Leopard on Pre-Series 7 NVIDIA nForce MCP + Intel CPU MOBOs - REBORN

verdant

468 posts in this topic

AFIK with OS X you cannot use MOBO software RAID (i.e. fake-hardware RAID via BIOS RAID)........although hardware RAID using a RAID PCI-E card should hopefully work as there are driver kexts for Silicon Image Sil3124 and Sil3132 chipset eSATA RAID PCI/PCI-E cards.....see post #1 for the BIOS settings template for 650i chipset too........

Ok well I disabled my RAID config and pulled a 40gb SATA drive in and have the BIOS setup like in the template, however I STILL get the Waiting for root device error

Ok well I disabled my RAID config and pulled a 40gb SATA drive in and have the BIOS setup like in the template, however I STILL get the Waiting for root device error

It also depends on whether or not the Extensions.mkext file being used during boot up by your install DVD contains the AppleNForceATA.kext or not........e.g. see here.......because usually a IDE DVDRW with SATA DVDRW (EDIT: Oops! SATA HDD) causes no problems for the 650i chipset.......

It also depends on whether or not the Extensions.mkext file being used during boot up by your install DVD contains the AppleNForceATA.kext or not........e.g. see here.......because usually a IDE DVDRW with SATA DVDRW causes no problems for the 650i chipset.......

IDE DVDRW and SATA DVDRW? Is there a special boot 132 I can download for this board. I've tried that BUMBLY(sp?) one but with no luck

IDE DVDRW and SATA DVDRW? Is there a special boot 132 I can download for this board. I've tried that BUMBLY(sp?) one but with no luck

Sorry I meant IDE DVDRW with SATA HDD......LOL

Try my nForce_Boot132_ISO to boot your OSX 10.5.6 Retail DVD....... :)

Use it with

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v boot-uuid=10.5.6 Retail DVD uuid

without any guarantee that it will work with only -v (as it does for me) rather than -v -x or -v -f for you to enable you to get into the Retail OS X 10.5.6 DVD installer......

Sorry I meant IDE DVDRW with SATA HDD......LOL

Try my nForce_Boot132_ISO to boot your OSX 10.5.6 Retail DVD....... ;)

Use it with

without any guarantee that it will work with only -v (as it does for me) rather than -v -x or -v -f for you to enable you to get into the Retail OS X 10.5.6 DVD installer......

Im not sure what you mean by

Use it with

Sorry if that sounds stupid.

Anyway, I used the -v -x commands and have successfully been able to access the installer. It detected my harddrives and I left them in RAID0 but of course OSX was unable to see them as 1 harddrive.

I've been able to get partway through the install however I am now met with:

Install Failed.

The installer could not validate the contents of the 'AdditionalSpeechVoices' package.

I know the disk isnt faulty as I've managed to install OSX in VMWare using the same copy

Im not sure what you mean by

Use it with

Sorry if that sounds stupid.

Anyway, I used the -v -x commands and have successfully been able to access the installer. It detected my harddrives and I left them in RAID0 but of course OSX was unable to see them as 1 harddrive.

I've been able to get partway through the install however I am now met with:

I know the disk isnt faulty as I've managed to install OSX in VMWare using the same copy

Use it with

means follow the standard Boot132 process:

1. Insert the nForce_Boot132 CD in your DVDRW and boot from it. It should display lines of text followed by an extending series of "............" showing the state of progress. At some stage you may also see a "com.apple.Boot.plist not found" error message...... just ignore it.

2. Press F8 and then press the ESC key. You will be presented with the Boot Device selection menu.

3. Insert the Retail OS X 10.5.6 Install DVD in place of the nForce_Boot132 CD and wait until the DVDRW activity light goes off.........then press ENTER and the Retail Disk should now show up as the booting device.....

4. When the Darwin bootloader prompt appears, type :

At this point the Retail OS X 10.5.6 Install DVD should begin to run in the DVDRW; loading and then starting the installation process.

If you get any errors, then you probably did not enter the10.5.6 Retail DVD UUID code correctly.

Choose only the base system in the Installer DVD Customize menu.....once you have booted into OS X 10.5.6 on your HDD, use Disk Utility to repair permissions.....and only then run the Retail OS X DVD in your DVDRW to run the Optional Installs.mpkg to install Additional fonts, Additional Speech voices, Language Translations, Printers, X11, etc. ......

