Snow Leopard on VAIO P(VGN-P90HS) working!

ryuu123

530 posts in this topic

Hi ryuu123, may I know if 10.6.6 usb problem has been solved? I'm thinking of installing mac onto my first-gen vaio p (I did it before) but I need 10.6.6 because of Xcode.

Thanks!

Anyone? I need to update my 1101HA (GMA500 chipset) to 10.6.7 at least to have a working wifi, but 10.6.6 and later lead to a hang at startup. It is really getting desperate... I know that I should have bought another netbook to use with linux and as a hackintosh., but this is the one I have and the one I can use right now.

Thanks!

Just a few words on my quest to get Snow Leopard on my Vaio P15G.

I managed to get it running and as a further step, I installed Chameleon on the EFI partition instead.

It's working pretty nicely at the moment but some features still need fixing.

Brightness keys need to be fixed, sleep seems to just turn the screen off, bluetooth isn't detected.

On the plus side, About this mac works but the information will need modding. No kexts are installed on S/L/E because I copied over dependencies needed for VoodooHDA and stuff. I'm not sure if updating will break this but we'll see.

Just a few words on my quest to get Snow Leopard on my Vaio P15G.

I managed to get it running and as a further step, I installed Chameleon on the EFI partition instead.

It's working pretty nicely at the moment but some features still need fixing.

Brightness keys need to be fixed, sleep seems to just turn the screen off, bluetooth isn't detected.

On the plus side, About this mac works but the information will need modding. No kexts are installed on S/L/E because I copied over dependencies needed for VoodooHDA and stuff. I'm not sure if updating will break this but we'll see.

I've also installed Chameleon (RC2) on the EFI partition. I tried building and installing RC5 (Meklort branch, with GMA500 support), but no luck, I can't get it to boot. I also seem to be stuck at 10.6.5. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hello ryuu123.

I am trying install Macosx Snow leopard on 2nd generation Vaio P.

I had succesfully installed it on 1st generation.

Although i can load the installer and start the installation process in about 70% of the way installation is failing.

Do you have any idea why this is happening?

Has anyone successfully installed snow leopard on 2nd generation Vaio P

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I am a French user, so sorry in advance for my English. ;)

Does anyone have a procedure to install Snow Leopard on a Sony Vaio VGN-p19vn 8" SSD ?

I took notes of post # 2 "Vaio P Snow Leopard", but that does not work. I get stuck from the start, on the apple.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Hi all,

I've been lucky enough to score a cheap Vaio P, and setting about putting 10.6 onto it. Has anyone had much success past 10.6.5? So far I've been able to get plain 10.6.0 running, everything works OK, but it restarts on shutdown - have to manually switch it off. Since it's such a trial and error process, I'm running OS X off a 32GB Mini Lexar USB stick so I can image the drive off my other Mac each time I go further. Picky little laptop, that's for sure.

And I'm not trying to be too critical, but this is one confusing thread with all the vaioxxxxx.zip updates floating around - those with working setups, what do you have in your Extras and S/L/E folders as bare minimum?

Can someone please explain how to install the *.sh patches, and can I put the latest boot file onto my 10.6.0 install and be confident enough to update to 10.6.5?

Thank you

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone here for a great job. I can use OS 10.6.4 on my Vaio P25T. 1600x768 on this tiny machine is really amazing.

Since still lake of GMA500 driver, I'm trying to install Broadcom BCM70015 crystal HD hardware decoder to my P25T. I just removed the embedded WiFi mini pcie and then replace with crystal HD.

However, after boot up, it stucks on VAIOPEnabler. I also tried GMAEnabler.kext, no luck at all.

@Ryuu: thanks for the great efforts. I wish you can have a look at this. Really wanna have P25T play smooth media files on OSX.

photo11.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hello friends!

I'm also struggling with Snow Leopard and my Sony Vaio P. As this forum is kinda inactive for a while, I want to know if anybody managed to update to 10.6.8 successfully. I heard that vanilla kernel has some issues with the atom processor. So, is there a way to update to the new 10.6.8 but preserving our patched atom kernel from 10.6.4? I really need to update it to 10.6.8 because I need to run a software that requires 10.6.8.

I read here: http://prasys.info/2011/06/howto-macos-x-10-6-8-and-intel-atoms/ that using nawcom's legacy kernel for 10.6.8 will work fine with atom cpus and 10.6.8 update. I just want to know if anybody tested that before. If not, I think I will adventure on that and post the results latter. My only worries are about jumping from 10.6.4 straight to 10.6.8. What kexts should I backup?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I updated my Snow to 10.6.8 successfully, but with some problems. Initially I installed iPortable 10.6.2 on my hd which was working flawlessly (including usb, wifi wwan and sound) booting the included atom_kernel. Then I updated to 10.6.8 using nawcom's legacy kernel (http://blog.nawcom.com/?p=791). At the first boot I got stucked at "still waiting for the root device". So I booted using my original iPortable 10.6.2 USB Stick and replaces some ATA kexts (IOATAFamily and IntelPIIXATA) from 10.6.2 on usb stick to my 10.6.8 on hd. Then it booted but still with some problems, like system is very slow and unresponsive, drives don’t mount automatically, wifi is disabled, boot takes longer, menu bar locks up frequently… it was really hard to use it after 10.6.8 upgrade. I don't know if that was some kexts problem or if this nawcom's kernel is having problems with Vaio P hardware. Do anyone have a solution for this? I really need 10.6.8 on my machine, but now I had to downgrade to 10.6.2 for it to be usable. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

I got 10.6.7 working on my P15G (Z530, 64GB SSD). I attempted multiple times though, so I'm not sure whether my installation steps are correct. Sometimes I try the same thing, and it doesn't work on the first time but strangely on the second.

Credits:

ryuu123 (of course!)

http://blog.livedoor...es/5145208.html

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=277983

fr3z3rburn http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1313083

0. Files

0.1 Snow Leopard 10.6.0.dmg (or DVD)

0.2 Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin.tar.gz

0.3 vaiop20091014us - the 2010 files didn't work for me when I tried to update.

0.4 Kext Helper b7

0.5 Mac OS X 10.6.7 Combo Update

0.6 10.6.7 Legacy Kernel

0.7 *vaiop20090910 (I'm not sure if you need this)

1. USB

1.1 Format USB as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled), GUID partition table.

1.2 Restore from Snow Leopard 10.6.0 Retail.

1.3 Extract Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin.tar.gz, vaiop20091014us

1.4 Terminal

df
Check which volume is your flash drive with the SL installer on it.
e.g. (/dev/disk1s3, /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD)

sudo -s

cd (Chameleon extract location)/i386
fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk1 (replace accordingly)
dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s3 (replace accordingly)
cp boot "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD" (replace accordingly)

cd (vaiop20091014us extract location)
cp DSDT.aml "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD" (replace accordingly)
cp -r Extra "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD" (replace accordingly)

2. Install

2.1 Boot up from USB, select Snow Leopard installer

2.2 Partition your hard disk in GUID partition table

I followed the guide and made this:

- Snow (20GB) - Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)

- Windows (20GB) - exFAT

- Share (the rest) - MS-DOS (FAT)

NOTE: IF YOU WANT TO DUAL-BOOT, YOU SHOULD STOP HERE AND INSTALL WINDOWS FIRST.

2.3 Install

2.4 Leave the USB there when installation is done!

3. First boot

3.1 Boot from USB, select hard disk that you installed to

3.2 Setup like normal

3.3 Copy Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin.tar.gz, vaiop20091014us, Kext Helper b7 to Desktop

If USB doesn't work for you, redownload them using wireless (wireless should be working)

3.4 Terminal

df
Check which volume is your hard disk with SL on it.
e.g. (/dev/disk0s2)

sudo -s

cd (Chameleon extract location)/i386
fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0 (replace accordingly)
dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2 (replace accordingly)
cp boot /

cd (vaiop20091014us extract location)
cp DSDT.aml /
cp -r Extra /

3.4.5 exit

3.5 Launch Kext Helper b7

3.5.1 Drag GMA500BacklightDisplay.kext, VoodooHDA.kext from vaiop20091014us into Kext Helper

3.5.2 Type in your password -> Easy Install

3.6 Terminal

sudo -s

rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext (not sure if this step is needed)
sh /Extra/extra.sh (wait very long here, until a lot of log text appears)

3.7 I rebooted here to make sure everything is working.

4. Update

4.1 Navigate to /System/Library/Extensions and copy IOATAFamily.kext to Desktop (backup)

4.2 Run Combo Update 10.6.7

4.3 DO NOT RESTART WHEN IT IS DONE

4.4 Terminal

sudo -s

cd (folder with your legacy kernel)
cp legacy_kernel.10.6.7 /
cd /
rm mach_kernel
mv legacy_kernel.10.6.7 mach_kernel

4.5 Kext Helper b7

4.5.1 Drag IOATAFamily.kext from Desktop into Kext Helper

4.5.2 Type in password -> Easy Install

4.6 Reboot

Brightness controls stopped working for me after I updated to 10.6.7.

I don't think Sleep works, and I'm not going to try. :(

If anyone managed to get 10.6.8 to work, please let me know. Thanks :)

EDIT:

If you didn't install Windows first, follow this guide to get dual-boot working on Chameleon.

(I had to format the Windows drive to exFAT in OS X to get it installable through Windows 7 installer.)

Hey,

Got MacOS X 10.6.8 fully working on my old Vaio P11Z.It is very stable & pretty much everything is working.

I've updated from SL 10.6 using this kernel http://www.mediafire...0rb9f8an9bgl6wk and doing a backup of the previous IOATAFamily.kext and restoring it after the update (without rebooting of course).

For sleep, search for SleepEnabler.kext.10.6.8.zip it should work. Backlight is not working like in your case. I wonder if Lion or even Mountain Lion can work on the Vaio P using the patched kernel. I will first backup my hard drive and try the update ;)

Oh and the Appstore is working also but you have to apply the software updates first otherwise you will get an error message :wink2:

Is Flash working on your Vaio ? Mine shows a black screen with delayed sound.

• Like 1

I've heard that 10.6.8 is slower, but I'm not very sure.

My Chrome is very laggy, how's yours?

Is Flash working on your Vaio ? Mine shows a black screen with delayed sound.

Nope, not working on Chrome, I think it's the same problem as yours, stuttering audio with black screen, page is practically unusable.

Same for me. I'm using Safari 5 instead. I've run Onyx on my installation and I do not see much speed difference between 10.6 & 10.6.8. I guess that Lion on Vaio P would be a bad idea since it is more demanding.

Same for me. I'm using Safari 5 instead. I've run Onyx on my installation and I do not see much speed difference between 10.6 & 10.6.8. I guess that Lion on Vaio P would be a bad idea since it is more demanding.

Does Safari play Youtube correctly? And I'll check Onyx out. Any important things to do in Onyx to speed things up?

I'm gonna develop on XCode so.. yeah I'll need all the power I've got. Heh.

BTW it seems like only 1 thread out of 2 is activated. :(

Neither Chrome or Safaris playing properly. I guess it is a problem related to Flash 11.3. For Onyx, check all the boxes in Maintenance tab. If you want to optimize further, disable the dashboard and remove any unecessary localization files.

I'm doing some research about the hyperthreading thing and Flash on GMA500 (Dell Mini 10V forums + japanese websites). I would also love to have Video Out working on the Vaio P since the screen is very small.

BTW I have made a Clonezilla backup of my Hackintosh drive so it takes just a few minutes to restore my drive so I can test some things without fearing KP :)

Not yet, for some reason GMA500BacklightDisplay.kext does not work on SL 10.6.7-10.6.8 (maybe PCIFix.kext ?). I will try to look into it.. Have you tried to install IOGMA500Framebuffer.kext ? It gives me a KP.

Not yet, for some reason GMA500BacklightDisplay.kext does not work on SL 10.6.7-10.6.8 (maybe PCIFix.kext ?). I will try to look into it.. Have you tried to install IOGMA500Framebuffer.kext ? It gives me a KP.

Yeah the kext doesn't seem to load. I think IOGMA500Framebuffer.kext doesn't work too, I was using the 2010 files and I get KP after upgrading to 10.6.8. That's why I'm using the 2009 files (the IOGMA500Framebuffer.kext seems to be the only major difference)