceleration does not work - Only get 1024x768 graphics, with no acceleration
Audio Works
Wireless Works
Ethernet is detected, but I have not tested it yet (will test later tonight)
Firewire is detected, but I have not tested it yet (will test later tonight)
USB works
Modem is detected but I have not tested it yet (will test later tonight)
PCMCIA Slot - cannot test yet - will get a PCMCIA card and try it out
Express Card - cannot test yet - will get an Express card and try it out

I subsequently tried the 620 Nvidia patch you posted - no dice on that - still no video acceleration.

I have gotten video acceleration to work in the past with other distributions, but I would really rather run from an install via a legit DVD (I did buy it afterall, so I wanna use it).

Ultimately, I'd like to help you create a D620 / D820 / D630 / D830 .iso that provides a seamless install that "just works", much like the Mini9 guys have. As such, I'll be glad to test out whatever you want me to, and report results.

What do you think? Can I help out? If so, I'd like to start with the video. Any ideas there?

Thanks for your time, and thanks again for all your good work on this!

Hey Fox, I appreciate the feedback. Of course you can help. That's exactly what your feedback is doing.

I'm not sure why the Nvidia solution isn't working for you - it really should. I got the idea to use the GraphicsEnabler string in the Boot.plist from AlexD, who used that approach on his D620 with Nvidia, and it works for him. The same thing is working on my Nvidia D630.

The beauty of using Chameleon and leaving the core of your installation alone is that you can try different things and back out pretty easily.

Let's retrace - you've installed Chameleon, and updated to the version specific Kernel, and you can boot without the CD, right? AFTER that, you used the Nvidia patch, replacing the extensions.mkext and com.apple.boot.plist in your /Extra folder? That should remove the Intel Video kexts required for the Intel version D620 to function and allowing for the Boot.plist to set up Nvidia video detection properly. You remembered to run the sudo chown -R root:wheel /Extra from terminal?

If that's all been verified, then try this: back up your extra folder, then delete it, then reinstall Chameleon. This time instead of going with all the defaults, try selecting GraphicEnabler and then install. Then go back and look at the com.apple.Boot.plist file Chameleon puts in your /Extra folder and post it here. It may add another string that would enable the graphics on your 820. When all that's done, delete the new /Extra folder and restore the one you had originally from your backup. I have another idea if this doesn't work.

Awesome! It's working well on my d620 with 945GM now. I must have spent the better part of the past 2 days trying to get this to work with other installs. Thank you!!!!!!

I have a couple questions though: does your wake from sleep work? Mine does not want to work. I'm just getting a black screen. And I'm not getting 1440 x 900, I seem to max out at 1280 x 800.

Again, thanks. I should've tried this first!

Nope, sleep does not work here - it's a listed bug in the docs.

If you have a D620 with Intel graphics, your graphics should be working fine if you followed the post install instructions exactly - hardware accelerated with 1440 x 900 support if that's where your display runs under Windows. Not all D620s have 1440x900 displays - many have 1280 x 800's.

Make sure you aren't running the nvidia patch - that'll screw up your Intel graphics.

StevoDevo

StevoDevo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Hey Leppy,

I installed the D620 nVidia drivers you posted and now my system crashes at boot with the big 'you gotta reboot your computer' error. How do I go about replacing those 2 files with the ones I backed up? Is there a way to book into OSX without loading those drivers?

Thanks

Steve

leppy700m

leppy700m

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
Yeah, you can boot into OS X with the CD. Boot from the CD and then pick 80 (or your HD number) at the prompt. That's a reliable way to get in. You could try booting in using safe mode without the cd. Boot parm -x at the Chameleon boot menu.

That Entensions.mkext should not have pooched your install if you moved the files into the /Extra folder and changed ownership properly.

FoxND001

FoxND001

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Leppy! :-)

Let's retrace - you've installed Chameleon, and updated to the version specific Kernel, and you can boot without the CD, right? AFTER that, you used the Nvidia patch, replacing the extensions.mkext and com.apple.boot.plist in your /Extra folder? That should remove the Intel Video kexts required for the Intel version D620 to function and allowing for the Boot.plist to set up Nvidia video detection properly. You remembered to run the sudo chown -R root:wheel /Extra from terminal?