Use it with

means follow the standard Boot132 process:

1. Insert the nForce_Boot132 CD in your DVDRW and boot from it. It should display lines of text followed by an extending series of "............" showing the state of progress. At some stage you may also see a "com.apple.Boot.plist not found" error message...... just ignore it.

2. Press F8 and then press the ESC key. You will be presented with the Boot Device selection menu.

3. Insert the Retail OS X 10.5.6 Install DVD in place of the nForce_Boot132 CD and wait until the DVDRW activity light goes off.........then press ENTER and the Retail Disk should now show up as the booting device.....

4. When the Darwin bootloader prompt appears, type :

At this point the Retail OS X 10.5.6 Install DVD should begin to run in the DVDRW; loading and then starting the installation process.

If you get any errors, then you probably did not enter the10.5.6 Retail DVD UUID code correctly.

Choose only the base system in the Installer DVD Customize menu.....once you have booted into OS X 10.5.6 on your HDD, use Disk Utility to repair permissions.....and only then run the Retail OS X DVD in your DVDRW to run the Optional Installs.mpkg to install Additional fonts, Additional Speech voices, Language Translations, Printers, X11, etc. ......

Ok so I've done everything correctly as far as I can tell, when I use the

I got "Waiting for Root Device" again.

Can I just check, how do you get the UUID code?

Ok so I've done everything correctly as far as I can tell, when I use the

I got "Waiting for Root Device" again.

Can I just check, how do you get the UUID code?

If you have access to a Mac or another Hackintosh, then use Disk Utility to get the UUID for the intended OS X 10.5.6 install DVD by going to Info tab in top menu bar after highlighting the DVD name in the side bar, and making a careful note of the Universal Unique Identifier number. It will be in this format (but obviously different!): CF2E12F1-2459-3DAF-B3D5-CA05B4B65A52

But if not, then use rd=diskXsY instead of boot-uuid=10.5.6 Retail DVD uuid, where the value for X in rd=diskXs2 or rd=diskXs3 is dependent on the number of storage/media read/write devices connected to the MOBO. X starts from 0 and Y starts from 1. For example, the first volume on the first internal HDD will have the Disk Identifier of disk0s1, while the second volume will be disk0s2 and so on. So for your DVDRW, X may be 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 depending on the number of devices you have connected......Y is usually 2 or 3....

Be aware that the 650i chipset does not run kernel panic free with the vanilla kernel on the Retail OS X 10.5.6 Install DVD......recommend that you use Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel with matching System.kext and seatbelt.kext versions.....and that you initially install to a non-RAID single HDD......

If you have access to a Mac or another Hackintosh, then use Disk Utility to get the UUID for the intended OS X 10.5.6 install DVD by going to Info tab in top menu bar after highlighting the DVD name in the side bar, and making a careful note of the Universal Unique Identifier number. It will be in this format (but obviously different!): CF2E12F1-2459-3DAF-B3D5-CA05B4B65A52

But if not, then use rd=diskXsY instead of boot-uuid=10.5.6 Retail DVD uuid, where the value for X in rd=diskXs2 or rd=diskXs3 is dependent on the number of storage/media read/write devices connected to the MOBO. X starts from 0 and Y starts from 1. For example, the first volume on the first internal HDD will have the Disk Identifier of disk0s1, while the second volume will be disk0s2 and so on. So for your DVDRW, X may be 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 depending on the number of devices you have connected......Y is usually 2 or 3....

Be aware that the 650i chipset does not run kernel panic free with the vanilla kernel on the Retail OS X 10.5.6 Install DVD......recommend that you use Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel with matching System.kext and seatbelt.kext versions.....and that you initially install to a non-RAID single HDD......

So. Do i type

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v boot-uuid=10.5.6 Retail DVD CF2E12F1-2459-3DAF-B3D5-CA05B4B65A52

obviously using my uuid

or do I type

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v boot-uuid=CF2E12F1-2459-3DAF-B3D5-CA05B4B65A52 uuid

Sorry if this seems daft. I have gotten a different install error now but this time it can't install the 'essentials' package. I think thats just because I deselected everything apart from the core

@ Evostance

You type

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v boot-uuid=CF2E12F1-2459-3DAF-B3D5-CA05B4B65A52

obviously using your own UUID.....

Yeh thats what I though.

I just get the install error of the "Essentials" Package.

Any ideas?

Try in order, the following:

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v cpus=1 boot-uuid=CF2E12F1-2459-3DAF-B3D5-CA05B4B65A52

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v -x cpus=1 boot-uuid=CF2E12F1-2459-3DAF-B3D5-CA05B4B65A52

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v -f cpus=1 boot-uuid=CF2E12F1-2459-3DAF-B3D5-CA05B4B65A52

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v -f -x cpus=1 boot-uuid=CF2E12F1-2459-3DAF-B3D5-CA05B4B65A52

Also, try pulling 1 RAM module and try installing with just 1 GB installed and/or de-rate RAM speed in BIOS if you can to 667MHz......then try with above again.......

Tried the first two so far and i'm not getting the failed installation on

"AdditionalSpeechVoices" again in the OSX installation screen..

Everything but the core is unchecked

So, have you been able to install OS X successfully then......?

No. Sorry, didnt realise I had made a typo

I get to the install screen fine as I said. I just get errors when installing OSX about failing to install various packages. Then I have to restart the install. I've yet been able to install it

Try installing to external USB HDD or 8GB flash drive and then cloning back onto HDD volume.....

Verdant,

Thanks for your great guides and historical knowledge. We have come a long way since Mystius C* for sure...

Need a little help with some post-install problems with the "newer" installers and bootloaders:

Most pressing: still forced to use CPUS=1 on P5N-E SLI

Annoying: other post-install issues (below)

System spec:

1) Mobo- Asus P5N-E SLI (it says its golden on osx86 wiki HCL with iATKOS v7.

2) nForce Chipset 650i

3) Intel CPU Core2 E6600 2.4 GHz no overclocking

4) Bios... dunno never flashed it... ever.

5) CD/DVD Drives:

(1) SATA DVD-RW

(1) IDE DVD-R

6/7) Hard drives and partitions:

(1) 300 GB SATA (NTFS, winXP SP3) one volume

(1) 250 GB SATA (FAT-32, shared) one volume (both XP and OSX can read it)

(1) 80 GB IDE (GUID, Journaled- OSX boot drive) one volume

(1) 80 GB IDE (GUID, for time machine, if I can ever get it to work) one volume

8) OS:

(1) Win XP SP3

(1) OSX 10.5.7 voodoo 9.5.0 at present

9) Graphics: ASUS nVidia 8800 GTX not SLI 768 RAM

10) PCI: a random Ethernet card I found (Intel Chipset) just something that would work in OSX.

11) on board- standard P5N-{censored}.

It's dual booting through a "DOS selection" at machine startup.

- I did this under my old Hackintosh, and forgot how, still have some notes...

- Really, it's the most elegant dual booting solution I have seen. copy chain0 from OSX to root of c:\ then somewhere in the boot within XP you can set c:\chain0 = "Mac OSX" and you get a really nice selector at the start... built in with chameleon i guess, but meh...

most things work (sound, LAN).

CPUS=1 flag still has to be used at boot.

Goals

1) an "updatable system" one where I can take those apple updates without fear of losing everything

- hoping the chameleon RC2 will help a long way here.

2) working time machine

- but need to take an update, and get "networking" working

3) I can get to the internet (like now), but cant get on my home network to print from OSX

- seems to be some issue with airport... says there is no default device or some such error.

- my daughter has an iMAC and there is an iBook in the house, but cant see the network in OSX.

Install method and selections:

- I have had 9 different working installs so far, but none with everything.

- iATKOS -v -f cpus=1

- i have (1) dedicated disk just for OSX

Current:

iATKOS v7 basic

- Chameleon v1

- DSDT

- dsmos

- SMBIOS Enablers

- Kernel: none (went back and added 9.5.0 after panic on reboot)

- Disablers

- OHR

Drivers:

- VGA- EFI String- DVI/DVI and NV Enabler

- System- nForce SATA/IDE

- Sound- Voodoo HDA

- Network- Wired- nForce (can never get the on-board lan to ever work, secondary PCI works if added)

- an extra language or two

- Post-Install

Current plan to change for install #10:

- switch back to chameleon v2

- add /extra directory

- no smbios

- voodoo 9.7.0 kernel

- add back acpi to try and fix the cpus=1 problem.

Really looking for help getting to my 3 stated goals. I have been reading insanelyMAC, Hackint0sh, upHuck's forum, and been through a lot of stuff. I think maybe I am just getting things confused from reading so much. I had a Hackintosh working and stable for a long time (10.4.?) but under 10.5.7. there is the new CPUS=1 issue that i didn't have before.

I read up on the DSDT issue, but from what I could tell, this mobo didn't need that fix to rid itself of the cpus=1 problem in 10.5.7.

...I had hoped to get to snow leopard, but would be happy with Leo fully working and able to take patches...

any help/ guidance/ advice appreciated.

Sincerely,

the cat

Verdant,

Thanks for your great guides and historical knowledge. We have come a long way since Mystius C* for sure...

Need a little help with some post-install problems with the "newer" installers and bootloaders:

Most pressing: still forced to use CPUS=1 on P5N-E SLI

Annoying: other post-install issues (below)

System spec:

1) Mobo- Asus P5N-E SLI (it says its golden on osx86 wiki HCL with iATKOS v7.

2) nForce Chipset 650i

3) Intel CPU Core2 E6600 2.4 GHz no overclocking

4) Bios... dunno never flashed it... ever.

5) CD/DVD Drives:

(1) SATA DVD-RW

(1) IDE DVD-R

6/7) Hard drives and partitions:

(1) 300 GB SATA (NTFS, winXP SP3) one volume

(1) 250 GB SATA (FAT-32, shared) one volume (both XP and OSX can read it)

(1) 80 GB IDE (GUID, Journaled- OSX boot drive) one volume

(1) 80 GB IDE (GUID, for time machine, if I can ever get it to work) one volume

8) OS:

(1) Win XP SP3

(1) OSX 10.5.7 voodoo 9.5.0 at present

9) Graphics: ASUS nVidia 8800 GTX not SLI 768 RAM

10) PCI: a random Ethernet card I found (Intel Chipset) just something that would work in OSX.

11) on board- standard P5N-{censored}.

It's dual booting through a "DOS selection" at machine startup.

- I did this under my old Hackintosh, and forgot how, still have some notes...

- Really, it's the most elegant dual booting solution I have seen. copy chain0 from OSX to root of c:\ then somewhere in the boot within XP you can set c:\chain0 = "Mac OSX" and you get a really nice selector at the start... built in with chameleon i guess, but meh...

most things work (sound, LAN).

CPUS=1 flag still has to be used at boot.

Goals

1) an "updatable system" one where I can take those apple updates without fear of losing everything

- hoping the chameleon RC2 will help a long way here.

2) working time machine

- but need to take an update, and get "networking" working

3) I can get to the internet (like now), but cant get on my home network to print from OSX

- seems to be some issue with airport... says there is no default device or some such error.

- my daughter has an iMAC and there is an iBook in the house, but cant see the network in OSX.

Install method and selections:

- I have had 9 different working installs so far, but none with everything.

- iATKOS -v -f cpus=1

- i have (1) dedicated disk just for OSX

Current:

iATKOS v7 basic

- Chameleon v1

- DSDT

- dsmos

- SMBIOS Enablers

- Kernel: none (went back and added 9.5.0 after panic on reboot)

- Disablers

- OHR

Drivers:

- VGA- EFI String- DVI/DVI and NV Enabler

- System- nForce SATA/IDE

- Sound- Voodoo HDA

- Network- Wired- nForce (can never get the on-board lan to ever work, secondary PCI works if added)

- an extra language or two

- Post-Install

Current plan to change for install #10:

- switch back to chameleon v2

- add /extra directory

- no smbios

- voodoo 9.7.0 kernel

- add back acpi to try and fix the cpus=1 problem.

Really looking for help getting to my 3 stated goals. I have been reading insanelyMAC, Hackint0sh, upHuck's forum, and been through a lot of stuff. I think maybe I am just getting things confused from reading so much. I had a Hackintosh working and stable for a long time (10.4.?) but under 10.5.7. there is the new CPUS=1 issue that i didn't have before.

I read up on the DSDT issue, but from what I could tell, this mobo didn't need that fix to rid itself of the cpus=1 problem in 10.5.7.

...I had hoped to get to snow leopard, but would be happy with Leo fully working and able to take patches...

any help/ guidance/ advice appreciated.

Sincerely,

the cat

Glad you like the guides.......... :)

I will respond to your post here as soon as I have some free time......OK?

Thanks, Verdant

I got two of my three goals down

1) it's updatable (sort of)

2) time machine is working (sort of)

3) very little progress on the printing (but can at least see the mac the printer is attached to).

Turns out that using the ACPI-x86ACPI was the right call. That seems to have fixed the updating issue and time machine works (kind of), but oddly the "pretty" screen savers no longer work- none of those with pictures. Read around and this seems to be a problem with 10.5.7.

- So i got it loaded, it took the first system update fine, updated all softwares, etc.

- Once it was stable and everything working, I ran time machine and got a good backup.

- I pressed on with trying to bring the machine up to current (installing iLife, office, other softwares, etc.)

- I took a break, rebooted using the iatkos cd to make an iso image of the "installed disk" in full working order.

- Along the way I got a security release (I didnt see which one) and when it rebooted LAN was dead. Tried reloading the kexts through iAtkos but nothing worked.

- No worries I thought, time machine will bring it back... nope. When it restored, it killed the boot string (chain0) so I could not boot to OSX after the restore.

- no worries I thought, because i knew time machine might not work, I had the .iso. Restored it. same problem.

- So I wiped the disk and reinstalled (which I am now on)

- There are some things that still don't work that are problematic:

1) network/ printing

2) updates that kill things...

3) screen savers and other misc broken stuff.

My basic #1 question at this point is:

- If my machine is stable, what is the best/ most efficient way to "save it" in case something crashes it so I can get it back.

- Really don't mind the few hours it takes (now) to get iTunes fully working again, load office, iLife, etc. But if time machine wont help, and the .iso isnt going to work... i think Ill just forever freeze my version and never update (once I get things working).

My #2 question is: you have obviously had your machine awhile... do you just not run updates?

- there is so much out there now (old info, new info) on the boards it's hard to figure out what is current info and what isn't. How do you "run" your hack so you aren't in constant fear of losing everything?

(screen saver error: Screen saver "cosmos" did not load properly, please select another screen saver. Error: can't load bundle)

If you have time, thanks for at least trying to help.

The Cat

Thanks, Verdant

I got two of my three goals down

1) it's updatable (sort of)

2) time machine is working (sort of)

3) very little progress on the printing (but can at least see the mac the printer is attached to).

Turns out that using the ACPI-x86ACPI was the right call. That seems to have fixed the updating issue and time machine works (kind of), but oddly the "pretty" screen savers no longer work- none of those with pictures. Read around and this seems to be a problem with 10.5.7.

- So i got it loaded, it took the first system update fine, updated all softwares, etc.

- Once it was stable and everything working, I ran time machine and got a good backup.

- I pressed on with trying to bring the machine up to current (installing iLife, office, other softwares, etc.)

- I took a break, rebooted using the iatkos cd to make an iso image of the "installed disk" in full working order.

- Along the way I got a security release (I didnt see which one) and when it rebooted LAN was dead. Tried reloading the kexts through iAtkos but nothing worked.

- No worries I thought, time machine will bring it back... nope. When it restored, it killed the boot string (chain0) so I could not boot to OSX after the restore.

- no worries I thought, because i knew time machine might not work, I had the .iso. Restored it. same problem.

- So I wiped the disk and reinstalled (which I am now on)

- There are some things that still don't work that are problematic:

1) network/ printing

2) updates that kill things...

3) screen savers and other misc broken stuff.

My basic #1 question at this point is:

- If my machine is stable, what is the best/ most efficient way to "save it" in case something crashes it so I can get it back.

- Really don't mind the few hours it takes (now) to get iTunes fully working again, load office, iLife, etc. But if time machine wont help, and the .iso isnt going to work... i think Ill just forever freeze my version and never update (once I get things working).

My #2 question is: you have obviously had your machine awhile... do you just not run updates?

- there is so much out there now (old info, new info) on the boards it's hard to figure out what is current info and what isn't. How do you "run" your hack so you aren't in constant fear of losing everything?

(screen saver error: Screen saver "cosmos" did not load properly, please select another screen saver. Error: can't load bundle)

If you have time, thanks for at least trying to help.

The Cat

#1 AFAIK if my memory is correct, restoring from Time Machine requires the HDD to be blank but when you erase the HDD you are restoring to, the bootloader on the original OS X volume is erased too BUT restoring from Time Machine does not restore the bootloader.......

If you have the HHD space, the best way is to set up two bootable OS X volumes; a main volume and a backup volume, each with a bootloader installed (for safety). Use Disk Utility (favoured by Mysticus C*) or Carbon Copy Cloner (which I use without any issues) to clone your backup system onto the main volume, if the OS X system on the main volume is "bricked" beyond recovery.........BUT cloning does not restore the bootloader (i.e. Darwin or PC_EFI or Chameleon) but this should not matter when you are on the same HDD since you have already have a bootloader installed on the backup volume.......and you can reinstall it on the main volume.......

#2 If you have enough free HDD space, then you could follow what I do myself:

1st volume at the start of HDD is a small 10GB volume (choose a name without spaces e.g. Leopard_Boot or OS_X_Boot etc) to use as a OS X boot volume with ONLY a basic fully working OS X install from your chosen OS X Install DVD, either Retail or Distro, which enables you to use its Disk Utility functions on the other OS X volumes, together with:

Kext Helper b7

OSx86Tool

Chameleon 2.0 RC 2 or 3

Chameleon 2.0 RC 3 or 4

PC_EFI v10.1 to 10.5 as appropriate

and any other Utiliy software you find very useful for OS X system installation/maintenance/repair etc., to enable you to modify/test OS X updates on the Main and Backup OS X volumes without ever risking not being able to boot into OS X on the HDD.......

The 2nd and 3rd volumes are equal size volumes, which are for use as the OS X Main and Backup (or Test) systems, respectively.......suggest you use a size of at least 40GB for each.....I always keep the backup volume at the same version as the main volume, or one version behind if I am not yet 100% sure that the next version is running 100% and is fully stable for all I want it to do......also I keep the OS X Boot volume at the DVD Install version unless I am 100% confident that any system or other updates will not cause me any problems....

The 4th volume is a OS X Data Archive volume with all your archived OS X and OS x86 software, documents files, image files, music files, or whatever you wish to archive and keep safe......

I have tried 10.5.1, 10.5.2, 10.5.4, 10.5.5, 10.5.6, 10.5.7 , 10.5.8, 10.6.0, 10.6.1 and 10.6.2......I found 10.5.6 (Voodoo 9.5.0) to be the best Leopard version for my needs (fast, stable with full sleep functions; no sleep with 10.5.7 and 10.5.8) and for any apps requiring a later version, I use Snow Leopard 10.6.2 (vanilla kernel) which is faster than Leopard, although I have yet to sort out the sleep functions for it using DSDT modding.....but have yet to find the time to explore how to do so......

For Ethernet, use nForceLAN .kext by eno.....

What is the problem with printing if OS X has installed the correct driver.......is it a USB, or an Ethernet printer connection.....?

BEFORE and AFTER doing any updates (e.g. system, security updates etc.), repair permissions using Disk Utility but also on Extensions folder in /System/Library/Extensions:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo chmod -R go=u-w /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

Note if you have problems with a specific kext and its permissions, it could be because it contains a binary executable.......in which case:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/Problem.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Problem.kext
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

I hope the above makes sense......if not, I will try to clarify based on your responses...... ;)

A lot of what you said was (honestly) alien to me still. I will have to read more before I can fully understand it. But in the last 2 days I actually found the real instructions to go with iATKOS 7 and made very much progress towards an upgradeable and stable system (and learned a lot in the process).

I dont really think the wikis and guides help a lot for people unless their systems are really plug and play or very compatible. i dont mind a challenge in learning and stuff, but really wish that there was more order to the information. Google is a terrible search engine because it invariably lists the oldest stuff.

by the way, the printer thing was totally an idiotic mistake. it's slaved to my daughters iMac, and she unplugged the USB cable. 20+ years in IT and I even sometimes forget my basic troubleshooting.

The screen saver not working was due to the x86ACPI driver selected and wrong VGA selections. Selection of APIC, and NVEnabler got me full quartz extreme support, and all files and screens work as they should now.

So I got my first three goals accomplished... sort of.

1) updatable system

2) time machine works

3) prints away

I need to work on the "insurance policy" for number one, since time machine clearly isn't it with a modded kernel.

So I'll take your post and see what I can do to make sure I don't blow this (finally stable) install to bits.

Asus P5N-E SLI

(1) Asus nVidia GeForce 8800GTX

iATKOS 7

chameleon2

/extra

dsdt

9.5.0 voodoo kernel

APIC

Disabler kexts

OHR

NVEnabler

nForce SATA

Voodoo HDA

*extra languages*

not selecting a network driver makes me nervous. I am using a PCI network card that is straight up ancient that i have never seen a kext for. Every time I restart I am nervous it's not going to work (happens a lot). So I am really trying feverishly to learn how to store stuff in that "extras" folder (wherever it is) to save it from the update monster. I am okay if video gets blown to bits, because that's pretty straightforward to fix up but the NIC going, I only know restart from scratch and lose all my programs!

At any rate, thanks for your help.

The cat

A lot of what you said was (honestly) alien to me still. I will have to read more before I can fully understand it. But in the last 2 days I actually found the real instructions to go with iATKOS 7 and made very much progress towards an upgradeable and stable system (and learned a lot in the process).

I dont really think the wikis and guides help a lot for people unless their systems are really plug and play or very compatible. i dont mind a challenge in learning and stuff, but really wish that there was more order to the information. Google is a terrible search engine because it invariably lists the oldest stuff.

by the way, the printer thing was totally an idiotic mistake. it's slaved to my daughters iMac, and she unplugged the USB cable. 20+ years in IT and I even sometimes forget my basic troubleshooting.

The screen saver not working was due to the x86ACPI driver selected and wrong VGA selections. Selection of APIC, and NVEnabler got me full quartz extreme support, and all files and screens work as they should now.

So I got my first three goals accomplished... sort of.

1) updatable system

2) time machine works

3) prints away

I need to work on the "insurance policy" for number one, since time machine clearly isn't it with a modded kernel.

So I'll take your post and see what I can do to make sure I don't blow this (finally stable) install to bits.

Asus P5N-E SLI

(1) Asus nVidia GeForce 8800GTX

iATKOS 7

chameleon2

/extra

dsdt

9.5.0 voodoo kernel

APIC

Disabler kexts

OHR

NVEnabler

nForce SATA

Voodoo HDA

*extra languages*

not selecting a network driver makes me nervous. I am using a PCI network card that is straight up ancient that i have never seen a kext for. Every time I restart I am nervous it's not going to work (happens a lot). So I am really trying feverishly to learn how to store stuff in that "extras" folder (wherever it is) to save it from the update monster. I am okay if video gets blown to bits, because that's pretty straightforward to fix up but the NIC going, I only know restart from scratch and lose all my programs!

At any rate, thanks for your help.

The cat

Use eno's nForceLAN.kext for networking using your onboard LAN chipset......put it in /Extra......if you install 10.6.0 you will be able to run the vanilla kernel and so use Apple Software Update to 10.6.2.......

With OSx86 you have to be prepared for doing reinstalls.......that is why having 2 OS X volumes on 1 HDD (in my case 3...... :) ) is a good time saver...... :)

@Verdant: I was sent to this forum by BreakingBad, he tried to help but didn't have the same motherboard as I. I have a XFX 680i nForce and a 9800GTX+ and I'm actually just trying to get 10.5 installed but so far I got it installed and Chameleon is installed, but just can't get past the gray apple logo screen where the spinning circle comes up and is supposed to boot into the OS. I know the partition is fine. Do you think I'm missing a kext that will allow it to boot up?

I can get the drive to boot up on our Dell mini and added the kexts I thought I needed but on my desktop it stops at the gray logo screen and th. Spinning circle doesn't appear.

1. Check your 680i BIOS settings against my 680i template in post #1 in this thread and change them as necessary.....

2. Boot desktop HDD OS X volume with -v debug=0x100 and post a screen shot of the error messages/kernel panics you are getting........

You know what, I have no idea how I did this, but I have a 750i, not a 680i. I don't know where I got 680i from. I put this thing together before Christmas and guess I forgot. I'm really just stuck on why it just sits at the apple logo with no hard drive activity. I can still connect the drive to a dell mini and install kexts (I've installed nforceATA, nforceLAN, many others for my 9800 too).

I went through your bios setup from your Snow Leopard guide and everything checks out to what you have, or at least what was available for me to change.

What I do have working:

Chameleon RC3 is installed

Detects my OS X partition

...That's it...

I'll put my rig in my sig and hopefully you can help out. We can move if this isn't the right place again.

If you want to install SL post here but if you want to first install Leopard (recommended as very helpful for DSDT modding needed for installing SL) then post here but please delete your posts in this Pre-Series 7 nForce thread......... :yoji:

hello guys as to my previus post about my pc freezing on start up. i get a stop entry sign at the apple loading screen i have typed -v debug=0x100 and all get is "checksum Cookie not valid" and also "still waiting for root device" any ideas or is there some thing vital that i have missed out