Atheros 5007EG works with iDeneb1.4 - mini howto.

pkmvancouver

18 posts in this topic

So I bought a Aspire One 150 ZG5 the other day and have been trying many things to get the built in atheros card to work. It's 3am on a wednesday morning and I think I found a solution...

This is what I did...from getting tips/hints and info from other threads

a) installed iDeneb 1.4

a1) did software update and updated everything.

;) installed a modified IO80211Family.kext ( it's one that mackerintel modified, don't know the post right now)

c) installed the voodoo kernel package from the iDeneb 1.4 cd.

d) shutdown, now here is the trick for success (from another post)

d1) hold the wifi switch to the right when you power up, let go when you see the bios splash screen.

d2) when you see the darwin boot manager hit space, push the wifi switch to the right, you'll see a / on the

command prompt appear. delete it and hit enter.

e) when you get to your desktop see if you airport icon is on aka bars, if not turn it on.

f) start kismac 319, use the airport extreme card passive driver, got to advanced and make sure the en? entry is right

for you card. mine is en1

g) start scanning, Networks appear, YAY!, stop the scan and quit kismac

h) right click on your airport icon and join the prefered network.

Now, this has work through 4 shutdown to powerups. I'm still testing it but it seems to work...

m189908236.png

m189907249.png

I'm not offer support, this is what works with my setup. I have no ideas if it will work with other distros or variances in other kext's and versions.

What do you mean by "hold the wireless to the right??"

I have a button where i press it and it activates or deactivates it??

Could you please explain your tutorial even further, and add some links to where you got this info from the topics that you are relating in your tutorial.

Thanks

- Bass2k9

install ideneb 1.4, following this guide http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtop...=14&t=11796

do software updates done through ethernet connection, all current updates.

DO NOT install the AirportExtreme2008-004 update. NO

install the kext from mackerintel's post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&p=960526

install the voodoo kernel package from the ideneb cd.

install kismac 319

diskutil repairPermissions /

reboot

the wlan activation button on the front right hand side of the aspire one. Hold it to the right when you power on until you see the bios splash screen. When you see the darwin bootloader, press any key, hit the switch to the right again a / should appear at the prompt, delete it then hit enter to boot.

You should see the airport icon with bars on the menu bar, if not turn on airport.

start kismac, make sure in prefs the driver is Airport Extreme card, passive mode. In the advanced section make sure your interface number is right ie. en1

start scanning, you should see networks come up. if you do stop scanning, quit kismac and right click on the airport icon, you will see networks..

I don't know how much easier to put this into words, I just repeated my first post. The search function is a good thing. I've spent a better part of a week going over all the atheros 5007eg posts. This is the way that works for my machine. I powered it up with the routine I explained this morning, I've been connected for 6 hours constant, no drops or kernel panics.

And make sure you TURN OFF airport before shutting down.

What do you mean by "hold the wireless to the right??"

I have a button where i press it and it activates or deactivates it??

Could you please explain your tutorial even further, and add some links to where you got this info from the topics that you are relating in your tutorial.

Thanks

- Bass2k9

d1) hold the wifi switch to the right when you power up, let go when you see the bios splash screen.

d2) when you see the darwin boot manager hit space, push the wifi switch to the right, you'll see a / on the

install ideneb 1.4, following this guide http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtop...=14&t=11796

do software updates done through ethernet connection, all current updates.

DO NOT install the AirportExtreme2008-004 update. NO

install the kext from mackerintel's post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&p=960526

install the voodoo kernel package from the ideneb cd.

install kismac 319

diskutil repairPermissions /

reboot

the wlan activation button on the front right hand side of the aspire one. Hold it to the right when you power on until you see the bios splash screen. When you see the darwin bootloader, press any key, hit the switch to the right again a / should appear at the prompt, delete it then hit enter to boot.

You should see the airport icon with bars on the menu bar, if not turn on airport.

start kismac, make sure in prefs the driver is Airport Extreme card, passive mode. In the advanced section make sure your interface number is right ie. en1

start scanning, you should see networks come up. if you do stop scanning, quit kismac and right click on the airport icon, you will see networks..

I don't know how much easier to put this into words, I just repeated my first post. The search function is a good thing. I've spent a better part of a week going over all the atheros 5007eg posts. This is the way that works for my machine. I powered it up with the routine I explained this morning, I've been connected for 6 hours constant, no drops or kernel panics.

And make sure you TURN OFF airport before shutting down.

Ok, thanks mate. I will attempt to install it tomo, will let you know the results :D

Day #3 and I still have wifi, do my little button routine on startup and it works everytime. I haven't tried a reset and not going to...Always a coldboot.

Sorry, but i have not tried this out yet... i have encountered another serious problem.

I cannot use my usb ports...

at first, they worked but then i tried to fix it so that i can use hi-speed usb and now both dont work.

i need normal usb for my mouse and keyboard, and hi-speed usb for my external hard drive and my 7 port usb hub.

i have an Acer Aspire 5310 laptop, with intel 945gm chipset.

please can someone help me? - once i get this solved, i will try your fix pkmvancouver

Well it is still working for me, I've only had 'one' kernel panic and that was on shutdown. But wasn't atheros related. I guess I'm just lucky.

Well my Aspire One (not a regular laptop, hardware is different. Thats why this might not work with full size acer laptops, maybe??) is a 01/2009 production unit, AOA150-1514 ZG5.

SYSTEM/BIOS 47/3309

Came with 1gig ram and 160gig harddrive. Made in China.

The wifi has been solid since the install.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello works fine for me,

aoa110ZG5

UBUNTU one lxe lite

I don't need the wifi switch trick.

IPC 10.5.6 DVD

on ext usb HDD memup

vodoo kernel driver fixes same as ideneb ipc the tuto says

then updated 2 things about air port (utility n other thing)

put wifi kext

finalized with all the other kext (sound,video...)

wifi works with KisMAC

all working as far as i know

Geekbench:922

Confirmed!!! :rolleyes:

It works in my Acer Aspire One. But, it is not necessary to move to the right the button of activation of the atheros. The procedure is the following one:

1.- Install the Ideneb 1.4

2.- Install all updates, except the Leopard 10.5.7

3.- Download & Install the kext mencioned with OSX86tools.

4.- Download & Install Kismac r319

5.- From other OS. u have that be sure that the wireless card is on (switch is on).

6.- After reboot, activate Airport from icon.

7.- Run Kismac & put in preferences-->Driver "Apple Airport Extreme Card. Passive mode"

8.- In advanced u must put en(x) (en1 in Acer One, en1 is the default, in this case not change)

9.- Start scan with Kismac, put u pass.

10.- When Kismac show the nets, "close Kismac"

11.- Select the net in the Airport icon, now it show here.

Enjoy.

Tips: - If Kismac not show nets, u must sure that the wireless card is on!!!!

- If u not can activate Airport, renew DHCP (from net options-->advanced-->TCP-IP)

- It is not necessary to deactivate Airport before shut down. When you initiate leopard again, you must repeat the procedure from point 6 to the 11.

- The stability is OK, NO Crashes, NO Kernel panic & the performance is as in XP or Vista. Many hours working OK :P

-The Atheros light not work & never do it, because it work by soft (by especific driver 4 windows)

• 1 month later...
Sorry, but i have not tried this out yet... i have encountered another serious problem.

I cannot use my usb ports...

at first, they worked but then i tried to fix it so that i can use hi-speed usb and now both dont work.

i need normal usb for my mouse and keyboard, and hi-speed usb for my external hard drive and my 7 port usb hub.

i have an Acer Aspire 5310 laptop, with intel 945gm chipset.

please can someone help me? - once i get this solved, i will try your fix pkmvancouver

same lap... Video: Intel GMA950... trying 10.5.6 ideneb

UPDATE1: Installed 10.5.6 with no kernel (Vanilla default) - ACPI Error on boot

UPDATE2: Installed 10.5.6 with Voodoo - ACPI error on boot

UPDATE3: Installed 10.5.6 with SpeedStep - ok, just blue empty screen after load (maybe driver issue)

UPDATE4: works fine with SpeeStep. Installed every driver. Atheros Still don't work

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok I got it working on my Aspire One (Sometimes...). Its a bit tricky but it works.

It will be nice to know if anybody got a solution for the random appearance of networks in Kismac.

Sometimes I have to boot like 8 times to get them, despite I tried every trick out there, wifi switch, extension.mkext deletion, several "*.kext" claiming to be the definitive solution... Any comments will be apreciated.