That's correct - I followed that procedure to the letter, and can boot without the CD, no problem. I also verified the ownership permission bits were set properly for the /Extra folder - Everything was set to root:wheel. Still no dice after the install - no accelerated video at all.

If that's all been verified, then try this: back up your extra folder, then delete it, then reinstall Chameleon. This time instead of going with all the defaults, try selecting GraphicEnabler and then install. Then go back and look at the com.apple.Boot.plist file Chameleon puts in your /Extra folder and post it here. It may add another string that would enable the graphics on your 820. When all that's done, delete the new /Extra folder and restore the one you had originally from your backup. I have another idea if this doesn't work.

Ok - did that. After deleting /Extra and running Chameleon, there was no mach_kernel file, so I copied the one from my backup of the original /Extra (I called it /ExtraOriginal) and put that into my shiny new /Extra directory that Chameleon created. I did make sure to select GraphicsEnabler in the Chameleon installer.

Rebooted, and still no dice - graphics are still non-accelerated, and I can't change resolutions. :-(

I then did an ls -l in the /Extra directory, and was surprised to see that the ownership was not quite right - the comm.apple.Boot.plist file had my local user owner and group, and the Extensions.mkext file and Themes directory belonged to the admin group. I did a chown -R root:wheel to /Extra, then verified the permissions were correct this time, crossed my fingers, rebooted, and....

Still no dice. Graphics are still non-accelerated. T_T;;

I have created a tarball of the /Extra directory that Chameleon created with the GraphicsEnabler option turned on (I called it Extra-GraphicsEnabler.tgz). I will attach the file here. The mach_kernel file is not included, as it is was not created by Chameleon.

You mentioned you have other ideas on how to make it go? I'm all ears! :-D

Nope, sleep does not work here - it's a listed bug in the docs.

If you have a D620 with Intel graphics, your graphics should be working fine if you followed the post install instructions exactly - hardware accelerated with 1440 x 900 support if that's where your display runs under Windows. Not all D620s have 1440x900 displays - many have 1280 x 800's.

Make sure you aren't running the nvidia patch - that'll screw up your Intel graphics.

My two yen on this. I have gotten sleep to work on my D820 before, but it was on one of the "other" disributions under 10.5.6. I have two hard drives in my D820 - I think what I'm going to do is install that distribution on my other hard drive and get it working with accelerated graphics and sleep, sound, ethernet, and (hopefully) PCMCIA & ExpressCard slots. Then maybe we can compare the two installs (vanilla -vs- non-vanilla) and see if we can isolate the differences that will help us.

Your thoughts on this?

-FoxND001

ATTACHMENT: /Extra from Chameleon install with GraphicsEnabler selected

Attached Files

leppy700m

leppy700m

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Hi Leppy! :-)

Rebooted, and still no dice - graphics are still non-accelerated, and I can't change resolutions. :-(

Still no dice. Graphics are still non-accelerated. T_T;;

I have created a tarball of the /Extra directory that Chameleon created with the GraphicsEnabler option turned on (I called it Extra-GraphicsEnabler.tgz). I will attach the file here. The mach_kernel file is not included, as it is was not created by Chameleon.

You mentioned you have other ideas on how to make it go? I'm all ears! :-D

My two yen on this. I have gotten sleep to work on my D820 before, but it was on one of the "other" disributions under 10.5.6. I have two hard drives in my D820 - I think what I'm going to do is install that distribution on my other hard drive and get it working with accelerated graphics and sleep, sound, ethernet, and (hopefully) PCMCIA & ExpressCard slots. Then maybe we can compare the two installs (vanilla -vs- non-vanilla) and see if we can isolate the differences that will help us.

Your thoughts on this?

-FoxND001

ATTACHMENT: /Extra from Chameleon install with GraphicsEnabler selected

hey Fox, glad you checked back in.

