HP Laptop 8510w Driver Installer Package for OS X 10.5.6

Hex Hex

93 posts in this topic

sinnsyk and golem216,

For laptop power management (so the battery indicator works) you can use VoodooBattery (www.superhai.com). I'm also most of the way writing a new battery driver as Superhai's has problems with multiple batteries and I needed hooks so that my Backlight Utility can change brightness automatically on battery/AC power etc., a beta version is up on my site now and it's called HexLaptopPower.kext. (http://www.mediafire.com/hexhex)

Please note >>>> you don't need to install a hacked PowerManagementBundle with VoodooBattery.kext or my new HexLaptopPower.kext. Both work with the Apple vanilla SystemConfiguration bundle i.e. retail.

For battery status indicators I seriously recommend installing Slim Battery Monitor, it's way better than the native Apple indicator. Get it from http://slimbatterymonitor.en.softonic.com/mac

BTW Golem216, to solve your problem with the old version of HexBacklight simply go to System Preferences and right click Hex Backlight and Uninstall it. Then exit Sys Prefs and go bak in and if you see another Hex Backlight there right click and uninstall that too. Then reinstall the latest version.

Hex

sinnsyk and golem216,

For laptop power management (so the battery indicator works) you can use VoodooBattery (www.superhai.com). I'm also most of the way writing a new battery driver as Superhai's has problems with multiple batteries and I needed hooks so that my Backlight Utility can change brightness automatically on battery/AC power etc., a beta version is up on my site now and it's called HexLaptopPower.kext. (http://www.mediafire.com/hexhex)

Please note >>>> you don't need to install a hacked PowerManagementBundle with VoodooBattery.kext or my new HexLaptopPower.kext. Both work with the Apple vanilla SystemConfiguration bundle i.e. retail.

For battery status indicators I seriously recommend installing Slim Battery Monitor, it's way better than the native Apple indicator. Get it from http://slimbatterymonitor.en.softonic.com/mac

BTW Golem216, to solve your problem with the old version of HexBacklight simply go to System Preferences and right click Hex Backlight and Uninstall it. Then exit Sys Prefs and go bak in and if you see another Hex Backlight there right click and uninstall that too. Then reinstall the latest version.

Hex

I'll give that a try with Hex BackLight. Having control of changing the brightness isn't that big of a deal to me, but it's nice to have.

Now that the battery indicator is available, I can get an idea of how much battery life I'm getting. It seems to only be about 2 hours, but I'll probably just use the laptop on AC power most of the time anyway.

I just bought the EFI-X boot selector and am going to try it out on my desktop. It's on sale for $190 right now. I will need to get a new motherboard and extra hard drive before I can try it out though. I saw a demo of it on Tekzilla and it looks like it works without any issues. It's not a good solution if you want OSX on a non-Apple laptop though unless there is some adapter that is available.

EFI-X

I wouldn't recommend using EFI-X as current support for Snow Leopard and future support is questionable. Using Chameleon on a bootable USB drive is a more future-proof solution, which is what I have begun using instead for my desktop hackintosh.

Great package Hex hex, thanks for it. I was wondering if you could write a short tutorial on how to hack the bios so I could install other wifi adapters inside this laptop. I would like to have wifi without having to plug in a external usb wifi adapter. I was thinking I could install the dell dw 1500 but because of the whitelist I can't. Do you have any idea how I can get past the whitelist?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I installed windows just before I left for my holiday, bacuase I needed the WiFi after all. So now I have windows again..

Do you think it would be worth it to wait for Snow Leopard and then install that? I still have my time machine backup from 10.5.6, so all my files should be save....

Ed

I have to say, HP has really optimized this laptop for Windows only. I have cleaned up my DSDT, renamed and commented all my devices so that I could understand whats going on. And what I have found so far is that this laptop has a device with PnP ID PNP0C14, which is Microsoft Windows Management Interface for ACPI. As you all can imagine, this device is really functioning under M$ only (There are some implementation under Linux as well, but non under OSX). Its mostly used by HP ProtectTools software to change BIOS settings in Windows but I found a lot of references to this device methods from other devices as well. So I do suspect that a lot of problems are caused because of that device. Not to mention that the ASL code is really {censored} in most places. A lot of unnecessary code like:

Device (X)
{
 Run method FUNC()
}
Method (FUNC, 0, NotSerialized)
{
 Return (0)
}

And you will see alot things like this. {censored} I say. Most likely its the code HP ACPI programming tool is generating and it sux.

So what I'm trying to do now is clean up the code, remove all Windows specific things and implement them in a standard way. Removing the PNP0C14 device itself cleaned up over 6000 rows of code. But as the HP nameing policy for variables and methods and devices is really cumbersom, its gonna take time. If anyone has good hints to share (Like Embedded Controller spec for this laptop), PM me.

I possibly found the problem of not switching of the notebook (I have 10.5.8 leo). If I delete any nvidia injector - my notebook have normal shut down. After adding nvidia injector kext (I tryed nviject, nvijectgo, nvkush) notebook stops switching off.

Anybody have any ideas?

Maybe it's possible to start video card without injector - with help of efi strings, dsdt or something else? I tried, but had no success.

Just a grateful thank-you from this lurker, to Hex hex and other thread contributors!! I really appreciate the the time you guys have put into sharing your know-how! I'm really thrilled I've got my 8510w running Mac OSX now!

I possibly found the problem of not switching of the notebook (I have 10.5.8 leo). If I delete any nvidia injector - my notebook have normal shut down. After adding nvidia injector kext (I tryed nviject, nvijectgo, nvkush) notebook stops switching off.

Anybody have any ideas?

Maybe it's possible to start video card without injector - with help of efi strings, dsdt or something else? I tried, but had no success.

I'm using EFI strings, quartz not yet working but will come back to this subject when I have rewritten my DSDT.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have iATKOS v7 installed right now as a test setup (doesn't fully work, only VGA and bootproblem solved, but that's oke) and I tried to generate a DSDT for snow leopard with the GUI based DSDT patcher made by Fassl.

It did not work! Even with the force compile function (-f) it didn't generate a ASDT.aml.

Was this also a problem with you guys or has this something to do with my HP? I tried putting the BIOS in standard settings but that did not work.

Even with HexHex's DSDT.aml I am not able to boot in snow leopard... I will post some pics of it later

• 2 weeks later...
I'm using EFI strings, quartz not yet working but will come back to this subject when I have rewritten my DSDT.

Installing latest Chameleon boot loader fixed Video. Vanilla kexts work without problems.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Anyone info about DSDT not compiling?

The original HP DSDT has quite many bugs, especially with C376 Method. You need to fix the syntax first. It's a little bit more complicated to newbie in DSDT, but basically you have to rearrange ({ and }) near the C376 method call.

• 1 month later...

Hi ppl long time no see

Haven't been using my 8510w for a while but yesterday i needed it because of a hdd crash on my main box.

So while reinstalling my 8510w I came on some nice kexts (mainly newer versions) to get it working.

There are some nice things like all kexts are 64 bit (running 64 bit modes smooth now) and mic detection.

All kexts can be loaded from /Extra/Extensions/

I only have a few things that dont work

Shutdown

Sleep

cd rom drive (I deleted IOATAFamily.kext still want to find a fix that can be loaded from /E/E)

Wireless

I have Attached my Extra folder im using chameleon 2 RC 4.

I'm running 10.6.2.

Instructions:

unzip extra

unzip depencies

copy the kexts inside depencies to extra/extensions

set kext permissions (kext utility)

Regards RuUb

Depecies.zip

Extra.zip

• 1 month later...
Hi ppl long time no see

Haven't been using my 8510w for a while but yesterday i needed it because of a hdd crash on my main box.

So while reinstalling my 8510w I came on some nice kexts (mainly newer versions) to get it working.

There are some nice things like all kexts are 64 bit (running 64 bit modes smooth now) and mic detection.

All kexts can be loaded from /Extra/Extensions/

I only have a few things that dont work

Shutdown

Sleep

cd rom drive (I deleted IOATAFamily.kext still want to find a fix that can be loaded from /E/E)

Wireless

I have Attached my Extra folder im using chameleon 2 RC 4.

I'm running 10.6.2.

Instructions:

unzip extra

unzip depencies

copy the kexts inside depencies to extra/extensions

set kext permissions (kext utility)

Regards RuUb

Hi RuUb

How did you fix the cardbus issue with slow boot on 10.6.2 ?

many thanks

Hi all

I'm still running 10.5.7 because I use my laptop as a primary machine for project work, and I can not afford to be out of business for longer than a few days. So I did not try installing Snowy on my machine yet.

How did it go with you guys, is it safe to install now?

I should:

- compile my DSDT for snow leopard

- use the newest EFI shizzle etc

- use a vanilla Snow Leopard DVD as image

- use your drivers (RuUb)

I should be safe to try right? I am thinking of backing up my system with SuperDuper to an external drive, if I mess up. How easy is it to replace everything if it goes wrong and going back to the good old working 10.5.7?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys

Wondering if anyone has some advice on the DSDT table of this machine... I can't seem to compile...

Did you upgrade your BIOS or did anything particular?

I have an external WD Scorpio Black with an USB interface that I want to use to install Snow and then swap my old drive with this new loaded baby.. So I don't have to mess with my 10.5.6 install...

So, please, share some info with:

- what did you do to get your DSDT.aml

- how did you install Snow?

- does it all run stable and good?

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!

Oke, I will start a post later on on the method I used which worked flawless :)

So I'm running full 64 bit mode with 10.6.3, and apart from some minor issues, it is very very very very very fast!

So, I was wondering, did you guys solve:

- only 1 USB 2.0 port, rest is listed as USB 1.0

- sleep

- fan not spinning on battery (can become really hot in seconds without a fan)

apart from that there are still some weird error messages while starting up but it is speedy so I am not really in the mood of {censored} things up right now....

PS: not that I have installed an other wifi card that can be ordered from HP -> the Broadcom a/b/g card... Full Airport support RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!

Wow!

Oke, I will start a post later on on the method I used which worked flawless :D

So I'm running full 64 bit mode with 10.6.3, and apart from some minor issues, it is very very very very very fast!

So, I was wondering, did you guys solve:

- only 1 USB 2.0 port, rest is listed as USB 1.0

- sleep

- fan not spinning on battery (can become really hot in seconds without a fan)

apart from that there are still some weird error messages while starting up but it is speedy so I am not really in the mood of {censored} things up right now....

PS: not that I have installed an other wifi card that can be ordered from HP -> the Broadcom a/b/g card... Full Airport support RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!

THANKS SINNSYK, THIS SOUNDS JUST LIKE I WHAT I NEED TO KNOW

ps I can always install snow easy with whichever method i try, its the rihco cardbus that seems to make my laptop take 5-10 mins to boot, in 10.5 it was the same but as soon as i applied the cardbus kext the laptop became fast again, but i struggle applying this same kext i used in 10.5 to 10.6 to fix this speed issue

cheers

A few weeks back I tried out Leopard 10.5.8 on my HP 8510w again. The main thing that I was trying to do was get a dual-boot of Leopard and Vista 64-bit. It was quite the process to get it up and running using Boot-132, diskpart, EasyBCD, Chameleon RC4, retail Leopard 10.5.6 disk and Vista Business 64-bit disc. I think there is a way to use Chameleon as the bootloader for both OSes, but I have it setup using the Windows bootloader using EasyBCD. I still have the known issues with shutdown, sleep, onboard wifi, and the fans not working or spinning very slowly. When I first tried it out, the laptop would get very warm and would actually shutdown when it got too hot, but now it stays within the operating temps for the CPU and hard drive. Also, originally the battery icon did not appear in OSX showing that there was a battery, but after trying again it shows up perfectly. Not sure what I did wrong before.

Sinnsky, what is the model number for the wifi card that you bought from HP that you put in your laptop? I've been using a Linksys USB adapter to get wifi, but it is not the ideal solution and would rather have the builtin one working.

Hi

So, now I have some time to post :)

I will describe what I did to get to 10.6.3 on my HP 8510w. I hope that someone can benefit from this and perhaps together we can come up with a method to get a perfect running OS X :D This method is not complete and most of it is not even pioneered by me, you will have to thank all the people in this thread like HexHex and Oun and RuUb for doing great work on this laptop :) Thanks!

BIOS

So, first I think it's a good idea to go to the HP site and get the LATEST bios (F15 as we speak) and get the USB stick type, or install it under windows if you still are captured with that slow OS :P I used an USB stick that was prepared under windows XP (different PC) and booted from that USB stick to update my bios.

WiFi

Second, I was sick and tired of using a USB wifi Dongle and went looking for a solution. Some guy on a forum posted that HP is very picky about PCIe WiFi cards, they have to approve it and it is somehow hardcoded in the bios, not very user friendly.... I did not feel like hacking into my bios like HexHex so I searched on marktplaats (second hand shop, eBay will do fine as well) for:

Broadcom 4311AG Wireless LAN 802.11a/b/g mini PCI adapter card (Bevo)

This card is used in many many many HP laptops and it will work, and most important, Snow OSX recognizes it as an Airport card! There are no drivers needed and it is just like you have an Apple card in your laptop :D What more do you want? (unfortenately, it is not wireless N... but it is better than no internal wifi)

Best of all, I only payed 10 euros for this thing ($7), including shipment. It is available at HP supply for 34 $.. or something like that.

For instructions on how to acces your Wifi card: http://www.insidemylaptop.com/disassemble-...0w-notebook-pc/

So, there are 3 antennas with numbers 1 2 3. The new card only has 2 numbers, so only connect the 2 matching antennas. I think that the third one is for N-Wifi, which makes sense ofcourse.

Now, while we are opening this baby up, clean up your fan! It really makes a difference in noise and heat, they become very dusty, even if you can't see it.

Also, I unplugged my finger-scanner. I won't be needing it because it will never work on OS X, so if it is disconnected it can't {censored} with our drivers...

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/images/HP-Co...ructions-25.jpg

just unhook the tiny cable and that finger thingy will never bother OS X again :)

BIOS preparation:

So, after upgrading our BIOS and replacing the WiFi card (this step is offcourse optional, but it is worth the money!), we want to make all our changes to the BIOS. Since I don't use the smartcard reader and the PCMCA card reader I disabled them in the BIOS. Also some other tweaks, but just do what you think is best. This world is about experimenting!

DSDT

After this hardware level tweaking it is time to do some DSDT tweaking. I was already running 10.5.6 using HexHex's installer this was possible under OS X for me, but you could also use windows. I used the DSDTSE editor because I really liked the syntax coding etc. What you have to do is extract your DSDT, remove the first line with the yadayada about an error, and then try to compile. It will give a lot of errors (45 in my case), but most of them are easy. You need to fix the syntax errors first, locate them in the error list and jump to that line.

One example that was the most complicated, I compared HexHex's DSDT with mine:

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/3148/picture4jxo.png

As you can see there is just some code missing, so try to fix this. Now the syntax coding and colors come in handy!

After only fixing 2 syntax errors my DSDT would compile, I did not do anything else (yet) to it. If you are able to compile I think you are good to go, you can always modify more once snow leopard is running... right :P

Put your DSDT.aml somewhere on your desktop, don't forget that it has to be uppercase! (I made this mistake, Chameleon didn't recognize it :P )

Also, DSDTSE has a lot of build in troubleshooting for errors. When there is an error they provide example code and how to fix it. Really nice program!

Getting kexts

Mister RuUb has posted his driver package a couple of posts back, and they all worked for me! So, download them and save them on your desktop with the DSDT file.... The WiFi works out of the box so you won't need drivers for that.. These kexts worked for me so hopefully you guys will have as much luck as me.

I don't think you need to use his DSDT as well, but you can use it as comparison to fix your own. I don't know if it is bad but it is always better to use your own DSDT I guess, it is much more fool-proof..

Installing OS X

Now this is something that can be done the easy way (my method) with some additional hardware, or with any other way. I am not going to explain other methods, I think there is so much information about the installing itself that I don't need to repeat it here.

1: I bought a new HDD, a WD Scorpio Black 320GB. I wanted my laptop to be FAST, so I picked the fastest 2.5 inch that I could find at that moment. (it really is faster than the Seagate Momentus that was in my laptop)

2: I bought a 2.5 inch HDD USB case, which is usefull for many many reasons:

- you have just bought a USB-SATA interface that you can use to acces your HDD to fix things

- you can put your old drive in it and have a small external HDD that you can have as backup (10.5.6 is still installed on this disk)

- I can always fix things on my main drive, I just need to swap the HDD in my laptop with the one that still has 10.5.6 on it and acces the new HDD with the USB-SATA interface...

3: I downloaded 10.6 A432, and installed it using this guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/2009/08/how-to-...-pc-hackintosh/

What you will do is:

- Format the hard drive you want to install OS X on. This is something you can do on any Mac, if you have the external USB-SATA thingy. There are other ways offcourse, but this is very easy

- chown the external drive, see the guide

- install OS X without rebooting, this is FAST! It took only 12 minutes to install OS X Snow on my external disk

- install chameleon 2 RC4 on the external disk

- put your DSDT.aml file and the kexts from RuUb at the Extra/ folder.

I assume there is enough information on how to modify kext permissions etc, so I will not go in detail here

Now, remove IOATAFamily.kext from the Extensions folder. This little baby gave me Kernel panics, and in 10.6 the DVD did not work anymore. Strangely, in 10.6.3 it worked again, sooo... don't know what's happening

Now what?

At this moment (if you followed me) you will have a hard drive with a fresh OS X on it, your modified DSDT, and some kexts. You can choose to put a apple.com.boot.plist in the Extra folder as well.

Now, put your hard drive back into your laptop and cross your fingers and power it on. Don't forget to turn on debug mode and offcourse -v, because otherwise you won't see what's happening. Also, give x64 a try, you want this baby to run 64 bit mode right!?

After you are booted it is a good idea to just install 10.6.3 right away, so that you are up to date. For me it worked without a problem, it started without a hickup in 64 bit mode.

Conclusions

I can't tell you guys enough how easy it is to have a spare HDD and an external interface, because it makes changing things way easier. You can keep your current install just in case things go wrong, and just swap them if you want to run 10.5 (or windows) again. It will cost you like $20 but it is worth it.

Also, if you have some spare money, spent it on a good big hard drive! I bought the quickest I could find, and now OS X is starting in like 15 seconds (64 bit). Everything I do feels faster already... Installing software is like, FAST!

Now, there are some things not working yet.

- When on battery mode the fan stops spinning

- There are still some errors while booting, did not have time to look at them. That is the next step in this adventure

- USB is painfully slow. There seems to be only USB 1.0. This is something I want to dive into after I finish this post

- Closing the lid is not a good idea. Your laptop will go BOOM and freeze. I am thinking about removing the magnet like HexHex did.

- Sleep won't work

- Shutting down won't shut down. You will need to hold the power button for a few second to really power it off...

But, there are some things very nice about this

- It is all Vanilla! The only change in the Apple OS is deleting that single .kext file.

- Updates will work! Updating to 10.6.3 worked without a problem

- You will have a spare HDD with 10.5 on it or any OS to troubleshoot in case you {censored} up.

- with the Broadcom wifi your airport will work out of the box at ABG speeds...

- Battery indicator works

- Sound works, soundplug as well. Even the volume bar will actually raise and lower sound, and if you plug your earbuds in it will switch

- touchpad works with multi finger scroll etc.

So, well, there is still a lot to fix, but this might help people installing snow on their laptops. If there are any questions or any suggestions, let's fill this thread even more with information!

PS: I have a different model 8510w. I have a T9300 processor, a 200 GB HDD, 4GB ram, GeForce FX570, 1680 x 1050 screen

PS2: I included my extra folder just in case you are interested in my DSDT.aml file :P

Extra.zip

Hey guys, first of all thank you all (especially hexhex) for your great work on OSX on the 8510w.

@sinnsyk: To solve the USB issue you just have to delete AppleHPET.kext. Don't know what exactly it does, but after I deleted it I got full USB speed.

The thing that I'd like to work is sleep. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that he'd managed to make it work, does anyone have more info on that? Hibernate would be OK as well, how can I use it? I've read that OSX automatically creates a hibernate file when going to sleep, does anyone know how I can use that after "sleep"?

Thank you.

Hi

Just as Hex did, I removed the little magnet at the left-under side of the screen. It was really easy, just unscrew 1 screw and then gently open the front side... after a bit of opening up you see the magnet and gently remove it.

Now you can close the lid, perhaps that will help with the sleep issue as well! You don't need to worry about the magnetic sensor messing with your sleep tryouts, and otherwise it is just handy to be able to close the laptop if you are on the move..

PS: does someone know how to fix the Fan not spinning when on battery mode? I can use my laptop for a while but it will die because of overheating and it is not usefull... I travel by train for like 4 hours a week and want to be able to continue to work there...

Yes that'd be a good idea to do, I'll try that. But this doesn't really help in solving the sleep issue, it just prevents the laptop from crashing when I forget that I shouldn't close the lid =)

Unfortunately I don't have a solution for the fan not working when on battery problem. Wouldn't that be something for the DSDT hackers ;)? I think you could control the fans through ACPI (like reading battery status). As we're able to read the CPU temps it'd be possible to control the fan speed depending on the CPU's temperature. What do the experts think?

Does anyone have info about how to boot into the hibernate file? I found out that OSX creates a sleep image, so it should be possible to start that in Chameleon. But how?

What I forgot to ask before, does the mic work on your laptops (built-in, plugged in)?

@Hex Hex: Maybe you could edit the title (e.g. "(Snow) Leopard on HP 8510w Mobile Workstation") so that everyone can find the thread easily and help us get an even better running Snow Leopard :)

Hi

finally some people posting again in this topic :P

I just deleted AppleHPET and got terrible Kernel errors and I could not even start in safe mode or any mode at all..

So, put back my old disk, put AppleHPET back in place, and it was all running again...

So, tried again, but now deleted AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement as well and AppleHPET again.. Just to try things out :P

Rebooted, fingers crossed, and voila! USB 2 support!

I did though notice that my PC got a lot hotter after that, but that could be because I made a time machine backup and copied like 60 GB to my disk from my old 10.5.7 install (I just had USB2, so it finally could be done in less than a day :P)

I do have my microphone working, but the sound prefpane is not working very well yet.. But hey, it works!