Fully working Atheros 5005 (and other models on the same series) UPDATED FOR 10.5.7

rwmanos

14 posts in this topic

This is a tutorial on how to get a fully functional atheros wireless card.

Please report other atheros models instead of 5005 that work with this guide

UPDATE : NEW KEXT FOR 10.5.7

Requirements: (everything attached)

1)OsX86 tools

2)modded IO80211Family.kext

3)modded NetworkInterfaces.plist + preferences.plist

Installation:

1)Run OsX86 tools and press view PCI Device/Vendor ID and when it is asked restart your computer.Run osx86 tools and press again view PCI Device/vendor Id . Look for your atheros card Id's for example 192c:001a and write them down

2)right click IO80211Family.kext and press show contents ,then navigate here contents/plugins/AirPortAtheros5424.kext/contents and open info.plist . Douple click it and look for the strings that look like this

<string>pci106b,0086</string>

<string>pci106b,1c</string>

<string>pci168c,001a</string>

<string>pci168c,1014</string>

customize the first with your own values and delete all the others and then save the plist.

3)Install with osx86 tools or kexthelper the IO80211Family.kext

4)The last step is to set your wireless card to en1. This is optional because your card may be en0 but most of the cards are en1 .

If you are en1 navigate on /library/preferences/SystemConfiguration and replace NetworkInterfaces.plist + preferences.plist with these I provided.

5)Restart and you are goin to have a fully working wireless ;)

I hope this has helped you. Sorry for my bad english I'm from greece :$

10.5.7_IO80211Family.kext_.zip

IO80211Family.zip

OSX86Tools.app

NetworkInterfaces___Preferences.zip

• 4 weeks later...

Works up until i need to connect to a network - under Network in System Pref shows Airport (never did before your fix!) but it says No Airport Card :( according to the Tools i have an Atheros AR5001 with 186c:001a did i do something wrong in the plist part? i had 186c,001a no : does it make a difference? be great if this can be done last thing i need, otherwise defeats the purpose of my laptop lol. Thanks in advance :)

(btw it's a Card that slots in not inbuilt, my inbuilt Intel 3945ABG doesn't work either lol)

(also won't let me turn on Airport, when ever i click Turn on Airport, does nothing)

Works up until i need to connect to a network - under Network in System Pref shows Airport (never did before your fix!) but it says No Airport Card :) according to the Tools i have an Atheros AR5001 with 186c:001a did i do something wrong in the plist part? i had 186c,001a no : does it make a difference? be great if this can be done last thing i need, otherwise defeats the purpose of my laptop lol. Thanks in advance :)

(btw it's a Card that slots in not inbuilt, my inbuilt Intel 3945ABG doesn't work either lol)

(also won't let me turn on Airport, when ever i click Turn on Airport, does nothing)

ok The thing is that it does recognize you card but not the port .. See step 4 and change the plist to en1 or en0 or even en2 that's the only problem

ok The thing is that it does recognize you card but not the port .. See step 4 and change the plist to en1 or en0 or even en2 that's the only problem

i've tried en0 and that won't even show Airport wireless in System Pref, and i've been trying on en1 which shows the Airport wireless, i'll give en2 a go later on. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

i try your method with ar5007eg on network preferences it takexs me airport but is always shutdown and i cant activate. if i go to wave in topo right of wireless it says me no airport detected.

please help i try en0,1,2

• 2 weeks later...
i try your method with ar5007eg on network preferences it takexs me airport but is always shutdown and i cant activate. if i go to wave in topo right of wireless it says me no airport detected.

please help i try en0,1,2

hey man your problem is with the step 2 . are you sure that you've done it corectly ?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Y'all - I'm having similar problems with my atheros wi-fi card in my Asus Eee 900 Linux 4 GB SSD. OSx86 10.5.7 is installed and working great but I've tried every combination of kexts, kismacs, OSx86Tools, and en0, 1, and 2, but I get no love from the airport.  

With the 10.5.6 kext file, the operating system would correctly locate my wifi card, but it would never detect any networks.  With the new one you posted it doesn't even locate the card.  

I'd be happy to post the contents of my various files and logs - I'm not afraid of the command line or of mucking up the system but I would appreciate any help or suggestions from folks who have been successful getting this to work.  

Much appreciated!  - NG

Used this tutorial yesterday with iatkos 10.5.7 and atheros2413 (5005) and followed everything exactly. and everything checked out as it should. but my card didnt show up in airport. might be because my install wont reboot properly. going to try again with another distro install today

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
This is a tutorial on how to get a fully functional atheros wireless card.

Please report other atheros models instead of 5005 that work with this guide

UPDATE : NEW KEXT FOR 10.5.7

Requirements: (everything attached)

1)OsX86 tools

2)modded IO80211Family.kext

3)modded NetworkInterfaces.plist + preferences.plist

Installation:

1)Run OsX86 tools and press view PCI Device/Vendor ID and when it is asked restart your computer.Run osx86 tools and press again view PCI Device/vendor Id . Look for your atheros card Id's for example 192c:001a and write them down

2)right click IO80211Family.kext and press show contents ,then navigate here contents/plugins/AirPortAtheros5424.kext/contents and open info.plist . Douple click it and look for the strings that look like this

<string>pci106b,0086</string>

<string>pci106b,1c</string>

<string>pci168c,001a</string>

<string>pci168c,1014</string>

customize the first with your own values and delete all the others and then save the plist.

3)Install with osx86 tools or kexthelper the IO80211Family.kext

4)The last step is to set your wireless card to en1. This is optional because your card may be en0 but most of the cards are en1 .

If you are en1 navigate on /library/preferences/SystemConfiguration and replace NetworkInterfaces.plist + preferences.plist with these I provided.

5)Restart and you are goin to have a fully working wireless :unsure:

I hope this has helped you. Sorry for my bad english I'm from greece :$

10.5.7_IO80211Family.kext_.zip

IO80211Family.zip

OSX86Tools.app

NetworkInterfaces___Preferences.zip

I need BIG help with the Atheros AR9285 PCI Wireless n Adpater PLEASE!!!!

There is no possible way in making this card working on leopard (or Snow Leopard)!If anyone has a solution or something please tell me!!!