I just wanted to see if the Chameleon install would add an EFI string to your Boot.plist, but I see it didn't. I am looking for the easiest way to get graphics enabled without actually installing a kext to your /System/Library/Extensions folder.

I am guessing that the distro which has your vid working properly uses a modified nvidia kext or nvkush. My D630 works without those and just the GraphicEnabler string. Odd that it won't work that way on the D620. Next, I am thinking nvkush.kext. I am wondering if Chameleon can load that successfully from Extensions.mkext. Are you familiar with pcwiz's mkext tool? With that, you can customize an Extensions.mkexts to slip into the /Extra directory to play with. I'd start with the Extensions.mkext from the Nvidia archive I put up because it has the Intel Graphics stuff stripped out. If you don't want to mess with the tool, I'll get another Extensions.mkext to you.

Here's something I've been playing with: I formatted a 4gb USB flash drive (a smaller one will do) GUID. Then I installed chameleon on it, then replaced the /Extra directory with the one from the CD. I can boot from it - and quickly, so if I mess up the /Extra folder on my hard drive I can recover easily.

Maybe someone who has a D620 with Nvidia working with an EFI string only could share the string.

Sleep pretty much has to come after graphics. I've noticed in the past that until you sort out graphics, it's too early to worry about sleep. I've had sleep working on other machines only to break it again with a graphics solution.

Also, on INTEL graphics -

I am still unsuccessful getting my 620 working with the Intel Graphics correctly. I can get rid of artifacts if i give up hardware acceleration. If someone has an elegant solution to that, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

leppy700m

leppy700m

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
UPDATE: I obtained a D620 motherboard with NVIDIA graphics on Ebay on the cheap. I installed it in my D620, used the files from the 620 Nvidia patch I posted, and graphics work perfectly with hardware acceleration at 1440x900 resolution.

I think this proves out a viable install for the D620 with both Intel and Nvidia graphics options, and the D630 with Nvidia graphics. I haven't tried a D630 with Intel graphics and I think that video chip will be problematic. I still have artifacts with the D620 with Intel graphics, but hardware acceleration does work.

I don't know how the D820 with Nvidia differs and why it's not working. Maybe Fox has something more to report.

jay25f

jay25f

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i have tried this with a D630 and 10.5.6 with no luck. i get through the first part of the install, but then when i reboot and try to boot using the 80 option, it just comes back to the same screen.

this is a d630 with nvidia graphics.

<edit> i got that fixed. I didnt setup the GUID partition as the installer did not prompt me. my next issue is the fact that my ethernet card is not being recognized. i ran the post 10.5.6 stuff, but have not installed 10.5.7 update yet.</edit>

any ideas?

leppy700m

leppy700m

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

i have tried this with a D630 and 10.5.6 with no luck. i get through the first part of the install, but then when i reboot and try to boot using the 80 option, it just comes back to the same screen.

this is a d630 with nvidia graphics.

<edit> i got that fixed. I didnt setup the GUID partition as the installer did not prompt me. my next issue is the fact that my ethernet card is not being recognized. i ran the post 10.5.6 stuff, but have not installed 10.5.7 update yet.</edit>

any ideas?

I'll double check ethernet on my D630 later today. I am pretty sure it was working with the supplied Extensions.mkext from the 620 nvidia patch I put up. 1440x900 hardware accelerated graphics were also working. Make sure you've installed that.

On the D630, I was having trouble with shutdown/restart, but I think that could be fixed with openhaltrestart.kext

creed205

creed205

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
I am working on this installation with an upgrade to Snow Leopard 10.6. I will post my findings.

Current plan is to work on the installation as described for 10.5.6 which is the first Retail DVD I have. Then install 10.6 as an upgrade. (wasn't able to boot directly off the 10.6 DVD).

If that does not work, then I will attempt 10.5.6 to 10.5.7 then 10.6.

Then as a last effort, 10.5.6, 10.5.7, 10.5.8 up to 10.6.

