How to install Chameleon manually (v 2 and v 1)

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

rednous

rednous

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Interests:graphic design, mac, progressive and house

Do you know what may cause this?
I'm getting bash: ./fdisk: No such file or directory

the correct command is this:
bash-3.2# fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

oldnapalm

oldnapalm

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Moderators
  • 6,857 posts

Do you know what may cause this?
I'm getting bash: ./fdisk: No such file or directory

The package you are using doesn't contain fdisk (no fdisk in current directory), or maybe it's called fdisk440 like in Chameleon RC5. You can get it from Chameleon binaries and put it inside the i386 folder you are using.

I followed this after having no luck using Chameleon installers. Everything went smoothly and as the tutorial stated - but now my SL 10.6.4 hangs at the Apple screen with the loading circle. Any ideas? Will I have to reinstall the OS?

It happened after you installed Chameleon? How did you boot into Snow Leopard before?
Use verbose mode to see the system messages, you are probably missing some kext.

ToBeMac

ToBeMac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks for the handy tutorial!
Did all the steps successfully, at boot, i get the "Boot0: Done" msg. and nothing happens.
It's an MBR HDD. by the way, maybe that's why am getting the error above.

Any hint?

Thanks in advance.
ToBeMac

Edit:
I re-did the steps after making sure am dealing with the right partitions using "diskutil list" and the "p" command withing the fdisk menu
and all went fine!

Thanks again for the great tutorial!

Peter_sm

Peter_sm

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
Thanks so much for this guide :P

Works perfect, but for safety I did this on my USB disk, and then copy over necessary files to the USB, reboot and it works.

//Peter

ziruc

ziruc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Great!! Thanks!

DasFox

DasFox

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Please check this

In step 6 running

./fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0
should not mess with Windows 7 boot.

These commands don't work this kills my Win7 from booting, it always says BOOTMGR missing.

SARs-Mac-mini:~ SAR$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *160.0 GB disk0
1: Windows_NTFS System Reserved 104.9 MB disk0s1
2: Windows_NTFS 86.9 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_HFS OSX 32.2 GB disk0s3
4: OpenBSD 40.8 GB disk0s4

Here are the cmds I'm running;

cd /usr/standalone/i386/

sudo ./fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s3

sudo cp boot /

sudo /usr/standalone/i386/fdisk -e /dev/disk0
f 3
write
y
exit

I've been messing with this for a few days and still can't get it, can someone tell me how to do this so it doesn't mess up Win7?

THANKS

dervisionar

dervisionar

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Guys, I am having a bear of a time getting this to work and I have a simple laptop. Here's what I did so far...

bash-3.2# diskutil list/dev/disk0   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *750.2 GB   disk0   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1   2:                  Apple_HFS Snow Leopard            104.5 GB   disk0s2   3:       Microsoft Basic Data                         645.3 GB   disk0s3bash-3.2# cd /Users/dervisionar/Desktop/hackint0sh/usr/standalone/i386 bash-3.2# fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0bash-3.2# dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s22+0 records in2+0 records out1024 bytes transferred in 0.007618 secs (134415 bytes/sec)bash-3.2# cp boot /bash-3.2# fdisk -e /dev/disk0Enter 'help' for informationfdisk: 1> pDisk: /dev/disk0	geometry: 91201/255/63 [1465149168 sectors]Offset: 0	Signature: 0xAA55         Starting       Ending #: id  cyl  hd sec -  cyl  hd sec [     start -       size]------------------------------------------------------------------------ 1: EE 1023 254  63 - 1023 254  63 [         1 -     409639] <Unknown ID>*2: AF 1023 254  63 - 1023 254  63 [    409640 -  204124832] HFS+         3: 0C 1023 254  63 - 1023 254  63 [ 204796620 - 1260347445] Win95 FAT32L 4: 00    0   0   0 -    0   0   0 [         0 -          0] unused      fdisk: 1> f 2Partition 2 marked active.fdisk:*1> writeDevice could not be accessed exclusively.A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n] yWriting MBR at offset 0.fdisk: 1> exitbash-3.2#

