No LAN on ASUS P5Q Deluxe

114 posts in this topic

Hi Kizwan,

Do you think it's safe to start using this Retail OS as my main OS now?

If you didn't experience any problem (crash or kernel panic), you can start using it as main OS. I'm using both windows 7 & retail Mac OS X as main OS.

Up till now I've still been using the HD with iDeneb on it. Obviously I will need to boot the Retail OS from CD, but I've been reading up on Disk Utility and have found that (if you're able to help me with a boot partition in the future) I can add a partition to the HD without deleting any existing data.

I'm busy lately but I will create your Boot-132 USB as soon as possible & of course I will help you (boot directly from HD) whenever I can. Your HDD drive (the one with retail Mac OS X) was formatted with GUID partition table right?

Also, if I'm able to get Leopard to boot from a partition is it likely that this will also work for the upcoming Snow Leopard OS?

I don't know. AFAIK, it may require another modified kexts for Boot-132.

P.S. Would it be safe to use Migration Assistant to copy my apps etc. from My iDeneb to my Retail disk?

It should be OK. Just select applications. ^_^

kizwan

Yep Kizwan, the retail OS seems to be working fine - no problems at all. Have updated to 10.5.8 using Software Update and everything is cool. Migration Assistant also did a perfect job. The only prob with booting from ROM is that it takes a little while, but that's no biggie.

Really grateful for all the help you've given me. Yes Retail HD is GUID. Would be great to boot from partition but I realize the world doesn't orbit around my computer (lol) so any help you can give me in the future (whenever you have the time) will be gratefully accepted.

Cheers,

Simon

I suspected that you will see that error. This because your network card is not supported by default. We inject it PCI id (device & vendor id) using legacy kext to make it working.

Do you know an application called "EFI Studio"?

kizwan

Hi,

For the past few days I've been trying to install OS X on my PC. Despite the tutorials out there I turned to this thred and managed to get the farthest with OS X install following you guys.

My specs:

Asus P5Q Deluxe

INTEL Core 2 Quad Q9550

Asus 9600 GT Silent

What I managed so far:

Boot with the Boot123 LAN CD kizwan posted. Install Mac OS X 10.5.6 retail. Network worked fine, video didn't. I tried modifying some EFI strings that I read on other topics that would work with my video card but no succes. My Os X would just stop loading. I hen installed again and upgraded to 10.5.8 to see if my card would work but still the same.

I just wated to ask you guys if there's any way I can modify the Boot123 cd to include video drivers for 9600 GT

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Hi Kizwan,

I've downloaded EFI Studio but I can't seem to find any instructions or manual. Having said that, it seems like it shouldn't be too hard to use. Does it somehow inject something called an "EFI String" which could get Time Machine working? Fishing in the dark here so I might have this totally wrong.

Anyways, I've downloaded it, so whenever you're ready......

si

Hi thecos,

It seems like we have pretty similar builds. I think the main difference is that my ATI card is exactly the same as one of the cards used by Apple in the latest Mac Pro (which is why I got it) As soon as I upgraded the Retail OS to 10.5.7 it seemed to start working fine - so I think it's now supported by the Retail OS. (kizwan may correct me on this)

In theory the:

Saphire HD 4870 (Radeon)

or

NVIDIA Geforce GT 120

should work straight out of the box as they are the same ones as in the new Macs (But check with more experienced Hackintoshers) On Amazon they are both about £120 but the HD 4870 is by far the better card and is offered by Apple as a more expensive upgrade.

Hey nomis,

Thanks for your quick answer.

I really didn't make this buid with the mac osx compatibility in mind as I had no plans for it back then but now I can reconfigure it if this is the case. However, I see the 9600 GT is present on current macbook pros - ofcorse, the mobile version of it. Anyway, it doesn't work for me not even with the update to 10.5.8.

How about the rest of the buid? Does the onboard audio work for you? Did you manage to boot it directly from the hard drive? Did you have to modify your bios in any way?

Thanks

I just wated to ask you guys if there's any way I can modify the Boot123 cd to include video drivers for 9600 GT

Hi,

There is a way to add kext(s) to Boot-132 CD. I already wrote step-by-step. Please check my blog (see signature).