Wish me luck and post any ideas :D

bjorndewolf

bjorndewolf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Hey Leppy,

did you try installing Snow leopard on your d620? I've been using Leopard on my d620 for few months now and it works like a charm. I managed to get SL running as well, but Wifi and the gma950 video card weren't working correctly. If you had more luck than I had, I'd really like to know how you were able to do so.

cheers!

leppy700m

leppy700m

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Hey Leppy,

did you try installing Snow leopard on your d620? I've been using Leopard on my d620 for few months now and it works like a charm. I managed to get SL running as well, but Wifi and the gma950 video card weren't working correctly. If you had more luck than I had, I'd really like to know how you were able to do so.

cheers!

Haven't tried SL yet. I am going to study other results some before I buy it.

GMA video on these seems to be an issue all the way around. Were you able to get the GMA950 working with hardware accelleration and no minor artifacts? If so - how?

Also, what wifi card do you have? The broadcom cards seems to work fine with 10.5.x, but 10.5.8 broke a lot of them. Some earlier version OS X kexts seem to fix that. You might have similar results with SL.

Wish me luck and post any ideas :unsure:

Good luck! What hardware are you using?

bjorndewolf

bjorndewolf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Haven't tried SL yet. I am going to study other results some before I buy it.

GMA video on these seems to be an issue all the way around. Were you able to get the GMA950 working with hardware accelleration and no minor artifacts? If so - how?

Also, what wifi card do you have? The broadcom cards seems to work fine with 10.5.x, but 10.5.8 broke a lot of them. Some earlier version OS X kexts seem to fix that. You might have similar results with SL.

Good luck! What hardware are you using?

I did get video in SL but only 1024x768 no qe/ci No kext loaded

These are my specs according to osx86tools

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub [8086:27a0] (rev 03)00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27a2] (rev 03)00:02.1 Display controller [0380]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27a6] (rev 03)00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller [8086:27d8] (rev 01)00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 [8086:27d0] (rev 01)00:1c.1 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 [8086:27d2] (rev 01)00:1c.2 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 3 [8086:27d4] (rev 01)00:1d.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 [8086:27c8] (rev 01)00:1d.1 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 [8086:27c9] (rev 01)00:1d.2 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 [8086:27ca] (rev 01)00:1d.3 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 [8086:27cb] (rev 01)00:1d.7 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller [8086:27cc] (rev 01)00:1e.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge [8086:2448] (rev e1)00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge [8086:27b9] (rev 01)00:1f.2 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller [8086:27c4] (rev 01)00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller [8086:27da] (rev 01)03:01.0 CardBus bridge [0607]: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ601/6912/711E0 CardBus/SmartCardBus Controller [1217:6972] (rev 40)09:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5752 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express [14e4:1600] (rev 02)0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN [14e4:4311] (rev 01)

jay25f

jay25f

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I'll double check ethernet on my D630 later today. I am pretty sure it was working with the supplied Extensions.mkext from the 620 nvidia patch I put up. 1440x900 hardware accelerated graphics were also working. Make sure you've installed that.

On the D630, I was having trouble with shutdown/restart, but I think that could be fixed with openhaltrestart.kext

I tried the nvidia stuff. it changed my graphics to the standard 1280x800. however, the ethernet card is still not working. if i upgrade to 10.5.8, the wireless card stops working also.

let me know what i need to do. if it is get a D620, then ill do that. :(

leppy700m

leppy700m

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

I tried the nvidia stuff. it changed my graphics to the standard 1280x800. however, the ethernet card is still not working. if i upgrade to 10.5.8, the wireless card stops working also.

let me know what i need to do. if it is get a D620, then ill do that. ;)

Well, I am glad your video is working at the right resolution.

Just double checked my D630, and ethernet is detected and works with the 620 Nvidia stuff, though I haven't given it a great big workout - I generally use wireless on these. At this point, I don't have any idea why your ethernet doesn't work - I think it's the same device for both the D620 and D630.

I am less than impressed with the 10.5.8 update process. There are reports all over of airport problems with real macs after the 10.5.8 update.

On my D620, 10.5.8 breaks my wireless sometimes when I upgrade, but not others. I've done it about a million times now to test this process - I think the restart processes in the 10.5.8 update are critical - they have to finish and restart for the wireless to work properly. If I get impatient and power down (thinking it's stuck) before the update finishes it's thing, it definitely will not work. Even if it does all the restarts on it's own (no intervention from me) it will fail to update the wireless properly about 30% of the time. Since the D630 doesn't shutdown/restart properly without openhaltrestart.kext, wireless doesn't work after upgrading to 10.5.8. When it doesn't work on the D620, I've been able to fix it by reverting back to a couple of kexts (APPLEAIRPORT and IO80211FAMILY) from 10.5.6 and they are included on the ISO image in the POST_INSTALL\EXTRA\58 folder. I think this should fix it on the D630 as well. You could use PCWIZ's MKEXT tool to add those kexts to your Extensions.mkext in the /Extra directory. Or you could try adding openhaltrestart to the extensions.mkext prior to the 10.5.8 update to see if that fixes the shutdown/restart issues and then try applying the 10.5.8 update to see if wireless works properly then. If shutdown/restart works during the update process, I'd say there's about a 66% chance of wireless working after 10.5.8 without reverting back to older airport kexts.

When I have some time, I'll patch my Extensions.mkext specifically for my D630 with Nvidia and post it here.

While the D620's make really nice hacks, I don't think they are perfect - Sleep doesn't work right and GMA950 graphics are buggy. The Nvidia version doesn't have the graphics issue, but sleep is still buggy. If you have a D630 with NVidia, I really don't think you'd be better off with a D620 hack.

Once again, if anyone has solutions to make this better, please post them. Outstanding issues:

* Sleep
* Intel GMA950 - Minor artifacts with hardware graphics acceleration enabled
* D/Port D/Dock compatibility with external monitors

leppy700m

leppy700m

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

I did get video in SL but only 1024x768 no qe/ci No kext loaded

These are my specs according to osx86tools

interesting... what version did you upgrade from or were you able to do a fresh install?

What video kexts have you tried with SL? I wonder if the kexts we're using with Leo will work?

bjorndewolf

bjorndewolf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

interesting... what version did you upgrade from or were you able to do a fresh install?

What video kexts have you tried with SL? I wonder if the kexts we're using with Leo will work?

I followed a guide on ihackint0sh.com called "How to Install Snow Leopard (10A432) on PC Hackintosh" (can't post a link following forum rules... but it's on the main page for those interested). I used all the kext mentioned in this guide and the ps2 kexts from a post called "Dell D630 kext pack" over at infinitemac. That's it.

I tried inserting EFi String in com.apple.Boot.plist but then I get a Kernel panic. Tried using 10.5.7 gma950 kexts but also kernel panic... Not sure how to figure this out in a systematical way. So maybe someone else does...

leppy700m

leppy700m

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

I followed a guide on ihackint0sh.com called "How to Install Snow Leopard (10A432) on PC Hackintosh" (can't post a link following forum rules... but it's on the main page for those interested). I used all the kext mentioned in this guide and the ps2 kexts from a post called "Dell D630 kext pack" over at infinitemac. That's it.

I tried inserting EFi String in com.apple.Boot.plist but then I get a Kernel panic. Tried using 10.5.7 gma950 kexts but also kernel panic... Not sure how to figure this out in a systematical way. So maybe someone else does...

I'd probably put chameleon on a GUID formatted flash drive and play with the /Extra folder on that. If you break it, you could still boot from the HD and get back to where you were. Have you tried not using any kexts for vid and using only EFI strings? I was able to get full res working that way once, but I didn't have hardware acceleration.

jay25f

jay25f

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i got the ethernet working using the attached kext. im running 10.5.7. i havent upgraded to 10.5.8 yet, but i will post results when i do.

Attached Files

dc5guy

dc5guy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I got the boot CD to work, however, on the OSX DVD, I keep getting the following error:

EBIOS read error: Error 0xbb
Block 0 Sectors 64

Any idea as to what is going on? I have the retail installation DVD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2015 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy