Core i7 build for Pro Tools LE

85 posts in this topic

Okay VooD, I have vanillia installed Leopard to the velociraptor through a USB enclosure...

I like this boot-132 method! It feels cleaner, and I was able to update to 10.5.7 without any headaches!

I used cdboot132, installed leopard to guid/hfs partition, restarted, booted with cdboot again, installed chameleon 2 RC1, copied the kext from your extra folder to my HD's extra folder, installed 10.5.7... restarted... great success!

As a bonus, now I can shut the computer off; couldn't with iDeneb!

I just have a couple of questions before I stick it in the i7 build tomorrow...

1) Should I wait to do the DSDT patcher until the HD is in the new machine, or do it on my Q6600 with the other motherboard? I delete disabler after doing this??

2) I have the UD4P instead of the UD5... so I have the RTL8111DL ethernet instead of the R1000... will that kext work, or do I need a different one? On my Q6600 board, the ethernet is automatically recognized! :D

3) Will my same EFI-string for video card work, or will it be different on the new motherboard?

4) Anyway to get the sound to work from \extra instead of \s\l\e? I do need onboard as well as my pro audio card.

Not too many questions this time I hope! Also, anything else I need to do to the Leopard install before dissembling this computer and putting together the new one?

Okay VooD, I have vanillia installed Leopard to the velociraptor through a USB enclosure...

I like this boot-132 method! It feels cleaner, and I was able to update to 10.5.7 without any headaches!

I used cdboot132, installed leopard to guid/hfs partition, restarted, booted with cdboot again, installed chameleon 2 RC1, copied the kext from your extra folder to my HD's extra folder, installed 10.5.7... restarted... great success!

As a bonus, now I can shut the computer off; couldn't with iDeneb!

I just have a couple of questions before I stick it in the i7 build tomorrow...

1) Should I wait to do the DSDT patcher until the HD is in the new machine, or do it on my Q6600 with the other motherboard? I delete disabler after doing this??

2) I have the UD4P instead of the UD5... so I have the RTL8111DL ethernet instead of the R1000... will that kext work, or do I need a different one? On my Q6600 board, the ethernet is automatically recognized! ;)

3) Will my same EFI-string for video card work, or will it be different on the new motherboard?

4) Anyway to get the sound to work from \extra instead of \s\l\e? I do need onboard as well as my pro audio card.

Not too many questions this time I hope! Also, anything else I need to do to the Leopard install before dissembling this computer and putting together the new one?

1.- It should be made on the i7. Don't delete disabler. It is also needed to prevent a bug with nvidia cards and latest quicktine

2.- Both have the same ethernet chip. It should work.

3.- You have to use a different efi string for each card.

4.- Use the audio kexts I included in the package. It will modify 1 vanilla file though. You have to install it to your i7's \System\Library\Extra and set the correct permissions (or just boot your i7 and install it using kext helper)

You better assemble the new components outside the computer case...just in case you still need your old q6600 to do something.

NICE!!!!

Built the new machine, it booted Leopard first try! Second boot and I have video/ethernet working...

Just got to get the sound working and do the smbios/dmdt, and I'm set ;)

Great. I heard this is a good smbios.plist (if you are using Chameleon 2) for i7 920

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MP31.88Z.00C1.B00.0802091544</string>
<key>SMmanufacter</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacPro3,1</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>WTF8675309A</string>
<key>SMexternalclock</key>
<string>333</string>
<key>SMmemtype</key>
<string>24</string>
<key>SMmemspeed</key>
<string>667</string>
<key>SMmemmanufacter_1</key>
<string>0xAD00000000000000</string>
<key>SMmemserial_1</key>
<string>0x00001020</string>
<key>SMmempart_1</key>
<string>0x48594D503131325336344350362D59352020</string>
<key>SMmemmanufacter_2</key>
<key>SMmemserial_2</key>
<string>0x00003021</string>
<key>SMmempart_2</key>
<key>SMmemmanufacter_3</key>
<key>SMmemserial_3</key>
<key>SMmempart_3</key>
<key>SMmemmanufacter_4</key>
<key>SMmemserial_4</key>
<key>SMmempart_4</key>
</dict>
</plist>

Goes at \Extra

Also is a good idea to include a network efi string with osx86 tools in order to prevent some applications and timemachine to fail.

Thanks for the smbios, works well! Got the DMDT patched too...

Can't get the sound to work though; I installed the kexts you provided in /S/L/E, repaired permissions, and rebuild the cache...

