• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

macdanny

macdanny

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
I have hardware that is plug and play in linux, opensuse 11.1. How do I compile these things to work in osx 10.5.6 from linux? Thank you in advance for your help.

Danny

lemmy01

lemmy01

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
You cannot compile linux drivers on osx!
maybe someone could port them to osx .
linux and osx have a different drivermodell so just new compile did not work

Delfistyaosani

Delfistyaosani

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi people :)

I was searching for atheros AR81 family driver for OSX and found nothing except linux drives, does enyine know how to port a driver to OSX? I know devices are open for access in linux, like common files, but I have never written anything under OSX, is there any experienced developer knowing how to do that?

p.s. sorry for my broken English :)

InorganicMatter

InorganicMatter

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
No.

Mac OS X -> Darwin -> FreeBSD

Just because systems are Unix-like and use ls/grep/pwd, doesn't mean they are cross-compatible. Mac OS X is in the vein of true Unix systems along with Solaris/AIX/HP-UX/FreeBSD (to a lesser extent). Linux is based very loosely on these, and can hardly be considered a Unix system. It'd be much easier to port FreeBSD drivers to Mac OS X, but even then it's still a huge endeavor.

Now, that being said, Mac OS X has a full set of APIs, and Atheros' drivers are completely open source, so everything you need is there, and you're more than welcome to get writing the drivers! :)

HaTaX

HaTaX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
Have a question about compiling your own drivers, is there a guide that provides the needed base libraries to go about such a task? I posted this earlier:
http://forum.insanel...o...d=1047099

And they have a FreeBSD driver source included in the download so it may not be such a terrible task to port these over, also the smalltree drivers provide a good model to look at. I'd like to get support for my Intel PRO/1000 PT (82572EI chipset) so I can use that for all my OSes and not use the realtek at all.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy