Studio XPS 13

digital8

222 posts in this topic

@bbc9 i think u ask this questions in the wrong thread xD ...we are all naps ...maybe there is a real grafic support thread at this page?

@bbc9 can u please check which openGL version ur little friend is using?

@Japandler Did u use the IDT HOW TO i posted?

@bbc9 i think u ask this questions in the wrong thread xD ...we are all naps ...maybe there is a real grafic support thread at this page?

@bbc9 can u please check which openGL version ur little friend is using?

@Japandler Did u use the IDT HOW TO i posted?

I did in part. I updated my iPC and re-installed, and then immediately used your IDT post and it worked, until i restarted. IDK why, but I'm looking into what happened... I'll post the differences if I come up with anything.

sounds like ur OSX has used a older kexts together with ur hack...maybe.. =/

Japandler how is ur graphic going?

blegh, no progress whatsoever. I thought i had it in EFIstudio. There's an option to "customize your nvidia" card, but it's not sticking in my kexts. I've tried applying your EFI strings on top of that, which actually caused me to have to reinstall the original kext (not fun) but I can't seem to find ANYTHING on the program front. This is going to have to be something where we actually have to manually write out a kext for this. IDK about you, but I'm NOT excited over that concept. I was looking into the 9800 kext and tried switching some of the data around so that it cooperates with the 9400. No success so far, but I haven't had time to play with it too much.

As for audio, nothing to report.

Wireless: I'm thinking if just saying "screw it" and buying a pci card. Why not? They'll get the latencies and their not toooooo expensive... :: apprehensive look::

mhhht this are not really good news... xD

..I think for the graphic card we have 2 oppotunities ...1. wait untill the new iMac and MacMini is released OOOR ...try try try , play around , try try

have u tried to get the pinConfig under vista? i cant find the registry folder =(

Guys,

you do realize that the aluminum macbook is 9400m as well so it's not a new thing that apple has 9400m support. It is good to see the 9400m become more mainstream however, in the name of getting the bugs ironed better.

In any case, apple has been shipping 9400m drivers since last Oct. at least, and the one we've been playing with should already support the 9400m properly. The pci device ids for the 9400m are in there remember.

There is an off chance that a newer kext would fix things somehow for the dells. Perhaps someone with a macbook can upload the newer 10.5.6 NVDAResman, GEForceGA, NVDANV50 kexts.

Guys,

you do realize that the aluminum macbook is 9400m as well so it's not a new thing that apple has 9400m support. It is good to see the 9400m become more mainstream however, in the name of getting the bugs ironed better.

In any case, apple has been shipping 9400m drivers since last Oct. at least, and the one we've been playing with should already support the 9400m properly. The pci device ids for the 9400m are in there remember.

There is an off chance that a newer kext would fix things somehow for the dells. Perhaps someone with a macbook can upload the newer 10.5.6 NVDAResman, GEForceGA, NVDANV50 kexts.

ofcause i noticed ...a mate already have one...aaaaand thats the reason why i can upload ur files

Driver.rar

ofcause i noticed ...a mate already have one...aaaaand thats the reason why i can upload ur files
When you wrote about waiting until the imac/macmini is released it made me think otherwise. Thanks for those drivers, they are from that macbook pro, not a macbook, right?

Also I forgot to mention one that is missing from that .rar - GeForce.kext

is anyone else having problems installing those kexts?? :( They installed just fine, but there's not difference in my kextstat.

...Still can't operate quartz extreme.

Yeah same here, tried with and without the EFI string as well, but no go. Unfortunately more tweaks are needed.

I've had no time to even work on it. I'm thinking of remaking the iPC boot disc and add in the 9400M driver. I wanna say that we put too many kexts in to the system, but I just really don't know too much about OS x. I'll let you know if i have any more success..

Still haven't been able to replicate the audio situation as well, which is incredibly annoying. I really need to start taking notes while I'm working on things like this XD

Who hoo! I got Quartz Extreme & Core Image (QE/CI) working on my dell xps 1340!

I was right in thinking the problem was with the missing memory segment for the bios. If you look at NVDAResman you can see that it's reading the bios and using that to populate resource strings in the I/O registry.

I wound up building my own IOPCIFamily kext to fix the PCI memory resource allocating algorithm so that this memory region is dynamically allocated. Strangely the code doesn't seem to want to make dynamic allocation very easy so the change is a bit complicated/fragile. Will see if I can figure out how to clean it up & post.

Ok, here is my modified version of IOPCIFamily.kext.

[Edit: See 1.1 version posted later for working kext]

That said, I have only tested this with my 9400m based 1340. I'm not sure if this will work with the 9500m based dell 1340, though I think it should. If someone with a 9500m based laptop would test that'd be great. There's some PCI data under linux I'd like to see if anyone is running linux on a 1340 with 9500m.

Anyways, this code still depends upon you using an EFI graphics string to get the relevant kexts to load up. You don't need to use the 1 NVDAResman kext change I posted previously; that kext will load properly without adding any PCI ids to the Info.plist. As for the EFI graphics string, you don't need most of the entries I posted in that plist either, though I'm still figuring out what the necessary&sufficient set of attributes are for everything to work such as dual monitors. If anyone wants to help fill in the blanks there please do. The 9 step process with osx86 tools that I posted before works well enough as a starting point.

So, to install the attached kext use the usual tricks including:

chown -R root:wheel IOPCIFamily.kext
chmod -R 755 IOPCIFamily.kext
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Caches

or whatever your favorite kext install method is.

Source&binary distributions attached.

Maybe I am missing something here or my steps are screwy. I have the EFI string already in my boot file, I added the IOPCIFamily.kext (Thanks bcc9), set my permissions... But I boot into a black screen or sometimes a half black half grey/apple logo. Anyway I am probably missing something, just wanted to check with you guys on this.

Thanks

Maybe I am missing something here or my steps are screwy. I have the EFI string already in my boot file, I added the IOPCIFamily.kext (Thanks bcc9), set my permissions... But I boot into a black screen or sometimes a half black half grey/apple logo. Anyway I am probably missing something, just wanted to check with you guys on this.

Thanks

half black half grey/apple logo, as in the normal apple logo screen that comes up before the GUI switches the screen to solid blue then the desktop, or something distorted? You're not getting a kernel crash error, right?

You're using a EFI string generated from the "Custom GeForce" choice of osx86 tools?

Is your dell a 9400m or 9500m optioned system?

half black half grey/apple logo, as in the normal apple logo screen that comes up before the GUI switches the screen to solid blue then the desktop, or something distorted? You're not getting a kernel crash error, right?

You're using a EFI string generated from the "Custom GeForce" choice of osx86 tools?

Is your dell a 9400m or 9500m optioned system?

Yes, this is the apple logo screen that comes up before the GUI. No Kernel crash that I can see. I am using the EFI string using Custom GeForce from osx86 tools. Mine has the 9500M option.

Thanks