ASUS P5N-MX Guide !

aly369

59 posts in this topic

Hey there!

Mac osX has now become an obsession for me.... :):):)

I 've had a really hard time trying to make ANY osX work.

Here are my Specs:

Mobo: ASUS P5N-MX (CHIPSET: NVIDIA GeForce 7050 /Southbridge: nForce 610i)

Intel CELERON-D 347 CPU 3.0 GHz with instructions: MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 EM64T

phoenix ACPI BIOS 802

128MB onboard gfx

2gig DDR-2 400MHz Hynix RAM

PATA 160GB + 40GB HDD

PATA DVD/RW..... i've just one ATA cable...thus the HDD & DVD/RW are on the same cable

I don't know if I have a jmicron controller or not...

I have tried the following distros, with their respective problems:

iATKOS V5i : installed OK but then STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE

iATKOS V7 : installed OK but then STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE

iDeneb v1.5 10.5.7 : installed OK but then STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE (during install i got error SAM MULTIMEDIA READ OR WRITE ERROR but the installer proceeded)

iPC_OSx86_10_5_6_Universal_PPF5_Final : cannot even boot the CD due to STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE

Kalyway 10.5.2 : cannot update system uuid

To solve the "STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE " I tried this:

1. played a LOT with jumpers and cables (u understand that....ryt).. no result

2. Tried configuring the BIOS in ways listed here as well as according to the guide http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=167180, did a LOT of tinkering.. HUH...to no avail

2. tried a plethora of flags in all imaginable combinations: -v -f -x -s platform=x86PC platform=ACPI rd=diskXsY (with all values of X & Y) rd=diskX idehalt=0

3. tried patching the iPC iso with iPC_v1.1_PPF patch... but the DVD din't boot = AS USUAL :D

4. tried various kernels but not all : AppleNforceATA, AppleNforceATA_TEST, Vanilla, SleepKernel, Voodo

I've spent countless hours trying to resolve it and went through numerous guides... none to much avail. The mobo is compatible as detailed here but its all on SATA/SATA. As far as I know IDE is rather more compatible. What's wrong with my rig?

Please help. I'll not let it go until I'm done with it. I've installed MANY times but never saw an APPLE screen beyond the grey one ...with a CROSS on it

Thanks in advance.

try SATA/SATA.....!

@aly369

i'm planning t buy a graphic card,.

can u suggest which one will work best with our mobo.

Thanks for the quick reply dude.

FiNALLLLLy

I got past the ERROR....

I played with the IDE/SATA drivers in the iATKos v7 customization & Selected INTEL SATA/IDE driver....

And lo! it went past the "still waiting for Root device"

But then the boot stopped at a blank BLACK SCREEN... GoDDD Damn....

I booted with -V flag... also tried -x (safe mode) but it never reaches anywhere. Any ideas. please...

P.S.: I tried to delete NVIDIA drivers but I cannot even reach the -s mode. Black screen Everywhere.

Vipuljam can you lemme kno your customisation settings... all of em...

Bro... I'm a big time Newbie to OSx86... but can atleast suggest to follow the HCL... that's the most reliable piece of info relating with the hardware. Our mobo doesn't seem to be listed but other 610i are and graphics cards depend largely on that. Here is the wiki: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

browse according to your version.

Hope thats worth something.

Thanks for the quick reply dude.

FiNALLLLLy

I got past the ERROR....

I played with the IDE/SATA drivers in the iATKos v7 customization & Selected INTEL SATA/IDE driver....

And lo! it went past the "still waiting for Root device"

But then the boot stopped at a blank BLACK SCREEN... GoDDD Damn....

I booted with -V flag... also tried -x (safe mode) but it never reaches anywhere. Any ideas. please...

P.S.: I tried to delete NVIDIA drivers but I cannot even reach the -s mode. Black screen Everywhere.

Vipuljam can you lemme kno your customisation settings... all of em...

Bro... I'm a big time Newbie to OSx86... but can atleast suggest to follow the HCL... that's the most reliable piece of info relating with the hardware. Our mobo doesn't seem to be listed but other 610i are and graphics cards depend largely on that. Here is the wiki: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

browse according to your version.

Hope thats worth something.

NO ....

you try SATA HDD & SATA DVD Drive

@gravicle How did you get your pata working... because i install the same same driver but my pata hard drive didnt work

sorry for the delay..

I selected this

DRIVERS

SYSTEM

SATA/IDE

Intel SATA/IDE

Generic IDE

p5n-mx is only marginally ACPI and thus the nForceACPI kexts don't work for our 610i on p5n-mx

@L14M333 it looks like the onboard graphics will never be supported :( by yourself a pci-e graphicscard....

ok nevermind. I have a pci e one but the fans broke but I'm sure I'll figure out something... Also my dads a genius. I has an error while booting what I mentioned on your vid... He was joking around and typed kill and it loads!!!! I love him lol

Right for future cases in case i didn't make it clear... if you get unable to probe or mount errors... wait till you get the last error then about 10 seconds after type kill and press enter... the timing has to be slightly precise i believe so good luck

also P5N MX (610i Chipset)'s onboard graphics seem to have problems... try a PCI-E one

and thanks alot for your help... id never have mac if it wernt for this post

Liam

Hi.. I am trying to install jas 10.4.8 in my pc which has Asus P5N-MX motherboard..

I read many of your posts and flashed the bios, changed "sata controller" to AHCI..

But still its showing "still waiting for the root device..

Can you help me please.. ;)

try SATA/SATA.....!

@aly369

i'm planning t buy a graphic card,.

can u suggest which one will work best with our mobo.

Hi.

Even I have asus P5N-MX mob.. I'm trying to install 10.4.8 in my pc... I flashed the bios and changed "sata controller" to AHCI..

But what do you mean by SATA/SATA and where can I do this setting??

Please reply..

Thanks a ton in advance..

Hi..

I have installed iatkos v7 in my hard disk..

Installation took very long time. And latter the pc got restarted and then their was this white screen with Mac logo on it, which never seemed to change.. I am seeing only the same screen and i am not able to do anything..

I have not installed any os at present..

I chose IDE in sata controller..

At present using Ubuntu live cd..

Please guide me..