To answer some questions:
1) I'm doing this with Chimera 1.4.1 (same thing as Chameleon, I'd think...)
2) I'm not doing a multi OS setup. The FAT32 partition is just what I'm going to format into an HFS + partition later once I get this figured out.
3) My bios is set to AHCI mode for the SATA HD Controller.
4) I AM doing this from the Mac OSX install I'm trying to boot.
5) This is on a laptop - Acer Inspire 7740G - Core i5 - ATI5650m - 4GB DDR3 on 2 sticks - 750GB Seagate 7200rpm

Here's some questions I have:
1) What am I doing wrong?
2) Would it be easier to do this operation from another Mac?
3) Could I do this from a Mac OSX Virtual Machine? - Answered: No... not recommended to do FDISK commands to a physical drive from VMWare.

Any feedback or advice would be helpful. And thanks in advance... I've been at this for some time.

EDIT: Here's what I did wrong - I had to write the change to the main OS disk from another install of OSX.

TLDR Fix: If you can't get Chimera/Chameleon to install, write the changes from another install of OSX that's not your primary drive.

Here's what I had to work with: 1 laptop. 1 500GB HD. 1 750GB HD. 1 SATA to USB external enclosure.

I did my OSX Install on my 750GB disk per normal. After the 10.6.8 update, I pulled the drive out and loaded in a freshly formatted original 500GB drive.

I then proceeded to install OSX on the 500 GB drive. Once it was done, I booted back to the 500GB with #####, loaded the 750GB drive into the SATA to USB adapter, mounted the external and proceeded to do the steps above on that drive, which was posted as Disk2 in my setup.

After I loaded boot0 and boot1h onto the 750GB external, I swapped drives again. I was then able to load Chimera without the ##### CD.

suanczan

suanczan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
I booting from iAtkos Lion boot dvd and getting this:
fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0
fdisk: could not open MBR file boot0: No such file or directory

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,121 posts
It doesn't matter, just keep going. I haven't seen a post explaining what it means or why it appears but apparently it's safe to ignore. I've been ignoring it for years.

XUTOS-83

XUTOS-83

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Hi, I followed this tutorial, everything went well but in the end i have no file "smbios.plist" to place in the "Extra" folder.

I created the folder and copy the "smbios.plist" that came in the file "Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin", the computer starts, boot to Chameleon, i choose the disk but a few seconds later he restarts.

Anyone know how to solve?

Thank you,

Vasco

zoltankr

zoltankr

zoliky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
Nice guide. Do we need that fisk command? What is the purpose of that "fdisk -f boot0 -u -y?":

fdisk -f boot0 -u-y /dev/rdisk0

I only used these two and chameleon work:
dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2
cp boot /

Thank you!

Larry J

Larry J

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I was confused before see this tutrial. Thank you for helpful tutrial.

pippox0

pippox0

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
Interesting ... i was looking for .. to resolve Boot0 error

Leumas1311

Leumas1311

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Getting my first computer build to work.
Hi, im getting a strange error on step 9. When I type in the code you said to type, using my drive of corse, I get : resource busy. What am I doing wrong? Could some one help me?

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,121 posts

If you use boot0md instead of boot0 then you don't have to make your OS X partition active.

Empty Memory

Empty Memory

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Great & Thx a Lot c0rk007hck :thumbsup_anim:

followed literally and worked 110%.

My new cfg: ASUS HB87-Plus + Core i54570 + 4+4Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 + Asus GT9600 silent 512 + SSD Intel 180 GB (win7) + (old) Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 0.5TB (OsX 10.8.5 Niresh).

Now SSD is disconnected, I'll fix later, but I choose for my multi boot to format the 'ancient' HDD in MBR:

disk0s1= 1GB "BOOT" for current and further bootloaders. Im going to try Easy BCD here, too.

disk0s2= 233 GB "OsX" (10.8.5 ...)

disk0s3= 265 GB for temporarily store Time Machine an other setup stuff

I chose that to allow me restoring (from TM) the OSX partition, without any boot fix to be further applied, while I'm messing around my final cfg.

For n00bs: never use same HDD for OS and Time Machine, a disk failure will be dramatic. :shock:  :no:  :sick: 

I'm currently playing without any personal docs. Later on, once reached a satifying cfg, I'll move my docs on OsX disk and move Time Mac on a different HDD.

Bye & THX

:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy