[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.5.7 with Chameleon v2 RC2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (Optional update to 10.5.8)

blackosx

511 posts in this topic

there is a new beta bios (f11b) for the ds3l. it adds AHCI v.12.0 support, thus booting about 5 secs faster. Get it here:

http://www.jzelectronic.de/jz2/board.php?s...amp;act=Anzeige (search for ep45-ds3l)

Flashing the board resets all Bios configurations to default (atleast for me), so better take note of ur settings before u start flashing.

Hi DieBuche

Thanks for the reminder :)

I solely concentrate on Snow Leopard these days and have not used 10.5 for a while.

But yes as I posted on my Snow Leopard thread......

Gigabyte have released GA-EP45-DS3L BIOS F11b

At last, the beta bios for this mobo is out and includes ACHI v1.20E to bring us up to the same level as most of the other Gigabyte boards. The main benefit is a faster boot time. I have posted how to go about the update here. Or as Z4g0r has mentioned you can use the @BIOS utility if you have Windows installed.

EDIT: I have updated the front page of this thread to highlight the update.

Hi blackosx,

one million thanks for your guides, I used a combination of three of them, to get my first hackintosh rigg up and running...

I've finally been able to retire an old G4 powermac that's been running my home network.

OS installed : 10.5.8 Leopard Server, with boot think loader, dsdt.aml of f7 bios & the kexts from your 10.5.x guide..

Services running : AFP, SMB, DNS & Open Directory for 2 (real) macs (10.5.8 & 10.6.1), 1 Linux laptop (Fedora 11) and 1 windows htpc (Windows 7 Home Premium & XBMC).

Current hardware setup : Gigabyte GA-P45-UD3L mobo, Intel E5300 2.6 Pentium Dual Core CPU, 4GB of Corsair xms2 800mhz DDR2 ram, Asus en8400gs silent video card, 2 x seagate 1.5tb hdds (raid 1), 2 x wd caviar black 500gb hdds (raid 1), 1 x wd 320gb hdd & a netgear ga311 network adapter.

Only issues left to iron out mainly revolve around the Ethernet adapters, not being able to set manual 1000baseT and jumbo frames - and also the web service won't run as it can't obtain the MAC address for either adaptor.

I can't comment on the video card, as I didn't bother with sound or video as it's a headless server in a cupboard down the hall, the default video works fine for remoting...

Thanks again for the brilliant guides.

Hopefully I'll be able to sort the remaining issues with my networking, through some forum searching?

Hi justdofit - Great! From what you say, you have a good setup there..

There has been talk of the new Realtek drivers enabling Gigabit networking (download from a browser, other than Safari). But be careful the RTGNICv2.0.3.pkg overwrites the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext in IONetworkingFamily.kext / Plugins without further asking ! So it's a good idea to have a backup handy. (I have only tested this on Snow Leopard, though it should work on 10.5). They might help with the web service issue too?

Good luck :P

• 2 weeks later...
G'day,

thanks for that realtek link, got gigabit working on the netgear nic and it also fixed the web service issue.

This box is a complete replacement for the old G4 now. Nice and silent too, no more humming from down the hall...

Fantastic ;)

• 4 months later...

I know not too many people are still following this but I haven't upgraded to Snow Leopard yet so wanted to throw out my problem. I am running this install with DSDT setup as well. It runs fine most of the time but occasionally will give me the "System needs to restart" message where everything freezes up. Just wondering if anyone has any thing I can look at in terms of why it may be throwing that error? I look in the log files and I can find messages about QMaster throwing errors but I'm assuming that is because I moved the framework file to my desktop to allow for FCP to work.

Hi jp9219

Sorry not have replied to your post sooner but I have never used QMaster (which BTW, looks interesting from my quick search). To be honest I don't know what the problem could be and other than trying to find errors in the system/kernel logs, which you say you've already tried, then I could only hazard a guess at disk or memory errors.. Maybe try running disk utility on your HDD?

On a happier note, I do still have this 10.5.8 install up and running on one of my HDD's and use it from time to time :)

Hi jp9219

Sorry not have replied to your post sooner but I have never used QMaster (which BTW, looks interesting from my quick search). To be honest I don't know what the problem could be and other than trying to find errors in the system/kernel logs, which you say you've already tried, then I could only hazard a guess at disk or memory errors.. Maybe try running disk utility on your HDD?

On a happier note, I do still have this 10.5.8 install up and running on one of my HDD's and use it from time to time :)

Hi blackosx

Thanks for the reply. You have done some amazing things and I love my system but that one thing keeps me up at night ^_^ One other thing that I've noticed is that when I have my ipod shuffle plugged in and try to boot the computer up, it will freeze and not boot until I unplug the shuffle. Not sure if this is related at all but thought I'd throw it out there. Also, what would be the best way to check for memory errors?

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Late to the party, just now updating to 10.5.7 and I've run into a problem. When moving the IOAudioFamily.kext and OSvKernDSPLib.kext to Chameleons's /Extra/Extensions folder it goes well, then tells me to authenticate, but the pop up box for my password never appears and it never moves. It just sort of quits out in the middle of the process. I'm sorry if this is covered earlier in the thread somewhere, but I haven't the time to read through 26 pages, thanks in advance.