Now the sound shows up in System Profiler as

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A102

Audio ID: 12

Available Devices:

but when I go to the sound pane in preferences, it only shows "no output devices found"

As for the ethernet string... I do need to do that (I belive Omnisphere needs that to run), but I don't know how to join strings together; I tried before with a 8800 and 8500 and ended up with only kernel panics...

Thanks for the smbios, works well! Got the DMDT patched too...

Can't get the sound to work though; I installed the kexts you provided in /S/L/E, repaired permissions, and rebuild the cache...

Now the sound shows up in System Profiler as

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A102

Audio ID: 12

Available Devices:

but when I go to the sound pane in preferences, it only shows "no output devices found"

As for the ethernet string... I do need to do that (I belive Omnisphere needs that to run), but I don't know how to join strings together; I tried before with a 8800 and 8500 and ended up with only kernel panics...

For joining efi strings what I do is creating the efi string for the vga with osx86 tools, and saving it to a file. Then I create the efi string for the ethernet and I save it again to another file. Finally I use osx86 tools merging/joining function to put both together.

You could also try voodoohda.kext instead for audio. But you have to delete the audio injector kext and applehda.kext before you can get it working.

OK, so I got everything in the mail, put it all together, and I'm rollin'!

Thanks a million VooD!

I do have a few issues that I'd love to hear from you about before I open a new thread in the installation section.

1. I couldn't find the "no execute cpu option" in the bios. I'm not sure how important that is.

2. The clock is fast. other things seem to be a little too fast also, like bouncing dock icons.

3. Ethernet was working yesterday, but it stopped working this morning. System profiler doesn't even see it. I restarted after installing iWork and iLife and it was gone. I think I had also used OSX86 Tools to change my "about this mac" info. Those where the only three things that changed when it stopped working.

4. I used the VoodooHDA for the audio, which works fine. No issues, just thought I should mention it. (USB Mbox works well too)

Thanks again,

Ryan

OK, so I got everything in the mail, put it all together, and I'm rollin'!

Thanks a million VooD!

I do have a few issues that I'd love to hear from you about before I open a new thread in the installation section.

1. I couldn't find the "no execute cpu option" in the bios. I'm not sure how important that is.

2. The clock is fast. other things seem to be a little too fast also, like bouncing dock icons.

3. Ethernet was working yesterday, but it stopped working this morning. System profiler doesn't even see it. I restarted after installing iWork and iLife and it was gone. I think I had also used OSX86 Tools to change my "about this mac" info. Those where the only three things that changed when it stopped working.

4. I used the VoodooHDA for the audio, which works fine. No issues, just thought I should mention it. (USB Mbox works well too)

Thanks again,

Ryan

1.- No execute option is needed in order to be able to boot osx. Some bioses can name it differently. And maybe some ones have it turn it on by default and doesn't include a way to disable it(I think that's your case).

2.- Weird, I didn't notice that on the i7s I built. Try the smbios.plist for Chameleon2 RC1 I included some posts ago. I heard it solves it on some mobos, but really...that didn't happen when I assembled those computers, did you put your patched DSDT.aml at root?

3.- That also happened to me once. The solution was to disable the ethernet in the bios, save, boot, reboot, enable the ethernet in the bios, save and reboot. It should work. I really don't know why it happens.

4.- Great.

Let me know if by putting the DSDT.aml the clock problem is solved (do this before putting the smbios.plist, so I can confirm I didn't have the problem because I was using a patched aml)

thanks for the response VooD. I got the ethernet working, but this clock thing is really perplexing me. I've tried other installations as well, including Digital Dreamer's script using both the v1.012 and v2.0 RC1 options and I still have the clock issue. I'm afraid that something is wrong with my bios settings since it seems to be the same with multiple installations. I've tried resetting my CMOS, but that didn't seem to help. I tried your smbios.plist both in your installation and in D_D's Chameleon 2.0 installation. Sorry to be discussing post installation thing in this post, but it might make sense to leave it here for continuity.

Thanks so much!

Ryan

thanks for the response VooD. I got the ethernet working, but this clock thing is really perplexing me. I've tried other installations as well, including Digital Dreamer's script using both the v1.012 and v2.0 RC1 options and I still have the clock issue. I'm afraid that something is wrong with my bios settings since it seems to be the same with multiple installations. I've tried resetting my CMOS, but that didn't seem to help. I tried your smbios.plist both in your installation and in D_D's Chameleon 2.0 installation. Sorry to be discussing post installation thing in this post, but it might make sense to leave it here for continuity.

Thanks so much!

Ryan

What about DSDT.aml?

Anyway, it seems you are kind of messing your installation if your are using DD's scripts after following my instructions.

Have you tried setting the time to automatically update from Apple's servers?

That have nothing to do with his problem. It's the system clock what runs faster than the usual, making animations and everything to run faster.

yeah, it's a bigger problem than just the clock. That's just a symptom really. When I play movies in VLC, it plays about 30% too fast, and movies in quicktime are jumpy, as if the system keeps adjusting the playback speed every few frames. Garage Band won't play for more than a few seconds before it gives me an error about something being out of sync. I've googled the problem, and most people that see it were trying to overclock, which I'm not.

Ryan

yeah, it's a bigger problem than just the clock. That's just a symptom really. When I play movies in VLC, it plays about 30% too fast, and movies in quicktime are jumpy, as if the system keeps adjusting the playback speed every few frames. Garage Band won't play for more than a few seconds before it gives me an error about something being out of sync. I've googled the problem, and most people that see it were trying to overclock, which I'm not.

Ryan

What about DSDT.aml??????

Do you have yours installed?

oh, sorry, I forgot to mention. Yes I've tried both with and without DSDT.aml on all of the installation's I've tried. I used the DSDT patcher that you supplied on your installation and the DSDT patcher in Digital Dreamer's script for his installations.

I have two drives, and whenever I started a new installation, I erased the drive and started from scratch, so cross-contamination between the installations I don't think is the problem. i'm pretty sure I've had this problem from the first installation.

Thanks again so much for your time.

Ryan

oh, sorry, I forgot to mention. Yes I've tried both with and without DSDT.aml on all of the installation's I've tried. I used the DSDT patcher that you supplied on your installation and the DSDT patcher in Digital Dreamer's script for his installations.

I have two drives, and whenever I started a new installation, I erased the drive and started from scratch, so cross-contamination between the installations I don't think is the problem. i'm pretty sure I've had this problem from the first installation.

Thanks again so much for your time.

Ryan

I'm completly clueless about. I built two i7's with those components and I didn't notice your problem. Also JustinAiken assembled his i7 with similar ones and also have no problems with the system clock.

I heard some people have had similar problems, specially with asus boards, but they are solved by using the smbios.plist I posted before.

Thanks VooD,

The good news is that Pro Tools seems to be working perfectly, which is the main reason I built this system. I think I'm going to bring up the issue over at Digital Dreamer's thread, since there seem to be a ton of people over there that may be able to help.

Ryan

Holy {censored}, problem solved. I was doing some more searching today and found this post where Digital Dreamer said that the older Bootloader (Chameleon 1.012) is not compatible with the vanilla kernel. So I used OSX86 to install Voodoo 9.6.0 into Digital Dreamer's 1.012 script install and VIOLA!!! it worked.

I think that I'll stick with this install since everything seems to be working (haven't tried sound in this build yet, I have my Mbox). One of the problem that I had with your build was that my Waves plug ins weren't loading properly and my iLok wouldn't authorize automatically.

Thanks for all your help!

Ryan

Thanks VooD,

The good news is that Pro Tools seems to be working perfectly, which is the main reason I built this system. I think I'm going to bring up the issue over at Digital Dreamer's thread, since there seem to be a ton of people over there that may be able to help.

Ryan

Mmmm, are you using 1333 mhz ram as I did on the i7s I build?

Maybe that's the problem. Check with cpu-z in windows which speed is your bus running and replace

<key>SMexternalclock</key>

<string>333</string>

in your smbios.plist (only works with chameleon2) with the frequency you get there.

I'm using 1600 ram in mine, and edited the smbios accordingly... only problem with the clock going fast is it seems to go faster when I'm wasting time than working! ;)

I think if you are using 1600 mhz ram you problably have to modify the plist with 400 instead of 333. But anyway take a look at cpu-z in windows.

Oh, I just changed memspeed to 1600... seems to work though!

Then, no more fast clock???

Btw, how are your temperatures overclocked with the noctua? I never did any overclocking tests when I build those i7's. Does it get much more noisier?

Hi Vood,

Thanks for your assistance on this thread I got everything up and running with the zip file you've compiled.

I'm having a strange problem with Geekbench, seems i'm only getting 5600 with the CPU running at 3.8ghz, could a kext be causing it?

I've also noticed the Geekbench score does not change when I change the CPU speed, very strange.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Did you set your cpu a 3800 mhz in your bios???

Hi Vood,

Thanks for your assistance on this thread I got everything up and running with the zip file you've compiled.

I'm having a strange problem with Geekbench, seems i'm only getting 5600 with the CPU running at 3.8ghz, could a kext be causing it?

I've also noticed the Geekbench score does not change when I change the CPU speed, very strange.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers,