Final nail in the coffin for PPC

5 posts in this topic

With Apple announcing its next OS today. Snow Leopard can only be installed on Intel macs, no PPC included.

General Requirements:

Mac computer with an Intel processor

Read more about the requirements here: Clicky

PPC made a good run, but Intel's finally taken over.

With Apple announcing its next OS today. Snow Leopard can only be installed on Intel macs, no PPC included.

that is where it frees 6Gb of space upon install and gains install speed - ppc binaries just cut out

i think that's a fair move, PPCs are close to obsolete when i7's are out plus there's too little power to handle modern OS and soft - it just has to happen at some time

• 4 weeks later...

I disagree completely with both of you.

What exactly do you mean by "last nail in the coffin"? If you mean they won't make them anymore, that happened years ago. It seems like you are probably talking about the fact that they won't be running Snow Leopard. SL has very few new features. It is basically just a faster Leopard (not by a large margin either). I don't agree that the fact that the PPCs won't be running SL means they are dead. Far from it.

The high-end multi chip G5s are monsters and Leopard 10.5.7 is a fantastic OS. It will be several years before the PPC is dead. Only software makers that are completely stupid would make software for SL only. Any decent title by a legit company will run on Leopard. The installed user base is just too large to ignore anytime soon.

So perhaps you would like to clarify your claims (unless you are just twittering...lol).

At first I was really unhappy to hear of the PPC demise. However, that has changed. RISC was/is good for embedded or single purposes machines. Like a gaming machine, a car's internal computer, or an internet router. It seems to be a perfect fit and IBM marketed itself as such.

I am sure the PowerPC, Cell, or Power chip would have been fine for Apple if they had stayed on that roadmap but the G5 is over 5 years old and has become obsolete for many modern applications. The direction IBM was taking those chips was not really beneficial to Apple. Perhaps in the future you will see a Power-type coprocessor in macs but that is only my speculation. Who knows what Apple has up its sleeve for the next 10 years of computing.

What is fair to say is that Apple is embracing Intel 100% in snow leopard. I see Snow Leo as an optimization of the current OS before they move forward for the next decade. Jobs and Co have their roadmaps 10+ years out. I have a feeling the OS after Snow Leopard will start to shed more light and be a baby step in the new roadmap.

I am sure they will still call it Mac OS X but it will feel more like Mac OS XI as far as features. The only way to do this is by solidifying their move to Intel and lay groundwork for where they see computing going... With PA Semi and all the core goodness of 10.6 like grand central and OpenCL, who knows what is in Apple's 10 year future. Video recognition? Voice Recognition? CloudOS? Netbook? AI?