I don't know which injector for your 9600 GT. Try go to netkas.org. Looks like there is new (universal) injector for ATI & NVIDIA graphic card.

BTW, it is OK to install injector to /System/Library/Extensions/ folder. Some injector like NVinject.kext need to be installed in /System/Library/Extensions folder to get it working properly.

kizwan

Thanks for your answer. Problem is, when I place kexts in the extensions folder my mac stops from starting and i have to reinstall it again.

Maybe if I try puting them in the boot cd I could switch it easier. Or maybe you can tell me a way to make the changes in the extensions folder revertible.

I really like the way the network driver works with the boot CD, it seems "cleaner".

I'm going to read your blog and then make a few tests and get back to you.

Thanks

Hi Kizwan,

I've downloaded EFI Studio but I can't seem to find any instructions or manual. Having said that, it seems like it shouldn't be too hard to use. Does it somehow inject something called an "EFI String" which could get Time Machine working? Fishing in the dark here so I might have this totally wrong.

I will make a screenshot later here how to use it. You should be able to see a drop-down menu, the one contain "AZAL and Ethernet". Try to select "Ethernet" & press "add" button (or similar). If there is no error, we might be able to get time machine working using the easy way (EFI).

............... As soon as I upgraded the Retail OS to 10.5.7 it seemed to start working fine - so I think it's now supported by the Retail OS. (kizwan may correct me on this)

We still need injector (for example Natit.kext, NVinject.kext) to make our graphic card working in Mac OS X even though that graphic card is very similar with original mac pro configuration. Unless you take it out from mac pro itself. :rolleyes: @nomis66, you did installed driver (injector) for your graphic card right? and yours starting to work after 10.5.7 but still need injector.

kizwan

Thanks for your answer. Problem is, when I place kexts in the extensions folder my mac stops from starting and i have to reinstall it again.

Maybe if I try puting them in the boot cd I could switch it easier. Or maybe you can tell me a way to make the changes in the extensions folder revertible.

I really like the way the network driver works with the boot CD, it seems "cleaner".

Can you give me the link or the name of the driver (the one make your mac stop working)? I will try to take a look.

Most of the time if we messed up our "Extensions" we can always revert to working state by booting to single-user-mode. Just boot with "-s" & mount file system with read-write mode (mount -uw /). Of course after that you need to "execute" a couple of commands (most probably "rm -rf", "cp -R").

It should be easy to re-build the Boot-132 CD (with new kext(s)) but if you faced any problem just ask me.

I tried to install it using the info from this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...48188&st=20 .

Previously I was trying to install iDeneb and iAtkos and selected different nvinjects from the builds with the exact result: After Apple logo appeared on boot, a light blue screen appeared and just stuck on it.

I also downloaded some driver with a nice install package, I cannot find the link right now but it had a Mac OS X installer and it managed to get the same blue screen and no OS X start.

So every single atempt to install it, either in iDeneb iAtkos or OS X Retail resulted in the same thing. Seems strange to me cuz people say it works for them, I must be doing something wrong repeatedly.

Thanks, I appreciate your help

I tried to install it using the info from this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...48188&st=20 .

It looks like just an EFI string. Doesn't involved installation of any kext. Did you mean after adding the EFI string, it just stuck at "blue" screen? I don't see anything special with the guide. You can always achieved that with "EFI Studio" or "OSx86 Tools".

Try search for injector for your graphic card at netkas.org. It may require new injector for your graphic card. It is better to try/use an injector (kext) instead an EFI string. First try put it in /S/L/E directory, if it is working then we try to put it in Boot-132.

@nomis66,

*HDD = harddisk drive (in case somebody don't know what it means.... :thumbsup_anim: )

In this post I have prepared:-

1) Boot-132 USB - give you ability to boot faster using flash drive.

2) EFI bootloader - for HDD with GUID partition table only.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Boot-132 USB

1)

2)

- I have mistakenly uploaded Boot-132 USB image with read/write mode. Below is how to change it to the default format so that we can restore it to a flash drive.

- How to restore read/write Boot-132 USB image to a flash drive:-

1) Mount the Boot-132 USB image (downloaded from the above link)

2) Open Disk Utility & select the mounted volume

post-125711-1250313492_thumb.jpg

3) Click "New Image" to dump it again with "compressed" format (default format) - rename it to another name

post-125711-1250313775_thumb.jpg

4) Unmount & eject the Boot-132 USB image

5) Now we need to do "Scan Image for Restore..." to the
new Boot-132 USB

post-125711-1250314360_thumb.jpg

6) After the
new Boot-132 USB
image has been scanned, we can restore it to a flash drive

post-125711-1250314623_thumb.jpg

7) (
WARNING: do this carefully
) Now we need to make the flash drive bootable. To make thing much easier, unplug or eject any other drives
except
the HDD that contain Mac OS X & the flash drive. We need to do this in Terminal (where
rdisk1
is your flash drive):-

sudo -s
fdisk -f /Volumes/Boot132USB/usr/standalone/i386/boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk1
dd if=/Volumes/Boot132USB/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s1 2>/dev/null

This is OPTIONAL. You can create a slipstream Mac OS X installer using external harddisk. Where you can restore Boot-132 USB on first partition & Mac OS X install DVD on second partition. The first partition for Boot-132 USB don't need more than 250MB. By using this method, you don't need to switch CD when installing Mac OS X, actually no CD involved at all. Please refer to my internal & external harddisk layout where internal is GUID & external is MBR.

internalexternalhddlayo.jpg

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

EFI bootloader - installation for GUID only

Please grab Chameleon 2 RC1 installer over here:- http://www.mediafire.com/?l19yfydqoco

Follow this simple step-by-step on how to install Chameleon 2 RC1 to EFI partition:-

1) Double-click to launch the Chameleon 2 RC1 installer & you will immediately see this welcome window. Click Continue.

post-125711-1250049240_thumb.jpg

2) (I have skip a couple of unimportant screenshot) When you arrive at this windows, click Customize button.

post-125711-1250049319_thumb.jpg

3) Make sure your selection is similar with this selection. Of course we need to select "Chameleon EFI HFS" because we're using EFI partition to boot Mac OS X. After that click Install.

post-125711-1250049359_thumb.jpg

4) Grab this installer to install all necessary KEXTs file for ASUS P5Q Deluxe to the EFI partition.

http://www.mediafire.com/?jjzxgyydymb

post-125711-1250423264_thumb.jpgpost-125711-1250423299_thumb.jpg

There are two packages in the installer where the first one is for ASUS P5Q Deluxe while the second one also for ASUS P5Q Deluxe but with additional support for ATI Radeon HD 2×00 3×00 4870 4850. You can only choose one package during installation.

The guide is complete now! :)

kizwan

What I did was add the EFI string using OSXTools and also modify some .plist files in the system directory.

How do I revert the EFI string in safe mode so that I can try to install some kext drivers without reinstalling os x?

I'm going to make some tests tonight and get back to you with my results.

Thanks

Hey, great news!

I tried the universal injector from your link and when I rebooted I got the same blue screen. It seemed very odd so I switched the video card with another 9600 GT I have but different brand. And now it works ;)

Not sure whether to update or not though - don't wanna ruin it :(

Well if update works next step is to install bootloader onto hdd I guess.

Thanks for helping me out, this is great!

Hey, great news!

I tried the universal injector from your link and when I rebooted I got the same blue screen. It seemed very odd so I switched the video card with another 9600 GT I have but different brand. And now it works :thumbsup_anim:

Maybe the one with "blue screen" problem need custom EFI string. Maybe need to identify which layout it use (VGA+DVI or DVI+VGA - something like that). However it is great that it works on another card.

For update, just go ahead. You never know until you try it. :)

kizwan

I'll just stick with the working card, it's fine for me.

While I was playing with my new mac last night I bumped into another problem: system just stuck after a while - some random applications just stopped working and couln't force close them. And when I restarted the computer I wouldn't start. It stuck to the part where veryfing USB controllers.

When I umplugged my usb devides and restarted it worked fine. So I thought (I don't know why :D ) I should upgrade to the latest BIOS. So I did but now MAC doesn't start anymore. I previously used an older BIOS but modified for MAC OS compatibility.

So now, should I revert the BIOS change - but how can I fix the USB problem?

Have you had any similar experiences or do you know any possible solutions for this?

Ok I updated and video and LAN is ok. ITunes just stopped responding and now I can't force quit.

I suppose something is wrong somewhere. Are there any logs on the MAC that I can inspect to debug for system problems?

Check /var/log/system.log

AFAIK, nomis66 didn't faced this kind of problem. You need to check with nomis66, what are the differences between you two. BIOS version, modified BIOS or not, where you get the modified BIOS.

I got the modified BIOS from this post:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=136586

I'm going to check for the logs tomorrow and also experiment with different bios settings.

Also, have you tried or know anything about booting from a hard drive when configured in bios as RAID? My windows install is on a raid strip and it would be easier for me to stop changing RAID to AHCI each time I want to boot into Mac

I got the modified BIOS from this post:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=136586

nomis66 use "JUZZI's 1702 modded BIOs for the ASUS P5Q Deluxe". Please confirm with nomis66 first.

Also, have you tried or know anything about booting from a hard drive when configured in bios as RAID? My windows install is on a raid strip and it would be easier for me to stop changing RAID to AHCI each time I want to boot into Mac

Sorry, I don't have experience with RAID.

Please post your "system.log" file here & I will try to examine it.

Hi again Kizwan,

Firstly, yes I did use "Juzzi's 1702 Asus_P5Q_Deluxe_Bios" and it worked fine for me so I think it should probably work for thecos too.

Secondly, I think I've got myself in a bit of a mess here. I started by mirroring my HD to another drive so it doesn't really matter if things go wrong. Anyway, this is what I've done so far:

I expanded EFI Studio to the Desktop. When I choose the AZAL drop down it says "AZAL not available on this machine" When I choose Ethernet I'm given the options: Save Hex, Save XML, Hex String to Clipboard and Write to com.apple.Boot.plst. I chose the last option but it doesn't seem to have got TM working.

I also created a separate partition on my HD (called Chameleon EFI HDS) and installed Chameleon onto that partition (following your instructions) but, although I can see the partition at startup (after pressing 81) it won't let me boot from the partition.

Sorry, Iknow this should probably be very simple......

si

Actually I just realized that I had to change my Boot Priority to boot from the partition. I'm now able to boot Chameleon - I get the Chameleon start up screen which gives me a choice of HDs to open (Remember I have Leopard on two HD - One for testing purposes) No matter which HD I choose to start from I get the Chameleon/Apple logo but unfortunately the little wheel just keeps on spinning. I've tried it with and without the 132 Rom inserted.

Actually I just realized that I had to change my Boot Priority to boot from the partition. I'm now able to boot Chameleon - I get the Chameleon start up screen which gives me a choice of HDs to open (Remember I have Leopard on two HD - One for testing purposes) No matter which HD I choose to start from I get the Chameleon/Apple logo but unfortunately the little wheel just keeps on spinning. I've tried it with and without the 132 Rom inserted.

The Chameleon instruction is not finished yet. So you will not able to boot with EFI partition yet. We still not yet copied all the kexts from Boot-132 to EFI partition. I will come out the instruction later.

Please use Boot-132 CD/USB for the time being.

I expanded EFI Studio to the Desktop. When I choose the AZAL drop down it says "AZAL not available on this machine" When I choose Ethernet I'm given the options: Save Hex, Save XML, Hex String to Clipboard and Write to com.apple.Boot.plst. I chose the last option but it doesn't seem to have got TM working.

No need to choose AZAL. I just want to show you where it is. We only need to choose Ethernet. You are correct when you choose "Write to com.apple.Boot.plist". I assume you already reboot your computer after doing that, right?

I also created a separate partition on my HD (called Chameleon EFI HDS) and installed Chameleon onto that partition (following your instructions) but, although I can see the partition at startup (after pressing 81) it won't let me boot from the partition.

Do you create the partition manually? Strange because EFI partition automatically created when the HDD formatted using GUID partition table. It is hidden partition. It is not visible in Disk Utility. However, we will be able to mount it via Terminal. As I said earlier, I will come out the instruction later. Please continue to boot using Boot-132 CD/USB.

By the way, have you tried Boot-132 USB I prepared for you? It should work like Boot-132 CD. If you have extra external harddisk, you can restore both Boot-132 USB & Mac OS X Install DVD to it. Just format the external HDD with MBR partition & create two partition where the first one just 200MB. Please refer to post #63 to understand what I'm saying. ;)